Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Somfin posted:

Gonna assume you're trolling here.

Off the bat, he probably meant. DS1 requires you to get halfway through the main content in order to warp, with several areas being huge pathways leading to doors specifically locked until you get the warp item, or just a huge pain in the rear end to return from. I lost two characters to Ash Lake and The Tomb of the Giants because of that horse poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Baby crying in video games. Annoying as gently caress, I work in a retail store and hear babies crying all the drat time. You know the fastest way to completely eliminate the chance of me being scared in your horror game? You using a baby's cry as some cheap attempt for "horror" when all it does is piss me the gently caress off and want to move on so it stops. Also that Max Payne level can eat a bag of dicks.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

im pooping! posted:

Dawnguard is one of the worst examples for artificial content because it legitimately adds a lot to the game. I won't elaborate because if you want to cheat yourself out of the $5 or whatever Dawnguard costs now you are free to do that.

*e

also this:

Yeah if somebody is mad about bullshit game-padding quests, they probably shouldn't be playing Skyrim in general.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There is a great interface trick in Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice that I love. In the 4th case you play as Athena with Prosecutor Blackquill lending her moral support in her corner, making her do all the work as she is the defense, not him, but offering sage advice from time to time. At one point he get frustrated with her for giving up too easily and grabs her by the collar, and he physically grabs the camera that acts as Athena's POV and pulls it toward him as he yells in her face "REALLY?! A decisive piece of evidence, eye-witness testimony and a small head wound are enough to make you give up on your client!?" It's pretty badass, and the only time in the series that the interface is played with.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

im pooping! posted:

Dawnguard is one of the worst examples for artificial content because it legitimately adds a lot to the game. I won't elaborate because if you want to cheat yourself out of the $5 or whatever Dawnguard costs now you are free to do that.

The problem I have with it is the devs put you directly next to the final boss of the expansion and don't bother giving you an actual reason why you can't end things there and then. He has that teleport thing he does, let him do that if you try to attack anyone, chuck in a line about how it leaves him weakened or whatever to justify why he can't do that at the final fight and they're done. Maybe everyone retreats to that blood fountain with the impenetrable shield and all you can do is glower at them until you leave to get the bow anyway. Come up with some other bullshit, just don't make the solution hard-locking the player's ability to take offensive actions. Also maybe don't have a character berate you for not doing something that was mechanically impossible, even if he walks it back real fast.

In Morrowind you can just rock up at Dagoth Ur's place whenever, except you can't kill him because he's got some poo poo going and will endlessly resurrect so you have to find a bunch of ancient artefacts and kill a god's heart first. There's a reason you can't just go beat the end boss, like an actual narrative reason. This was a problem Bethesda had already solved.

I'm also super cut you can convince Serana to cure herself of vampirism.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is a great game, but the Dark Arisen dlc dungeon adds some new bosses that just completely suck. Specifically, the Condemned Gorecyclops - a cyclops in spiked armour that's roughly 6-7 times the size of the normal cyclopes that you're effortlessly clowning on by this point in the game. Gorecyclopes have possibly the most predictable attack patterns in the game, and leave a few very obvious, easy places to damage them. The problem is that they have a shitload of health and high defence, so unless you specifically gear up to take one of these idiots down quickly you'll essentially be sitting in one place hacking away at its ankles or shooting it in the rear end for 20 loving minutes. It's the worst kind of boss design, in a game that is otherwise incredibly good about boss design.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Digging into GTA San Andreas, and while I appreciate that it's a decade-plus old game, and so has certain quirks, what's irritating to me is the mission checkpoints, or rather the lack thereof. It's really irritating to fail a mission only to be kicked back to the cinematic and having to drive all the way to your destination again. I suppose it gives you time to stock up on guns and ammo if you need them, but for the most part it's a waste.

All we had to do was to follow the drat train, CJ!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

All we had to do was to follow the drat train, CJ!

That one is the worst because the starting location for the mission is so goddamn far away from the failure point and you can't just turn around and follow the tracks back because instead the mission starts at Big Smoke's house. So you have to go pick him up again and then drive all the way over to the train station.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The worst is that it gives you the wrong idea on why you're failing it so you spend the whole drive thinking okay I just gotta go faster when going after the train. But no you just have to move sideways away from the train a little more and Smoke can shoot the loving guys on the train in more than enough time.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Survival in Fallout 4 disables the console, which is pretty funny because you can now get stuck all over the place and not just noclip out of it, because apparently Bethesda felt the need to enforce a self-imposed challenge? Is there even a ~cheevo~ for this, like in New Vegas?

That said, the game is full of things that just don't show respect for my time. Hey, farming people, maybe you should actually harvest some of the surplus I planted instead of requiring me to do it. And when I do harvest things, maybe I should get more than one single thing, despite it obviously being full of the stuff. Why the hell do wild variants of things exist when they do nothing and can't be used for anything? Why can't I substitute clean water for dirty, was Bethesda too crap to put an OR into crafting? Why can't I craft the rarer drugs, so that I can actually see them sometime?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A really annoying design decision in the older GTA series was where if you would die or get arrested you'd lose all your weapons. It was just such a hassle to have to go an resupply every time you got killed in a fight. Especially bad in the early parts of SA where you don't have any Ammunations unlocked so you have to go scrounge around for anything to use.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I always just reloaded if I got busted/wasted. It just wasn't worth the hassle.

So boy oh boy if you hadn't saved in a while...

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I was the king of savescumming in San Andreas. It's how I got to 100% with 0 deaths, 0 times busted and $0 spent on weapons.

Twice.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

im pooping! posted:

I was the king of savescumming in San Andreas. It's how I got to 100% with 0 deaths, 0 times busted and $0 spent on weapons.

Twice.

What sins did you commit to condemn your soul to this eerily specific Hell?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I believe the Xbox version glitched out so if you unlocked the girlfriends that saved your gear from Death/Busted, those effects carried over onto new games as well.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Just finished Star Ocean 5, and boy was that ever a waste of my life.
  • The plot is so simple and the characters have next to no motivation for the things they do, and nobody has actual in-plot characterization.
  • Except in very rare scenarios all plot is done in voiced lines while your character is able to haplessly walk within a zone of invisible barriers, all of these are unskippable.
  • There are several "space battle" sequences, where you walk around bored in the bridge this fashion while the spaceship characters describe what's happening offscreen. They are exactly as boring as they sound, unskippable, and take upward of 5-10 minutes to get through
  • 90% of the gameplay is running between the four towns they could afford to put in the game, with the occasional dungeon stapled on nearby
  • Combat itself is simplified from previous entries with AI-adjusting "role assignment" for strategizing your MMO battle team (which is always well received in every RPG it's in)
  • Many bosses have wide aoe instakill attacks to try to add any relevancy to said role assigment system
  • "Protect the party member" scenes, when all enemies beeline for that character and, again, you have at best limited control of your allies through AI roles
  • Crafting is pointless unless you choose to do postgame, you really don't need the bonuses it affords you, and even if you want to break the game over your knee you can simply spend the time you would spend collecting resources for crafting overleveling your party since there's no experience scaling
  • Sidequests are all "go defeat this/these monsters," either for them to die or to collect their spoils, with very rare exceptions
Taking into account that the game only released a few months ago and I got it for half off, I should have expected it to be this bad, but holy crap was that game baaad. Saving grace, it only took about 17 hours to clear the whole thing, which is pretty generous by JRPG standards.

(Copied/edited post I made in a Let's Play thread, thought it belonged here)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

im pooping! posted:

Twice.

Def Jam: Fight for New York would track your win loss record, which for most of the game isn''t a problem, but when you enter the post game and are trying to max out your character, you get one shot at any of the fights and lose the development points forever if you lose a match. After playing the game something like three times, I wanted to make a perfect character, so you better believe I did some save-scumming.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Poulpe posted:

• The plot is so simple and the characters have next to no motivation for the things they do, and nobody has actual in-plot characterization.
  • Except in very rare scenarios all plot is done in voiced lines while your character is able to haplessly walk within a zone of invisible barriers, all of these are unskippable.
  • There are several "space battle" sequences, where you walk around bored in the bridge this fashion while the spaceship characters describe what's happening offscreen. They are exactly as boring as they sound, unskippable, and take upward of 5-10 minutes to get through
  • 90% of the gameplay is running between the four towns they could afford to put in the game, with the occasional dungeon stapled on nearby
  • Combat itself is simplified from previous entries with AI-adjusting "role assignment" for strategizing your MMO battle team (which is always well received in every RPG it's in)
  • Many bosses have wide aoe instakill attacks to try to add any relevancy to said role assigment system
  • "Protect the party member" scenes, when all enemies beeline for that character and, again, you have at best limited control of your allies through AI roles
  • Crafting is pointless unless you choose to do postgame, you really don't need the bonuses it affords you, and even if you want to break the game over your knee you can simply spend the time you would spend collecting resources for crafting overleveling your party since there's no experience scaling
  • Sidequests are all "go defeat this/these monsters," either for them to die or to collect their spoils, with very rare exceptions
Taking into account that the game only released a few months ago and I got it for half off, I should have expected it to be this bad, but holy crap was that game baaad. Saving grace, it only took about 17 hours to clear the whole thing, which is pretty generous by JRPG standards.

Yeah, i'm playing it at the moment and i've done most of the straight forward side-quests and now i have about 15 low-drop rate things to collect to do the rest of them so i think i'm just going to finish the game and move on rather than grinding for another 10 hours.

I like it but it is really obviously low budget with gently caress all locations and a bunch of story stuff that is never really elaborated on.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

I always just reloaded if I got busted/wasted. It just wasn't worth the hassle.

So boy oh boy if you hadn't saved in a while...

I've done this a few times, though at least I stumbled on the hint that killing crack dealers is a great source of income, so even if I get wasted afterwards it's a net profit.

(Speaking of which why does Grove St. run so many robberies and such where you get no money afterwards? No wonder this gang's a joke to everyone else, we're terrible at this!)

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

spudsbuckley posted:

Yeah, i'm playing it at the moment and i've done most of the straight forward side-quests and now i have about 15 low-drop rate things to collect to do the rest of them so i think i'm just going to finish the game and move on rather than grinding for another 10 hours.

I like it but it is really obviously low budget with gently caress all locations and a bunch of story stuff that is never really elaborated on.

The plot is really what put it over on the laziness factor yeah- never do they even try to endear any of the characters to ~mystic little girl~ in any way but suddenly she's the most important thing in any of their lives. Ugh.

Do yourself a favor and unlock/level "dead man walking" role to 3 and put it on Miki - from then on you'll be incapable of losing no matter how hard you power through plot

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Scholar of the First Sin: Why does the game spawn a souped-up version of the boss I just defeated in the Lost Bastille? Why do the enemies gang up on me and never stop aggro-ing? Why do those fat turtle bastards swivel on a dime? That 60FPS though.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Because SotFS is like a shittier kaizo remix of DS2.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

Digging into GTA San Andreas, and while I appreciate that it's a decade-plus old game, and so has certain quirks, what's irritating to me is the mission checkpoints, or rather the lack thereof. It's really irritating to fail a mission only to be kicked back to the cinematic and having to drive all the way to your destination again. I suppose it gives you time to stock up on guns and ammo if you need them, but for the most part it's a waste.

Same here. Was literally thinking of posting the same thing. So glad they put a checkpoint in the final mission but you still have to go back to Sweets house from the hospital in the middle of a riot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Because SotFS is like a shittier kaizo remix of DS2.
it owns because DS2 was already a lovely kaizo DS1 so it was cool that they just went the whole hog and made it an idiotic challenge run

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

What sucks is that Scholar is $10 on Steam right now and the original is $40. Oh, but you already have the original, and just want to try Scholar out? No problem, the upgrade pack is only $30.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SotFS is a standalone thing, buying the $30 DS2 upgrade would only be worth it on the normal price where Scholar is $40, just buy SotFS for $10 and you're all set.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Scholar of the First Sin: Why does the game spawn a souped-up version of the boss I just defeated in the Lost Bastille? Why do the enemies gang up on me and never stop aggro-ing? Why do those fat turtle bastards swivel on a dime? That 60FPS though.

Do you want to a) fight this boss again except this time the arena is worse, you can aggro those explodey guys if you're not careful and you're guaranteed to be in waist-deep water the entire time or b) walk back a couple of steps and just fill it with arrows/abuse the leash distance, because we sure as poo poo aren't giving you a bonfire afterwards?

Also the super cool decision of putting a bonfire in aggro range of two enemies.

I think the only parts of DS2 I genuinely liked were no-man's wharf and a handful of bosses.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

Baby crying in video games. Annoying as gently caress, I work in a retail store and hear babies crying all the drat time. You know the fastest way to completely eliminate the chance of me being scared in your horror game? You using a baby's cry as some cheap attempt for "horror" when all it does is piss me the gently caress off and want to move on so it stops. Also that Max Payne level can eat a bag of dicks.

dordreff posted:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is a great game, but the Dark Arisen dlc dungeon adds some new bosses that just completely suck. Specifically, the Condemned Gorecyclops - a cyclops in spiked armour that's roughly 6-7 times the size of the normal cyclopes that you're effortlessly clowning on by this point in the game. Gorecyclopes have possibly the most predictable attack patterns in the game, and leave a few very obvious, easy places to damage them. The problem is that they have a shitload of health and high defence, so unless you specifically gear up to take one of these idiots down quickly you'll essentially be sitting in one place hacking away at its ankles or shooting it in the rear end for 20 loving minutes. It's the worst kind of boss design, in a game that is otherwise incredibly good about boss design.

At least all the Condemned Gorecyclops are optional. The worst bosses are the dragons and the final boss of the Dark Arisen content, if just because every dragon in the game has the spectacular ability to just kill your pawns. Or posses them, which means if your pawn is really strong and gets taken over prepare to get killed. The last boss of Dark Arisen is just the worst for instant kill bullshit in the game.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

I remember reading something about the designer for Zelda: Link To The Past talking about the incessant beeping that happens when you're at low health. "It should be annoying, to provoke the player into prioritizing health recovery". [Paraphrased]

I hope wherever that man is, he is right this instant on fire

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Attack on Titan is way too fond of putting too many enemies on screen to 'increase the difficulty' which it never does. Killing one titan is not that particularly more difficult than killing 20. However, what it does accomplish is killing my framerate and having the games physics system start glitching out and messing up collision detection while occasionally sending titans flying. All at a glorious 15-5 frames per second. Like maybe make more than one non-story related boss design if you want to have an increasing difficulty...? Maybe don't have there be only 2(3...?) kinds of abnormals...? Instead what you do is spend 5 minutes mopping up the trash which can be extremely easy as their AI sometimes simply stops functioning in these battles.

I would turn down the graphical settings but there are of course none.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

SotFS is a standalone thing, buying the $30 DS2 upgrade would only be worth it on the normal price where Scholar is $40, just buy SotFS for $10 and you're all set.

I'm aware of that, obviously. The point is that I would much rather buy vanilla anyways but really can't justify it at all since Bandai Namco apparently forgot how numbers work.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Evilreaver posted:

I remember reading something about the designer for Zelda: Link To The Past talking about the incessant beeping that happens when you're at low health. "It should be annoying, to provoke the player into prioritizing health recovery". [Paraphrased]

I hope wherever that man is, he is right this instant on fire

Prioritize healing by hoping you get a random heart drop, what a smart fella.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

RyokoTK posted:

Prioritize healing by hoping you get a random heart drop, what a smart fella.

Hope you're not playing Hero Mode! :suicide:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You know what Gears of War 4, the latest game in the series designed around a gun with a chainsaw on it really needed?

Parts that involve avoiding lightning, where if it hits you two times you die and in co-op, both players have to get through, mandatory minigames completely unrelated to shooting and, of course, a storyline somehow even worse than that of 3, being trite (no, you don't say, big gubmint is bad??) and nonsensical and in a way extremely cheerful thus far, which is definitely what a science fiction dystopia should have.

How do people keep loving up a series where, literally, you just want a pleasing shooting gallery that ends up with you murdering increasingly large monsters in an oppressive hellscape?

Also they nerfed the retro lancer, which used to be a sorta slower, stronger firing lancer and is now simply an inferior lancer that you can sometimes use to bayonet people, if they aren't looking at you or shooting or move slightly to far to the sides.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Poulpe posted:

Assume that I'm a moron who genuinely enjoyed the gameplay of SO4: is SO5 worse?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Assume that I'm a moron who genuinely enjoyed the gameplay of SO4: is SO5 worse?
It has been a very long time since I played SO4, but I have been keeping up with the ongoing LP, and while I definitely remember thinking it was dumb, I don't remember being insulted by how aggressively lazy everything in the game was. SO5 is worse.

That said, the combat is somewhat similar between the two, and the combat is the only somewhat interesting thing in SO5 at all, so maybe, maybe, it will redeem the experience for you.
Watch youtube videos, and wait until it goes on mega cheap discount first, though. I bought it half off retail price at $40 CAD and feel quite cheated even still.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh hey Bethesda, maybe not having saves anywhere would be better if your games weren't buggy pieces of poo poo where you get stuck on random geometry (twice thus far) or the game just stops working properly. (The game now hangs on loading screens)

I don't know why they pretended to be something they weren't tbh.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Oh hey Bethesda, maybe not having saves anywhere would be better if your games weren't buggy pieces of poo poo where you get stuck on random geometry (twice thus far) or the game just stops working properly. (The game now hangs on loading screens)

I don't know why they pretended to be something they weren't tbh.

` tcl is your only ally in bethesda games

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
God Eater 2: Rage Burst's story and cast is so ungodly awful that it is actively killing my interest in a game I otherwise enjoy a lot. It tries so hard to be dark and edgy while also being about the power of friendship, the entire cast consists of blithering idiots and mustache twirlers, and it constantly has dialogue like "The guide has come. The one who shall lead the blood. Hehehe!"

Also there's a dialogue choice where both options are just your character being utterly confused at the idea of "piercing bullets".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

im pooping! posted:

` tcl is your only ally in bethesda games

Survival mode disables the console.