Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

all I know is I didn't like any of the movies of his that I saw, even before I knew who he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
you didn't like Dawn of the Dead?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

I'm gonna say there's one that's 100% envisioned by the fans. They're almost diametrically-different types of writer/directors who ended up helming two opposing comic universes' franchise-establishing films, so there's definitely been a CHOOSE YOUR SIDE kinda vibe on the internet that lotsa folks have fallen into (including myself).

In the case of Sucker Punch, people like to project its whole "hot girls kicking rear end is not actually empowering" message onto Whedon's works despite it not really fitting, and despite Snyder (to my knowledge) having given no indication that it was ever supposed to be an indictment of Whedon specifically.

I'd sort of like them to post a photo of themselves having a friendly laugh and sharing a drink at the Justice League wrap party, maybe captioned, "Many thanks to my good pal Joss Whedon for helping to get this project over the finishing line! :)" or something like that, because I feel like it would bother people who take these things too seriously.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SleepCousinDeath posted:

you didn't like Dawn of the Dead?

not particularly no

but then I don't like that sort of film much to begin with

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd sort of like them to post a photo of themselves having a friendly laugh and sharing a drink at the Justice League wrap party, maybe captioned, "Many thanks to my good pal Joss Whedon for helping to get this project over the finishing line! :)" or something like that, because I feel like it would bother people who take these things too seriously.
The dumbest thing in this whole tribal war is the idea that DC/WB treats their directors better and are the more "auteur" of the superhero movie game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm gonna use the fact that there's a comic adaptation of do androids dream of electronic sheep to say that I just got out of blade runner and it is well worth seeing in theaters

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WB let Ayer make another movie after he turned in... that, so I don't know seems like they're pretty nice.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Just saw the Justice League trailer. Now, I was shocked by this but I liked Wonder Women The Movie despite not liking her in the comics, but, outside of her, I don't really care. I should care about Cyborg because I love the cartoon from the 00s but I can't bother a poo poo about this one. Batman just...seems off. I mean, just feels like the wrong actor and him making quips is weird. Aquaman always feels a little too excited, but I'm kind of okay with that because I like Brave n Bold Aquaman who was intentional corny (yes, he is visibly trying too hard, but his personality feels over eager which reminds me of BnB Aquaman).

The big killer, though, is all those explosions and CGI. It's all so...bland. I mean, I get it: Apokolpis is invading Earth. The villain is Darkseid. Superman will come back from the dead or Lois Lane will become Superwoman like in the comics (but I really doubt that). It's all so...visually muddy and boring, though. I just can't work up a crap to give.

Hopefully, it turns out good. Hopefully, people eager to see it enjoy the film. But, I don't have my hopes up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Funeral For a Friend started up like right after #75 in November 1992.

They put the books on a two and a half month hiatus right after that. There was a Legacy of Superman one shot and that was pretty much it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SonicRulez posted:

Hawkeye sat out of a lot of the first Avengers movie, but he does quite a bit in the second one. That's how he ended up breaking out as a character.

I like Batfleck in a bubble, but I don't think I'll ever get used to a Batman so heavily associated with bullets. It was weird to get that slow-mo shell casing shot.

Yeah misspoke, I meant he was barely in the marketing

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

They put the books on a two and a half month hiatus right after that. There was a Legacy of Superman one shot and that was pretty much it.

Are you talking about maybe after Funeral For a Friend? Because Superman #75 hit stands on November 18, 1992 and then Adventures of Superman #498, which was part one of Funeral For a Friend, hit stands on December 9, 1992. So that's three weeks.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mistakes into miracles.

Lobok posted:

The Death and Rebirth of Superman is hard to get excited about when we haven't felt his absence. When he died in the comics it's not like DC stopped all its publishing. Readers experienced the DC universe without him. But in this case we're simply waiting for the next movie to come out with nothing happening in between. I'm sure in the actual movie he'll make a late and dramatic arrival but as for anticipating the movie it's not a big deal.

I don't even know if his death really has much impact given the stinger and the fact that we had only one movie with this iteration.

To borrow MCU's "phase" terminology, I'd say the way to go would be to kill off Supes at the end of Phase 1 and then not bring him back until the end of phase 2 or 3 so you could end up with a solid chunk both with and without him, and then really able to have his return be a major turning point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

fruit on the bottom posted:

I don't even know if his death really has much impact given the stinger and the fact that we had only one movie with this iteration.

To borrow MCU's "phase" terminology, I'd say the way to go would be to kill off Supes at the end of Phase 1 and then not bring him back until the end of phase 2 or 3 so you could end up with a solid chunk both with and without him, and then really able to have his return be a major turning point.

"Taking time to build things up" is definitely not on the DCCU agenda.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Lurdiak posted:

"Taking time to build things up" is definitely not on the DCCU agenda.

Well, I sort of get it. If they made an individual movie for everyone before the JL movie they'd get accused of ripping off the MCU more than they already do.

But it's a form that works and you really can't just rush to the climax and finish if you haven't gotten the audience off yet.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The "Take time to build things up" stuff never really held any water with me. I like that Marvel did that, but I don't need DC to also do it. Almost every other movie I watch is full of characters that have never existed prior to that movie and it works just fine. When I watched Ocean's 11 I didn't need solo movies for each of the crew first to understand who they were because the movie did a good job of telling me that. Most people at least have a fleeting idea of who these superheroes are even if they're not nerds. The problem isn't building the characters up. The problem is just not making good use of them in the movie or just simply making a bad movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

The "Take time to build things up" stuff never really held any water with me. I like that Marvel did that, but I don't need DC to also do it. Almost every other movie I watch is full of characters that have never existed prior to that movie and it works just fine. When I watched Ocean's 11 I didn't need solo movies for each of the crew first to understand who they were because the movie did a good job of telling me that. Most people at least have a fleeting idea of who these superheroes are even if they're not nerds. The problem isn't building the characters up. The problem is just not making good use of them in the movie or just simply making a bad movie.

Eh, if you're going to make a billion interconnected movies anyway, surely the team-up should happen after the origin stories.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
That's fair, but I think with some like Superman's death you absolutely need that sort of stuff if for no other reason than to sell the idea that it has lasting consequences that aren't just going to be reversed immediately.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, if you're going to make a billion interconnected movies anyway, surely the team-up should happen after the origin stories.

You can do it either way, you just have to do it well.

That's fair, but I think with some like Superman's death you absolutely need that sort of stuff if for no other reason than to sell the idea that it has lasting consequences that aren't just going to be reversed immediately.

Oh, I'm not saying there's not some dumb poo poo. Doing Superman's death right off the bat is one of the dumbest things these movies have done. I'm just saying I didn't need a Batman movie or an Aquaman movie or a Cyborg movie before Justice League. Hell two of those I don't need at all.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

X-O posted:

Not really a fair comparison. You may not know anything about the characters in Ocean's 11 prior to seeing the film, but you do know all about the actors, and it was the actors in that film that were the real draw. It was basically a gimmick movie, to the point that one of the sequels makes meta jokes about the franchise's star power.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

3 or 4 of them maybe.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think it depends on the character. Like, everyone knows who Spider-Man and Batman are. You don't need origin movies for them anymore. Iron man, Thor, and wonder woman you probably know they exist but not know their stories so its not necessary per say but it can't hurt. Aquaman, you've heard he's the guy who talks to fish. Probably could use a movie to establish that he's not just a joke character. Cyborg? Who the gently caress even is cyborg and why is he worth being on a team that has giants like Superman and wonder woman?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, to be clear...it's not that they didn't try to be build things up to a shared universe, it's that their attempt ended up being Green Lantern.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

For real and no poo poo. Otherwise there's no stakes.

We got ONE superman movie before they went ahead and killed him. I'm not necessarily saying they needed 5 solo movies either but I mean god drat. We barely even got see him BE superman.

I'm not sure what to make of the JL trailer at this point but I'm setting my expectations low. Looks like it could be fun but also looks like it could be real poo poo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

I think it depends on the character. Like, everyone knows who Spider-Man and Batman are. You don't need origin movies for them anymore. Iron man, Thor, and wonder woman you probably know they exist but not know their stories so its not necessary per say but it can't hurt. Aquaman, you've heard he's the guy who talks to fish. Probably could use a movie to establish that he's not just a joke character. Cyborg? Who the gently caress even is cyborg and why is he worth being on a team that has giants like Superman and wonder woman?

By your logic who is going to go see a Cyborg movie featuring an actor who's never been in another film if you don't plug him into a Justice League film first. And who's gonna see the Superhero that talks to fish movie starring the lovely Conan and direct to DVD/TV actor if not seeing him in Justice League first? There's a reason you never saw a Hawkeye or Nick Fury movie for instance and they have actual stars in actual movies playing those roles.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 9, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Why are they bringing Gandalf back right after he died in the previous film? It seems like there are no long lasting consequences if they're just going to reverse things immediately.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

By your logic who is going to go see a Cyborg movie featuring an actor who's never been in another film if you don't plug him into a Justice League film first. And who's gonna see the Superhero that talks to fish movie starring the lovely Conan and direct to DVD/TV actor if not seeing him in Justice League first? There's a reason you never saw a Hawkeye or Nick Fury movie for instance and they have actual stars in actual movies playing those roles.

If they say it's A Justice League Movie I'm sure people would still go see it

Also although yeah a Jeremy renner hawkeye movie would probably boring, his bourne spinoff was pretty mediocre, you can't tell me a sam jackson nick fury wouldn't be popular

site fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 9, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sam Jackson can't do much more than sit or stand at his age anymore.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I was gonna say ten years ago during phase 1 but dang he's a lot older than he looks huh

That's okay just liberal use of stuntmen

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Did anyone see the Hitman's bodyguard? How did he do in that?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

yeah he's normally just associated with brain damage and paralysis

and bombs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn_FMsoTkGY

I was sure that was gonna be the Batman 66 clip.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Are you talking about maybe after Funeral For a Friend? Because Superman #75 hit stands on November 18, 1992 and then Adventures of Superman #498, which was part one of Funeral For a Friend, hit stands on December 9, 1992. So that's three weeks.

Yes, I was phone posting and responding to that. After part 9 the books went on hiatus until REIGN.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

site posted:

I was gonna say ten years ago during phase 1 but dang he's a lot older than he looks huh

That's okay just liberal use of stuntmen

Who needs stuntmen? Nick Fury awakens from surgery, tears his IV and PIC tube out and press-gangs/takes his low level SHIELD bodyguard hostage. The pair stealthily escape the hospital until a firefight featuring a surprising number of staff and civilians who are heavily armed with HYDRA-tech weaponry breaks out. They escape, and Nick (still weak from surgery) lays out how there are at least five active members of HYDRA working in the upper echelons of DC who were actively behind this, and how they have to be taken out immediately while not arousing suspicion. Also, it just so happens he's got a few spare LMDs of past SHIELD agents left in cold storage hidden in an offsite bunker just in case of such an event.

It's somewhere between Ocean's Eleven and John Wick.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
How long into Justice League until someone mentions Cyborg's natural athleticism?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Why are they bringing Gandalf back right after he died in the previous film? It seems like there are no long lasting consequences if they're just going to reverse things immediately.

Oh, well if there are only going to be three movies in the DC universe...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Oh, well if there are only going to be three movies in the DC universe...

God if only we were so lucky.

(Also technically 6.)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Father Wendigo posted:

Who needs stuntmen? Nick Fury awakens from surgery, tears his IV and PIC tube out and press-gangs/takes his low level SHIELD bodyguard hostage. The pair stealthily escape the hospital until a firefight featuring a surprising number of staff and civilians who are heavily armed with HYDRA-tech weaponry breaks out. They escape, and Nick (still weak from surgery) lays out how there are at least five active members of HYDRA working in the upper echelons of DC who were actively behind this, and how they have to be taken out immediately while not arousing suspicion. Also, it just so happens he's got a few spare LMDs of past SHIELD agents left in cold storage hidden in an offsite bunker just in case of such an event.

It's somewhere between Ocean's Eleven and John Wick.

Good excuse to have a dum dum cameo

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

site posted:

Good excuse to have a dum dum cameo

It's pretty much an excuse to make an ensemble piece with the Howlin' Commandos and TV Agents of SHIELD in The Fast & The Furious (edit: and also Death Wish or John Wick, forgot about that part) with a Disney budget.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 9, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
After what I saw of him being Superman, I almost wish he could just be dead and serve as some eternal reminder of how good people can be. Like Barry Allen, but they never do Superman: Rebirth after Cyborg 2 or whatever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

After what I saw of him being Superman, I almost wish he could just be dead and serve as some eternal reminder of how good people can be.

But didn't everyone hate him before he died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

But didn't everyone hate him before he died

Good point.

Lex (only mentioned off camera) created Bizzaro accidentally in an attempt to play God previous to the events of BvS. (WB execs want comic relief, right?) Bizzaro replaces Superman for all but the last ten minutes of the movie, where Clark Kent (having hidden off camera the entire movie because people don't deserve saving, his momma told him so) is moved to tears and fists when Bizzaro sacrifices his life in a futile attempt to stop Darkseid from destroying Metropolis (... and also the earth's core, somehow.... I don't know.)

Superman then punches Darkseid into another realm of time and space and promises to be a better man in honor of Bizzaro.

• Locked thread