Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Count Bleck posted:

Startled Awake is a cool card.

Ravenous Bloodseeker looks like it had flying removed from it, artwise.

Startled Awake is really neat design.

I loooove Sinister Concotion though. The whole mixing a few costs to blowing up a creature is neat; also 2 shots to enable Delirium and Madness is surely value somewhere along the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Startled Awake is one of those cards where you think its a cool design until you open your prerelease pack, see it and say "oh."

It's a card Maro designed to say he did it.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
According to Maro's article, there will be one or two DFCs in each pack; I guess the new card face lets them mix them in with regular cards

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Startled Awake is one of those cards where you think its a cool design until you open your prerelease pack, see it and say "oh."

It's EDH nonsense.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

pretty much: "This spell was created specifically by Sam Stoddard as a means to demonstrate the kinds of design space we hadn't yet explored with double-faced cards."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I loving love Sinister Concoction and if you don't you are wrong and also a bad person. :colbert:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

It's EDH nonsense.

it doesn't even look good in EDH to me

like the 8 mana angel

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Startled Awake looks like Pack Rat levels of limited bomb, thankfully it's a mythic. I know my first thought when I see that card played is "Ah, I lost. Nice."

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Yawgmoth posted:

I loving love Sinister Concoction and if you don't you are wrong and also a bad person. :colbert:

I like it.

It's a spicy brew. :v:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
For those of you who may be missing the flavor: the Sinister Concoction is Smallpox :gonk:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Don't you mean 'when you die on turn 6 to it in a draft'

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Sinister Concoction is great in limited and I don't think there will be a better removal spell in this whole block.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

Sinister Concoction is great in limited and I don't think there will be a better removal spell in this whole block.

The 1W Exile a creature and they investigate is better.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Finally, a card to give my library haste!

e: seems fairly bad honestly. The plus doesn't do very much and the minus is conditional

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 14, 2016

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Captain Capitalism posted:

Startled Awake looks like Pack Rat levels of limited bomb, thankfully it's a mythic. I know my first thought when I see that card played is "Ah, I lost. Nice."

Yeah. "Mill 13. Repeat this process in 2 turns." is pretty nasty.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

so...4 planeswalkers in this set? Weird card

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nahiri seems more likely to be good in Modern than Standard to me... Don't really have that much behind that other than the fact that you can get Blightsteel or Emrakul with her -8 2 turns after she comes down.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I guess we're getting Jace and Liliana in EMN, then?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
That seems really solid just for alternating between "pitch madness card/land for card draw" and Better Assassinate. Searching out your wincon is just gravy.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Cernunnos posted:

Depends how many 1 power blockers there are

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

The 'tapped creature' part is slightly awkward, but a high starting loyalty, the + being +2, and being 4 mana are nice.

edit: also being versatile in the types of permanents it gets with the -2 is great.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I like it a lot, personally, it does a lot of cool things. Sure, it's not going to be Constructed playable, but I think it's a really remarkable design where everything dovetails nicely. If I open it at the prerelease and I'm in blue, I think I'll give it a shot; it's an investment to get that second cast but they can't stop it forever.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So uh, that makes our 3 walkers Arlinn, Sorin, and Nahiri, then.

Okay. Nahiri also seems pretty good.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

requires you to skip a bunch of turns and also they can block with 1 power dudes or kill your skulk dude

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Nahiri seems more likely to be good in Modern than Standard to me... Don't really have that much behind that other than the fact that you can get Blightsteel or Emrakul with her -8 2 turns after she comes down.

She doesn't seem terribly likely to be good in all that much.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Tutor and Dash any creature in your library seems good, especially with Eldrazi in play. Not sure I see a RW titans deck happening though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

She doesn't seem likely to be good in anything.

This is probably the more likely outcome. I don't think she's great.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
WOO! New Nahiri.

I need that in my life even if it ends up being bad.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Doubling Season, play Nahiri, ultimate right away, or whatever, ahaha

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Funny how her ultimate doesn't work as you'd hope with Batterskull.

She seems good, disregarding her ultimate she either comes down and draws a card in place of one you don't want or exiles something. And she can get to 8 pretty quick, so if there's something good to use with it that can be a big threat. There might be times you don't want to use the +2 and can't use the -2 mind.

Edit: One of the best things about her is she can come down, -2 and threaten to -2 again.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Elyv posted:

requires you to skip a bunch of turns and also they can block with 1 power dudes or kill your skulk dude
If they kill it you can just try again. 1 power guys are something but I assume hitting someone with skulk will be possible in this set otherwise the mechanic would be pointless.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
You can keep reanimating Recurring Nightmare to chump block which is cool.

What card type does it count as for the sake of delirium?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

The 1W Exile a creature and they investigate is better.

Oh yeah, I misremembered that card as having a drawback instead of a bonus. Still, that's a rare and this is an uncommon. Concoction probably has more upside in madness and self-mill focused limited decks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If they kill it you can just try again. 1 power guys are something but I assume hitting someone with skulk will be possible in this set otherwise the mechanic would be pointless.

It's really, really slow to do that. I don't think this is unplayable, but I also don't think this is a bomb.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Cards are face up in all zones except the battlefield.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GeneX posted:

I guess we're getting Tamiyo and Liliana in EMN, then?

FTFY

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

dragon enthusiast posted:

The face up side probably.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Count Bleck posted:

So uh, that makes our 3 walkers Arlinn, Sorin, and Nahiri, then.

Okay. Nahiri also seems pretty good.

looks like a planeswalker art to me, plus he's the face of the set and all that

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Edit: One of the best things about her is she can come down, -2 and threaten to -2 again.

This is reasonable, since one of Ajani Vengeant's main play modes was to -2 immediately, although Ajani Vengeant also had way more relevant other modes and gain 3 life was definitely relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Nahiri seems really good in standard, I don't know about Moderm yet but if she doesn't I think it'll be more because there isn't a deck for her.

• Locked thread