Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

P.d0t posted:

Also, spells that roll shitloads of dice are loving stupid. They want the average damage to increase, but no one wants to actually suffer the result of max damage; this would've been a perfect place to implement Advantage more broadly, but I guess TRADITION wins out.

Or, you know, a damage modifier like...

Wait for it...

4e had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

Mr Beens posted:

If you want pre painted stuff your best bet is the d&d or pathfinder branded stuff, but these tend to be quite expensive now as most of the large back catalogue is out of print. You might get lucky on eBay with people selling off their old collection or at game stores selling bits.
Otherwise the cheapest option for actual fantasy minis would be reaper bones.

If you just want things to represent monsters but don't care about accuracy consider your local toy store - plastic soldiers, animals, dinosaurs, knights etc are really cheap. In any given encounter you could say "the 4 riflemen are orcs, the dogs are worgs and the horse is an ogre" and later on those same minis could be skeletons, zombies and a dracolich.

I actually enjoy painting and assembling, coming from a Warhammer Fantasy background.

It looks like Reaper Bones is a pretty decent option here.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Mecha Gojira posted:

Or, you know, a damage modifier like...

Wait for it...

4e had.

Not sayin' it can't be both :hfive:
Although 1d6+37 is also pretty asinine, if that's what you're angling at.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

P.d0t posted:

Not sayin' it can't be both :hfive:
Although 1d6+37 is also pretty asinine, if that's what you're angling at.

Nah, rolling a few dice can be fun.

Rolling 10+ dice is stupid as hell.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

P.d0t posted:

Bonus Actions are literally "4e Minor Action" but no trading-down (not that hard to understand) but people ITT like to sperg about the fact that Bonus Actions are not bonus Actions.

That's not "sperging" that's pointing out that "natural language" is full of poo poo because it makes things needlessly more confusing. When bonus Action and Bonus Action are different things, you've hosed up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Pg 41-44 of 3e book of vile darkness talks at length about drugs, I suppose alcohol could get lumped in there but I'll look at my 2e books too because I totally know this is in a splat somewhere. The complete book of roleplaying penalties or whatever

In 3e alcohol is considered a 'poison', actually.

So dwarves could take poison healer and treat each beer as a healing potion.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Tunicate posted:

Nice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tunicate posted:

The poison part is actually kind of true in 5e as well. Someone who is drunk is considered to be under the poisoned condition and Dwarves have resistance to poison and advantage on saving throws against poison because the drink so much.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Esser-Z posted:

D&D would be a much better game if it dropped the pretense of having "mundanes" and just made every class magic.

I've said much the same thing before, although I'd use the term "Supernatural" over "Magic" as there are slightly different implications from using those words

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games

gfanikf posted:

My biggest issue (and this is really for all RPG rule books) is that they never have a mathematical listing of moves and common permutations (like abridged rules)*. I mean they're all essentially math formulas, it would go a long way to making things easier for me. I totally get that they're complex and have variations, but man seeing the raw numbers helps sometimes. Hell, third parties could honestly do this...since pure math formulas, bereft of fluff or context are not copyrightable (yes I also understand no one wants to go through the process of proving it).

*That said I recall seeing 40K ones, but you had to email the dudes to get them as opposed to them being openly posted.

Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean stuff like: the rough amount of damage that a spell of X level is expected to do, the expected DPR and nova damage of each class at each level, the rough value of tripping someone versus disarming them?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sanglorian posted:

Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean stuff like: the rough amount of damage that a spell of X level is expected to do, the expected DPR and nova damage of each class at each level, the rough value of tripping someone versus disarming them?

Not exactly.

Well I mean more the rough write out for what dice you have to roll and what additional information is needed and where you get said info.

Sort of 1d20+X is damage check.

X= your _____ modifier.

You look here to get modifier, and use this modifier based on this.

I guess I wish it was more mechanically laid out so I could have a crib sheet and know what to roll and what to look for and how it should be.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gfanikf posted:

Not exactly.

Well I mean more the rough write out for what dice you have to roll and what additional information is needed and where you get said info.

Sort of 1d20+X is damage check.

X= your _____ modifier.

You look here to get modifier, and use this modifier based on this.

I guess I wish it was more mechanically laid out so I could have a crib sheet and know what to roll and what to look for and how it should be.
4E did that. People didn't like it. Clearly layed out rules apparently make the game boring to read, so now you get natural language rules again.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 5, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Splicer posted:

4E did that. People didn't like it. Clearly layed out rules apparently make the game boring to read, so now you get natural language rules again.

Can't they just do both! Hell I'd buy a drat supplement with it.

I'll have to dig out my copy of 4e for the life of me I can't remember it too much in terms of how things were written. I only played it a few times, mostly due to work schedules and such.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Here, have a pretty good looking 5E crib sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwCtO5aw9n2LbjFqSWRLWWh3ZGM/view

e: though it doesn't include the things like "Spells don't get ability damage", which may be what you're looking for.

e2: Here's another. Also leaves out damage rules. Why does no-one like damage rules.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 5, 2015

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Is that from an official product? Because some of those skill DCs are laughably bad. Apparently elementary school children can regularly make DC 25 Athletics checks on the monkey bars. The average person (you) only has a 30% chance of overhearing a conversation from one room over without any intervening obstacles. You only have a 55% chance of following the trail at your local park.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Where are the rules for drunkenness again? I'm trying to figure out if that thing htat worked in the playtest still works.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TheBlandName posted:

Is that from an official product? Because some of those skill DCs are laughably bad. Apparently elementary school children can regularly make DC 25 Athletics checks on the monkey bars. The average person (you) only has a 30% chance of overhearing a conversation from one room over without any intervening obstacles. You only have a 55% chance of following the trail at your local park.

As far as I can tell there are no official examples of what DCs should be, besides Very Easy = 5, Easy = 10, Moderate = 15, Hard = 20, Very Hard = 25, Nearly Impossible = 30

VVVV Interestingly enough, if you could engineer it, +5 ability mod and +12 skill expertise gives you a 40% chance of rolling a 30 or better to do something that's "nearly impossible". Essentially it's impossible on the scale of how rare it'd be to be in that situation.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 5, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TheBlandName posted:

Yeah, the DCs are really bad. The devs seem to have forgotten that skill points aren't a thing anymore, and that your skill modifiers aren't really ever going to get higher than +12ish, barring magic items.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Where are the rules for drunkenness again? I'm trying to figure out if that thing htat worked in the playtest still works.

You count as having the poisoned condition.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OK cool, where in the book can I read about it? It's not under the sections on poisons or on food/drink that I can see.

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

OK cool, where in the book can I read about it? It's not under the sections on poisons or on food/drink that I can see.

Ask your GM.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

PHB p.292

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

As far as I can tell there are no official examples of what DCs should be, besides Very Easy = 5, Easy = 10, Moderate = 15, Hard = 20, Very Hard = 25, Nearly Impossible = 30

VVVV Interestingly enough, if you could engineer it, +5 ability mod and +12 skill expertise gives you a 40% chance of rolling a 30 or better to do something that's "nearly impossible". Essentially it's impossible on the scale of how rare it'd be to be in that situation.

Don't forget Guidance! And Bardic Inspiration! magic does everything :smugwizard:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

P.d0t posted:

PHB p.292

Thanks, but that's the poisoned conditon which I already managed to find. I want to know where it tells me about being drunk and what that means.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

Thanks, but that's the poisoned conditon which I already managed to find. I want to know where it tells me about being drunk and what that means.

goto: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3647634&perpage=40&pagenumber=492#post448564791
:confused:

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

I think he means where it specifically states that drunk is a poisoned condition.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Mecha Gojira posted:

I think he means where it specifically states that drunk is a poisoned condition.

I think he means that that forum post is the only place that specifically states that drunk is a poison condition

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

TheBlandName posted:

Dude you have no idea. The DCs they gave us for the playtest were even worse. It was harder to pick a lock than swim in a turbulent ocean. Swimming in a turbulent ocean is Beowulf level heroics, a human being will without any qualifiers, drown in minutes.

-edit-
it was this:
0 Notice something large in plain sight
5 Climb a knotted rope
10 Hear an approaching guard.
15 Rig a wagon wheel to fall off.
20 Swim in stormy water.
25 Open an average lock.
30 Leap across a 30-foot chasm.

I could make some clever post about why that is ludicrous, but I will leave that to the reader.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 5, 2015

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
"I tried to pick a lock with my mouse for ten minutes and it was really drat hard, so I gave it a high DC."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"Yeah let's put the knotted rope low because we could all do that when we were kids and none of us fell off and were made fun of by everyone heheheh :smith:"

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

How hard is it to rig a wagon wheel to fall off. I have zero frame of reference for this.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kingcom posted:

How hard is it to rig a wagon wheel to fall off. I have zero frame of reference for this.

I'm guessing the hard part is keeping the wheel from falling off immediately.

Now, if you were to cast Prestidigitation or a Grease spell...

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It's just a matter of loosening the axle collar.

It's a DC 300 arcana check.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It should come as no surprise to anyone by now that those skill check DCs are straight out of the 3.5e PHB. It even shows up in the d20srd, and they didn't change numbers any, so the Jump check is still DC 30 across both editions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It should come as no surprise to anyone by now that those skill check DCs are straight out of the 3.5e PHB. It even shows up in the d20srd, and they didn't change numbers any, so the Jump check is still DC 30 across both editions.

Considering that, as we've gone over it, their Insanity table is an actual copy paste of the tables *and insanity descriptions* from Call of Cthulhu, I shouldn't be surprised the lazy bastards didn't remath any skill check DCs to match the new Proficiency system.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Considering that, as we've gone over it, their Insanity table is an actual copy paste of the tables *and insanity descriptions* from Call of Cthulhu, I shouldn't be surprised the lazy bastards didn't remath any skill check DCs to match the new Proficiency system.

I'm pretty certain they didn't. It's one of the most offensive things about the system.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think I know what my next F&F project is going to be.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Like...the laziness of 5e is just staggering. Whatever other problems it has, it's disgusting how little actual effort or work was put into it. It's like reading someone's heartbreaker.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

gradenko_2000 posted:

Very yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh, I'm looking forward to this.