Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
badlock: dat hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

adorai posted:

badlock: dat hype

What does "Badlock" stand for?

"Badlock" was meant to be a rather generic name and does not point to any specifics.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At least everybody is now going to ignore the branded vulnerabilities.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

At least POODLE stood for something real

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I thought the strained backronym that was DROWN was a low point

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

siggy2021 posted:

One of my switches died today and the only spare switch I have is not POE and doesn't have the right fiber connections to go back to my core switch. I've been stuck here loving around with a workaround since part of the building is out until I get my replacement switch tomorrow.

I'm also not much of a network guy, it's been about 10 years since I've hosed with it, but we don't really have one here anyways. I think I might do a refresher of old stuff I used to know then start buckling down for a CCNA because gently caress being lost and confused with only the basics.

Also gently caress whoever decided to by all HP procurve networking garbage when they put this building up and gently caress whoever decided not to have spares of everything on hand in case this happens.

ProCurve (not the rebranded 3com) gear is actually pretty good. Sorry for your lack of planning. If you're responsible for fixing the situation then you're responsible for having spares ready.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

ProCurve (not the rebranded 3com) gear is actually pretty good. Sorry for your lack of planning. If you're responsible for fixing the situation then you're responsible for having spares ready.

I've been pretty pleased with the ProCurve quiet fanless switches but thats the only ProCurve series equipment I've ever used.

Whats the name of that phishing campaign software? Know4Sure or something like that? I want to get that into our budget for next year so I can appease the ultra paranoid board.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Internet Explorer posted:

I dunno, this sounds like one of those situations where nobody is actually responsible for the stuff until one day it suddenly doesn't work

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Are there companies where that's now how it works or something?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do companies exist where one person has one job role or is everything now three people each do a third of three different tasks - to guarantee duplication of effort and issues caused by poor communication.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just got offered the office of the guy who left. Feels good! Even better yet, I still get to work from home for 4 days out of the week!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Thanks Ants posted:

Do companies exist where one person has one job role or is everything now three people each do a third of three different tasks - to guarantee duplication of effort and issues caused by poor communication.
It depends. Do you prefer raw productivity or people being able to take vacation days?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
ugh we made some changes to GPO and disallowed running things as another user (run as admin was already disabled)

I have to log out and log back in as my domain admin account (no mapped drives and no roaming profile) to actually do anything now...
or RDP into a server and run poo poo there.

Either way it's a giant pain in the dick to not be able to do stuff quickly.

The fastest way for me to actually do anything with .msc would be just to have them on a thumb drive right? I mean I could navigate to my network storage folder but the share names are long af.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why would you disable run as another user unless you hate your desktop support people?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ugh we made some changes to GPO and disallowed running things as another user (run as admin was already disabled)

I have to log out and log back in as my domain admin account (no mapped drives and no roaming profile) to actually do anything now...
or RDP into a server and run poo poo there.

Either way it's a giant pain in the dick to not be able to do stuff quickly.

The fastest way for me to actually do anything with .msc would be just to have them on a thumb drive right? I mean I could navigate to my network storage folder but the share names are long af.

Whoever decided to disable run-as another user is a complete idiot. There isn't any upside to making that change. It doesn't make anything more secure.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Whats the name of that phishing campaign software? Know4Sure or something like that? I want to get that into our budget for next year so I can appease the ultra paranoid board.

KnowBe4. I called them up last week after the reviews here on SA and I was expecting a price tag 10x what they asked. Didn't even need budget approval I was just like here's my card make it happen fellas.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Collateral Damage posted:

Why would you disable run as another user unless you hate your desktop support people?

Wasn't my call. I just came in today and it was done.

Sickening posted:

Whoever decided to disable run-as another user is a complete idiot. There isn't any upside to making that change. It doesn't make anything more secure.

psure it was the boss. So yeah.

Serious question though... you think the .msc thumb drive on my lanyard is a bad idea? I mean I could navigate to
\\wholleyffuckthisisalongsharename-eatadick\desktopsupport$\lolnotyet\importantfiles\relevantimportantfiles\heres300foldersyoudontneed\theoneyoudo\gnarlycharlie4u and get the stuff I need every time.

Or, ya know rdp into a domain controller :smith:

oh I forgot... the best part is the way we disabled "run as admin"
It still shows up in the right click menu, but UAC is blocked so if you actually click on something to run it as admin, it throws you into an endless loop of the prompt popping up and being immediately closed. At which point you have to just unplug the computer, glue your hair back on, and call it a day.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 13, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can you make a virtual machine that you use for admin tasks?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sheep posted:

KnowBe4. I called them up last week after the reviews here on SA and I was expecting a price tag 10x what they asked. Didn't even need budget approval I was just like here's my card make it happen fellas.
Huh, that's pretty cool. We get a lot of phishing campaigns thanks to publicly available email addresses, I'm going to look into this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GreenNight posted:

Can you make a virtual machine that you use for admin tasks?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
*sips water*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

edit: even then, it would still require me to remote into something every time I needed to do a quick simple task.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
*sips water*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

edit: even then, it would still require me to remote into something every time I needed to do a quick simple task.

You have a bizarre job. I do not miss big corp IT where the SR guys lockdown their lower admins to the point of them barely being power users. The truth is the customized restricted access takes planning and effort and simply restricting as much as possible is just easier.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sickening posted:

I do not miss big corp IT

It's the smallest of local governments. Basically we transitioned from a contracted out IT department with a CTO to an all in house IT department with a former contractor that BECAME the new CTO by throwing the last one under the bus.

We inherited a complete shitshow a little more than a year ago, and have been working our asses off to remedy the situation.
We've also made our fair share of terrible choices though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Guy says our product is only certified on CiscoUCM 6.x. I tell him no, we are certified on 8.6 and 9.1.

He doesn't believe me.

I send him the certs.

He doesn't believe me.

I forward him a email from cisco saying what I said.

HE DOESN'T BELIEVE CISCO.

At this point he's either loving with me, or he is trying to CYA really hard because he hosed up big. I am going to go with the latter.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Psh what does Cisco know tbh?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Psh what does Cisco know tbh?

While this is a valid point, Cisco doesn't gently caress around with Certs.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah... I can understand your boss being a stupid, but I'd fight that GPO change for the sake of actually being able to work.

UAC hasn't also been disabled has it?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Super Slash posted:

Yeah... I can understand your boss being a stupid, but I'd fight that GPO change for the sake of actually being able to work.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh I forgot... the best part is the way we disabled "run as admin"
It still shows up in the right click menu, but UAC is blocked so if you actually click on something to run it as admin, it throws you into an endless loop of the prompt popping up and being immediately closed. At which point you have to just unplug the computer, glue your hair back on, and call it a day.

It's actually quite loving hilarious.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Super Slash posted:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

but UAC is blocked

I told this to my totally green employee and even he thought it's batshit insane.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
From what I have heard, 99% of the time the reason some random program needs UAC privileges is because they are writing to some syslog file instead of doing it properly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

From what I have heard, 99% of the time the reason some random program needs UAC privileges is because they are writing to some syslog file instead of doing it properly.

I'm not sure what you're talking about there. UAC elevation occurs when a program needs to perform an administrative action (things like changing system settings, installing a program or driver, changing something to do with another account, running any kind of mmc snapin or administrative/system tool, etc). It's usually pretty predictable too.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Does this list include fanny packs and the misplacement thereof?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
We block uac prompts. Changing settings in a lot of programs requires us to log in as admin, promote the user to local admin, log in as user, make the change, log out, log back in as admin, remove the user from local admin, log back in as user.

I guess it saves us from calls from users asking for admin credentials when prompted but it feels like a huge headache.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

We block uac prompts. Changing settings in a lot of programs requires us to log in as admin, promote the user to local admin, log in as user, make the change, log out, log back in as admin, remove the user from local admin, log back in as user.

I guess it saves us from calls from users asking for admin credentials when prompted but it feels like a huge headache.

And there's a risk of forgetting to undo some permission.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not sure what you're talking about there. UAC elevation occurs when a program needs to perform an administrative action (things like changing system settings, installing a program or driver, changing something to do with another account, running any kind of mmc snapin or administrative/system tool, etc). It's usually pretty predictable too.

Ok, I should have specified bad programs that have no business needing UAC elevation.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

What drives me the most nuts, is that Optishot, the software for my at-home Golf Simulator, prompts loving UAC to run.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

I dunno, this sounds like one of those situations where nobody is actually responsible for the stuff until one day it suddenly doesn't work

That is basically the case. I was just the guy who happened to find the problem, so I'm the guy who had to fix it. I also thought we had a spare, but it turned out it was sitting in a cabinet because the person who was supposed to RMA it never did.

As for Procurves not being bad, maybe they aren't as bad as I think but I've run into problems recently and have had 2 die completely in the past month. Our configuration is also all hosed up but I'm afraid to start touching it.

Also, hp sent me a newer model (2920 instead of a 2910) and that is super cool but I wish they would have told me. My 10 Gb SFP module isn't compatible with the 2920 so now I need to wait for that to come in tomorrow.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Ugh, Dell does that too. Pro support on monitors, a 16:9 monitor breaks. "We don't have that model anymore so here's the next best thing, the 16:10 version!"

It doesn't work like that Dell, you need to send me the next year's 16:9 so my poo poo matches.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ugh, Dell does that too. Pro support on monitors, a 16:9 monitor breaks. "We don't have that model anymore so here's the next best thing, the 16:10 version!"

It doesn't work like that Dell, you need to send me the next year's 16:9 so my poo poo matches.

Uh...

It sounds like Dell is actually in the right here? gently caress 16:9 forever for actual work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

psydude posted:

Does this list include fanny packs and the misplacement thereof?

That would fall into the 'I' category. Not the 'we (or they)

Potato Alley posted:

Uh...

It sounds like Dell is actually in the right here? gently caress 16:9 forever for actual work.

Yeah, I have to agree. 16:10 supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah but it drives some people nuts when the bezels on their monitors dont match and line up exactly perfect. Theres someone I work with who has put in a ticket for this like every 7 months complaining to help desk about it.