Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

That's why the best roguelite is Nuclear Throne.
Spelunky, but Nuclear Throne is a close second for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

KingSlime posted:

Yeah that doesn't sound fun. On that note, I wanted to try Gungeon cuz it looks slick but the complaints people had were just hitting too many "right" notes for me. It sounds bad.

I played Gungeon for an hour..I didn't like it. All the bosses I fought were pretty much how I described fighting the Rag Man, except mix Touhou with BoI and you have Gungeon bosses. The game was also really loving stingy about giving me any keys, which i later found out are used as a currency along with bullets, except they're a currency that unlocks game mechanics. Also, mimics.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Spelunky IS good but Nuclear Throne is currently my fave because I have played that game dry.

I'd love a sequel with a different "theme" and same format. New traps, new poo poo to learn, but the core idea more or less the same. Learning it and getting better was so loving good.

Until I got good at murdering shopkeepers and robbing them of their livelihood:getin:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

KingSlime posted:

Yeah that doesn't sound fun. On that note, I wanted to try Gungeon cuz it looks slick but the complaints people had were just hitting too many "right" notes for me. It sounds bad.
It's not bad, but it has problems. Nuclear Throne is a much better game, although they're different enough that Gungeon doesn't feel totally unnecessary. I wouldn't say it's as fundamentally bad in its mechanics as FTL, it's just weirdly stingy with resources in a way that makes the game way less fun to play, because you don't get to enjoy all the fast-paced bullet-dodging weapon-firing fun when you're very carefully saving ammo like it's a survival horror game. But, unlike FTL, you can fix a huge number of the game's issues with Cheat Engine. The core gameplay works, it just has some numbers problems holding it back.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Basically, Enter the Gungeon is the poster child of Things Dragging The Game Down. Its core mechanics are good, which is a great start, but it has tons of small issues that add up: ammo stinginess, key stinginess, weapon balance, spongey bosses that would probably be fine except they make the first two issues worse and the first two issues make them worse, etc. etc. Cheating the numbers higher makes such a huge difference it really just emphasizes how much the game's loot and ammo systems are holding it back and affect everything else.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

As someone with really bad reflexes, I much preferred Deathstate over Nuclear Throne as you don't have to aim in that game and can instead focus on dodging alone. Much more compelling to me, particularly as with a lot of practice I got good enough to beat it, whereas in Nuclear Throne I can't make it to the sewers without a lot of struggling. :negative:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Gungeon is a loving miserable experience because you can make it through the entire first floor without finding a weapon, and as soon as you fall behind the power curve even a little bit you're screwed because of the enemy HP scaling.

Also you only get the health upgrades from bosses if you clear them without taking damage, so if you do attempt the boss with your starting weapon, you're very unlikely to no-hit it because every boss takes for loving ever without a proper gun. And then you're doubly behind the curve.

The worst part about Gungeon is that FAU is right, it is a fundamentally sound game, but you never get the chance to enjoy it without cheating. The game has a staggeringly huge arsenal of really cool, unique and fun guns that are strong and neat and you just aren't gonna see them.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Oct 6, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Shadowgate (2014) has a quicksave button which I used often, and a quickload button which I basically never used at all because for some reason, you can't use it once you trigger anything at all that causes you to die. So instead of dying to a thing, quickloading and trying something else when I see the message that I already know leads into me dying, I have to click through the next several messages describing how I die, wait for whatever animation of a goblin eating my face or whatever, then the screen turning red, then the game over screen coming up, then kicking me back to the main menu where I can choose to load my last save.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Nope

And the most recent patch added 'save on quit' because they didn't think of that originally

Because ~the modders will fix everything~ is apparently Bethesdas main plan nowadays

You're complaining that an optional ridiculously hard and unforgiving difficulty level is too hard and unforgiving. I don't think Bethesda is at fault here.

RyokoTK posted:

Gungeon is a loving miserable experience because you can make it through the entire first floor without finding a weapon, and as soon as you fall behind the power curve even a little bit you're screwed because of the enemy HP scaling.

Also you only get the health upgrades from bosses if you clear them without taking damage, so if you do attempt the boss with your starting weapon, you're very unlikely to no-hit it because every boss takes for loving ever without a proper gun. And then you're doubly behind the curve.

The worst part about Gungeon is that FAU is right, it is a fundamentally sound game, but you never get the chance to enjoy it without cheating. The game has a staggeringly huge arsenal of really cool, unique and fun guns that are strong and neat and you just aren't gonna see them.

I've never played it but from what I saw every other thing in the game was some kind of reference, like the boss that was Vulcan Raven from MGS only as a literal anthropomorphi raven. I don't get what it is with indie games with pixel graphics thinking that references are a substitute for personality but it's embarrassingly prevalent. It's depressing when somebody says something good about the humor of, say, Death Road to Canada and the first ten seconds of the trailer is someone tearing around in the dog car from Dumb and Dumber with an anachronistic anime schoolgirl spouting internet memes.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

It's depressing when somebody says something good about the humor of, say, Death Road to Canada and the first ten seconds of the trailer is someone tearing around in the dog car from Dumb and Dumber with an anachronistic anime schoolgirl spouting internet memes.

you just described the opening to the next borderlands game

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Guy Mann posted:

I've never played it but from what I saw every other thing in the game was some kind of reference, like the boss that was Vulcan Raven from MGS only as a literal anthropomorphi raven. I don't get what it is with indie games with pixel graphics thinking that references are a substitute for personality but it's embarrassingly prevalent. It's depressing when somebody says something good about the humor of, say, Death Road to Canada and the first ten seconds of the trailer is someone tearing around in the dog car from Dumb and Dumber with an anachronistic anime schoolgirl spouting internet memes.

Gungeon actually does well with that, though. The entire setting of the game is just a massive nexus of guns, and so it includes a bunch of famous guns. It's also got a bunch of non-referential guns, most of which are weird and fun jokes (my favorite is the lowercase r).

I'm pretty sure that's one of the only bosses that's a reference, most of them are just puns. The Gorgun, Ammoconda, Cannonbalrog, such like that (even the one you describe is Gatling Gull). I'm not sure if you'd count Beholster as a pun, reference or both, since Beholders are just on the edge of 'standard fantasy stable' at this point.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Oct 6, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Basically, Enter the Gungeon is the poster child of Things Dragging The Game Down. Its core mechanics are good, which is a great start, but it has tons of small issues that add up: ammo stinginess, key stinginess, weapon balance, spongey bosses that would probably be fine except they make the first two issues worse and the first two issues make them worse, etc. etc. Cheating the numbers higher makes such a huge difference it really just emphasizes how much the game's loot and ammo systems are holding it back and affect everything else.

Gungeon was just too loving hard for me. I beat everything in BoI besides those stupid The Lost unlocks but me playing Gungeon is like my grandma playing Marvel vs. Capcom. I played it for 5 hours and only made it to level 3 once and just wasn't having any fun so I put it down.

It's a shame because everything but the gameplay is great.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guy Mann posted:

Nah that's not a very fair characterization of Gungeon, the game has an incredible amount of personality.

There are a lot of references but there are also a lot of things that aren't references.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Mechanics like this beg the question: If you're clearing bosses without taking a single hit do you even need those health upgrades?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Well yeah that is the most obvious problem with it, isn't it? If I took damage I probably need that health upgrade real bad, and now I don't get it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Guy Mann posted:

You're complaining that an optional ridiculously hard and unforgiving difficulty level is too hard and unforgiving. I don't think Bethesda is at fault here.

Not having a save-and-quit option in a hardcore mode is immensely stupid, as are you. It has nothing at all to do with difficulty.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bethesda, the company that can't design games well, did not understand how difficulty works.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Shadowgate (2014) has a quicksave button which I used often, and a quickload button which I basically never used at all because for some reason, you can't use it once you trigger anything at all that causes you to die. So instead of dying to a thing, quickloading and trying something else when I see the message that I already know leads into me dying, I have to click through the next several messages describing how I die, wait for whatever animation of a goblin eating my face or whatever, then the screen turning red, then the game over screen coming up, then kicking me back to the main menu where I can choose to load my last save.

This reminded me of the most irritating thing I've run across in games lately: if you select "continue" from the title menu of Divinity: Original Sin, it loads the most recent quick- or auto-save. It will not load any manual saves, even if they're half an hour more recent than the autosaves.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's very tragic because its great personality makes you want to like it, and because you have to play it for quite awhile (getting to floor 4 or 5 a few times) to realize how bad its worst problems are. And like you said it's fundamentally not broken at all, which means if just a few easy-to-fix things were changed, it could be leaps and bounds better than it is. The fact that you can make it twice as fun with cheatengine--in other words, with a few simple number fixes and no feature implementation required--is evidence of this

Slime posted:

Mechanics like this beg the question: If you're clearing bosses without taking a single hit do you even need those health upgrades?

Actually yeah, because gungeon is really hard so you can definitely be in a place where you can beat gatling gull or meduzi without getting hit, but not the high priest or dragun. Which means if you ever make one tiny mistake and take a hit on ammoconda or whatever, you're weaker for the entire rest of the run. It's really demoralizing. The difference between beating the first 3 bosses without taking a hit and beating the first 3 bosses with a single hit taken on each of them is having twice as much health. When you're slogging through bullet hell, you bet having twice as much health is going to count.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Dawnguard is really loving stupid.

So there's some ancient vampire blah blahs, prophecy whatever blot out the sun. They need to be stopped I guess, unless you want to side with them in which case I think they still need to be stopped? Diverging story lines are hard. 3 quests into the expansion you go to Castle Vampire and meet vampire dad and his vampire friends. The slight problem is that at that stage there was no reason I couldn't just kill everyone there, loot the place and be done with it except that for no ingame reason you just cannot pull out your weapons or shout. You just can't. Why? The devs said you couldn't.

There could be some ancient vampire doodad that makes the super cool true-blue vamps super strong in their dumb castle so that if you tried to kill them you'd just get eviscerated or be hacking at them pointlessly or whatever and the game mechanics would tie into the story they're trying to tell. You could use your ancient powerful artefact to nullify theirs so you could actually fight them and have a reason other than 'we don't want harkon to have it' to risk your life and immortal soul to retrieve it. You know how else we can stop harkon from getting it? By storming the castle and killing him. The only reason you can't storm the castle and kill him is because there's a portcullis that's just inexplicably raised at the end of the expansion, when you storm the castle and kill him.

If you side with the Dawngaurd Isran even asks you why you didn't just kill all the vampires when they invited you in and maybe don't draw attention to the arbitrary restrictions you placed on the player because you couldn't spend 5 minutes thinking up an actual justification you stupid fucks.

In short;

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bethesda, the company that can't design games well,

e: Now I feel like i have to have missed some line of dialogue or something explaining why you can't just kill them all the first time but I looked at a couple of wikis and it doesn't mention anything and I can't remember there ever being an explanation. Surely, surely Bethesda has enough of an understanding of how the power curves in their own games work to know how monumentally idiotic it would be to put a player character of unknown level in striking distance of the final antagonists of an expansion and not expect people to think of the obvious solution. Right? :shepface:

Gitro has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Oct 6, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Dead Rising 2
beat the game, got the s ending, it's pretty good overall and i'm glad i followed asshat's advice here.

things i don't like:
-practically every psychopath has an unbreakable charge attack
-slappy was hard for me to gauge when to hit him. it's always sooner than i think
-zombrex prices from the market always go up after every purchase, even when you restart the story
-stagger and recovery animations take way too long during fights
-the super zombies (mostly just how their vomit attack can catch you even if you've rolled away)
-the dodge roll in this game :whitewater:

i know it being janky is part of the appeal of the series, but sometimes most of the time it can really get in the way

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Item progression is another real problem with how Gungeon plays out. If you're starting out with the game you're limited to a very small pool of items and will be unlikely to come across anything that can really carry you through a run. When I was starting out I could never get past floor three or so, but I have over 90 hours in the game now and having unlocked just about everything can generally get to the dragon most of the time. It's not that I've suddenly become good at bullet hell shooters, it just means that I might actually find something like Gunther now and use it to cruise through the rest of the run without any real troubles. Without the possibility of that happening, you'll generally die a bunch since the generic AK-47 you found isn't getting you very far and decide that the game is boring and too hard. Not even being able to get those boring guns because of key and ammo shortages just makes it worse.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Why does every Souls game bar Dark Souls 1 force you to go through two loading-screens just to level-up? It's such an obvious flaw I'm led to believe a higher-up has hard-on for leveling waifus.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
At first socializing in Stardew Valley is frustrating, a not insignificant amount of NPCs just love sitting in their room all day and it isn't until you get to 2 hearts can you finally have the privilege to talk to them outside of the 2 hour window they'll be outside. Get the gently caress off your computer Sebastian, stop writing novels Fabio, Emily and Haley, why the gently caress do you unlock your door for me then promptly sit in your bedrooms while I'm farting about in the living room? Take my salmonberry jelly dammit :argh:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Why does every Souls game bar Dark Souls 1 force you to go through two loading-screens just to level-up? It's such an obvious flaw I'm led to believe a higher-up has hard-on for leveling waifus.

GIT GUD

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's actually really bad. Roguelikes in general have a lot of randomness, but FTL doesn't give the player very much input into what happens. The random elements are way too large a part of the game, because there just isn't enough going on in terms of the options you have and decisions you're making.

If you mod out the fleet chasing you, FTL gives you a ton more room to breath and you can explore and find more weapons. You still have the chance of stuff happening like space spiders killing one of your crew, one of the super overpowered drone enemies popping up, or escaping a fight with heavy damage and jumping into an asteroid field, but at least you never get the "you never found any halfway decent weapons lol" situation which was by far the most frustrating for me. At least the others were kind of exciting.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

gohuskies posted:

If you mod out the fleet chasing you, FTL gives you a ton more room to breath and you can explore and find more weapons. You still have the chance of stuff happening like space spiders killing one of your crew, one of the super overpowered drone enemies popping up, or escaping a fight with heavy damage and jumping into an asteroid field, but at least you never get the "you never found any halfway decent weapons lol" situation which was by far the most frustrating for me. At least the others were kind of exciting.

I did this, then still managed to lose because there's a pretty big swing between stuff you need to beat random fights and stuff you need to beat the final boss, and you have no way of knowing that in advance. Though this was also before the big expansion update, so there was less to work with overall.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'm playing The Division, and it's a lot of fun, but being under leveled is insanely punishing. Being overleveled is insanely easy. You level up very quickly. Whole regions go from "oh Jesus, why" to a cakewalk very quickly, and you might never end up entering them when they're in the sweet spot.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Well yeah that is the most obvious problem with it, isn't it? If I took damage I probably need that health upgrade real bad, and now I don't get it.

Sounds like the Shadow of Mordor school of game design. It's understandably difficult for developers to design a system that rewards players for being good and vice versa, without it leading to a vicious cycle.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Gitro posted:

e: Now I feel like i have to have missed some line of dialogue or something explaining why you can't just kill them all the first time but I looked at a couple of wikis and it doesn't mention anything and I can't remember there ever being an explanation. Surely, surely Bethesda has enough of an understanding of how the power curves in their own games work to know how monumentally idiotic it would be to put a player character of unknown level in striking distance of the final antagonists of an expansion and not expect people to think of the obvious solution. Right? :shepface:

The explanation is that you need to get some poo poo to actually be able to kill him in the end which you spend the entire expansion doing. I mean honestly that's dumb too but I wouldn't mind so much but Bethesda does that a lot without explanation, hope you like killing thousand of unnamed bandits because the majority of named NPC are essential. That ruined my first Skyrim run for me, when I got the quest in that mountain city that made all the guards hostile and I figured gently caress you guys gonna tear this town a new one. Only every single citizen was immortal so I said gently caress you too game and quit.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Morglon posted:

The explanation is that you need to get some poo poo to actually be able to kill him in the end which you spend the entire expansion doing. I mean honestly that's dumb too but I wouldn't mind so much but Bethesda does that a lot without explanation, hope you like killing thousand of unnamed bandits because the majority of named NPC are essential. That ruined my first Skyrim run for me, when I got the quest in that mountain city that made all the guards hostile and I figured gently caress you guys gonna tear this town a new one. Only every single citizen was immortal so I said gently caress you too game and quit.

Harkon spent the entire fight with the bow in his inventory so I guess I missed the bit where it said I needed it to kill him :shrug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

gohuskies posted:

The problem with that is taking away the game's main pressure mechanic makes it much, much easier. It's like playing a Sim City with an infinite money cheat. It's fun to dick around and make your ideal city once or twice but with no semblance of challenge it gets old really quickly. I guess you still need a particular combo of gear to beat the last boss.

This was especially bad in launch Bloodborne with its minute long loadtimes.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Nah, I'm complaining that it's crappy and bad bruv, because both the games I mention have, 'Survival' difficulty but in STALKER it means that for instance, that you die in a few bullets but so does the enemy (enemies are still idiotic bulletsponges in FO4) whereas in F:NV it was more just "Hey, remember survival? You now have a reason to use it, also you can no longer faceslam stimpacks endlessly to progress".

It's mediocre, but I suppose that's why ~we have mods~

"Hey, we did this in Demon's Souls, let's do it in every game after this even though it's objectively poo poo."

At least they've let you warp at the bonfires in every game after DS1

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Gitro posted:

Dawnguard is really loving stupid.

So there's some ancient vampire blah blahs, prophecy whatever blot out the sun. They need to be stopped I guess, unless you want to side with them in which case I think they still need to be stopped? Diverging story lines are hard. 3 quests into the expansion you go to Castle Vampire and meet vampire dad and his vampire friends. The slight problem is that at that stage there was no reason I couldn't just kill everyone there, loot the place and be done with it except that for no ingame reason you just cannot pull out your weapons or shout. You just can't. Why? The devs said you couldn't.

Also Bethesda spent a lot of money developing Dawnguard and it's common practice to provide more than 4 hours of new content into an expansion. Also Serana have a nice booty y dont u look at it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Digging into GTA San Andreas, and while I appreciate that it's a decade-plus old game, and so has certain quirks, what's irritating to me is the mission checkpoints, or rather the lack thereof. It's really irritating to fail a mission only to be kicked back to the cinematic and having to drive all the way to your destination again. I suppose it gives you time to stock up on guns and ammo if you need them, but for the most part it's a waste.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

im pooping! posted:

Also Bethesda spent a lot of money developing Dawnguard and it's common practice to provide more than 4 hours of new content into an expansion. Also Serana have a nice booty y dont u look at it.

Really? I absolutely have not played any Bethesda expansion with more thanks 4 hours of content. In terms of not having a good enough reason to not to just kill the bad guy and be done with it, the Pitt in fallout 3 was worse. No matter how badly you outgunned the enemy the game won't progress until you surrender and get enslaved

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been playing the newer Attack on Titan game and one thing that's kind of annoying is that the story missions decide who you're playing as because some characters are much better than others.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

rodbeard posted:

Really? I absolutely have not played any Bethesda expansion with more thanks 4 hours of content.
huh? Even if we're just talking about Skyrim, Dragonborn is pretty huge. Morrowind and Oblivion had massive expansions. Can't speak for Fallout tho

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

im pooping! posted:

See if they allowed you to just kill 'em all that's not really less content, it's more. Also they let you kill the dark brotherhood outright as soon as you got the chance so why not let you kill all the vampires.

Serena is a pet character of some dev, no doubt.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Dawnguard is one of the worst examples for artificial content because it legitimately adds a lot to the game. I won't elaborate because if you want to cheat yourself out of the $5 or whatever Dawnguard costs now you are free to do that.

*e

also this:

im pooping! has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Deceitful Penguin posted:

At least they've let you warp at the bonfires in every game after DS1

Gonna assume you're trolling here.