Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Isn't a diesel Santa Fe the best part of $65k these days? Then again I guess the base petrol only 6k cheaper

Anyway its still my opinion diesel makes sense in an SUV (even a mid sized one) but not in an i30 or Golf where it won't save any money, just ruin all your enjoyment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The TDI with the 6 speed manual is a blast to hoon around in. 6th also puts you right in the torque band for highway driving. The main reason I got rid of mine is that most of my trips are very short city trips which isn't what that engine is good for. If I were commuting 30 miles I'd still have it.

It was a VW that's for sure though; the radio just up and died one day and the 120v power outlet started blowing fuses at 20k miles despite having been used perhaps twice. Also bluetooth was janky but it seems that's a pretty common thing with cars and bluetooth.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

The TDI with the 6 speed manual is a blast to hoon around in. 6th also puts you right in the torque band for highway driving. The main reason I got rid of mine is that most of my trips are very short city trips which isn't what that engine is good for. If I were commuting 30 miles I'd still have it.

It was a VW that's for sure though; the radio just up and died one day and the 120v power outlet started blowing fuses at 20k miles despite having been used perhaps twice. Also bluetooth was janky but it seems that's a pretty common thing with cars and bluetooth.

My dad bought the 2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup Edition with the 6 speed manual. That things flies. If I had some money to lay down on one, I would

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Yep, when I chose a Prius for the daily driver it was a neck and neck tie with a TDI. I eventually went dull hybrid because I don't need a highway to get to work and didn't feel like gunking it up by forcing it to live under 40 mph.

Still kind of regret it because the test drive was good fun, but on the other hand I'm probably better off because LOL VAG.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

dissss posted:

The last 1.6 TDI Golf I drove would stall immediately if you let the clutch out fairly quickly with no throttle - while they have a whack of torque once they hit boost there is absolutely nothing off-idle

Jesus, this.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Owning a diesel and having it operating correctly now constitutes a horrible mechanical failure of your life.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

dissss posted:

The last 1.6 TDI Golf I drove would stall immediately if you let the clutch out fairly quickly with no throttle - while they have a whack of torque once they hit boost there is absolutely nothing off-idle

Just out of curiosity - how many other manual transmission vehicles have you driven where you can dump the clutch without any throttle and not have it stall?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Geoj posted:

Just out of curiosity - how many other manual transmission vehicles have you driven where you can dump the clutch without any throttle and not have it stall?

Dump, zero.

I could get my 2006 GTO moving with no throttle in an astonishingly short time, though. Torque EVERYWHERE.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Geoj posted:

Jeep TJ with the 4.0. If you were on loose soil you could just dump the clutch and it would not stall. If you were in 1st-L I'm not entirely positive that you could stall it even if you tried.

The TDI is special when starting out in 1st or reverse. If you so much as momentarily touch 700rpm or so then engine will just die completely. With other cars you have a chance to push the clutch back in and save it but not so with the TDI. Everyone who ever drove mine stalled it at least once, including mechanics just moving it into the bay.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Everyday Lurker posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Post Pictures of Horrible 3800 Failures - Fords Not Welcome

The old man's Monte Carlo after some dipshit on a cell phone rammed him.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I could get my beetle moving without throttle if I was slow enough letting the clutch out.

Light car, comical gear ratio, that's all it takes. :colbert:

Could even start it in second gear if I needed to, which was great on ice.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i could get my old dodge moving in 4th without throttle.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

i could get my old dodge moving in 4th without throttle.

I see you owned an automatic.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

His vanes are stuck on his variable vane turbo. Get it into the shop.
Or fill the hotside of the turbo with foaming oven cleaner then take it out for an Italian tuneup.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

I see you owned an automatic.

No, it was by choice, not necessity.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

A guy I know claimed he'd gotten his Volvo v70 (diesel) up to highway speed by careful clutching and shifting without ever touching the throttle. Not entirely sure why - or what speed 5th at idle rpm works out to in it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Computer viking posted:

A guy I know claimed he'd gotten his Volvo v70 (diesel) up to highway speed by careful clutching and shifting without ever touching the throttle. Not entirely sure why - or what speed 5th at idle rpm works out to in it.
Not "highway speed".

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Maybe down a long hill?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Shifty Pony posted:

Jeep TJ with the 4.0. If you were on loose soil you could just dump the clutch and it would not stall. If you were in 1st-L I'm not entirely positive that you could stall it even if you tried.

The TDI is special when starting out in 1st or reverse. If you so much as momentarily touch 700rpm or so then engine will just die completely. With other cars you have a chance to push the clutch back in and save it but not so with the TDI. Everyone who ever drove mine stalled it at least once, including mechanics just moving it into the bay.

I had an 01 Cherokee Sport that would crawl uphill in 2wd without touching the gas pedal (almost flat, really, not something crazy like a 20 degree incline, but still uphill).

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Tangent from the current discussion: my cousin's fist car was a '90s Bronco with a 4-speed stick. One time his mom's car was broken and she borrowed his; when she gave it back, she complained that it was a bit slow off the line in the low gears. Turns out she didn't realize it was a 4-speed and never put it in first, having learned to drive stick on Grandpa's '70s three-on-the-tree F100, and half the time she was taking off in what she thought was second. My aunt's kind of a badass, apparently.

As opposed to her sister/my mom, who took her first husband's '67 Mustang fastback to the dragstrip once, and trashed the clutch in one pass. She did win, though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My 11 the torque comes on right around 1500, there's still some weird blip at 2000 rpms and partial throttle, which is apparently just a mapping issue that all TDI seem to have. Only reason I'm getting rid of mine is that I don't put nearly enough miles a year on it, and I really want a AWD and 300 hp hatch :)

I have gotten roughly 41 mpg tank average in the 37k miles I've had the car. My commute is about 50% highway 50% morons going 10mph which the car idles perfectly at in first gear.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

InitialDave posted:

Not "highway speed".

FNorwegianVO highway, so 80km/h (50mph) would qualify - but let's see. Please do check my math...

I'll use one of the smaller recommended tires on it - like the 215/55R16. Plugged into a handy calculator, that works out to a 79.5 inch ( ~202cm) circumference.
Warm idle is supposed to be something like 750rpm in it. I can't be bothered to guess exactly which transmission was in it, so let's say it will at least do 1:1 .

750 r/min * 2m/r = 1500 m/min , or (1.5 * 60) = 90 km/h (56 mph) .

Leaving aside the part where it has to idle up to that speed, ofc.

edit: I forgot the diff ratio (or whatever it is in a FWD car), didn't I?

edit2:
Random numbers time ahoy. The Volvo M56 5-speed has a 5th gear ratio of 0.70:1, and some random car with it has a final drive of 4:1, giving us a 90/(0.70*4)=32 km/h ... which gives 96 km/h at 2250 rpm; I guess that's plausible. My understanding of gearing and drivetrains is still fairly "here be dragons", so I'm mostly hoping to provoke someone who knows better into giving a more correct answer. :D
(If the above is right he must have had a massive hill.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 13, 2015

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The new 5cyl 3.2TD motor in the Aus spec ford Rangers has anti stall in it, so if you do lift your foot off the clutch the ecu will just add more fuel to keep revs back up at idle while you move off. It's a bit creepy at first and not bad on a hill unless your trying to do a stall recovery on a hill and then the stupid car will do its damnedest to prevent you stalling it out!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I can start my truck moving in any gear, and I'm pretty sure I could dump the clutch in (granny) first and not stall it. Can't say that I've tried though. I'd expect to be able to let off it pretty aggressively even in second without it stalling. Torque!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
My TJ has a very flexible suspension now, and my foot once slipped off the clutch pedal (wet, flat soled boots) with no gas. It didn't stall, nearly but not quite, it torqued the drivetrain and suspension up combined with lurching forward. It must have looked like I had lovely hydraulics trying to three-wheel for a second. I think the IAC valve adjusts after a bit, as it started trundling down the road before I regained composure and pushed in the pedal. That's with 3.07:1 gears in the differentials and 33" tires.

I tend to stall other people's cars, as I'm used to a wider friction zone and a gruntier engine, until I adjust.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I worked at a freightliner dealership for a few summers, and was moving the trucks around on the one time. I pulled one into place, set the brake, and accidentally took my foot off the clutch with it in gear. Brakes held the truck in place and the front drive axle just started turning on the gravel.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Geoj posted:

This isn't dumping the clutch, it is slowly letting it out in a fashion that wouldn't stall any of my petrol cars.

As for your question just one - the slow as balls non turbo 98 Transit I spent far too much time driving back in my youth (the turbo model it eventually got replaced with was far easier to stall inadvertantly)

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

My uncle taught me to drive stick in an early 80's VW Vanagon, and while I did kill it a couple times it was extremely hard to do. Perfect for teaching manual. It also felt like it topped out at like 7 mph in first.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

I worked at a freightliner dealership for a few summers, and was moving the trucks around on the one time. I pulled one into place, set the brake, and accidentally took my foot off the clutch with it in gear. Brakes held the truck in place and the front drive axle just started turning on the gravel.

I think that's technically classed as a burnout.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

LloydDobler posted:

My uncle taught me to drive stick in an early 80's VW Vanagon, and while I did kill it a couple times it was extremely hard to do. Perfect for teaching manual. It also felt like it topped out at like 7 mph in first.

Old VW vans had reduction boxes, so it probably did top out pretty low. It's still hilarious to see someone in a van with sufficient power do a burn out if they haven't swapped the transmission and got rid of the reduction boxes.

Most cars squat when torque is applied, busses lift, it's loving hilarious.

Really wish I could find a video of it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I saw the preview and thought it was a recycled car from a crusher. :aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7dG9UlzeFM

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Crotch Fruit posted:

That video is a shining example of awful editing absolutely ruining the content. Right as the car is about to hit the wall there's so many quick cuts to the video that you don't really get a good view of the very subject they were trying to film. gently caress modern video editing trends.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

revmoo posted:

That video is a shining example of awful editing absolutely ruining the content. Right as the car is about to hit the wall there's so many quick cuts to the video that you don't really get a good view of the very subject they were trying to film. gently caress modern video editing trends.

Our attention spans are oh look at that shiny bit there!

Apparently.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I remember taking flack for my owning a 2004 Saturn Ion but honestly the only issues I've had with it were either related to the recall or were related to my getting into auto accidents which destroyed the plastic bumpers/mirrors/etc. Are there any cheap, reliable auto brands anymore?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

What bothers me more is the 3 and a half minutes of useless buildup. And just as they launch the car... commercial break! (well, they usually do.)

I'm so glad I don't watch TV anymore. Netflix and Amazon have me covered. The only time I ever watch a commercial is during the super bowl.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I remember taking flack for my owning a 2004 Saturn Ion but honestly the only issues I've had with it were either related to the recall or were related to my getting into auto accidents which destroyed the plastic bumpers/mirrors/etc. Are there any cheap, reliable auto brands anymore?

Short answer: no.

Slightly longer answer: yes, but with caveats that you wouldn't have on a 90's car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The real problem is ABS, stability control, 39 airbags, rear view cameras and butt massagers are all federally mandated now, so to reach the same price point as before, all other areas have to suffer the cost cutting.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

RandomPauI posted:

Do you get Skoda in the US? The interiors are cheap plastic crap, but the underlying cars are generally pretty good. I've driven the same Fabia for 12 years now, and the only real problems are the insides of the doors rusting away to nothing (because the seals are worthless).

e: huh, looks like not. That's odd.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

At 5:20 there is a really clear view of the fuel tank rupturing and fuel going everywhere. I'm surprised there wasn't a fireball, I guess cars these days are made up of more inert materials then in the past to prevent an ignition source for the fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Probably filled with water or somesuch for the "test".