Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

I was more asking about the “inspired fortress fascists and school shooters a whole continent away.” part

I assume the former is referring to the now deleted tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'd use the word weirdos, and not a term to mean someone who has actually shot up a school, myself.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Office Pig posted:

what else would you call eren fans

Looking forward to the October 2023 takes of "Muad'dib inspired fascists"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Saagonsa posted:

I'd use the word weirdos, and not a term to mean someone who has actually shot up a school, myself.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So how much blood do you suppose Lauren Faust has on her hands, with all the Nazi bronies out there?

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 11, 2021

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Approximately one fully-staffed FedEx warehouse at minimum

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Office Pig posted:

Well you couldn't land an ending if you had a gun to your head and were probably playing it by ear the whole time but you made millions and inspired fortress fascists and school shooters a whole continent away.

Nice going, rear end in a top hat :thumbsup:

a very normal reaction and post

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Saagonsa posted:

I don't think that's very accurate at all

We literally just had a sitting congressman post a OP1 spoof showing how immigrants are actually like titans and that Eren is a cool dude trying to take on the Colossal Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Titan, so he's at least half right

MechaX fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 11, 2021

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

MechaX posted:

We literally just had a sitting congressman post a OP1 spoof showing how immigrants are actually like titans and that Eren is a cool dude trying to take on the Colossal Alexandria Ocasio-Cortex Titan, so he's at least half right

As if the right weren’t horny enough for AOC, now using Titan magic they are targeting the giant woman fetish demographic which as we saw from resident evil 8 has plenty of audience

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The first OP was a giant edit meme for ages. Whatever 20 something year old intern runs the guys twitter chose something popular, it could have easily been a Demon Slayer edit. Acting like it means anything is dumb.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Okay, but uh... it wasn't, they still chose AOT, and I'm not sure how the situation is any better just because it wasn't you, but your intern that showed of a spoof of your coworkers and your boss being killed on screen that you still decided to post online

MechaX fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 11, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This is like saying new vegas is for fascists because there's people who think ceasers legion is right and make and post memes about it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

No, it's like saying that new vegas in part inspired those fascists even if that probably wasn't the game's intention, which OP was saying that AOT probably had a part in inspiring some fascists (don't know about the child shooter part) even if that.. probably might not have been Isayama's intention

MechaX fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 11, 2021

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

Office Pig posted:

what else would you call eren fans

Jaegerists, clearly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

As a counterpoint I juat had someone print out a self made manga where a bunch of people dressed as AoT characters beat up Donald Trump so it ain't on one side of the political spectrum

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I, for one, do not think we should cede cool things to fascists

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

I, for one, do not think we should cede cool things to fascists

What does that have to do with AoT?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Is it really ceding if the thing was made by a fascist in the first place

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

Is it really ceding if the thing was made by a fascist in the first place

I don't think that's the case here, OP.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I also keep seeing ‘Isayama is a fascist’ but is there any proof of that either or just more “well MAYBE this Twitter guy is isayama”? I just want to enjoy my flesh mecha without having to justify myself to everyone who insists I’m being influenced by fascist propaganda :negative:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

DamnitGannet posted:

I also keep seeing ‘Isayama is a fascist’ but is there any proof of that either or just more “well MAYBE this Twitter guy is isayama”? I just want to enjoy my flesh mecha without having to justify myself to everyone who insists I’m being influenced by fascist propaganda :negative:

No proof whatsoever and given the story takes great pains to talk about how fascism is bad, to the point characters are basically looking at the reader and saying it, anyone who takes away the message that Isayama secretly endorses it is really dumb

You basically have to ignore the entirety of the work to even come to that conclusion

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The story ends with "genocide is good, and if you don't do it the other bastards will do it to you first"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

The story ends with "genocide is good, and if you don't do it the other bastards will do it to you first"

Hrmm...Don't think this is true either.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Flesnolk posted:

That's one way you could read it, another way is "violence is a never ending cycle that only begets more violence" and "eren's actions ultimately didn't fix anything" ergo violence is bad.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I probably would have enjoyed the ending better if Armin actually expressed that no, you do not gotta hand it to the person who did a near global genocide

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Julias posted:

That's one way you could read it, another way is "violence is a never ending cycle that only begets more violence" and "eren's actions ultimately didn't fix anything" ergo violence is bad.

It’s this.

That’s the correct interpretation. I don’t even like the ending, but that’s clearly the intended message. The city being destroyed and the child walking into the tree , beginning the cycle all over could not make that any clearer

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

MechaX posted:

I probably would have enjoyed the ending better if Armin actually expressed that no, you do not gotta hand it to the person who did a near global genocide

Big part of why my reading is AoT being pro-genocide

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

Also "violence is an intrinsic curse of the human condition, so attempting some atrocity as a cure for human ills just leaves you with an atrocity and the same problems you started with."

People even brought up that, if Eren succeeded in wiping out humanity outside the island, you'd see all the same discrimination and all the same monstrous cruelty as before, just with a smaller number of people around to do it.

(Also, it seems like the war in the epilogue was "just" a regular war rather than a genocide attempt, so that's kind of progress? It's a small victory for diplomacy, but a victory none-the-less.)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The ending being clumsy in some aspects (the armin thing especially) doesn't retroactively change the obvious message the series has been about leading up to that point, imo.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

(Also, it seems like the war in the epilogue was "just" a regular war rather than a genocide attempt, so that's kind of progress? It's a small victory for diplomacy, but a victory none-the-less.)

Maybe, but when the story spends half its runtime banging on the drum of "every non-Eldian in the world wants every Eldian dead," even mid-Rumbling, and the next we see is the island being blown up, I don't think there's much reason to assume that. Does make it funny that the entire story was for nothing though.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Flesnolk posted:

As dumb as that stuff was, on the level of Naruto calling Obito "the coolest guy", I think it's somewhat understandable why someone who once was a close friend of Eren might be willing to look at their actions more charitably and not really see the larger picture of their actions. But yeah there were a bunch of issues with the ending besides that.

Also for the record, I'm not a fan of AoT in general, and I've got no issues with people having qualms with it, but when people start spreading around unverifiable things like "Isayama is a fascist" or harmful stereotypes like "all fans of AoT are fascists and/or school shooters", I think those kinds of generalizations are actively harmful, both for individuals who might be on the receiving end of those accusations and for discourse about the subject matter in general.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I have no problems with how Armin handled the situation. Regardless of his actions this was his lifelong friend he was dealing with, who was essentially sharing his dying words, and one of Armin's traits consistently portrayed throughout the story was his ability to compartmentalize things.

The fact Armin betrayed his country and killed his best friend in an effort to avert genocide against his enemy is enough to establish his position on the matter; he acknowledges Eren's feelings and circumstances and tells him he won't let his error go to waste because he's his family and he loves him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Flesnolk posted:

Maybe, but when the story spends half its runtime banging on the drum of "every non-Eldian in the world wants every Eldian dead," even mid-Rumbling, and the next we see is the island being blown up, I don't think there's much reason to assume that. Does make it funny that the entire story was for nothing though.

At the very least a 100 later (Probably more) a war was fought on the Island. And after it ended there are still people there. So no genocide happened there at least, it was probably a normal rear end war.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Flesnolk posted:

Eren genocided 80%+ of the world and did not in fact not stop future wars so I don't know how you got to this take.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

At the very least a 100 later (Probably more) a war was fought on the Island. And after it ended there are still people there. So no genocide happened there at least, it was probably a normal rear end war.

genocides dont have to wipe out every single member of their target to be successful, or to be classed genocides. unless you want to argue what happened in armenia or rwanda or the holocaust as "not genocides" in which case, idk what to tell you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

genocides dont have to wipe out every single member of their target to be successful, or to be classed genocides. unless you want to argue what happened in armenia or rwanda or the holocaust as "not genocides" in which case, idk what to tell you

ATTEMPTED Genocide. They don't give out the Nobel Prize for ATTEMPTED Chemistry, do they?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

ATTEMPTED Genocide. They don't give out the Nobel Prize for ATTEMPTED Chemistry, do they?

To move away from Sideshow Bob (no-one who speaks German could be a bad man!) what we see of the ending suggests it wasn't even attempted genocide. The island was bombed, but not invaded or repeatedly bombed to finish off any survivors. The point was to eliminate their ability to attack whatever country they were at war with. Anything beyond that was basically irrelevant.

Standard war, not genocide. Nasty business all the same, but a different kind of nasty business.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

It wasn't perfect but the fact that the islanders not killing all the titans unknowingly prevented invasion and extermination was a passable anti-genocide message right there before the ending.

Makes that 'Clear the Land' submode of the games funny in retrospect.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Ending still sucks, people who believe the manga endorses fascism are still stupid / dishonest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Conspiratiorist posted:

I have no problems with how Armin handled the situation. Regardless of his actions this was his lifelong friend he was dealing with, who was essentially sharing his dying words, and one of Armin's traits consistently portrayed throughout the story was his ability to compartmentalize things.

The fact Armin betrayed his country and killed his best friend in an effort to avert genocide against his enemy is enough to establish his position on the matter; he acknowledges Eren's feelings and circumstances and tells him he won't let his error go to waste because he's his family and he loves him.

One of several problems with the "Armin was humoring his dying friend" take is that the sequence is a flashback, remembered after the fact. Thousands were presumably dying during that conversation and Armin's response was "aw geez buddy you do you." That's not a character compartmentalizing or whatever -- that, and the rest of the ending, is disaster-tier writing that can absolutely be read as espousing a fundamentally fascist worldview, because the alternative is the author not dropping the ball so much as slam dunking it straight through the floor.

For the record I'm in the "incompetent writer with some unfortunate unexamined politics" camp. Who ended up producing a pretty fashy work.