Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
post the most powerful kickstarters and greatest prongs you got

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

mods pls

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

MrMoo posted:

most chargers are 2.1-2.4 amps these days, 1 amp will literally not charge an iPad and will take an exceedingly long time to charge an iPhone.
standard iphone charger is 1 amp, which will charge an ipad if the screen is off, but it takes longer than overnight

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
ASMR Role Play - Caring and Supportive Power Prong Gives You A Ride Home From The Airport

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

isn't heat dissipation in a vacuum loving awful

yeah, you only have radiative dissipation which is slow as gently caress

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

enough lpugs wont have screws there that they will run into a good amount of opened returns

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
If the lowest your CPU temps can ever go is room temperature, then you're severely limited in how much overclocking you can manage

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

oh, okay - the blurb seemed to suggest that this actually snapped over an existing faceplate, not that it replaced it, and people talking about it getting power from the screws made me think that the ones holding the faceplate were live for some stupid reason.

so followup question - are american electrical outlets really standardised enough that this will just work everywhere, or does your house have to have been built in one particular month using stuff from one particular supplier for this to work?

nearly all domestic american outlets are of the two types shown in the kickstarter, the "duplex" where there's two rounded socket areas that protrude a little and have the securing screw go in the middle, and the "decorator" type that's basically flush and no separation material in the middle. it's been essentially illegal to install new 2 prong only sockets except when you have a specific need to do so for something like a historical monument that should be kept looking old for like 40-50 years.

so yeah just about any house in america that's still legal to live in will have sockets exactly like that. cases of having 4 sockets together are quite rare inside the house though you might find them in the workbench area of a garage or something. cases of radically different outlet arrangements are likely to be found only in very very old homes that never had remodeling done, or places like noisebridge.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Wild EEPROM posted:

My favorite part is how you just jam it in there and hope for the best

MUCH LIEK MY SEX LIFE

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

My favorite part is how

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

uncurable mlady posted:

im rly pissed because i bought some power supplies on amazon that said they were rated for 2 amps but were actually 1 amp :mad:
yeah because it probably had two USB plugs :v:

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
http://www.gofundme.com/memoriespizza

oh god i hope the guy who made this just takes the money and runs

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Space-Pope posted:

http://www.gofundme.com/memoriespizza

oh god i hope the guy who made this just takes the money and runs

lil fun tax fact:
if he takes the money and runs he's on the hook for zero taxes as long as there were no donations from a single person that exceeded 14,000 dollars
if he gives the money to the pizza place people, they'll be on the hook for at least $200,000 i taxes, because the gift exemption stops at 14,000.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

lil fun tax fact:
if he takes the money and runs he's on the hook for zero taxes as long as there were no donations from a single person that exceeded 14,000 dollars
if he gives the money to the pizza place people, they'll be on the hook for at least $200,000 i taxes, because the gift exemption stops at 14,000.

Wait, does GoFundMe not collect all donations then write a single check to the person?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Wait, does GoFundMe not collect all donations then write a single check to the person?

gofundme donations are instantly paid out to the owner of the page, with their cut taken off the top.

as such you don't need to pay taxes on the gifts of money so long as each individual donator never gives you more than $14,000 after gofundme's cut.

if they waited for all the donations to be done before you got the money, then you wouldn't get the money right away, which is the point of the site.

edit: basically gofundme works exactly like having a paypal donate butan on a website, only you get to have descriptions and post updates right on it, and the money doesn't go through paypal but some other provider

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 3, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
someone fund my posting

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

someone fund my posting

i remember someone doing this as a joke in fyad and then actually getting money

poo poo is stupid easy

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Yodzilla posted:

someone fund my posting

I'll chip in 0.0000001 bitcoins if you'll stop

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ayn rand hand job posted:

also it wont work on gcfi outlets which is hilarious given that they show kitchens and bathrooms

gcfi outlets will pop a circuit breaker and stop current flow if somehow the outlet is shorted to ground

like if the connected device is exposed to water

it won't work on the gfic outlet itself but normally the way it is wired up the gfic outlet protects several other outlets downstream of it. you could put the charger outlet on one of them and it would work fine.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
no thank you

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1895389752/sideclick-streamline-your-streaming-experience

hey lets make a universal remote that attaches to your existing remote thus solving no problems that a universal remote would solve

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

stop believing

Sair
May 11, 2007

qntm posted:

stop believing

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

qntm posted:

stop believing

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/795599994/qwerty-keyboard-for-iphone-6

now i have a tool that can let me efficiently use my phone to edit documents, use websites, and possibly, find love:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/47872812/gamersloveconnectioncom

razorscooter fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 9, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

razorscooter posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/795599994/qwerty-keyboard-for-iphone-6

now i have a tool that can let me efficiently use my phone to edit documents, use websites, and possibly, find love:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/47872812/gamersloveconnectioncom

I want that keyboard guy to have his dreams come true.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

I want that keyboard guy to have his dreams come true.

if those dreams include a spellchecker and something that can edit photos, I agree

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

one hundred thousand dollars

lol

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
so just curious, what statistics/research has been done re: what percentage of funded projects actually ship a finished project

i think I read earlier this year that in 2013 it was under 40% for video games but haven't seen anything for other industries and surprise surprise Kickstarter defines 'success' as 'they got their money and we got our cut'

just wondering what sort of risk premium you should be mentally tacking on to any particular project

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tayter Swift posted:

so just curious, what statistics/research has been done re: what percentage of funded projects actually ship a finished project

i think I read earlier this year that in 2013 it was under 40% for video games but haven't seen anything for other industries and surprise surprise Kickstarter defines 'success' as 'they got their money and we got our cut'

just wondering what sort of risk premium you should be mentally tacking on to any particular project

always assume that it either fail miserably or take considerably longer than promised to release

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

always assume that it either fail miserably or take considerably longer than promised to release

and the lag between the ridiculous specs on the thing they don't know how to build means no matter how much money they get and choose to throw at it means it will be waaaaaaay loving behind the curve when it does come out

unless it's a moneyclip/waterbottle/multisuck w/e

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the first la mulana alpha is out :toot:

e: and they're hosting it on google docs lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

the first la mulana alpha is out :toot:

e: and they're hosting it on google docs lol

Lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

http://www.talesofgames.com/game/barkley-2-revenge-of-cuchulainn/

lol their official site still says Q4 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
this just showed up in my twitter as an ad https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1389924514/innovative-mini-burger-press-and-freezer-container

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06wAZmWYWik

apparently it's not their first kickstarter?

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

cool i often want 1/4 lb servings of soup or stew or spaghetti sauce

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/michael-t-slager-support-fund

A local worthless and horrendous one. . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
remarkably even gofundme won't host a fundraiser for that guy

• Locked thread