Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Crimson Harvest posted:

I still want to blame your codecs. But I'd uninstall K-Lite and try CCCP.

Otherwise, perhaps a different d3d9 audio dll might do the trick?

That did it! Thankyou, Internet Communists!

I knew it was a codecs issue, someone on NMA I believe described the problem as Bethesda using codecs for the music that wound up not being properly supported later on, but I didn't reallyknow how to solve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm having issues with my music working as well. Tried CCCP and it's still the same.

I've been trying to get it to work for a few days now. I've basically just given up on getting the radio again.

Edit: Through TTW I'm being reminded how unfun FO3 gets. After level 23 or so most ghouls become reavers, super mutants are mostly masters and overlords, and every single radscorpion becomes an albino radscorpion. Not to mention Deathclaws showing up everywhere.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 5, 2014

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Grey Elephants posted:

I'm getting CTDs, can't figure out why :( I'm new to Fallout modding, is there anything that conflicts/is in the wrong order/otherwise the result of me being a dumbass?

code:
GameMode=FalloutNV

FalloutNV.esm=1
OldWorldBlues.esm=1
Weapon Mod Expansion.esm=1
NVInteriors_Core.esm=1
Military Explansion Program.esm=1
D.E.I.M.O.S..esm=1
WME - Old World Blues.esm=1
NVInteriors_ComboEdition.esm=1
The New Bison Steve Hotel.esm=1
Tales from the Burning Sands.esm=1
RobCo Certified.esm=1
Companion Core.esm=1
STRobot-Core.esm=1
ExtendedNVRadio.esp=1
NewVegasBounties.esp=1
NewVegasBountiesII.esp=1
MBOWBExtended20.esp=1
MBOWBExtended40.esp=1
MBOWBExtended60.esp=1
MBOWBExtended80.esp=1
MBOWBExtended100.esp=1
SimpleStreetLights.esp=1
SimpleStreetLights (Extra Lights).esp=1
drgNV - Marcus Companion.esp=1
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp=1
SecretStash20.esp=1
SecretStash40.esp=1
SecretStash60.esp=1
SecretStash80.esp=1
Unified Backpack Mod.esp=1
Roleplay Start 1.2.esp=1
Lucky 38 Suite Expansion.esp=1
EMR-StealthSuitMkII.esp=1
WME - Old World Blues.esp=1
The Low Profile Armor Mod.esp=1
The Low Profile Armor Mod (JSawyer).esp=1
TFH Rugged Race.esp=1
Color Me Evil.esp=1
Color Me Evil - Cass.esp=1
Expanded Traits.esp=1
NV_STTraitsandPerks - NVSE.esp=1
UniversalPerkRequirements.esp=1
Fellout.esp=1
Fellout-OWB.esp=1
UHNV.esp=1
UHNV-OWB.esp=1
UHNV-Bobblehunt.esp=1
UHNV-Brighter Lighting.esp=1
UHNV-Chems.esp=1
UHNV-More Mannequins.esp=1
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp=1
Existence2.0.esp=1
SignatureArmor.esp=1
SignatureWeapons.esp=1
RobCo Certified Friendly Hit Fixer.esp=1
STRobot-ChemImmunity.esp=1
OWB Valence Mask.esp=1
OWB Moddable FIDO.esp=1
OWB More Vendor Caps.esp=1
OWB Stealth Field Suit.esp=1
OWB Companion Teleport.esp=1

Late to the party and all but you should run FNVEdit. In addition to what the others said, UHNV-Chems and UHNV-Bobblehunt are only needed if you have Chems and Bobblehunt installed and since you don't have them the game can't find the masters when it's loading the esps and just crashes. There might be more so just BOSS that poo poo and run the whole thing thru FNVEdit.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
I've just finished my first, mostly-vanilla playthrough, so I'm ready to start adding a lot more mods. I'd rather not start over, though, so are there any good quest/dungeon mods that can still pose a challenge to a level 50 character without any overhauls? I'm thinking that A World of Pain would be good, but some other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also, is the Monster Mod still as badly implemented as the OP suggests?

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
This probably sounds as dumb as heck- but could someone please have a quick look at my load order? I've been trying to fix this game after someone else entirely decided to mod it, and rendered it a crashy mess. :sigh:

I was deemed the most likely to fix it because "you modded oblivion, right?!". Uuuugh.

http://imgur.com/EXWLUau

I -think- That looks alright? I used BOSS, but it didn't recognize a few of the mods.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

My loading screens have "PipOS Error 26 - File Not Found" written on them in white, distorted letters below the normal, yellow gameplay tips. Google tells me that this is a pipboy problem, but nothing appears out of order and in-game all the various textures look like they've loaded fine.

I'm using Shiloh DS Clean Pipboy Screen and Archive Invalidation from within FOMM. Does the latter have a better alternative?

What's the best way to troubleshoot this? Does Fallout have an error log somewhere that says what failed to load?

Edit:

It was a missing texture. It turns out that I had deleted empty.dds from the Textures\MTUI folder when experimenting with MTUI's dialog background. Copying the file back made the error disappear.

natlampe fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 6, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
In case steam is being bad at its job, try deleting/removing the audio files and then verify your game files. This should cause steam to redownload them.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

Praetorian Mage posted:

I've just finished my first, mostly-vanilla playthrough, so I'm ready to start adding a lot more mods. I'd rather not start over, though, so are there any good quest/dungeon mods that can still pose a challenge to a level 50 character without any overhauls? I'm thinking that A World of Pain would be good, but some other suggestions would be much appreciated.

This is pretty much the situation i'm in.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Praetorian Mage posted:

The New Vegas Bounties series will pose as much challenge as can be expected to a character in fantastic gear and infinite life because you have 200 Stimpacks. The first one will be much easier than the second though. After that you can look into The Inheritance made by the same guy. These mods aren't Obsidian-level content or anything but they're good for what they are. If you want all three mods to kind of 'know' about each other (I'd recommend it,) download the Someguy master file from the Nexus as well. As an aside, I don't think the person who made these mods is ever going to do another one after he had a breakdown from something or other dealing with modding.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cavauro posted:

The New Vegas Bounties series will pose as much challenge as can be expected to a character in fantastic gear and infinite life because you have 200 Stimpacks. The first one will be much easier than the second though. After that you can look into The Inheritance made by the same guy. These mods aren't Obsidian-level content or anything but they're good for what they are. If you want all three mods to kind of 'know' about each other (I'd recommend it,) download the Someguy master file from the Nexus as well. As an aside, I don't think the person who made these mods is ever going to do another one after he had a breakdown from something or other dealing with modding.

Not so much breakdown but just tired of modding with the lovely gamebyro engine. He mentioned that he might start making Skyrim mods.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

I figured my crappy load order out on my own! :woop: That means I can officially stop being irritating and actually ask good questions.

The Portable Tent: Is it worth it? I was looking for more housing.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 7, 2014

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Freakbox posted:

The Portable Tent: Is it worth it? I was looking for more housing.

Yes! It's not the greatest house mod (we'll have to wait for the ultimate version of Lombard Station for that), but it's convenient enough to be useful. It basically makes inventory management a non-issue, since you can plop your tent down anywhere and drop off any extraneous items.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

Can you leave the tent somewhere like a semi permanent base? That sounds so useful.

I'm enjoying learning to mod this, thus far. I put in a few houses, weather mods, monster stuff, and a motherfucking radio station with more than ten songs. :argh:

I've got spurs, that jingle jangle gently caress you :catstare:

I got the NVSE and 4GB thing to work together, too, so hopefully the game should take advantage of the stupid amount of RAM I have, right? (I've got 16 gb- i think it can handle fallout nv.)

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 7, 2014

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Praetorian Mage posted:

New Vegas Bounties I + II. Haven't played The Inheritance yet.

AWOP, well, that one gets a lot of hate and I can see why people dislike it. By the time you're done with the first AWOP location you are likely in the possession of excellent gear, a shitload of caps and more ammo then you'll ever need. There are, however, patches for it that adress some of the issues people have with it.

Balance and clean up, get the second file, rebalances the overpowered M weapons:
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53616/

Patches for low loot and less NPCs, in case your machine starts to choke.
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/40950/

AWOP also has a MCM menu to allow tweaking, so if you install the patches and activate some of the options in the MCM it's a fun addition.

Monster Mod had a couple of issues and re-releases but the current version, as far as I can tell, is far from being the clusterfuck it used to be. It's still not the perfect recommendation if you like to sperg about lore. There is a MM Wasteland edition but I haven't tried that yet and seeing as it requires an earlier version of MM it's probably just stripped off the problematic material.

Here's the re-release. Get the Harderman optionals for MCM integration.
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/41361/

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Freakbox posted:

I'm enjoying learning to mod this, thus far. I put in a few houses, weather mods, monster stuff, and a motherfucking radio station with more than ten songs. :argh:

I've got spurs, that jingle jangle gently caress you :catstare:
Having the bigger playlist is great (and I highly recommend Mojave Music Radio Extended and OWB Extended from the OP if you don't have them yet), but after a while you might find yourself missing hearing some of those originals if the shuffle doesn't come across them very often.

Not Johnny Guitar, though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Secret Stash is great because it has Dean Martin's version of Volare, which is like an orgasm for your ears.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Roobanguy posted:

Not so much breakdown but just tired of modding with the lovely gamebyro engine. He mentioned that he might start making Skyrim mods.

Well that's a lot cooler than what I thought. I must've misinterpreted the "gently caress this" as having to do with something irrational. I'm sure that using the New Vegas engine for complex mods is the sort of poo poo that'll make you go bald.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cavauro posted:

Well that's a lot cooler than what I thought. I must've misinterpreted the "gently caress this" as having to do with something irrational. I'm sure that using the New Vegas engine for complex mods is the sort of poo poo that'll make you go bald.

Yep. Here's the quote.

Someguy2000 posted:

All,

I need to come clean with everyone.

A few months ago, I ceased working on this mod due to both professional and personal demands. Since then, I've been out of sight and out of mind in regards to both the community and team members. Considering the amount of promotion I poured into this project, that's unfair to you all. I apologize for misleading everyone, particularly my teammates.

Abruptly disappearing and then recrudescing is nothing new for me - it's actually a staple insofar as modding is concerned. As I've said before, I'm a mercurial maniac who operates in creative sprints, with sporadic fits of isolation to collect my wits. It can lead to interesting creations born from rapid development cycles (New Vegas Bounties, The Inheritance), but also unfinished fiascos (Bloodlines: The Order - a few of you might remember it). For a few days, I've been lurking at the Nexus, surveying recent work, and I'm displeased with it, to say the least. My well-intended but haphazard updates to NVB may end up doing more harm than good, and Russell remains a clusterfuck for some users.

Truth is, I have zero desire to deal with this engine anymore. With the run-up to Fallout 4 (likely out late next year), I might have an epiphany/moment of clarity and clean up some of the wrecks I've left, perhaps over the summer. I just don't know.

Releasing substandard, buggy betas while promoting mods that will never see the light of day (Sinners and Slaves) is just lovely, no way around it. I know, I know - promoting incomplete or proposed content is pretty much a mainstay of the modding community, but I feel I took it further, with interviews, developer diaries (such f***ing bulls*** in retrospect), and glib posts on mere ideas, not substance. I can do better than that.

As strange as it may sound, I sometimes hate NVBI. A hasty, three-week production culminated in a small mod that continues to eclipse all my other releases. The design was linear, the dialogue sometimes clumsy, the references obvious, and the voice acting... abysmal (Randall notwithstanding). In focusing on these flaws, I suppose I lost sight of its strengths: stability, simplicity, and a tight, easily digestible narrative. The timing of its release was also a key factor. I only bring this up because recent introspection has spurred me to re-evaluate how I mod from here on out.

Here's what I'll say about future work:
- No more diaries, interviews, or teasers.
- Finished releases only. No alphas, betas, or "It's all done except voice acting"
- I won't work on a mod that I can't get to beta in under three months. Every mod I've worked on beyond that scope has failed.
- I'll work alone (excepting voice actors or occasional art work). This is not a dig at teammates - far from it. I feel that my changeable, hyper-introverted personality undermines communication and cooperation. If you're talented, get with a team where you can flourish. Working with me is more often than not a dead end.

I've been going over some of the probable questions relating to this mod, as well as other projects, so here is an attempt at FAQ's:
Q: So, is The Siege of Firebase Zulu dead?
A: Yes, at least for the foreseeable future.

Q: Are you really finished modding for Fallout: New Vegas?
A: Yes.

Q: What about New Vegas Bounties III?
A: The characters and narrative from NVBIII will be adapated for FO4, or possibly FO:NV 2 (if it gets made). Depending on the time period (all signs point to 2299 now). If not, I'll conclude it in other means (holotapes, notes, etc.) in later mods. All my Fallout mods will remain interconnected on some level.

Q: Does this mean you'll work on Skyrim now?
A: Maybe. Maybe not. I will make familiarization with Papyrus a priority until FO4 ships. Whether or not anything comes to fruition out of it remains to be seen. I'm sitting on a half-finished vampire-hunting questline, but it's absolute s***. The player runs around with a self-loathing, skooma-addled dhampir killing a**hole bloodsuckers in each town. It's an on-rails, fedex killing spree. No deeper themes or moral ambiguity, just slaying faceless asshats. In other words, s***.

Q: Will you patch up NVBII and Russell?
A: I have zero interest in it right now. Maybe later.

Q: Will you ever answer PM's again? At the least, why not delete some old PM's so your mailbox isn't full?
A: I don't know.

Q: Are you drunk?
A: When I wrote this on word last night, yes. I decided to post it (unedited) while sober.

I had half a mind to just vanish without any explanation, but that was just too chickenshit for me. I will be gone for a bit, so please refrain from excessive groaning or gnashing of teeth if I fail to respond. This is my hobby, and I can't fake it when the motivation isn't there. The next time you hear from me, I'll have something real. Perhaps another mindless orgy of violence set amidst the high fantasy bullshittery of Skyrim. Whatever it is, it will be bloody, and it will have balls. If that goes against the grain of immersive bodices or whatever, so be it. That's just how express myself, and I can't fake it.

Lastly, I appreciate the ongoing support from the community. Even when I f*** up or go in hiding from the modding world, the encouragement never ceases. It has a funny way of inducing both guilt and renewed passion in the inactive modder. Remorse usually stems from the fact that players continue to rally around a mod that is effectively dead as disco, often encouraged by the modder's past predictions of grandiose content and exciting features. However, it can also pump life into the creative sinews, reminding modders that some people still enjoy their work, and thus future projects will have an audience. With that in mind, thank you. It's been a phenomenal run in Fallout: New Vegas, and I look forward to future work in the Nexus... eventually.

Tired of the engine and wants to just focus on smaller scope mods.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 7, 2014

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Roobanguy posted:

Yep. Here's the quote.

Tired of the engine and wants to just focus on smaller scope mods.

He was probably being pretty nice in the end too. It's really, really tough having to deal with the average user on Nexus. Almost nobody reads the documentation and those that do are also drowned out in the massive ocean of users that absolutely never read the documentation OR the comments in a mod to see if their issue has been asked and answered - which often it has, and several times over. Barring that, you get to deal with the Idea Man(tm) type people that only want to criticize what you've released - not because it's bad, but because it's not how they would have done it. This is especially evident with the weapon releases we do. Released with an Eotech and a silencer = what, why would you do that, an ACOG would totally be better bro and how 'bout that CAWDOODY vertigrip I like so much?! Then finally it's just endless request after request for more. Just more. You can't ever release enough. I feel for him because as one of the few guys to release a popular quest mod, the pressure for him to release more was probably always present and the work involved in something like that is far more involved.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Sensenmann posted:

AWOP, well, that one gets a lot of hate and I can see why people dislike it.

AWOP is a horror show but I play with the independently patched, low loot version because it provides a chance to actually use all my cool weaponry. The base game provides maybe only a half dozen serious fights, and no other mod really addresses the problem of playing what is on many levels a weapon-collecting game without enough fights.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

physeter posted:

AWOP is a horror show but I play with the independently patched, low loot version because it provides a chance to actually use all my cool weaponry. The base game provides maybe only a half dozen serious fights, and no other mod really addresses the problem of playing what is on many levels a weapon-collecting game without enough fights.

That's basically the only reason I used it on previous playthroughs. Not using it anymore because some locations choke my machine due to the absurd amounts of enemies AWOP throws at you. That might not be the case if I'd ditch NMCs texture pack and other fancy eye candy but a) I refuse to go back to "old" Vegas and b) I doubt it. Still, it's a mod anyone who likes more locations and pumping lead into enemies should try at least once.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm currently installing Tale of Two Wastelands and I'm just wondering if there is any documentation for the optional plug-ins? All the FOMOD is giving me is a list of names without any explanations, which isn't very helpful.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Veotax posted:

I'm currently installing Tale of Two Wastelands and I'm just wondering if there is any documentation for the optional plug-ins? All the FOMOD is giving me is a list of names without any explanations, which isn't very helpful.

I just pulled this from the info I got when I installed it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Much appreciated.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

LoonShia posted:

Yes! It's not the greatest house mod (we'll have to wait for the ultimate version of Lombard Station for that), but it's convenient enough to be useful. It basically makes inventory management a non-issue, since you can plop your tent down anywhere and drop off any extraneous items.

Speaking of, anyone seen Swag lately?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

On TTW has anyone got any information on how you work with FO3 mods? Few pages back someone mentions there's an automatic script but does anyone know how well it works?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Nobody Interesting posted:

On TTW has anyone got any information on how you work with FO3 mods? Few pages back someone mentions there's an automatic script but does anyone know how well it works?

Here's this on the TTW website.

http://taleoftwowastelands.com/content/faq#fallout3modswithttw

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Does every Fallout 3 mod need to be converted, or will simple mods like these enemy rebalance mods work without conversion?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Veotax posted:

Does every Fallout 3 mod need to be converted, or will simple mods like these enemy rebalance mods work without conversion?

They'll need to be converted for sure because they reference Fallout 3 IDs and creatures. Rule of thumb: if it has an esp, it needs conversion.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I don't know what's changed, but my sound is hosed. Menu sounds are fine, but once in game, nothing makes a sound until I invoke the menu or pip boy. Then it all blares at once, and the behavior repeats.

I've tried the Silent Hill ENB fix but it did nothing. Messed with audio rates, vsync settings, still no luck. Any ideas?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

He got eaten by a grue (that he was adding as an easter egg to Lombard) :ghost:

nah I've seen him post, today even.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

He's been busy playing real life Minecraft. He says he'll be around again when he's done all the building and such.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I dunno what you people were complaining about, Dead Money was awesome. Reminded me of Operation Anchorage, which I also liked; using the game's engine in unique ways to make a different game experience. I feel like it might tried a bit too many things to change it up, though; removing one of either the Ghost People, the speakers or the security holograms probably would've made an overall sharper experience. I also didn't like that Dean and God were such argumentative assholes. I get it, but why is there not an option to say 'if we don't do this we all die, so just suck it up and deal with it'.

I wanted to bring Christine back to the Mojave and just be BFFs, I liked her. Wasn't fond of Dog/God, although that might have been in part because Dean and Christine were much more interesting (and much more relevant to the actual story) yet it always jabbed you to do Dog's part first.

...Now, if I could only leave. I'd let go and move on like you asked me to, game, but I can't when you crash every time I try to leave!

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
I liked that the 'theme' of Dead Money let go and move on, when in reality it was dump as many other items as you can for gold bars

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Throw them in elijahs corpse, duh.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I take them because they look pretty when put into your house, I hardly have any need for caps by that point.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zeron posted:

I take them because they look pretty when put into your house, I hardly have any need for caps by that point.
Plus there's the pre-war money payout from the casino if you aren't using jsawyer.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

turbomoose posted:

I liked that the 'theme' of Dead Money let go and move on, when in reality it was dump as many other items as you can for gold bars

gently caress the gold bars, the real reward for me was two thousand .357 bullets.

...Provided I can leave the place. i'm kind of worried that might be a permanent thing from save bloat, I'm gonna have to console-port my way into a Mojave cell and check.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Did you try putting all of your inventory into a box and then trying to leave? That sometimes fixes gamebryo area-change related crashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I remember the last time I played DM, I had to turn off HC mode to leave. So if you're playing with HC on, might as well try turning it off.