Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Actually it's the pixie dust. I ain't saying Peter has a problem, but he does sparkle a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
think it's just that Peter has the attention span of a goldfish so he doesn't care. If I remember right, fairies in Peter Pan are extremely short lived and Tinkerbell dies of old age near the end of the story and Peter shortly after forgets she ever even existed.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
This is gonna be a few week of pages.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Poor Ysengrin just wants her to ride on his arm :smith:

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Beating around the bush is a thing we won't be doing this chapter.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
Coyote is hunting? Does that sound kinda ominous to anyone else?

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
The way she phrased it, she seems to already suspect he isn't aware of what happened.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Poor Ysengrin just wants her to ride on his arm :smith:

Ugh that part. :cry: Coyote you are an impossible jerk I hate you look at poor Ysengrin he has no idea why Annie is afraid of him now! (never change coyote you're the best character in this comic)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isn't Coyote pretty much The Forest though? I don't think it matters where he is, he will know regardless.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Coyote's not stupid. He more than likely already knows what Annie was planning.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AE-35 Unit posted:

It turns out that that Ysengrin is Coyote in disguise.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

AE-35 Unit posted:

I dunno, I find it doubtful that Coyote can know what's going on on the other side of the river. He may be a god, but like he said himself, he's only a god because people believe him to be. If the court believes that the annan waters will keep Coyote out of the court, then I'd bet that's pretty much how it works.

But I do agree that Coyote probably does know what Annie's thinking. How? Because he's Coyote :colbert:

VVV I really like the difference between what the forest initially looked like and how we've seen it more recently (and today).

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Speaking of the forest, it's drawn in particularly gorgeous fashion here. Especially panel three.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

AE-35 Unit posted:

Maybe. He's not omniscient OR omnipresent though. It's easy to get stuck on that idea since Christianity is so prevalent. He might be watching to see what will happen and pop in. There's some chance even Coyote will be surprised because Annie is weird. Remember when Jeanne gave her that cut on her face and later Annie's main regret from back then was that she didn't try to help her? Almost no one else would react that way and Coyote doesn't have reason to believe that she would. My guess is that Coyote's watching and just as soon as Ysengrin starts to talk about Coyote eating his memories (he seemed to know what was happening last time) Coyote's gonna pop up and find a way to change the subject.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I don't think he'd just know, but it wouldn't surprise me if he'd already anticipated and planned for whatever she's going to do plus a dozen other things.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Maybe. He's not omniscient OR omnipresent though. It's easy to get stuck on that idea since Christianity is so prevalent. He might be watching to see what will happen and pop in. There's some chance even Coyote will be surprised because Annie is weird. Remember when Jeanne gave her that cut on her face and later Annie's main regret from back then was that she didn't try to help her? Almost no one else would react that way and Coyote doesn't have reason to believe that she would. My guess is that Coyote's watching and just as soon as Ysengrin starts to talk about Coyote eating his memories (he seemed to know what was happening last time) Coyote's gonna pop up and find a way to change the subject.

I was mainly saying that Coyote's going to know that Annie's gonna have questions about such a glaring discrepancy in Ysengrin's behavior when they next see each other. Kind of an obvious thing to say, I guess.

But nah, I've never thought of Coyote in relation to Christianity. I just think he's pretty old and has been around the block more than a few times to know how humans work (especially since he was brought into "existence" by them), though he has admitted on occasion that they still manage to surprise him.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Being hunted by Coyote must be incredibly frustrating and terrifying at the same time.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

SHISHKABOB posted:

I dunno, I find it doubtful that Coyote can know what's going on on the other side of the river. He may be a god, but like he said himself, he's only a god because people believe him to be. If the court believes that the annan waters will keep Coyote out of the court, then I'd bet that's pretty much how it works.

You don't even have to get into that deep of an interpretation. When Coyote split the Forest and the Court he promised to keep to his side of the river. Of course his brand of "not lying" could mean any number of things from him already having agents running around in the Court to grooming Annie to live there while becoming more and more aligned with the Forest.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Razorwired posted:

You don't even have to get into that deep of an interpretation. When Coyote split the Forest and the Court he promised to keep to his side of the river.

Suddenly, Renard. :ms:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Awww, Ysengrin wants his hug to give her an arm ride. :3:

FezCactus
Jun 2, 2013

Butt dance, butt dance
Oh boy. That sure is awkward. Poor Ysengrin :(

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I'm very interested in Ysengrin's reply. I'm curious to see if he just remembers everything except for the bits Coyote stole, or if he has wholly different memories in their place. Very pretty page. The extra time Tom has to put into his coloring and backgrounds in particular really shows lately. The forest is gorgeous in that 3rd panel.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I wonder if his answer's gonna be something like "you don't remember, girl?" and he'll describe everything that happened on Annie's last visit before the incident. But he looks pretty awkward in panel 5 so I suspect he might have a vague memory of something really bad happening.

Also I really wanna know just what might Coyote be hunting.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
To me it looked like Y knows that Coyote sometimes manipulates his memory.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

It's so refreshing to have a story that doesn't rely on characters acting like idiots and not talking to each other about misunderstandings so the author can stretch a problem out over pages and pages. That's the most annoying, overused trope and I want to give Tom a cookie for throwing it overboard immediately.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

It's so refreshing to have a story that doesn't rely on characters acting like idiots and not talking to each other about misunderstandings so the author can stretch a problem out over pages and pages. That's the most annoying, overused trope and I want to give Tom a cookie for throwing it overboard immediately.

So what you're saying is, good storytellers don't insult the intelligence of their audience?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah, very much hoping Wednesday's comic is a calm and frank discussion of Ysengrin's behaviour and Coyote's memory eating tendencies. Or at least the former followed by Ysengrin getting all pissy at her for telling weird lies.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

AE-35 Unit posted:

I was mainly saying that Coyote's going to know that Annie's gonna have questions about such a glaring discrepancy in Ysengrin's behavior when they next see each other. Kind of an obvious thing to say, I guess.

But nah, I've never thought of Coyote in relation to Christianity. I just think he's pretty old and has been around the block more than a few times to know how humans work (especially since he was brought into "existence" by them), though he has admitted on occasion that they still manage to surprise him.

I meant that there's often a mental block in giving gods power that they don't have. I still have trouble with this.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

AE-35 Unit posted:

So what you're saying is, good storytellers don't insult the intelligence of their audience?

Eeyup. If a movie or a show has someone overhear half a conversation and make a bunch of assumptions that they seethe about without ever just flat out talking to someone, I just turn it off and forget it exists. It is the most idiotic, contrived story technique, and any author that uses it should be beaten over the head with a rolled up script until they promise to stop.

I didn't really think Tom was going to go that route, but I had a vague fear that we might end up in something similar. I should know better!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 6, 2017

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I wonder what Coyote hunts? Road runners?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I meant that there's often a mental block in giving gods power that they don't have. I still have trouble with this.

Coyote is not omnipotent, but it's not too much of a stretch to give him limited omnipresence within the Gillitie Woods. Not after he described himself as pretty much being the forest. He can also disguise and hide himself. He could pretty much be anywhere at any moment. You can never assume, when in the Forest, that Coyote is not there spying on you somehow. He's also powerful enough to be able to affect the Moon (Annie's fingerprint being evidence of it). Maybe not Almighty like the Judeo-Christian God, but still extremely powerful.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 19, 2013

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Daktar posted:

I wonder what Coyote hunts? Road runners?

Fairies. Knowing that they're basically forest candy is what makes them tolerable.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cat Mattress posted:

He can also disguise and hide himself.

I wouldn't be shocked if Annie was talking to a disguised Coyote right now, to be honest. Great way to throw her and the Court off what is causing Ysengrin's deterioration, and to toy with her the way he did the previous Forest medium.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Rasselas posted:

Recently, I found myself missing the old angular head designs. I found the early art different and interesting, along with the weird atmosphere and setting. I started reading early on, around Fangs of Summertime, I think? While the art has certainly improved, I get a bit annoyed when people emphasize it, as if it was bad in the beginning. I don't think it was, and I occasionally miss some of the old stylistic quirks.

Going back to this, this is how I feel about the early chapters too. They were very unpolished and tentative compared to what the comic has become now, but the way Tom did the curious character design, the kind of simple backgrounds but very atmospheric angles and the careful choice of color palettes he used were what caught my attention at first and kept me reading until the story actually got rolling properly.

I actually liked better the art style where his lines were at their thickest and his character design had smoothed out, but before he started drawing Annie more like a young woman than as a child. Not that I don't like the improvements and the experimental touches he has more lately, mind.

It's just that now the art seems more... kind of standard, I guess? Really, really well done, but not as distinctive in style as it was earlier.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think he started drawing her like a young woman instead of a child because she started to transition from being a child to being a young woman.

To me, the art is still definitively Gunnerkrigg. It doesn't feel standard. The wide range of really expressive faces, the ether scenes, thoughtful panel layout choices, they're all still in full force. People look different now, but it feels a lot different than, say, Questionable Content's art changes. These characters are growing up, and I feel like the art changes help show that.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Annie has "blunt" and "asleep" as two modes of thought.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Well Coyote did drop a protip.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Well Coyote did drop a protip.

That panel is super menacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Cat Mattress posted:

Coyote is not omnipotent, but it's not too much of a stretch to give him limited omnipresence within the Gillitie Woods. Not after he described himself as pretty much being the forest. He can also disguise and hide himself. He could pretty much be anywhere at any moment. You can never assume, when in the Forest, that Coyote is not there spying on you somehow. He's also powerful enough to be able to affect the Moon (Annie's fingerprint being evidence of it). Maybe not Almighty like the Judeo-Christian God, but still extremely powerful.

This statement is confusing to me.

Coyote is omnipotent. He is able to do anything that he chooses to do, and anything that is in accord with his nature. He created the world, he can pluck the moon from the sky, he can make people (but fucks it up). He is a god. Omnipotence does not mean without limits; Coyote can only do what he will do (same with the Judeo-Christian deity, really, the iron chariots and covenant not to flood the world again and such). That may seem confusing, but Gunnerkrigg Court is big on Mythic Reality, which is the entire point of The Great Secret. Things happen because men believe they have, gods exist because men believe they do, the fire spirit ancestor of Annie exists only because someone thought it did. And was willing to find beauty in it. Coyote exists because men believe he does, which arguably means he doesn't exist at all. He's the figment of a diseased mind, but also omnipotent because of that mind that ascribes so many things to his will. Because Mythic Reality.