Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Something different today! A converted Hotwheels car for use in Gaslands by Ospray games. So much fun to make something a Mad Max style car with spare stuff I had from other kids and stuff found around the house. Had a ball with it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dexefiend posted:

Insert roofing nail into power drill, dip him head first into Minwax Polyshades Tudor stain/varnish combo all the way to the top of the base. Remove him from stain, put him in the interior of a cardboard box and spin off the Minwax until it has the right amount left*.
I've never done the drill method, myself. Do you find it just as easy (though, I assume, faster) than the brush on method? Either way, you still have to mop up the excess, so I'm curious...

dexefiend posted:

dipped Skaven (relatively squeaking).
:rimshot:

tehsid posted:

Something different today! A converted Hotwheels car for use in Gaslands by Ospray games. So much fun to make something a Mad Max style car with spare stuff I had from other kids and stuff found around the house. Had a ball with it!
Noice. Have you played Gaslands yet? me and another guy are thinking about it for the group.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Noice. Have you played Gaslands yet? me and another guy are thinking about it for the group.

I haven't yet! I'm going to make 6 or so cars up over the next week or so and take it to my FLGS to play with some people. It looks super neat and converting is fun, so even if it doesn't take off, I've enjoyed making the cars.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've never done the drill method, myself. Do you find it just as easy (though, I assume, faster) than the brush on method? Either way, you still have to mop up the excess, so I'm curious...

With the drill, I am probably at 90 seconds per model, regardless of nooks and crannies, right? Some portion of that time is picking up the model, tightening the chuck, untightening the chuck, putting the model back on the cardboard painting stand.

The Minwax is not nice to paintbrushes either. It is polyurethane varnish, and needs to be cleaned with mineral spirits.

I like it because it is so repeatable.

That Bloodsecrator was my extra one, and I just wanted to see if it worked... It worked! Even with a model with sizeable amount of plastic far from the spinning axis (force increasing the further you get from the axis).

The Bloodsecrator was primed Duplicolor Red Sandable Primer (super close to German Rotbraun). Skin was airbrushed VGA Barbarian Flesh (not close at all to AP Barbarian Flesh). Plates and boots were painted VMC Black Grey, pants P3 Beast Hide, leather P3 Bootstrap Leather, bones P3 Jack Bone.

I was trying to get to 100 models in two weeks, but I stopped at 98 due to a professional exam.

Note: P3 paints have really been kicking rear end for me on this project. I wish I had all of them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Schadenboner posted:

I never really got what dipping is either (other than I know it's a high-speed painting method that assholes apparently don't like and bitch endlessly about how it's the ruin of the crafte).

At least around here I'm not aware of anyone who's actively criticized the technique. Personally I think every method is valid. The main advantage that it offers is enabling painters to take a relatively flat model and quickly shade it. There's a lot of different ways to apply it; in addition to dexefiend's drill technique you can paint it with a brush you don't particularly care about. If I ever did Tyranids I would likely give the technique a shot, maybe with an added layer of drybrushing or something to add some highlights.

The biggest challenge with dipping (as I understand it, to be clear I've only read up on the technique and not applied it) is similar to any washing technique; there's a careful balance between too little and too much. That's why a lot of methods either rely on brushing or (in the case of dexefiend) use a follow-up pass to clean up the excess. Another side effect of the polyurethane coating is that it tends to have a high sheen. Applying a matte coat can address that if you want. The urethane coating itself is a really good protector.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am testing Duplicolor Matte Wheel Coating and Testor's Dullcote. Dullcote is wonderful, but comes in small bottles.

The Bloodsecrator used Dullcote, the previously pictured Bloodreaver is Wheel Matte.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

I am testing Duplicolor Matte Wheel Coating and Testor's Dullcote. Dullcote is wonderful, but comes in small bottles.

The Bloodsecrator used Dullcote, the previously pictured Bloodreaver is Wheel Matte.

Army painter matte spray is pretty good and comes in full size cans.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
P3 paints VJ airbrush metals GW washes

~Namaste~

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

tehsid posted:

Looking good! I did the same for my Oath last month:

I have a handful of other Hotwheels (and Notwheels) to convert up sometime.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've had the one game. It was fun and the manoeuvre templates work pretty well, though in typical Osprey fashion some of the rules felt a little clunky, and it felt the advantages of being in a high gear by far outweighed the disadvantages. Then again that may change with more games.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Dipping is great for organics like Tyranids and those Khorne dudes. Don't listen to grogs.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Do people still dip models using furniture varnish? i.e. is that what Army Painter is selling for thirty loving dollars?

seems like a good way to bulk paint stormtroopers, if you don't mind their armor looking a little lived in.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Deviant posted:

Do people still dip models using furniture varnish? i.e. is that what Army Painter is selling for thirty loving dollars?

seems like a good way to bulk paint stormtroopers, if you don't mind their armor looking a little lived in.

dexefiend mentioned Minwax, so that's what I'd assume. IDK if the army painter stuff is different but I doubt it given they sell a lot of repackaged products.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

dexefiend mentioned Minwax, so that's what I'd assume. IDK if the army painter stuff is different but I doubt it given they sell a lot of repackaged products.

Oh, so he did..

I *was* looking for an excuse to buy a new cordless drill.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

This is the dream right here.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It's exactly the same stuff. I did a comparison with a couple of Zombicide minis:

I can't remember which was which, but I will say that the difference was negligible at best, and could be chalked up to how I moved the stain around while sopping up the excess.

At any rate, one is $30 and one is $7 - you can make a value judgement and determine which makes more sense to you.

Booley posted:

Army painter matte spray is pretty good and comes in full size cans.
I've heard the GW varnish is great as well, but there is the huge markup (though Testors isn't cheap either...)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's exactly the same stuff. I did a comparison with a couple of Zombicide minis:

I can't remember which was which, but I will say that the difference was negligible at best, and could be chalked up to how I moved the stain around while sopping up the excess.

Minwax on the left. Army Painter on the right.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

Minwax on the left. Army Painter on the right.

Found the original photos - you are correct. Red shoes is Minwax Polyshades Antique Walnut Gloss. If I remember, Minwax was slightly thicker out of the can, but that really didn't make a difference in terms of application.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 24, 2018

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
X-posting girlyman:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

X-posting girlyman:

That cape is incredible, and he looks way cooler with that helmet.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

X-posting girlyman:

So much nicer than 40K rowboat. I wish I could make my greens that vibrant.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've heard the GW varnish is great as well, but there is the huge markup (though Testors isn't cheap either...)

I use the Liquitex Matte varnish through my airbrush without any thinning and it works great. Just be careful about pooling since it's a bitch to fix.

TTerrible posted:

Don't listen to grogs.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Funk and WAGNALL that's a fine looking cape!!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Dipping works great for historical miniatures too. I used the same shade (MinWax Polyshades Antique Walnut Gloss) for all of my WWII minis (US, DAK, and 8th Army so far). I don't actually dip the mini like dexefiend, I apply it with a brush lovely old brush. That gives me more control and lets me avoid areas I don't want to shade (the light green bits on my DAK dudes, for instance). It took a little practice to get it right, but now I'm fairly consistent and super fast. It only takes me about 30 seconds per dude, and the results look great on the tabletop.

My recipe is prime gray, basecoat, wash with MinWax, spray with Dull-Cote, black + gunmetal, finish bases, final Dull-Cote seal. Super easy.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Posting my borderline finished Reavers everywhere.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Electric Hobo posted:

Posting my borderline finished Reavers everywhere.

These guys are living their best lives.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ilor posted:

Dipping works great for historical miniatures too. I used the same shade (MinWax Polyshades Antique Walnut Gloss) for all of my WWII minis (US, DAK, and 8th Army so far). I don't actually dip the mini like dexefiend, I apply it with a brush lovely old brush. That gives me more control and lets me avoid areas I don't want to shade (the light green bits on my DAK dudes, for instance). It took a little practice to get it right, but now I'm fairly consistent and super fast. It only takes me about 30 seconds per dude, and the results look great on the tabletop.

My recipe is prime gray, basecoat, wash with MinWax, spray with Dull-Cote, black + gunmetal, finish bases, final Dull-Cote seal. Super easy.

The final matte finish makes such a difference, those look fantastic. What are the basecoats on the top minis? I've been looking for a combination of khaki, green, and wood like that for a while.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Is there any good reason my 0 brush would dry frayed after being used once? Didn't get any paint up into the ferrule, kept it rinsed. It forms a point wet, but dries rough.

Both were used in about the same way, and I find it hard to believe I've damaged it after one use.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 24, 2018

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
They'll frizz a bit when they dry out. Moisten it before you start painting to put a tip on it, and when you're done, get just a little brush soap on there to keep it conditioned while you're not using it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Did you use hot water to clean out the brush?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

They'll frizz a bit when they dry out. Moisten it before you start painting to put a tip on it, and when you're done, get just a little brush soap on there to keep it conditioned while you're not using it.

Oh, ok. I thought I might have done something to damage it.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Did you use hot water to clean out the brush?

Nope, cold tap water. Same for both brushes.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Deviant posted:

Is there any good reason my 0 brush would dry frayed after being used once? Didn't get any paint up into the ferrule, kept it rinsed. It forms a point wet, but dries rough.

Both were used in about the same way, and I find it hard to believe I've damaged it after one use.

Possibly a bad brush - it happens. You might want to contact the seller or W&N about it and explain the situation.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Deviant posted:

This might help you:

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/inicio/627-brush-repair-gel.html

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I havent posted here in years, but I do still paint occasionally. Here are some Necromans, without finished bases as I need to airbrush them.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

I havent posted here in years, but I do still paint occasionally. Here are some Necromans, without finished bases as I need to airbrush them.

Welcome back, man. Mans are looking good. Are the models brush work or airbrush? Also, I dig how grungy they look. Also holy poo poo those goggles are amazing, how did you do that?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Duely noted, but I'm gonna talk to the company first, I wasn't abusive to this thing in any way.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Booyah- posted:

The final matte finish makes such a difference, those look fantastic. What are the basecoats on the top minis? I've been looking for a combination of khaki, green, and wood like that for a while.
Thanks, they were my first WWII minis and I was really happy with the way they turned out.

The recipe for my US GIs is as follows (and in the order that I do it):
Boots: VMC Flat Brown
Gaiters: VMC German Camo Beige
Pants: VMC US Field Drab
Skin: VMC Flat Flesh
Jackets: VMC German Camo Beige
Web gear (canteen covers, packs, suspenders, gun slings): 3:2 mix of VMC Russian Uniform and VMC Pastel Green
^^^ (You could probably get away with VMC Khaki here, but it looked a little too tan/brown)
Helmets & e-tool handles: VMC US Dark Green
Helmet strap: VMC Flat Brown
Gun stocks: VMC Mahogany Brown
-----
!!!MinWax Magic!!! (Antique Walnut gloss)
Testors Dull-Cote
-----
Gun barrels and canteen caps: VMC Black
Gun barrels: drybrush of Ral Partha Steel (but you could use any suitably dark metallic, there are loads out there).

Optional:
Dark metallic on any exposed buttons/snaps if you want those details to pop a little more (I don't bother)
Eyes if you're feeling feisty (I'm a crackhead)

So just a handful of colors and only a single mix. I was amazed how fast I could crank them out. Doing all the little web-gear straps is what takes the longest.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

Welcome back, man. Mans are looking good. Are the models brush work or airbrush? Also, I dig how grungy they look. Also holy poo poo those goggles are amazing, how did you do that?

Thanks! No airbrush for the guys, but I will be airbrushing their bases. The goggles are done using the old GW "gem" method, basically start dark and highlight a few steps towards a bottom edge, then put a dark spot and a light spot next to each other in the opposing corner.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

Thanks! No airbrush for the guys, but I will be airbrushing their bases. The goggles are done using the old GW "gem" method, basically start dark and highlight a few steps towards a bottom edge, then put a dark spot and a light spot next to each other in the opposing corner.

That poo poo's looking good dude. You playing anything still?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Sup SJ, long time no see :) I play A little malifaux, necromunda, some 40k with my son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

Sup SJ, long time no see :) I play A little malifaux, necromunda, some 40k with my son.

Sick, good to hear. I'm still tempted by Necromunda, but I think I'll dive into Kill Team later this year. Glad to see you're still in the hobby, dude.