Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
tbh you should be hitting one of your brakes while engine braking. I don't trust people behind me to realize I'm slowing down without some kind of obvious visual indicator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

It's gonna confuse the poo poo out of people when the helmet one lights up but your bike's brake doesn't as you're engine braking. Seems kinda useless tbh

But they're disrupting brake lights

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

AncientTV posted:

tbh you should be hitting one of your brakes while engine braking. I don't trust people behind me to realize I'm slowing down without some kind of obvious visual indicator.

Exactly. Which is why the original tail light one seemed like such a waste of effort to me.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I bought one of these and yeah, I think the deceleration feature is pretty useless. Makes a good secondary brake light, though.

There's probably some benefit to having a plain brake light up on the helmet, but I don't need any more things to keep charged.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
....it still requires the person behind you to look up from their text.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Best we can do is scan your mirrors while slowing down, and have an escape route

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

So no one has the Dainese Super Rider D-Dry Jacket in stock. Any other recommendations for max air summer jacket? Only needs to be 1 season.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

cursedshitbox posted:

attach aftermarket horn to front brake. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pokie posted:

So no one has the Dainese Super Rider D-Dry Jacket in stock. Any other recommendations for max air summer jacket? Only needs to be 1 season.

I ordered a Rukka AirAll that just showed up today. My initial impression is very positive. The Cordura AFT has a soft hand to it, the D3O armor is substantive (I ordered the full back protector to go with it), the stitching/zippers/etc. are all done very well. Comes with a 3/4 zip to attach to the matching pants, also has a crotch strap to keep the jacket from riding up if you're not wearing the Rukka pants. You could probably loop the strap around your belt, too.

I am 6' 185lbs, 16 1/2 / 35 slim cut dress shirt, 42R slim cut suit coat, 32" pants waist. I ordered a size 50 in the AirAll. Fit isn't American boxy but it's not skin tight either. Arms are longish - the cuffs reach all the way up to the base of my thumb with gloves on under the sleeves. Waist is slightly longer than a sport fit motorcycle jacket, but it's not touring length. There's no waterproof liner with the AirAll; to get that you have to step up to the 4Air w/ a GoreTex liner. Wasn't worth another $400 to me.

Standing outside in 65 degree weather with a slight breeze, jacket on over a t-shirt, I can feel air moving through the whole thing. That's the point of the AFT fabric vs. the usual Cordura w/ mesh panels. I have no doubt the AFT trades abrasion resistance for airflow vs. regular Cordura, but it should hold up better than regular polyester mesh.

Once I've had it out on the bike in warmer weather I'll write a more substantial review.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Jazzzzz posted:

I ordered a Rukka AirAll that just showed up today. My initial impression is very positive. The Cordura AFT has a soft hand to it, the D3O armor is substantive (I ordered the full back protector to go with it), the stitching/zippers/etc. are all done very well. Comes with a 3/4 zip to attach to the matching pants, also has a crotch strap to keep the jacket from riding up if you're not wearing the Rukka pants. You could probably loop the strap around your belt, too.

That sounds interesting. I like that I can order it in white - what idiot decided that summer gear should be black?! How annoying are the extra long sleeves? Definitely want to hear about your longer term experience with it. For now I am just using my Icon Contra jacket that I got when starting out. Wearing actual leathers has become unbearable in 90+ heat.

Also I saw a review of this Klim jacket that seemed pretty good. https://fortnine.ca/en/klim-inducti...duction-jacket. Anyone have thoughts on that?

pokie fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 3, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

Don't worry, I'm personally taking the time to shake an angry fist in the direction of each texter.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I want some good summer-weight pants. I currently mostly wear Dainese gore-tex pants but they're too hot for when it's 80+. I like how they fit though and the amount of armor (the knee pieces cover my shin right down to the top of my boots, which is great). I don't want leather pants, baggy pants, or overpants. Basically something that fits close and doesn't flap around, but is tough, but without a thick lining. Mesh not necessary as long as they have a few vents. What are some good options?

e: leather would be ok I guess if they're not too shiny/racey and don't cost a fortune.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sagebrush posted:

I want some good summer-weight pants. I currently mostly wear Dainese gore-tex pants but they're too hot for when it's 80+. I like how they fit though and the amount of armor (the knee pieces cover my shin right down to the top of my boots, which is great). I don't want leather pants, baggy pants, or overpants. Basically something that fits close and doesn't flap around, but is tough, but without a thick lining. Mesh not necessary as long as they have a few vents. What are some good options?

e: leather would be ok I guess if they're not too shiny/racey and don't cost a fortune.

If hip protection isn't mandatory, the Rainsun pants I have are super comfy and have great knee armor and air flow. They are intended to be tight overpants, I think, but I just wear them like pants and they fit nicely.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pokie posted:

That sounds interesting. I like that I can order it in white - what idiot decided that summer gear should be black?! How annoying are the extra long sleeves? Definitely want to hear about your longer term experience with it. For now I am just using my Icon Contra jacket that I got when starting out. Wearing actual leathers has become unbearable in 90+ heat.

Also I saw a review of this Klim jacket that seemed pretty good. https://fortnine.ca/en/klim-inducti...duction-jacket. Anyone have thoughts on that?

The arms aren't annoyingly long, they're just slightly longer than usual. They don't get in the way at all.

I was looking hard at the Induction too, but ended up going with the Rukka because every piece of Klim gear I've ever tried was cut too baggy through the middle. They're very popular with the ADVRider crowd.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Could try finding one of these https://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-a-10-airflow-pants

Also I too have Dainese gore-tex pants and I don't really like those long knee protectors. Also, they have the legs zippers on the backs of the legs, and while I guess that's technically the most water proof, it's a bit annoying.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Sagebrush posted:

Daniese New Drake Airs or whatever the gently caress they're called this year are by far the most popular summer pant. Slim fit with a taper past the knee a-la leather pants.

The main problem I have with the induction is the mesh they use is really loving rigid - also itchy. It's not as American cut as the rest of Kim's stuff. IIRC I was able to get a somewhat decent fit in a M, whereas I simply cannot wear any other piece of gear Klim sells other than another jacket that escapes me. Big in the arms though.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

-Inu- posted:

The main problem I have with the induction is the mesh they use is really loving rigid - also itchy. It's not as American cut as the rest of Kim's stuff. IIRC I was able to get a somewhat decent fit in a M, whereas I simply cannot wear any other piece of gear Klim sells other than another jacket that escapes me. Big in the arms though.

That Kryptonite mesh Klim uses is supposedly Kevlar-infused; if it's anything like the Kevlar mesh in Motoport jackets it probably feels drat near like rubbing a stiff scotchbrite pad across your skin. You could use it to scuff paint.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Jazzzzz posted:

That Kryptonite mesh Klim uses is supposedly Kevlar-infused; if it's anything like the Kevlar mesh in Motoport jackets it probably feels drat near like rubbing a stiff scotchbrite pad across your skin. You could use it to scuff paint.

That's the stuff.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

The punishment I deserve at a price I can afford.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

-Inu- posted:

Daniese New Drake Airs or whatever the gently caress they're called this year are by far the most popular summer pant. Slim fit with a taper past the knee a-la leather pants.

Klim Badlands fits me fine, and I am fairly slim. Interesting. If it's as itchy as you say, perhaps Rukka that Jazzzz mentioned is the way to go. I will ask Revzilla chat rep about it.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

While waiting to take delivery of my new '17 SV650 (recent recall regarding ECM issue prompted a stop-delivery and another week of waiting) I did some shopping for some new and much more appropriate gear (with my prior bike being an '80s Honda XL dual-sport).

Ended up getting the following pieces and thankfully everything fits great so I'll be keeping everything:

Dainese Racing D1 Leather Jacket - Serious business jacket that is absolutely gorgeous although more sport/track oriented, hopefully it won't feel awkward on a standard bike in a upright position but it seemed fine when wearing my the Honda - I will definitely be picking up a back protector and perhaps chest inserts as well if recommended).
Dainese D1 EVO Jeans
Dainese Street Rocker D-WP Shoes - I will likely get some real boots down the line with real ankle protection but for now I desperately need something in the meantime that I can wear comfortably all day at work when commuting (and walking/hiking around when out exploring) and my days of riding in Sambas are officially over).
Dainese X-Strike Gloves

Only thing left now is to find a more appropriate helmet for the SV - currently I have an AFX FX-39 DS which is a decent helmet for wearing on the Honda but I have doubts about how well it's going to cope with wind on the SV at highway speeds...recommendations welcome.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Returned a pair of RevIt Lombard 2 jeans, waiting on pre-order of Bull-It SR6 straights to come in. The RevIts had a slightly strange fit - bit too much of a taper in the leg, but baggy in the rear end - but more importantly the knee armor didn't sit correctly on the bike. It rode up too high and rotated to the inner part of the knee.

In other news, I decided against sticker bombing my new Signet-X and dropped it off a couple of weeks ago to have it hydrodipped. Got it back today, and it has been ruined. poo poo masking job with overspray all over the face shield gasket and rubber surround on the bottom of the helmet, gaps or smudges in several places of the dipped pattern itself, sags in the paint, bubbles in the clear, you name it. They didn't take any of the vents or plastic trim off and just dipped/sprayed over everything. The factory decals that were buried under the clear are still showing through the new paint, so I'm not even sure they did any prep beyond lightly scuffing the original clearcoat. The only upside is that they managed to avoid getting anything on the EPS or the liner over it.

I have hours of cleanup work and sanding to get back to something I can either spray myself or wrap/stickerbomb anyway. Lesson learned. I ordered another one with a factory paint job in the meantime thanks to a timely bonus check from work and will use this one as a spare. Didn't want that money anyway.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've finally got some spare cash and a tour scheduled for the end if the month, so I'm looking at intercom systems. Reviews for the Sena 20s are pretty mixed, with a lot of people saying they preferred the smh10 (citing poor build quality for a £200+ bit of kit). In the UK at least, those are only available from weird euro warehouses with surplus old stock, so I've been looking at its direct replacement, the 10s.

Any goon reviews?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Jazzzzz posted:

In other news, I decided against sticker bombing my new Signet-X and dropped it off a couple of weeks ago to have it hydrodipped. Got it back today, and it has been ruined. poo poo masking job with overspray all over the face shield gasket and rubber surround on the bottom of the helmet, gaps or smudges in several places of the dipped pattern itself, sags in the paint, bubbles in the clear, you name it. They didn't take any of the vents or plastic trim off and just dipped/sprayed over everything. The factory decals that were buried under the clear are still showing through the new paint, so I'm not even sure they did any prep beyond lightly scuffing the original clearcoat. The only upside is that they managed to avoid getting anything on the EPS or the liner over it.

Ugh, that sounds lovely. Can't you send it back with these notes? lovely work should not be rewarded.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pokie posted:

Ugh, that sounds lovely. Can't you send it back with these notes? lovely work should not be rewarded.

I had it done at a local shop that does hydrographics and custom paint for cars/trucks/etc. They've done football and baseball helmets for some local peewee and little league teams, but given the results I got I'd wager they straight up lied to me when they said they'd done full face motorcycle helmets before. The owner asked me if I wanted them to redo it at no charge, and I said no loving way. I did NOT pay the full original asking price for the work they did, which was low enough already that I should've loving known better.

I'd be a little less pissed if this was an old beat to poo poo helmet, but it was a brand new $600 Arai. As I said, lesson learned. I'll turn it into a project.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
where are PICTURES

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Razzled posted:

where are PICTURES

here are a few lowlights in poorly white balanced potato quality.

Paint sagged? gently caress it, I'm not sanding that down

Oops, smeared the paint, gently caress it, I'll just clear over it (also note the hole in the CF pattern, there are more of these all over the helmet)

Giant hole in the CF pattern. There are bigger ones on each side at the top of the pods covering the face shield mechanism. Note the factory white paint showing under the rear vent because they didn't take it off before painting, and the new paint peeling up from me opening the vent

This poo poo goes around the entire helmet, luckily it seems to flake off if I dig at it with a fingernail

:lol:

"Yeah we had problems with the stickers because they were under the clear" SO SAND THE loving CLEAR AND SHOOT WITH A BUILDING PRIMER IF YOU HAVE TO, rear end in a top hat

Also note that the grey carbon fiber should've been laid over a pearl white base, but they just shot the whole helmet black because :effort:

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 5, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

here are a few lowlights in poorly white balanced potato quality.

Paint sagged? gently caress it, I'm not sanding that down

Oops, smeared the paint, gently caress it, I'll just clear over it (also note the hole in the CF pattern, there are more of these all over the helmet)

Giant hole in the CF pattern. There are bigger ones on each side at the top of the pods covering the face shield mechanism. Note the factory white paint showing under the rear vent because they didn't take it off before painting, and the new paint peeling up from me opening the vent

This poo poo goes around the entire helmet, luckily it seems to flake off if I dig at it with a fingernail

:lol:

"Yeah we had problems with the stickers because they were under the clear" SO SAND THE loving CLEAR AND SHOOT WITH A BUILDING PRIMER IF YOU HAVE TO, rear end in a top hat

Also note that the grey carbon fiber should've been laid over a pearl white base, but they just shot the whole helmet black because :effort:

How much did they pay you to let them do that to your helmet?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
In the end I bet it would have been cheaper to just buy a Bell Carbon Star

god drat that is a poo poo hydro dipping job

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm not impressed with the paint work. But really...carbon fiber pattern paint? Really?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, there isn't much that's worse than fake carbon patterns. I mean, it sucks that happened to your helmet but it might be for the best

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Yeah, I know. It didn't turn out the way it should have regardless, but with hydrographics there are surprisingly few patterns out there that aren't camo, flaming skulls, or more camo. I assume hotlinking is still bad so I won't put this in an img tag, but this is more the look I was going for. More pearl base, less HEY FAKE CARBON FIBER

http://www.hydrodesigns.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Silver-Carbon-White-Pearl-Base.jpg

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Carbon fiber bedpan

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Carbon Fiber is ugly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Taste aside that helmet is completely loving ruined now. God bless her majesty's consumer guarantees act that would get me a brand new replacement helmet if that happened to me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jazzzzz posted:

not really relevant now but I wouldn't suggest that anyone ever sand their helmet to try and remove the stickers

like I suppose lightly hitting it with 600-grit to fog it up if you wanted a matte effect would be okay (if questionable) but I'm really really not having a good feeling about physically altering the structure of the shell and then spraying it with solvents of unknown chemical compatibility.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

not really relevant now but I wouldn't suggest that anyone ever sand their helmet to try and remove the stickers

like I suppose lightly hitting it with 600-grit to fog it up if you wanted a matte effect would be okay (if questionable) but I'm really really not having a good feeling about physically altering the structure of the shell and then spraying it with solvents of unknown chemical compatibility.

Sanding won't gently caress up the shell unless you go all the way through clear, paint, AND primer into the composite itself, but you wouldn't sand that far anyway. Scuff the clear so new primer will stick, hit it with primer, sand, hit it again with primer if needed, sand/paint/sand/etc., clear/sand/clear/sand/etc., polish, glaze. The sticker will get buried. poo poo, you can bury stickers/decals in multiple coats of clear by itself.

Failing that, you can order painter's decal sets direct from Arai, and place a new decal over the old before you clear the helmet so there aren't weird lumps in a blank area of paint. The decal they sprayed over on the back wasn't even under the clear, it was a goddamned DOT sticker.

Anyhoo, the rubber gasket around the visor port is well and truly hosed, as is the rubber trim ring around the base of the helmet. I shot an email to the Service Pavilion to see if there are even replacement parts to be had for them, but I'm not holding my breath. This was really dumb.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
lmao they shot over the DOT sticker? That loving owns.

(sorry about your loss of a new Arai though :( )

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's an Arai, just throw a dot sticker on the back and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Taste aside that helmet is completely loving ruined now. God bless her majesty's consumer guarantees act that would get me a brand new replacement helmet if that happened to me.

We have the Better Business Bureau here, but it's mostly a useless manifestation of a well intentioned document these days. I guess just like most of our government.