Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm going to play Crazy D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Isn't Josuke just wearing a high school uniform with poo poo added to it? It looks too much like a costume here.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've expected the live action movie to be entirely awful since the moment it was announced so at this point i don't think anything would really surprise me

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Even Crazy Diamond can't fix poo poo costume design.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I'm not too hung up about time-traveling Josuke not being a thing. I was just hoping I predicted something, even if I guess everyone else thought of it at one point already. Time-travel is an awful storytelling device anyway. Always a ton of plot holes and retconning involved.

Even after re-reading what Bites the Dust is though, I still can't make heads or tails of it. Would anyone blame me if I said it's just a huge deus ex for Kira and its rules are horribly written? "I explode anyone who asks about me for free but time loop so they have a chance to solve it and a tiny version of my stand protects the trigger victim because suicide was too easy a solution?"

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Bite the Dust is fine. It all works to protect Kira. If it didn't time loop, perhaps someone would be able to see that people are exploding whenever they are near Hayato and be able to go straight to Kosaku and figure it out without needing to interrogate, and if Hayato were to kill himself than that would very much interfere with Kira's quiet life. It's not that contrived.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the reason it spawns is fairly specific and caters towards something that kira has talked about wanting ever since he was introduced, so, yes, i will blame you

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only really cheap thing about it, which ultimately means nothing in the Manga, is that Kira says he can only use it when he's cornered because that makes it a get out of jail free ability rather than part of his arsenal. It should just be a thing he can use whenever once he is hit by the arrow.

The complexity of how versatile and effective it is contrasts with the simple way it's defeated extremely well. It's like that clip of the Simpsons where Burns and Smithers go through a million security doors to get to somewhere in the nuclear plant and when they get there there's a lovely old door leading right outside

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 31, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Bites the Dust had a pretty huge weakness in that he has to give up using Killer Queen completely if he wants to use it on someone else. Much like Ghost Dad, its only relevance in the plot was to drag things out, but because it's part 4 that's a good thing and it should be praised.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Willsun posted:

Would anyone blame me if I said it's just a huge deus ex for Kira and its rules are horribly written?

It's drat close, given that "a polaroid floats down from Mount Olympus providing a convenient solution to the heroes problem" is the traditional Greek meaning, I believe.

The biggest difference is that a traditional deus ex machina solves every problem and closes the narrative, whereas Bites the Dust actually ramps up the tension in preparation for the actual climax.

Or in other words, Bites the Dust makes the story better, so it doesn't matter if it is or isn't a deus ex machina.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 31, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

StalkofWheat posted:

The only thing Araki Forgot™ is how to draw big muscly beefcakes.

Personally, I prefer the taller, lankier Jotaro that modern Araki drew over original flavor linebacker Jotaro.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Willsun posted:

I'm not too hung up about time-traveling Josuke not being a thing. I was just hoping I predicted something, even if I guess everyone else thought of it at one point already. Time-travel is an awful storytelling device anyway. Always a ton of plot holes and retconning involved.

Even after re-reading what Bites the Dust is though, I still can't make heads or tails of it. Would anyone blame me if I said it's just a huge deus ex for Kira and its rules are horribly written? "I explode anyone who asks about me for free but time loop so they have a chance to solve it and a tiny version of my stand protects the trigger victim because suicide was too easy a solution?"

The idea of powering Kira up by hitting him with the arrow again is a deus ex, since it resolves a seemingly impossible situation by introducing a miraculous new element (arrow being used twice powers up stands). The way it works is BTD can blow up time, and this is used two different ways: it can blow up the last hour to send Kira back, or it can be set on a non-Stand user and it will go back to when it was first placed on that person. In either case, only the person with KQ on them will remember the events that happened, so Kira in the first case and Hayato in the second case.

The only really weird thing, as Josuke said, is that there shouldn't have been artificial limits put on when and how Kira can use it. He seems to need someone to discover his identity, and seemingly it has to be a non-Stand user for the active version, which is the dumbest. And it wouldn't have significantly changed anything to say he can use it whenever he wants, since Kira obviously wants to kill Josuke and the gang, and wouldn't want to use it until it was clear he lost anyway.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
bites za dusto is good because even if it is convoluted and breaks established rules, it's really cool and leads to one of the best finales in the entire series

rules are loving terrible if they restrict what you can do artistically and plot convenience is fine so long as it's in service of something interesting

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
we should also talk about how araki hosed with the rules he established in sdc for stands very readily and the true nature of stands remains a goddamn mystery besides the fact that they are an extension of your will

even that is really wobbly given that we've seen plenty of stands that the user has no control over whatsoever and persist once the user dies

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

bites za dusto is good because even if it is convoluted and breaks established rules, it's really cool and leads to one of the best finales in the entire series

rules are loving terrible if they restrict what you can do artistically and plot convenience is fine so long as it's in service of something interesting

:yeah:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Rules of Standos Are Thus:

- what ever araki thinks is cool and would make for a fun story

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, it's great and maybe my favorite fight in the entire series. The rules of writing aren't really rules, as much as a list of things that are problematic or extremely difficult to do well, and BTD is a rare example of a deus ex machina plot twist that doesn't cheapen the story. Probably because it's a villain getting it, not the heroes as is usually the case with these things, so instead of cheapening a victory it escalates the threat.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

hoobajoo posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, it's great and maybe my favorite fight in the entire series. The rules of writing aren't really rules, as much as a list of things that are problematic or extremely difficult to do well, and BTD is a rare example of a deus ex machina plot twist that doesn't cheapen the story. Probably because it's a villain getting it, not the heroes as is usually the case with these things, so instead of cheapening a victory it escalates the threat.

yeah I didn't mean that as disagreement really, just wanted to put my feelings out there as succinctly as possible

the whole reason why part 8 is so different is because, you know, araki isn't really known for his tight writing as much as he is imagining weird characters and smashing them together in intriguing ways

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/anime_jojo/status/815180924627206144

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

- if your stand dies you die in real life*

*if you die the stand may persist and even activate for the first time

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Zaggitz posted:

Please stop engaging noted fuckhead CJ and look at this first image of Live Action Josuke instead.

He looks like someone out the great depression who had to make trousers out of a potato sack and rope. What the hell are they thinking?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Jojo chapter 1 was released 30 years ago today. Keep on truckin

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Funky Valentine posted:

as glib as this is it really is true and the way it's been 'followed' so far has been good. Stands have rules, they're kinda vague rules but in general they boil down to 'stands have to have at least some weak point even if it's obtuse and painful to get to, don't let your stand get hosed up because you're connected, stand users tend to be drawn to each other'. The ones that break these rules tend to do it for the sake of a bigger story, a big bad with a crazy stand, a hero who gets an evolving stand to represent his own growth, that stuff. The rules get broken when araki thinks it's good for the story and that's a perfectly fine standard to have because we're here for the story, not for iron clad magic fight rules.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Personally, I prefer the taller, lankier Jotaro that modern Araki drew over original flavor linebacker Jotaro.

That may be, but modern Jonathan and Joseph are a dang travesty.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's made worse for the fact that his way of showing which one is Jonathan is to give him Caesar's headband.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Momomo posted:

Isn't Josuke just wearing a high school uniform with poo poo added to it? It looks too much like a costume here.

His manga outfit is an extremely souped up uniform, yes.

This is also a uniform, delinquent style with slimmer legs instead of mega puffy ones. Now that I think on it, we don't really see the waistband in the manga, do we?

I guess I'm in the minority but I like it and am glad it's more of a riff than a replica. Then again, I'm actually excited about the movie too so I definitely know I'm off on the fringe here

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would delete it from existence given half an opportunity.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I would delete it from existence given half an opportunity.

Same, but you.

No, but seriously, considering a live-action JoJo adaptation is already the worst idea ever, that ain't a half-bad Josuke.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Can't wait for "Jotaro Kujo" featuring an anorak, board shorts, socks and sandals and regular baseball cap.

Dias posted:

Same, but you.

No, but seriously, considering a live-action JoJo adaptation is already the worst idea ever, that ain't a half-bad Josuke.

Haters hate, greaters great.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i'm not particularly optimistic. of all live action manga adaptations, there's been, what, one good one? that being said takashi miike can make a good movie, so, maybe??

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part 4 is probably the one that would be the 'easiest' to make a live movie out of but i'm still expecting it to be hot garbage

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd give that nod to Part 3, especially if you follow the OVA basic route and only hit certain important points.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Part 1 would probably be the easiest to adapt, but I still wouldn't want to see a live action anime thing since while some are good, a lot seem to be garbage.

Thankfully I do not have to watch the part 4 movie and its existence isnt gonna take away from the anime or the manga being good :)

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Part 4 can be shot in any old Japanese town instead of needing exotic locations

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

El Burbo posted:

Part 4 can be shot in any old Japanese town instead of needing exotic locations

yeah, that's what i was getting at mostly. they don't have to go to weird places or make really bad sets, so i guess they can focus on other things instead.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

A Japanese film taking place in a Japanese town being filmed in Japan makes sense right? Too much sense. Not bizarre enough. So naturally it's being shot primarily in Spain.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

El Burbo posted:

The stands are gonna be really bad looking CG

Yeah

But imagine if they were real actors in costumes

Or at least motion captured like gollum

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

30 years of Jojo, peeps.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

30 years of Jojo, peeps.

Here's to 30 more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hoobajoo posted:

Here's to 30 more.

Man, the monthly schedule on Jojolion is THAT harsh on pacing?

We're lucky that Araki is immortal and will never stop producing content and JoJos. May our great-grandchildren enjoy part 32.