Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zeeman posted:

Which is hilarious, but also could make it easy for the Court to say that this wasn't in good faith

Yeah, I just don't think you could fit Satan and a 9" on the third layer of a three tiered white cake unless you started with a much wider than normal base cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich

qkkl posted:

They're going to rule that since the Constitution says nothing about LGBT rights then the 1st Amendment trumps the rights of LGBT people. A liberal court might rule that the "life, liberty, and property" clause trumps the religious freedom clause.

The what now?

qkkl posted:

If the former does happen we might actually see a new Amendment get ratified.

Because 2/3 of Congress and 3/4 of state legislators care about what, exactly, related to this issue?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Reminder for constitutional amendments, to pass something proposed by the GOP, you'd need a state as blue as Washington state or Oregon to agree, and for an amendment proposed by the Democrats, you'd need a state as red as Nebraska or Montana to agree. (Those states are roughly at the 75th percentile in either direction)

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

ilkhan posted:

Wasn't the last one 7-2? Or am I mis-remembering?

It was, although if you want to give Breyer and Kagan the benefit of the doubt, maybe they were joining the majority to help wheedle the "narrow" decision out of Kennedy instead of reversing on gay rights entirely.

But on the other hand, Trinity Lutheran was 7-2 also.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

In a 5-4 decision based on the long-established precedent of Dredd Scott...

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

quote:

All people—no matter who they are, what they believe, or what protected characteristics they have—are welcome in Phillips’s shop and may purchase anything available for sale. But as a devout man of faith, Phillips cannot create custom cakes that express messages or celebrate events in conflict with his religious beliefs.
My brain just snapped in half.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, I just don't think you could fit Satan and a 9" on the third layer of a three tiered white cake unless you started with a much wider than normal base cake.

It's usually a good idea to have a flared base, just in case.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ron Jeremy posted:

It's usually a good idea to have a flared base, just in case.

:perfect: (especially username/post combination)

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wolf Pussy posted:

The what now?

Because 2/3 of Congress and 3/4 of state legislators care about what, exactly, related to this issue?

The 14th amendment, and the fact that sex/gender isn't a fully protected class in the Constitution.

edit: Wait a second, it looks like race isn't a fully protected class either. It might actually be possible for the SCOTUS to rule that religious liberty trumps laws that protect people from being racially discriminated against.

qkkl fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 17, 2018

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

qkkl posted:

The 14th amendment, and the fact that sex/gender isn't a fully protected class in the Constitution.

edit: Wait a second, it looks like race isn't a fully protected class either. It might actually be possible for the SCOTUS to rule that religious liberty trumps laws that protect people from being racially discriminated against.

Laws which discriminate on the basis of race must survive strict scrutiny, which is extremely difficult for the government to do. Laws which discriminate on the basis of sex must survive heightened scrutiny, which is not easy but can be done if the need is obvious and compelling.

Stuff like sexual orientation/identity though, has no heightened protection and the government has to only articulate a rational basis (anything better than "we hate gays because they are icky"), which is usually easier to do. Marriage was one of the few times the government arguably ever failed to show that it was anything but arbitrary animus.

edit: oh wait you aren't talking about laws imposed by the government, but about the private conduct of one citizen vs another. Yeah, there's not much in the constitution for that, but some state constitutions are stronger than the federal constitution, like Colorado. If you refuse to sell anything in your private store because of a potential customer's race, the federal constitution just shrugs at that.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 17, 2018

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

qkkl posted:

Important note about Masterpiece Cake Shop and both of these cases: The law in question is Colorado's state law that says discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation (including transgender status) is illegal. The Supreme Court had no problem completely sidestepping the fact that yes, the baker's behavior was absolutely illegal, and ruling that he's retroactively allowed to discriminate illegally because a civil rights commissioner was rude to him about it later.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

and if you have to ignore all the religious animus of the president.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Groovelord Neato posted:

and if you have to ignore all the religious animus of the president.

That was the best worst part because it's just another case of the conservative wingof the SCOTUS doing whatever the gently caress they want, consistency be damned. They know that not only will they get away with it but the GOP will be rewarded by them doing so (see: Bush v. Gore, Shelby County...etc).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

qkkl posted:

It's possible for scotus to rule anything how they want really, isn't that the whole point of the court?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Important note about Masterpiece Cake Shop and both of these cases: The law in question is Colorado's state law that says discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation (including transgender status) is illegal. The Supreme Court had no problem completely sidestepping the fact that yes, the baker's behavior was absolutely illegal, and ruling that he's retroactively allowed to discriminate illegally because a civil rights commissioner was rude to him about it later.

Is everyone being careful not to hurt the guy's feelings this time?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The court won't care.

It was a thin, barely-coherent premise last time, and they'll find another this time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mandatory lesbian posted:

It's possible for scotus to rule anything how they want really, isn't that the whole point of the court?
I mean pretty much. The idea was supposed to be that the Justices need to use precedent, but the Roberts Court threw that out the window years ago.

You could make the argument that died after Bush v Gore.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean pretty much. The idea was supposed to be that the Justices need to use precedent, but the Roberts Court threw that out the window years ago.

You could make the argument that died after Bush v Gore.

Even before Bush v Gore, the Supreme Court has abused its unique ability to overrule precedent loads of times. It's just another tradition that can be ignored anytime the judges feel like.

The main limiting factor on the Supreme Court is the checks-and-balances system between the various branches of government. The judges can rule however they want, but the President and Congress can always just ignore it (see also: Andrew Jackson), or actively gently caress with them in response (see also: FDR). Because the Court lacks real power and can't directly act against the other two branches themselves, they need to be sensitive to political pressure, avoid overreaching in their decisions, and maintain a vaguely-convincing pretense of basing their rulings solely in hard legal analysis.

In theory, anyway. In practice, the checks and balances in the system have essentially broken down, and we're pretty much just waiting for the collapse. Fun!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well if one party controls the entire government there won’t be any political pressure

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Ahh, the ever critical states right to have their laws ignored by SCOTUS for no constitutional reason.

I wonder what happens as people start considering SCOTUS, and by extension the entire concept of 'rule of law' illegitimate. I can't imagine that a court-packing in 2021 will help with that belief, even when it fixes the obvious problems with the current court.

West Virginia will make a good bellweather for this.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well if one party controls the entire government there won’t be any political pressure

Yeah, but it's not like that would ever happen!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Harik posted:

Ahh, the ever critical states right to have their laws ignored by SCOTUS for no constitutional reason.

I wonder what happens as people start considering SCOTUS, and by extension the entire concept of 'rule of law' illegitimate. I can't imagine that a court-packing in 2021 will help with that belief, even when it fixes the obvious problems with the current court.

West Virginia will make a good bellweather for this.

They tossed the fine because one of the committee members was biased so the baker's right to due process was violated. Think of it this way: If a murder conviction is tossed due to judicial misconduct that doesn't mean murder is suddenly legal.

However since he did the same thing again we'll get to see if the supreme court actually does want to strike down the law...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

hobbesmaster posted:

They tossed the fine because one of the committee members was biased so the baker's right to due process was violated. Think of it this way: If a murder conviction is tossed due to judicial misconduct that doesn't mean murder is suddenly legal.

However since he did the same thing again we'll get to see if the supreme court actually does want to strike down the law...

Most importantly: They did this while simultaneously giving the President of the United States a pass on his openly racist and aggressive views that had far more to do with his actions than Colorado properly enforcing a law that the SCOTUS didn't bother to rule on the legality of.

Some committee member didn't like a bigot? Well that's violating their rights.
The POTUS has a long and clearly documented history of racial animus towards certain groups? Not a problem and his actions to oppress those groups is fine.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

They tossed the fine because one of the committee members was biased so the baker's right to due process was violated.

He wasn't biased, he just said religious beliefs have been used as a fig leaf for discrimination throughout history, and aren't a valid justification for breaking anti-discrimination law (which is 100% true see Heart of Atlanta Hotel)

The court just strawmanned that into "Christians are all bigots", it's more like if a conviction is tossed because the judge ruled "but she cheated on me" isn't a valid defense to murder no matter how many men before him claimed it is, and the supreme court said "whoa u must hate men, case dismissed" and then did that every time a guy murdered his wife. Murdering your wife isn't technically legal you guys, the supreme court just rules in favor of the murderer every single time tho

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
boy john roberts, i dunno

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich
Is there a drinking game involving Merrick Garland mentions at today’s hearing?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
So far you would still be able to drive.

Bunch of dick waving, no questions.

The guy talking right now (schoolhouse rock dude) is pretty drat correct. Camera is on the judge, not sure who it is.

e: Ben Sasse

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 4, 2018

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

oh my god if Sasse mentions school house rock one more time in this hearing...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Peacoffee posted:

oh my god if Sasse mentions school house rock one more time in this hearing...
SHR has a better grasp of civics than our legislature.

e: now you're drunk on Garland mentions.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 4, 2018

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

How much does it suck to be staff that just has to sit there on camera while having to listen to all these awful speeches. Can't even look at your phone or just read a book.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I've gotta admit, I didn't think they'd be so crazy as to invoke Bork like this.

Truly shameless.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Goddamn i hate his Kermit Peterson loving voice. I want to punch that voice.

Lord what do I sacrifice for this fucker to get run out on a rail.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
What is the thread's opinion on term limits for the SC?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Puppy Bowl posted:

18 year limits with 9 staggered terms would be very nice - time it so each term limit ends at the beginning of year 1 and year 3 of a Presidential term.

However, it would require a Constitutional amendment, so you may as well wish for an amendment mandating Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism while you're at it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Puppy Bowl posted:

In theory, yeah, an 18-year term without possibility of reappointment would be a good option. A mandatory retirement age of 75 could also work. In practice, constitutional amendment required, so we can all whistle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ulmont posted:

18 year limits with 9 staggered terms would be very nice - time it so each term limit ends at the beginning of year 1 and year 3 of a Presidential term.

However, it would require a Constitutional amendment, so you may as well wish for an amendment mandating Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism while you're at it.

You'd have to mandate action on Congress's part to because the current GOP would do the same thing with any non-RepublicanALEC-nominated Justice as they did to Garland.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

You'd have to mandate action on Congress's part to because the current GOP would do the same thing with any non-RepublicanALEC-nominated Justice as they did to Garland.

Mandating action is pointless because they can just ignore the mandate. You might as well just amend the Constitution to add "Stop being lovely, Congress" to the end - it'll be just about as effective at changing Congress's behavior.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jiro posted:

How much does it suck to be staff that just has to sit there on camera while having to listen to all these awful speeches. Can't even look at your phone or just read a book.

Mostly it’s sitting there paralyzed with fear that your senator is going to gently caress up the questions you wrote for them and listening to see if there’s anything the witness says that you need to try to get your Senator to follow up on.

(Unrelated staff aren’t sitting there, only the nominations/Judiciary staff.)

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
In Constitutional Amendment context we can make it so that Congress has six months(or whatever time we want here) to vote the nominee down and if they don't then they are installed on the count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You could put a caveat to the effect of that seat will always be tied to that president. So if vacancy X opens up under President Y, that replacement is always his pick even if his term ends before it's filled. It would avoid another Garland travesty because the President, in this instance Obama, would always get claim to Scalia's seat in perpetuity the minute the old coot croaked. Then whatever future President is in office once our Hypothetical Justice Garland dies gets claim to Garlands seat until it's filled and so on.