Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

broken clock opsec posted:

The Moga Pro for Android seems to be a reasonably recommended one that is not too expensive.

The old recommendation iirc was to pair it in HID mode and don't bother with the app. I can't imagine that's changed.

Awesome, thanks. I've looked at Moga stuff in the past but was never sure which one to get. I've got a couple weeks before the headset comes in at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Any suggestion for cases other than Driztonic? I'd prefer something other than boring black.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, what's the odds of HTC's go at a Nexus phone being decent this year?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Valicious posted:

Any suggestion for cases other than Driztonic? I'd prefer something other than boring black.

Diztronic offers other colours, like I've bought a blue one before, I know they have grey too. If you don't see it on their site, email their customer service and request it, they're awesome and helpful.

e: for example, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BDWIOJW

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Diztronic offers other colours, like I've bought a blue one before, I know they have grey too. If you don't see it on their site, email their customer service and request it, they're awesome and helpful.

e: for example, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BDWIOJW

for the 5X though? I'm kinda in a rush to find something though :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Valicious posted:

drat, looks like the 5X Diztronic case is only black or charcoal. I bet their support could help you get a blue one if you weren't in a rush (they got back to me in less than a day), but I guess if you're wanting colour and TPU this one looks decent: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TABTXC/

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Kerbtree posted:

My theory has been that since HTC had been terrible lately Google said we'll give you this contract in exchange for complete say in the design of the hardware, not an equal partnership. So I can see them being very good flagships but probably nothing like a normal HTC phone.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Just started the download for Marshmallow for my Note 5 on Sprint. Better late than never I guess. Kinda funny that because of the dev preview, until tonight my tablet was two versions of Android ahead of my phone.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

I think the problem may be with the SD card. Yeah, I can read from it and write to it but when I connected it to my laptop it didn't recognize it as having any memory at all. And when I tried to reformat it in different programs it'd cause them to crash.

Update. I tried using another memory card and found out the problem wasn't necessarily the first memory card at all. The reason the first card stopped working is because somehow I hosed up the reformatting. That was one of the suggestions to fix errors 907 and 963.

Clearing various app caches didn't fix the problem.

Downgrading the google play store to stock and trying again didn't work.

I haven't been able to try unmounting the SD card. The settings only give me the option to erase the SD card. I'm not sure if that means there really is a problem with my memory card. Or if the only way to unmount the card from this phone is to turn off the phone, remove the card, turn on the phone, turn it off again, reinsert the card, and then turn it back on. The user manual doesn't provide any guidance at all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kerbtree posted:

Pretty good. All of the Nexus phones have been decent, this one will be fine too.

RandomPauI posted:

Update. I tried using another memory card and found out the problem wasn't necessarily the first memory card at all. The reason the first card stopped working is because somehow I hosed up the reformatting. That was one of the suggestions to fix errors 907 and 963.

Clearing various app caches didn't fix the problem.

Downgrading the google play store to stock and trying again didn't work.

I haven't been able to try unmounting the SD card. The settings only give me the option to erase the SD card. I'm not sure if that means there really is a problem with my memory card. Or if the only way to unmount the card from this phone is to turn off the phone, remove the card, turn on the phone, turn it off again, reinsert the card, and then turn it back on. The user manual doesn't provide any guidance at all.

Are you sure the memory card isn't counterfeit?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 24, 2016

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

drat, looks like the 5X Diztronic case is only black or charcoal. I bet their support could help you get a blue one if you weren't in a rush (they got back to me in less than a day), but I guess if you're wanting colour and TPU this one looks decent: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TABTXC/

Dang, was hoping to find a good case in hot rode red or candy yellow or even a brighter blue. Something not....boring and dull.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The 5X doesn't need a case and isn't going to be valuable to resell. There's no rush to put a case on it.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Smythe is right. He is the bastion of sanity this thread deserves.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

nimper posted:

Yeah, so what? Don't buy carrier locked phones.

Sent from my unlocked Moto X 2014.

Did you read what I was responding to? If you can find me a Nexus that had support dropped after a year, great, otherwise no a Moto X is not identical to a Nexus with more features added. Stock Android is not the same as Nexus. You don't need to DYP.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Valicious posted:

Dang, was hoping to find a good case in hot rode red or candy yellow or even a brighter blue. Something not....boring and dull.
Cruzerlite cases are made in the same factory as Diztronic and are well made and come in colours but you have to deal with them having a slightly weird design on the back
http://www.cruzerlite.com/cases/lg/bugdroid-circuit-case-for-the-lg-google-nexus-5-2015?device=341
I think you can find them on Amazon as well but I'm not in the US so I'll let you figure that out.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Valicious posted:

Diztronic is the go-to brand but really, at the end of the day any TPU case you find on Amazon should be fine, as long as it doesn't have like a 1-star rating for catching on fire or something. There's also the official Google cases if you can find them cheap on eBay or are willing to shell out the money for them direct from Google.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
When I had my Nexus 5 I had a bright red official Google case for it. I really miss that case and want something similar for my Nexus 6. Any help?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

captain poopfister posted:

When I had my Nexus 5 I had a bright red official Google case for it. I really miss that case and want something similar for my Nexus 6. Any help?

Diztronic?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
When does the next Nexus phone come out, approximately? Anybody know?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TenaciousTomato posted:

When does the next Nexus phone come out, approximately? Anybody know?

November.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Looks like my N5 is gonna have to last me, then.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EngineerJoe posted:

They're no longer cheap, and that makes it a lot harder to ignore the other flaws, mainly subpar hardware and extreme delays in fixing critical bugs.

I mean, I'm fine with other phones, but Nexus phones are still cheap?

broken clock opsec posted:

But then where will google find features to add to Android from?

I don't think this is an accurate characterization of the situation. It's not like the things that Samsung added before Google were out of the blue innovations that no one would have ever thought of, it's just that Samsung iterates faster than Android and has different priorities than Google and thus puts in some user-facing features first.

Also, it's not like it doesn't go the other direction as well, it's just that Samsung gets all of Google's Android features by default by virtue of just using Android.

Daily Forecast posted:

So long as we're sharing:

There's something wrong with you. Stop responding to Smythe. It will make you feel better.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I just got a card from the SA front page on Google Now. Does this mean we're no longer a dead gay forum?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Odobenidae posted:

I just got a card from the SA front page on Google Now. Does this mean we're no longer a dead gay forum?

I love my dead gay forum.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RVProfootballer posted:

Did you read what I was responding to? If you can find me a Nexus that had support dropped after a year, great, otherwise no a Moto X is not identical to a Nexus with more features added. Stock Android is not the same as Nexus. You don't need to DYP.

You're right. My unlocked Moto X is currently stuck on 6.0 at the November 2015 security patch level. But at least that's better than the carrier models!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
AMOLED is now apparently cheaper to manufacture than LCD. Looking forward to $200 AMOLED phones.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Valicious posted:

I dunno what the general consensus on Spigen is but here's a mint green for ya http://www.spigen.com/products/nexus-5x-case-thin-fit?variant=6502712065

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I went and got an Orange Cruzerlite http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014QTEAM4/ref=twister_B014QTDVLA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Gives me hope that the Moto360/3 will be AMOLED.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm using an s7 edge right now and really enjoying it, I remember back in the s3 days there was a wifi setting like auto join or something that killed your battery. Is that still around?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I was looking for phones with good cameras and I found Panasonic Lumix DMC-CM1 and now I kinda want it :sweatdrop:

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Repurchased a Nexus 5x through the Fi deal and it is definitely way better performance wise compared to a few months ago. I still feel the low RAM in multitasking and it isn't a speed demon by any stretch but it is a solid rear end device for $200-250. Camera is actually usable now.

Still unsure if I will keep it due to the multitasking and battery life, but I am enjoying it for now.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Oh man will the next few Nexus phones be AMOLED only? There's so much more utility in AMOLED and burn-in only happens if you're stupid. If HTC's Nexus phone is anything like the M10 with tons of input from Google (I assume) then it might be an instabuy.

Eej posted:

I dunno what the general consensus on Spigen is but here's a mint green for ya http://www.spigen.com/products/nexus-5x-case-thin-fit?variant=6502712065

I've had several Spigen and several Ringke cases, they're basically the same and they're both pretty good. They're not really so much for drop protection, but to protect the camera lens/screen to give you peace of mind when you put your phone down. I did drop my Nexus 4 in it's Ringke case once and the case broke and not the phone, so I guess mission accomplished for a $10 thing.

Thermopyle posted:

There's something wrong with you. Stop responding to Smythe. It will make you feel better.

naw

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 25, 2016

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Budget stuff like the Galaxy J line is already AMOLED. They're terrible phones of course but the screens look pretty nice.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My friend is looking to upgrade, and is adamant about staying on Metro PCS. I'm adamant about her not dumping $150-200 into another Metro PCS shitter, but her budget is on the low side. Is the Nexus 5X probably the best bet for a Metro-compatible (out of the box) phone?

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
I think the third generation Moto G with 16 GB flash/2 GB RAM is still the recommended cheap phone. (Don't get the 8 GB/1 GB version. 1 GB of RAM doesn't cut it.)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grey Area posted:

I think the third generation Moto G with 16 GB flash/2 GB RAM is still the recommended cheap phone. (Don't get the 8 GB/1 GB version. 1 GB of RAM doesn't cut it.)

That's true, but the 16GB Nexus 5x at $249 is a big step up for $50.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
A quick heads-up for UK goons:
Just reserved and collected a 5x at Argos, they're running a £50 off promo, beating Google by a bit. Went in expecting to pay £280 for the 32gb, was charged £250 (i.e. discounted 16gb price).
Box shows 32gb, booted it and storage shows 32gb, so if anyone's in the market for £80 off, get in there!

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 25, 2016

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I keep hearing people say that maybe HTC will make a good phone if Google is there to keep them in check but the Nexus 9 is right there as proof that a HTC Nexus can still be a shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

I keep hearing people say that maybe HTC will make a good phone if Google is there to keep them in check but the Nexus 9 is right there as proof that a HTC Nexus can still be a shitshow.

The main reason it's a shitshow is Nvidia, not HTC (though I'll admit there are some build quality issues as well).