Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Phoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I

Still my favourite Mitchell & Webb sketch.
I think the Laboratoire Garnier sketch is on another level from everything else they've done, it's my favourite sketch of anyone's I've seen in years. I'd link it now but I'm on my semi-broken tablet and copy-pasting doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hoops posted:

I think the Laboratoire Garnier sketch is on another level from everything else they've done, it's my favourite sketch of anyone's I've seen in years. I'd link it now but I'm on my semi-broken tablet and copy-pasting doesn't work.

That one loving slayed me too, just for when he takes his hat off and it goes into slow motion.

The Sky Sports ad sketch is great too.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

onoflalks posted:

An excuse to post about Armando's barber? I'll take it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY6UngkXdjg

I absolutely love these bits, as I love basically everything in the Armando Iannucci Show, but I've always wondered what on earth the barber's accent is supposed to be? I like it, I just have no idea what it is

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Paperhouse posted:

I absolutely love these bits, as I love basically everything in the Armando Iannucci Show, but I've always wondered what on earth the barber's accent is supposed to be? I like it, I just have no idea what it is

I always thought it was Greek or Italian, that sort of area.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
South African, isn't it?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Alan Ford is loving brilliant.

And the barber's Italian, duhhh. Doesn't he even say "my Italian barber" at one stage?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hoops posted:

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOYCkHFMnVc

Hadn't seen it before, it's a good one. The ending is great too.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

The real tragedy of It's Kevin is the amazing cast it wastes.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

McDragon posted:

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOYCkHFMnVc

Hadn't seen it before, it's a good one. The ending is great too.
That's it. I actually think the ending is the weakest part of it, it's the developing of the concept that I think is amazing. "Scientists who work in the actual Laboratoire Garnier" is a decent enough premise, but the character of Monsieur Garnier, incredibly menacing, with a Yorkshire accent, in a tweed suit, referred to as "Monsieur Garnier", is genius.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Paperhouse posted:

He's an Italian who's lived in London long enough that he's picked up the dialect but still has the strong foreign accent. It's like Henning Wehn.

He might be known as the old hard guy in gangster films to most people but he's the East End Thug to me :allears:

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

onoflalks posted:

He's an Italian who's lived in London long enough that he's picked up the dialect but still has the strong foreign accent. It's like Henning Wehn.

He might be known as the old hard guy in gangster films to most people but he's the East End Thug to me :allears:

Yep and yep!

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
The barber is South African in Alan Partridge.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Bloodbath posted:

The barber is South African in Alan Partridge.

Also, surprisingly, the accountant from Life's Too Short.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Sounds more Italian to me.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Wogan's looking well. Wish he was still doing eurovision.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The Challenger (BBC2) was really good. A fairly standard biopic/docudrama construction but very well made and with a great performance from William Hurt as Feynman.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Leon with a Zero posted:

Wogan's looking well. Wish he was still doing eurovision.

Mum?

When did Masterchef become all American. I happened to catch a bit of it earlier. Time was when people in this country saw their families blown apart in their homes and they just got on with things. Now it seems that having an emotional breakdown seems to be an acceptable response to a chef criticising your beef wellington.

What a load of tosh.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

sex pervert posted:

Mum?

When did Masterchef become all American. I happened to catch a bit of it earlier. Time was when people in this country saw their families blown apart in their homes and they just got on with things. Now it seems that having an emotional breakdown seems to be an acceptable response to a chef criticising your beef wellington.

What a load of tosh.

It's all the fake jeopardy they throw in there to ratchet up the dramatic tension. It's not enough to have people cooking, it has to be cooking that *doesn't get any harder than this*. If you want a version without all of that, watch Masterchef Australia. Not only is their format better (the UK show has copied it more and more in the last 2 years) but the whole competition is way more positive and friendly. People actually giving people encouragement and presenters that seem to get on better with the contestants.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

HauntedRobot posted:

People actually giving people encouragement and presenters that seem to get on better with the contestants.

I'd like to see more of this. The whole "constant jeopardy" format has spread from competitions on to documentaries that follow people doing fairly routine tasks which they're very good at. ("DISASTER STRIKES as the head chef of the restaurant notices the pan he usually uses for pasta is IN THE WASH. But he's got an order for two bologneses for table 6! What's he going to do? Find out after the break!" "Oh, he's got another pan from the other cupboard. Panic over everyone.")

I much preferred the comic relief Great British Bake-off cos everyone was being light-hearted and wasn't really upset about losing as opposed to the normal contestants who are constantly crying cos of all the pressure. Somebody here suggested not knocking anyone out, having a star baker every week and then declaring a winner at the end. I'd much prefer that - there's better ways of getting an adrenaline fix than an artificially pressurised baking programme.

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 23, 2013

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

sex pervert posted:

Mum?

What a load of tosh.

HauntedRobot posted:

It's all the fake jeopardy they throw in there to ratchet up the dramatic tension. It's not enough to have people cooking, it has to be cooking that *doesn't get any harder than this*. If you want a version without all of that, watch Masterchef Australia. Not only is their format better (the UK show has copied it more and more in the last 2 years) but the whole competition is way more positive and friendly. People actually giving people encouragement and presenters that seem to get on better with the contestants.

Awwwww, my current nasty vice mentioned at last!
Don't watch TV much, but one thing that has kept me sane during work is watching Masterchef.
Now I was the same and never seen it for years, last time must have been in the Lloyd Grossman era, but I clicked on last years Masterchef Australia and was hooked.
Both of them are fake tension and such, more so in the UK version, but its like a soap opera without the cliche 4 story lines repeating themselves over and over.
Masterchef Australia is very MTV though, too touchy feely and lingering vacant stares, but the bulldog Aussie cook presenter is excellent to watch. He takes no poo poo, and looks/talks like an aussie gangster.

On Masterchef UK though, the two presenters are MASSIVE pricks, but its fun trying to spot the 'dog whistle' comments from them before the end of the show when they kick off a contestant. Or trying to guess which contestant from the 'interview to the camera' time bits will get the kick, the more air time and more emotional it is, its bye-bye time.

"This is my only one true life dream, I will literally kill my family and kids if I don't win".......110% out the door 5 mins later.

If you want blatent fake tension try watching Best British Menu that is currently on. One show a day for the full week, currently on iplayer.
Not sure if its up or not still, but one ending had the 'on tomorrows' bit showing one of the chef's over cooking some souffle or custard and they cut it into such a OMG music crashing cliffhanger.
Next episode, chef over cooks souffle/custard, says "No worries, have plenty of time to make another, only takes 5 mins".

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Jonnty posted:

I much preferred the comic relief bake-off cos everyone was being light-hearted and wasn't really upset about losing as opposed to the normal contestants who are constantly crying cos of all the pressure.

That's what I can't stand. The crying. Grown people breaking down on Masterchef because somebody didn't like their roast potatoes. It's just way too much on a cooking programme.

Something similar happened with The Apprentice. I loved the first series. One of the best things the BBC produced for years back then. The focus of the show was on the tasks, and the boardroom at the end lasted just a few minutes. The candidates were actually credible business people who got on really well with each other and did their best to win the tasks. Brilliant telly.

Second series? They chose as candidates a bunch of really stupid people with massive egos. The focus of the show was entirely on the bitching and fighting and monumental fuckups and emotional meltdowns. The show became a parody of what it had been.

But why did I type all those words? We all know how it happens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ss-59fi4nM

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

So I just saw the first episode of In the Flesh. Overall, I thought it was actually pretty good. A whole lot happened in just an hour of TV, and it moved at a pretty good pace, too. Standard British flaw of not being able to write angsty/troubled characters without seeming a bit forced though - the daughter was incredibly annoying in her portrayal. I don't understand something that seems pretty huge, though;

So at the end of the first episode, an old woman is killed for being a zombie. My question is; why not call the police, then and there. If zombies are treated as humans in this world (and for all we've seen, they totally should be), the HVF guy just murdered an old woman in cold blood. The first thing the family should do is call the police, and on top of that, call the press so a spotlight is shined on that town.

I hope this is explained - though honestly, I can see them sort of shirking a satisfactory explanation with something along the lines of "the police in the town are zombie racists too". I hope not, because I quite enjoyed the first episode.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

sex pervert posted:

But why did I type all those words? We all know how it happens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ss-59fi4nM

Now we know.

Now we know.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thread still needs more Alan Ford.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQo4sxX2oQg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGlUUAmjxk

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2WuAPfaapY

BizarroAzrael posted:

Now we know.

Now we know.

Yet another sketch you don't really fully appreciate until you realise you can never take anyone going "ahhh, now we know" seriously again.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Cristobal Tapia de Veer, who composed the soundtrack for Utopia, has made a Youtube playlist of Utopia videos. It's mostly bits of the soundtrack, which is good, but it also contains possibly the most adorable thing ever.

e: are all the personalised videos for TV critics or something?

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 23, 2013

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Jonnty posted:

Somebody here suggested not knocking anyone out, having a star baker every week and then declaring a winner at the end. I'd much prefer that - there's better ways of getting an adrenaline fix than an artificially pressurised baking programme.

On bakeoff, the difficulty of the bakes actually genuinely increases through the each season. The first episode is basically "bake your favourite pie" and the last is "make a multi-layer chiffon sponge edible artwork".

My wife and I were watching Masterchef UK last night on iPlayer and it was painful, it felt like a catalogue of the many gurns of Greg Wallace, like the artificial jeopardy was somehow on a ratchet attached to his facial muscles.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The best thing to come out of Masterchef has definitely been Masterchef Synesthesia.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

I've seen ads for two different shows in which Olivia Colman (Sophie off Peepshow) was doing a "devastated face" and walking towards the camera. One of them was shown a lot. I guess that's her specialty. Voice of McVities chocolate digestives too! It's starting to feel like every consumer item I can think of has had an ad voiced by a Peepshow actor.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jonnty posted:

Cristobal Tapia de Veer, who composed the soundtrack for Utopia, has made a Youtube playlist of Utopia videos. It's mostly bits of the soundtrack, which is good, but it also contains possibly the most adorable thing ever.

e: are all the personalised videos for TV critics or something?

Seems they may have pulled the channel or its censored for us plebs.
Tried joining the channel, subscribing to it, etc, and error messages every time.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

sex pervert posted:

I've seen ads for two different shows in which Olivia Colman (Sophie off Peepshow) was doing a "devastated face" and walking towards the camera. One of them was shown a lot. I guess that's her specialty. Voice of McVities chocolate digestives too! It's starting to feel like every consumer item I can think of has had an ad voiced by a Peepshow actor.

I always think of her as Carrie from the car insurance advert. "Carrie??" "Barry?" "Barry???" "Carrie????"

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Seems they may have pulled the channel or its censored for us plebs.
Tried joining the channel, subscribing to it, etc, and error messages every time.

Weird. All the videos seem to still be visible, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGim9DTdNlg

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

NaDy posted:

The best thing to come out of Masterchef has definitely been Masterchef Synesthesia.

Who likes the base, base, base, base, the buttery biscuit base?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfeyUGZt8nk

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I can't take Masterchef seriously after someone pointed out the presenters look like the burglars from Home Alone.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Has anybody else seen the trailer for Warwick Davis and the Seven Dwarves of Auschwitz? I can hardly believe what I just typed. But apparently this is a real show. In the trailer he's doing a "solemn, but sexy!" voice as he reads quality lines like "what happened here was beyond the imagining of the darkest fairytale".

Honestly if I'd seen the video out of context I'd have assumed it was a spoof ridiculous documentary/holocaust joke from Life's Too Short. I can't seem to find the video anywhere. I almost pissed myself laughing the first time I saw it.

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 23, 2013

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

sex pervert posted:

Has anybody else seen the trailer for Warwick Davis and the Seven Dwarves of Auschwitz? I can hardly believe what I just typed. But apparently this is a real show. In the trailer he's doing a "solemn, but sexy!" voice as he reads quality lines like "what happened here was beyond the imagining of the darkest fairytale".

Honestly if I'd seen the video out of context I'd have assumed it was a spoof ridiculous documentary/holocaust joke from Life's Too Short. I can't seem to find the video anywhere. I almost pissed myself laughing the first time I saw it.

This?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHdHL-pQlj0

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

onoflalks posted:

Who likes the base, base, base, base, the buttery biscuit base?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfeyUGZt8nk

Another good UKtv swedemason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY9u0LxIWJk

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Nah. It was only about 20 seconds long, this one.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

sex pervert posted:

I can't remember the product, but recently there was an advert voiced by 'Mark', and every time I heard it, I couldn't help but think of his inner-monologue against Couscous. I'm sure that's not the effect they were after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

I can't remember the product, but recently there was an advert voiced by 'Mark', and every time I heard it, I couldn't help but think of his inner-monologue against Couscous. I'm sure that's not the effect they were after.

Yeah, he was doing one for breakfast biscuits the other day. I was listening to Mark talking positively about breakfast biscuits and starting his day. That can only come across as sarcastic.

I mean how he's getting voice work for adverts like that is beyond me, given that he's known only for whingeing about everything and being a bit of a poo poo, both in and out of character.

edit: still not as bad as Robert Webb talking about cuddly Koala enjoying lovely soft Cushelle toilet tissue. That was creepy as gently caress, given Jeremy's penchant for having his arsehole stimulated.

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 23, 2013