Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
John Wick IIMM

When Perkins is executed, the four dudes shooting her aim from the four cardinal directions. Don't miss, lads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

"Standing your ground" is not a defense for breaking Continental rules.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

RareAcumen posted:

Whoa, people actually know Wonder Woman villains? Because of all the animated stuff, the only one I know is Cheetah (Cheetara? Or is that Thundercats?)
She also has a villain that is literally Serpentor from GI Joe only instead of being cloned from the most evil people who ever lived she is smushed together out of the clay found at the sites of the world's greatest atrocities (See cause Wonder Woman was a clay statue given life her greatest nemesis must be the same thing only much much dumber).

EDIT: Wonder Woman is currently not a clay statue given life and is instead just a regular old fashioned demigod absentee fathered by Zeus. This is a much better origin for the purposes of 'connecting to non-comic book readers' so of course the loudest voices in comic book fandom hate it.

NorgLyle has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Jun 5, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NorgLyle posted:

the loudest voices in comic book fandom

I think that once we, collectively as a species, go "gently caress those shitdicks" and stop listening to them ever, we will be better off.

I assume Marvel are already making more money from their movie arm than their comic arm, so hopefully it's soon.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Memento posted:

I think that once we, collectively as a species, go "gently caress those shitdicks" and stop listening to them ever, we will be better off.

I will say I saw a meme the other day that pointed out how people who say they want a relationship like Joker and Harley should read a comic I actually kind of agreed and felt bad.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Memento posted:

John Wick IIMM

When Perkins is executed, the four dudes shooting her aim from the four cardinal directions. Don't miss, lads.

AKA a Polish firing squad.

Memento posted:

I assume Marvel are already making more money from their movie arm than their comic arm, so hopefully it's soon.

It's not even close. Comic book sales are in the crapper, mainly because of the broken way they are sold and marketed. At this point, 50,000 copies of an issue represents huge sales. The movies utterly dwarf comic revenues.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 04:48 on Jun 5, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Phanatic posted:

It's not even close. Comic book sales are in the crapper, mainly because of the broken way they are sold and marketed. At this point, 50,000 copies of an issue represents huge sales. The movies utterly dwarf comic revenues.

And now more and more people are buying TPB instead of weeklies. Not only are they easier to store but they hold up longer and usually have cover alternates.
Some sales reports only show the singles sales but yeah, they are down across the board. Even for someone like me that adores comics, I don't buy many Marvel or DC lines anymore because they are so overly complicated.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Why do they keep making Spiderman films and not having the villain be Mysterio

Because a movie Mysterio will never top the version from the Spider-Man 2 video game

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because a movie Mysterio will never top the version from the Spider-Man 2 video game

Best boss fight ever.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I don't know if a Youtube clip could do it justice, but yeah... Check it out of you can. They really nailed it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

Whoa, people actually know Wonder Woman villains? Because of all the animated stuff, the only one I know is Cheetah (Cheetara? Or is that Thundercats?)

How about Egg Fu?

He was later succeeded by Egg Fu the Fifth, who had a "moustache trap".

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Wheat Loaf posted:

How about Egg Fu?

Did he sit on the Great Wall?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

How about Egg Fu?

Obviously a new one for me.

Honestly, that just makes me realize I don't know many of the Justice League's rogue gallery. Who are Cyborg, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Black Canary and Hawkgirl facing off against on a regular basis? Hell if I know!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Did he sit on the Great Wall?

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Jun 5, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Reminds me of people getting mad that the Mandarin in IM3 was playing with racist imagery to make the audience hate him, when the original was just straight-out racist and presented entirely straight. :v:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Iron Man 3's Mandarin was probably one of the best bait-and-switches I've seen in a movie and allowed them to use an iconic villain while avoiding the lovely parts of his history.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phanatic posted:

And yet still not as stupid as the Mexican standoff in Hitman which involved four or five people, all but one of whom were on the same side. However bad a circular firing squad may be, it doesn't compare to one where the members are all aiming at each other.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Serf posted:

Iron Man 3's Mandarin was probably one of the best bait-and-switches I've seen in a movie and allowed them to use an iconic villain while avoiding the lovely parts of his history.

Agreed. It was beautiful.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

Honestly, that just makes me realize I don't know many of the Justice League's rogue gallery. Who are Cyborg, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Black Canary and Hawkgirl facing off against on a regular basis? Hell if I know!

For the most part, the Justice League doesn't really have "Justice League villains". They usually fight the villains of the individual members of the team, either together or by themselves. For example, I think their main enemy in the past few years of the comics (and the main enemy they're going to be fighting in the movies) has been Darkseid, who's usually a Superman villain (though that's not what he really originated as), and traditionally they've fought the Injustice Gang or the Legion of Doom or the Secret Society of Supervillains, who were various teams consisting of the enemies of each hero organised by Lex Luthor.

There's some bad guys who mainly fight the Justice League and not many others, like Dr Destiny, Vandal Savage, Despero and Starro, but I think they're the exception.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, most of the people you mentioned don't really have their own villains because they are superhero team lifers. It's like asking who Colossus' arch enemy is from the X-Men.

Green Arrow has a small stable of his own forgettable losers since, like Aquaman, he has had his own book for long stretches of time but he's still Green Arrow so unless you really like the TV show chances are you haven't heard of any of them.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My preemptive IIMM for Justice League is that whatever excuse they give for The Flash not single-handedly solving whatever problem they're facing in a picosecond is really lame, because in anything that ever has The Flash whatever explanation they have for him not single-handedly solving it in a picosecond is lame.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I liked the idea of the bait and switch in Iron Man but switching super cool and charismatic Ben "You'll never see me coming" Kingsley with Guy Pearce playing the world's whitest cocaine dad was pretty boring.

Serf
May 5, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I liked the idea of the bait and switch in Iron Man but switching super cool and charismatic Ben "You'll never see me coming" Kingsley with Guy Pearce playing the world's whitest cocaine dad was pretty boring.

You're not wrong, but it kinda mirrors real life where the villain they sell you is some exotic dude like Bin Laden but when you get into it the real bad guy is some fat old Northrop Grumman exec or whatever.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Serf posted:

You're not wrong, but it kinda mirrors real life where the villain they sell you is some exotic dude like Bin Laden but when you get into it the real bad guy is some fat old Northrop Grumman exec or whatever.

And his victorious and smug, "I am the Mandarin!" falling flat was too precious.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't there some post credit scene or web only thing where there really is a Mandarin and one of his guys murders Ben Kingsley in prison?
Did I really see that or was I imagining it?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ultrabindu posted:

Wasn't there some post credit scene or web only thing where there really is a Mandarin and one of his guys murders Ben Kingsley in prison?
Did I really see that or was I imagining it?

I had no idea until I googled it, but apparently there's a ten minute short on the Thor: The Dark World DVD where Slattery's in prison and some guy who works for the actual real Mandarin comes to break him out rather than kill him.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Holy poo poo.
I've never owned the Dark World DVD so now I'm trying to figure out where I saw it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I was pissed with IM3, I'll admit it. Only because I thought we were going to get Iron Man versus some magical force rather than another tech-guy.

In hindsight I like the switch.

Ideally he should have fought Fin Fang Foom.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The only real problem I had with Iron Man 3 was how bland Guy Pearce's character was. Considering the dude could breathe loving fire and was played by Guy Pearce, I mean. I wish they'd just adapated the Extremis storyline.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This isn't something bothers me about the content of a movie, but how is it that Avatar managed to earn more than $2.5 billion and become the highest-grossing movie of all time while making so little cultural impact? Why is the biggest movie ever so anonymous eight years later?

The two movies which were "biggest ever" before it were Titanic and Jurassic Park and those are movies that had longevity. I was maybe six when Titanic came out and I remember it being huge. It's got scenes and characters that people remember 20 years later and it's got that annoying Céline Dion song. Jurassic Park led to this huge franchise and it's still lauded for its SFX 25 years after the fact.

What happened to Avatar? It came, it saw, it conquered, then it went home. I know Cameron's making / wants to make more (four more, in fact). I know Disney is stumping up some of the cash for them. But when Avatar 2 comes out in 2020 - eleven years after the first one - will there be nostalgia for it?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I can't say Titantic had a huge impact. The "I'm flying Jack!" and "I'm king of the world!" were parodied endlessly (often as the same scene) but it didn't seem to last that long.

As for why Avatar fizzled out, probably just saturation. We absorb so much more media today than we did in the 90s that almost nothing really stays around unless it can keep cranking out sequels to keep up, like say the Marvel franchise.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

RagnarokAngel posted:

I can't say Titantic had a huge impact. The "I'm flying Jack!" and "I'm king of the world!" were parodied endlessly (often as the same scene) but it didn't seem to last that long.

As for why Avatar fizzled out, probably just saturation. We absorb so much more media today than we did in the 90s that almost nothing really stays around unless it can keep cranking out sequels to keep up, like say the Marvel franchise.

Maybe not in absolute terms, but relative to Avatar I think there is a lot of Titanic that still sticks in the mind of a large portion of people, from the scenes you mentioned to the drawing scene to the celine dion song that still gets played a lot on adult contemporary stations.

Avatar meanwhile has just the visual impressiveness and not much else. It seemed to either start or come shortly after the "every new movie has to be 3D" craze - in any case it was still pretty new at the time so at least part of its success is people overpaying for tickets for that gimmick. The story itself had been done to death (except with blue cat people vs mechs instead of native americans vs colonists).

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I asked a girl on a date and suggested Titanic and she turned me down cold. Welp that's my story.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Both Jurassic Park and Titanic had characters and a story. Maybe less so with Titanic, but what it had was still leagues ahead of Avatar. It was a big, beautiful fireworks show that was lost as soon as the last spark fizzled out.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

I asked a girl on a date and suggested Titanic and she turned me down cold. Welp that's my story.

More like Ol'gameless :haw:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Avatar had Colonel Meathead. Colonel Meathead would eat a T-Rex for dinner. He would cut its meat with his huge gently caress-off robot knife.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

For the most part, the Justice League doesn't really have "Justice League villains". They usually fight the villains of the individual members of the team, either together or by themselves. For example, I think their main enemy in the past few years of the comics (and the main enemy they're going to be fighting in the movies) has been Darkseid, who's usually a Superman villain (though that's not what he really originated as), and traditionally they've fought the Injustice Gang or the Legion of Doom or the Secret Society of Supervillains, who were various teams consisting of the enemies of each hero organised by Lex Luthor.

There's some bad guys who mainly fight the Justice League and not many others, like Dr Destiny, Vandal Savage, Despero and Starro, but I think they're the exception.

Oh no, I'm not looking at people who fight the ENTIRE Justice League.

I mean, some of the members, I have no idea who they're generally grappling with in mortal combat.

Aquaman deals with Black Manta. Flash has Captain Cold, the Reverse Flash and Grodd. Captain Marvel has Black Adam. Batman has the Joker, and Bane, and Killer Croc, etc.

Cyborg...fights... ????? Dr. Fate is always battling....uh

I mean, I could look that stuff up but it's just a thing I just really realized. Like how I can't name a ton of magic users in Marvel as well.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Maybe not in absolute terms, but relative to Avatar I think there is a lot of Titanic that still sticks in the mind of a large portion of people, from the scenes you mentioned to the drawing scene to the celine dion song that still gets played a lot on adult contemporary stations.

Avatar meanwhile has just the visual impressiveness and not much else. It seemed to either start or come shortly after the "every new movie has to be 3D" craze - in any case it was still pretty new at the time so at least part of its success is people overpaying for tickets for that gimmick. The story itself had been done to death (except with blue cat people vs mechs instead of native americans vs colonists).

Avatar was the Crysis of movies.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 13:14 on Jun 6, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Cyborg has always been part and parcel with the teen titans before he became an adult so if anything he had Deathstroke.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
JL had Despero and big space villains mostly when they weren't getting the legion of doom hassling them.

White Martians, etc. Sometimes big cosmic level bad guys, sometimes just low level assholes like promethius or the key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

oldpainless posted:

Still not as cold a rejection as Rose pushing Jack off that big piece of driftwood