Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

rizuhbull posted:

Should I look for my first car on craigslist or at a dealer? Don't know the first thing about cars.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
E: missed the last post.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 6, 2014

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/4781471940.html

Wish I had time / space for something like this. How many of these can there be left in this kind of shape?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Another sleeper Cavalier!
http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/4782796697.html

quote:

1999 Cavalier Z24I built this car as a college project and made 500whp with a gt35r @21 on 93octaneI just refreshed the engine and went with a t04e the head was ported by me and flows 300cfm at max cam lift

Pros:
Unique
Fully built
Sleeper
Turbo
Fun
31mpg highway
Runs & drives
Tuned for 22psi

Cons: oil return at pan leaks
Could use a new hood
Some rust forming at quarts
Need a new windshield
Need a clutch upgrade to hold 11psi+ clamping force has faded

the car is tuned on the 00+ reflash with hptuner2.4l ld9 (quad4)Bored .020 overMls cometic headgasket .090
Wiseco 9:1 pistonsEagle h-beams rods
Clevite 77 bearings
W41 intake manifold
Lucas 42lb injectors
Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure reg.T04e turbo trim 57
Stainless steel manifold
Turbonetic raptor bov
Ngk tr6

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sorry dude you picked the wrong car to turbo and expect any kind of return back. It's still a Cavalier.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Made 500hp!

*posts a dyno of 350hp*

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Crustashio posted:

Made 500hp!

*posts a dyno of 350hp*

parasitic losses, bruh, it's fahv hunnert at the crank.

alternatively, dynoed at 350whp before i added the 150 shot of nos, bruh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Dunno why he's looking for 'anything RWD', since the Starlet is already RWD. And better than an AE86. If you don't buy that I may have to see if I can scrape together enough cash to get him to consider a straight sale.

You can't deliver tofu in a Starlet.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

He dynoed 500 on a GT35R, then spent more money on it and made it slower with the T04E. Probably because the 35 was a Chinacharger and exploded or something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But it's a SLEEPER.

Not because it's a turbo'd Cavalier, but because nobody (besides this guy) would be dumb enough to actually do it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

You can't deliver tofu in a Starlet.

I dunno, I think you could get the tofu up the mountain pretty good in one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phDpSN4t7S4

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Isn't the point of hill climbing getting up the hill in the least amount of time?

Looks like he's wasting a ton of time drifting through every turn.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I fail to see anything involving tofu in that video.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

I dunno, I think you could get the tofu up the mountain pretty good in one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phDpSN4t7S4

Yup, that owns

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I fail to see anything involving tofu in that video.

What about us folks that hate tofu?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What about us folks that hate tofu?

Buy an Evo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DJ Commie posted:

At 2/3 that price I'd buy it for my brother 85 pickup.

But that diesel motor :v:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

BlackMK4 posted:

But that diesel motor :v:

Which is what I was saying. His truck is quite a bit beyond a 90s 4Runner in spec. I'll have to dig up some pictures.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
First car advice, looks like carmax sells 2006 buick lucernes for 11k with 40k miles on them. This is the best first car ever if you can afford that much, if not 1500 miata. This is 3 holer though, the northstar one would be better but not by much.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Elephanthead posted:

First car advice, looks like carmax sells 2006 buick lucernes for 11k with 40k miles on them. This is the best first car ever if you can afford that much, if not 1500 miata. This is 3 holer though, the northstar one would be better but not by much.

What are you talking about?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ctd/4770606710.html

That is a better first car.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Terrible choice. You cannot wrench on that yourself. Too many electronics. You would be much better off with a Countach as a starter car.
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/4679361370.html

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Tai-Pan posted:

Terrible choice. You cannot wrench on that yourself. Too many electronics. You would be much better off with a Countach as a starter car.
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/4679361370.html

Any man with half a brain wouldn't be seen in a Lamborghini kit-car.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Wally Joyner posted:

Any man with half a brain wouldn't be seen in a Lamborghini kit-car.

I love the concept of "professionally lengthened" as if there were full time Fiero choppers, not just some goober with a tig welder in a disreputable shop.

Also, what the hell is Clarkson driving in the last picture?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Is there a market for these to justify $170000? Diablos were pretty hideous looking when new, like most early 90's designs, and 20 years has not helped. 500 horses is pedestrian in 2014. I could almost get a 458 for that price. Look at picture 16, pieces of interior trim are bubbling.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Gorson posted:

Is there a market for these to justify $170000? Diablos were pretty hideous looking when new, like most early 90's designs, and 20 years has not helped. 500 horses is pedestrian in 2014. I could almost get a 458 for that price. Look at picture 16, pieces of interior trim are bubbling.

I have no idea about the market, but seriously, like 40K tops for that car. Can you even get parts for them anymore?

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Gorson posted:

Is there a market for these to justify $170000?

skipdogg posted:

I have no idea about the market

Cheapest Diablo of any type on sale here is £120k. Get on it if you see one for $40k!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I never bought an E30 when I was younger because I didn't know how to drive stick and knew I didn't want the AT. I wish I had just bought one and learned; there are no reasonably priced ones anymore, and some patently absurd ones.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4794732904.html

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Jesus loving christ.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4789205909.html

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Significantly cheaper so far than the GTA5 promo 'Banshee' Miata, though a hell of a lot less practical.
Also I don't think it actually does this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUHD-Nknm8

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

I concur. That would be a fun way to kill yourself. I can only imagine the pull that thing must have on 20 psi, jesus.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

driguy posted:

I concur. That would be a fun way to kill yourself. I can only imagine the pull that thing must have on 20 psi, jesus.
Higher PSI =/= better. It's a lovely t25 that spins at 15-16psi in stock form, making ~160whp in an Eclipse. At 20 psi is pretty much out of it's optimal range. That car is a massive turd. "the car has no rust whatsoever", except rust is clearly visible in 2 pictures. Intercooler piping is made from prefabbed steel exhaust bends from your local auto store, painted red of course. No mention of fuel management of any kind, but it sure does have aftermarket rods, attached to what, stock pistons? Meth is one hell of a drug

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

Nitrox posted:

Higher PSI =/= better. It's a lovely t25 that spins at 15-16psi in stock form, making ~160whp in an Eclipse. At 20 psi is pretty much out of it's optimal range. That car is a massive turd. "the car has no rust whatsoever", except rust is clearly visible in 2 pictures. Intercooler piping is made from prefabbed steel exhaust bends from your local auto store, painted red of course. No mention of fuel management of any kind, but it sure does have aftermarket rods, attached to what, stock pistons? Meth is one hell of a drug

And this is why I don't own a turbo'd car, all of this is poo poo that went over my head when I read the ad. Chances are still good that you'd kill yourself in this car but it'll be because of it blowing up ;)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Is that a plastic fuel cell? Looks like he got it from Home Depot.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nitrox posted:

Could be a 14b, don't people run them up to 20psi?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

leica posted:

Is that a plastic fuel cell? Looks like he got it from Home Depot.

It is in fact a plastic portable fuel tank for your boat judging from the attwood logo on it! Available at wal-marts everywhere!

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 9, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The CRX is so light that if it actually had the claimed WHP, it couldn't possibly hook it up. It'd be undriveable.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It's almost good. And then you look closely and are horrified.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Gorson posted:

Well, I love them and I think they look fantastic.
And, really, what does a 0-60 time have to do with anything? A Ferrari 250 GTO is $38million dollar car and it would get walked by an Accord on the track.

But, to answer your question $170,000 is high, but not crazy. I suspect you could get it for ~$110,000. Remember, these are pretty rare car compared to the 458. They will make many more 458s this year than in the entire run of the Diablo in any form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

BlackMK4 posted:

Could be a 14b, don't people run them up to 20psi?

While the 14B is a pretty good little turbo, you are not going to get 440WHP out of it, and 5 psi is way out of any efficiency range for it.