Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I read an interesting explanation of this once, apparently translators find Japanese text difficult to translate and still fit naturally into the necessary scene times, because Japanese people take forever to say anything. The result is a lot of superfluous time that needs to be filled in with something or other when you translate to English.

Yeah there's lots of repetition and feedback loops for clarity in Japanese conversation structure. Metal Gear is indeed a great example. Compare MGS 1 where the translators were able to edit more with MGS2 onward where Konami took a more straightforward, literal translation (due to "purists" whining about MGS1.) 2 has Snake constantly asking about stuff he was already told and that's an artifact left over from Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Mokinokaro posted:

(due to "purists" whining about MGS1.)

I read that it actually was due to Kojima wanting to be more hands on with the translations from MGS2 onwards.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Kojima is almost certainly a purist that whined about MGS1.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
That sort of translation being overly true to the original japanese just makes Snake sound...slow. He's apparently a genius but in the english translation he comes off as not just kind of goofy but kind of outright dumb.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Steins;Gate is super egregious because all of the poo poo you go through with Faris in the longest segment with her is like right after all the poo poo hits the fan. People are dying horribly, the main character is starting to crack under the mental strain, conspiracies are being revealed....WELL IT'S TIME FOR AN ANIME CARD GAME TOURNAMENT I GUESS. And then, in the midst of all this poo poo about crazy time travel fascism, some thugs want to beat you up because you're good at cards. That is really a super jarring change of stakes.

The ending is totally worth it though, in my opinion. S;G is really clever.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
if we didn't have incredibly verbose characters in metal gear, we would never hear classic gems like ear pulling and sigint's nightmare.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Slime posted:

That sort of translation being overly true to the original japanese just makes Snake sound...slow. He's apparently a genius but in the english translation he comes off as not just kind of goofy but kind of outright dumb.

METAL GEAR?!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Nidhogg is a 1-on-1 fencing game with a super minimalistic graphical style that's an amazing mess of colors and pixels that looks awesome and distinctive and accents the precise gameplay wonderfully.

Nidhogg 2 was just announced and it looks like...this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That looks loving cool man.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
ah the classic "it looks different so im going to scream" tactic

i do admit that it looks odd that its a homer simpson battle arena, but thinking of it like that makes it better

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You need to spoiler the second set of images, they'll get massive belly laughs if people can't see them right away

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They upgraded from the 1980's to the 1990's. Good for them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The nidhogg looks cool as an even uglier beast, but boy yeah those player characters are kinda ehhhhhh.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm a sucker for idle games. If the look and feel of it is solid enough, I'll stick with it for a decent amount of time.

But there's one thing that can actively discourage me, it's the lack of an actual idle mechanic. I don't care how charming the graphics or music is, if I have to leave the drat game up to make my numbers get bigger, I'm out.

Another mobile game mechanic that'll turn me off: any sort of shield/pay-iap-to-temporarily-shield mechanic. I don't tend to play a lot of multiplayer games on my phone, so when they crop up in what is generally a single-player game, I'm out.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
dead rising 2

I know I'm late to the party on this, but I like the bosses and their gimmicks but some pretty much require u to cheese their pathfinding to even have a fighting chance.

also it's annoying to reach a zone boundary that isn't a closed door bc I can't gauge whether or not my survivors are close enough to follow me until I load into the next zone.

I don't like clicking in the stick to dodge roll. feels weird, and I'm not too confident in the roll itself.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
With time limits I'm generally not a fan but I recognize that games like Majora's Mask or Star Control 2 have given me more than enough time to dick around and still make progess (and MM also has a fast travel system so you can basically set aside one run of three days to tackle the dungeon, and you can slow down time by 2x and so on.)

Related to this, though, It Came From the Desert on the Amiga and PC had a 15 day limit which had some tricky parts to it. You drive to a place by clicking on the map and a set ETA passes based on where you're driving from, BUT time also goes by at a minute per second while you're scrolling across the map and the arrow moves pretty slowly (at least on the PC) so you're adding anywhere from half an hour to an hour of game time just finding your next destination. It's not that big in the scheme of things but it seems like an odd choice.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Terminally Bored posted:

I really liked Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk, wanted something similar.

Edit: 999 and the sequels were awesome, too. Had none of that meta anime stuff either.

I really like Phoenix Wright and Zero Escape and heard Danganronpa is similar but man, that art style. I don't dislike anime as a rule or anything, but that specific anime art style is just ridiculously hideous and off putting to me.Since half the the fun in those games is watching how the intricate character animations correspond to the dialogue I decided to skip it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hyrule Warriors: So I spent this money for new fancy characters... that I often can't play as in adventure mode, pretty much the mode you will be playing the most on, as a ton of the missions are character locked.

Also character locked missions in Hyrule Warriors, some characters I plain don't like playing as but I gotta play as them to get further in adventure mode.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The Moon Monster posted:

I really like Phoenix Wright and Zero Escape and heard Danganronpa is similar but man, that art style. I don't dislike anime as a rule or anything, but that specific anime art style is just ridiculously hideous and off putting to me.Since half the the fun in those games is watching how the intricate character animations correspond to the dialogue I decided to skip it.

I thought the art style for Dangan Ronpa worked fairly well for the type of story it was trying to tell. The main issue I had with it was aspects of the sequels translation are sloppy enough to completely change the context behind certain events, although I liked the ending a lot. Looking forward to DR3 in January. Hopefully it reaches steam too.

Edit: OK, watching the anime now. I like the idea of whre thje future arc went and for the Despair arc I'm loving the homeroom teacher/Ultimate Housekeeper. She's pretty great.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:53 on Oct 2, 2016

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
[quote="Guy Mann" post="464845750"]

/quote]

I'm the nipples and belly button that look like a face.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What're the worst inventory systems you've ever encountered?

For me, Resident Evil 5's. Everything takes a slot, including armor and not everything stacks, yikes. What a Nightmare! :v:

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I'm currently restarting Shadow of Mordor. My original complaint 2 years ago was that I was getting hunted by 2 or 3 captains who powereed up on my rear end over and over again. They were all warchief bodyguards too so it was an excercise is frustration trying to progress the storyline at the early stages because I was getting regularly stomped, creating a cascading failure effect. This was my first Batman game so I wasn't familiar with the fighting, and the nemesis system definitely took advantage of it. I put the game down after countless attempts and was too burnt out to restart.

FF two years and one Arkham City later and now I've restarted and am really enjoying the game. I'm not quite to the area I was before but things are going a lot more smoothly and I'm not getting constantly dunked.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RareAcumen posted:

For me, Resident Evil 5's. Everything takes a slot, including armor and not everything stacks, yikes. What a Nightmare! :v:

I've only watched people play No Man's Sky and I'm pretty sure it's that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RareAcumen posted:

To have this debate we have to immediately disqualify Mass Effect 1, whose inventory doesn't have enough logic or interface to even be considered a 'system'. Also because if we allow ME1 it'll just be the one everyone agrees on.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

there wolf lmao posted:

I'm currently restarting Shadow of Mordor. My original complaint 2 years ago was that I was getting hunted by 2 or 3 captains who powereed up on my rear end over and over again. They were all warchief bodyguards too so it was an excercise is frustration trying to progress the storyline at the early stages because I was getting regularly stomped, creating a cascading failure effect. This was my first Batman game so I wasn't familiar with the fighting, and the nemesis system definitely took advantage of it. I put the game down after countless attempts and was too burnt out to restart.

FF two years and one Arkham City later and now I've restarted and am really enjoying the game. I'm not quite to the area I was before but things are going a lot more smoothly and I'm not getting constantly dunked.

That's a well-known problem of SoM, it gets harder the worse you are and vice versa. The nemesis system fell flat for me because I only died to an orc once in the entire game (I hadn't fully figured out how Last Chance worked yet). I'm not sure what the solution would be.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

How about Earthbound? Your inventory is tiny, equipped items take up a slot, there are a shitload of key items you need to hold on to, and nothing stacks. There was also a condiment systems where if you ate a hamburger it would also use the packet of ketchup in your inventory and heal you for a higher amount, but then you had to use 2 slots for a single healing consumable so it was in no way ever worth it.

You can cut it some slack for being ancient, but it felt bad even compared to its contemporaries.

Phlegmish posted:

That's a well-known problem of SoM, it gets harder the worse you are and vice versa. The nemesis system fell flat for me because I only died to an orc once in the entire game (I hadn't fully figured out how Last Chance worked yet). I'm not sure what the solution would be.

Difficulty levels, I think. I found the default SoM difficulty way easier than the default Batman difficulty, so if there was a difficulty where SoM was as hard as Batman I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I'm also replaying Shadow of Mordor, and my little thing dragging it down is that some of the attack animations are too similar to others. There's a shitload of them, but a few of them are pretty much exactly the same as another, just with an extra slash at the end. Sometimes I wait for the extra slash and it fucks up my combo. It's a super little thing, though.

Also sometimes there's no incoming attack icon on ranged enemies and I'm suddenly at critical health without realising it. I think it might be a captain ability, but I'm not sure. It's just annoying.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Where Shadow of Mordor gets lame is when you decide to manipulate the nemesis system by intentionally dying to orc captains in order to raise their level. 2 hours of hunting down Ugachaka the Giggler just to stand there while he murders you and giggles gets old in about 2 hours.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

im pooping! posted:

Where Shadow of Mordor gets lame is when you decide to manipulate the nemesis system by intentionally dying to orc captains in order to raise their level. 2 hours of hunting down Ugachaka the Giggler just to stand there while he murders you and giggles gets old in about 2 hours.

Or you could do one of the side activities dedicated to letting you actively power up and promote orc captains by doing things like crashing duels to kill the person challenging them or sneaking along with their hunts and killing the critters for them. And then let them kill you for the extra boost.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RareAcumen posted:

I've always said they should have kept the suitcase inventory from 4 and made the throwback 3 × 3 grid as a hotbar for quick access to herbs and items you wanna instantly equip in during coop play.

is there a win state to ante up in dead rising 2? not sure what I'm supposed to do to clear it.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Or you could do one of the side activities dedicated to letting you actively power up and promote orc captains by doing things like crashing duels to kill the person challenging them or sneaking along with their hunts and killing the critters for them. And then let them kill you for the extra boost.

I tried that but it takes even longer. Thanks anyway :)

*e actually I have the platinum trophy for the game and I don't recall that levelling up orc captains aside from making one into a warchief from a newbie was required. I guess the game for me just has very little replay value.

im pooping! has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Oct 2, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Borderlands had an inventory system that was so cramped there wasn't enough space to show all the stats and bonuses for your gun unless you modded it, meaning your gun could have one or two effects you'd have no way of knowing about beforehand.

Also Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced being such a stat-focused game on a tiny screen meant you'd have to go two or three menus deep on each weapon to see all of its stats and experience levels.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Another thing about shadow of Mordor: the my strongest nemesis is immune to everything - stealth, finishers, beasts, and he takes most of my health in one hit and poisons me down to no health. I just killed him for the first time by arrowidng him like 15 times and interrogating him, but because I can't kill him with a combat finisher to decapitate him (which is only a loving CHANCE to decap uruk) he's probably gonna come back. How the gently caress do I permanently kill him without combat finishers or feeding him to a graug?

So annoyed that combat finishers only give you a chance of decaps! How am I to kill this douche?

E: I haven't gotten branding yet and I'm still pretty far out from it, so do I ha e to just wait until then so he can get way stronger with less weaknesses by that time?

knobgobblin has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Oct 2, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I missed out on the KOTOR 2 chat, but I want to echo that Kreia is annoying. I was okay with her until she was like "Maybe being good is actually bad :smugdog:" thing where you give money to a beggar, then said beggar immediately gets killed because reasons. I get it's trying to do a whole duality thing but it was so hamfisted and :jerkbag: that it took me completely out of the game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

im pooping! posted:

I tried that but it takes even longer. Thanks anyway :)

*e actually I have the platinum trophy for the game and I don't recall that levelling up orc captains aside from making one into a warchief from a newbie was required. I guess the game for me just has very little replay value.

If they win a duel, survive a beast hunt etc., they level up. Not that it makes much of a difference unless they get Combat Mastery in the process, by far the most useful trait for an orc captain to have.

there wolf lmao posted:

Another thing about shadow of Mordor: the my strongest nemesis is immune to everything - stealth, finishers, beasts, and he takes most of my health in one hit and poisons me down to no health. I just killed him for the first time by arrowidng him like 15 times and interrogating him, but because I can't kill him with a combat finisher to decapitate him (which is only a loving CHANCE to decap uruk) he's probably gonna come back. How the gently caress do I permanently kill him without combat finishers or feeding him to a graug?

Out of the dozens and dozens of orc captains that I killed, only two came back that I can remember, regardless of how I killed them. Don't be so sure he'll be back.

e: there's also a rune that gives you immunity to poison, I equipped it as soon as possible.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Oct 2, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

I've only watched people play No Man's Sky and I'm pretty sure it's that.

The problems with NMS' inventory system are that upgrades take up slots, which means you can't really upgrade your stuff without losing the ability to carry stuff and how items don't stack. Which means if you want to do the only actual story in the game you're losing like 15 item slots because you have to carry those Atlas stones all the way to the end of the path.

I've been playing the Dead Island remaster and something that's pretty stupid is how they give the player characters these elaborate backstories that have no bearing on anything at all.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Phlegmish posted:

If they win a duel, survive a beast hunt etc., they level up. Not that it makes much of a difference unless they get Combat Mastery in the process, by far the most useful trait for an orc captain to have.

Out of the dozens and dozens of orc captains that I killed, only two came back that I can remember, regardless of how I killed them. Don't be so sure he'll be back.

e: there's also a rune that gives you immunity to poison, I equipped it as soon as possible.

Here's hoping that he doesn't! Will come back with more vitriol of he does haha

What weapon did the poison resist item you found work for?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pretty sure it's an Epic rune for your dagger.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I take it back, I'm going to play Shadow of Mordor right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

I get it's trying to do a whole duality thing

Like I said earlier, Kreia isn't doing a duality thing. Her point there was "you don't have enough control to actually do good in this horrible universe, isnt that just infuriating, wouldn't it be nice if you did? Oh look at all this Sith literature I dropped everywhere, how clumsy of me."

Poorly communicated but still better than "actually there's no difference between good and bad things" which is how I read it the first time.