Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

tuyop posted:

Turn off connect in restrictions.

Pretty sure its already off, I can't remember my restrictions password... :( Yeah, its off.

I thought Apple was getting rid of that stupid connect thing anyways? Did anyone (artist or end-user) ever use the thing? I recall seeing Muse put up some stuff, but I guess it was tied to the artists you have in your collection...and apparently the only artist I have that was actively participating was Muse.

My Music.app just has Library, Radio and Search at the bottom, and I'm cool with that now that I realized I can edit the menu in Library. New music app is alright so far, lets see how it holds up to my morning commute.

EDIT: Now I'm mad, they removed star ratings from iOS. What. The. Hell. :mad:

I'm writing a sternly worded feedback right now! :argh:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snuffman posted:

Pretty sure its already off, I can't remember my restrictions password... :(

I thought Apple was getting rid of that stupid connect thing anyways? Did anyone (artist or end-user) ever use the thing? I recall seeing Muse put up some stuff, but I guess it was tied to the artists you have in your collection...and apparently the only artist I have that was actively participating was Muse.

My Music.app just has Library, Radio and Search at the bottom, and I'm cool with that now that I realized I can edit the menu in Library. New music app is alright so far, lets see how it holds up to my morning commute.

Connect is still there, it's just in the For You tab below all the albums and playlists and such. It shows me some good stuff from time to time. It helps to follow curators in addition to musicians.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Teflon Bob posted:

Try Outlook if you haven't ever/in a while. It's better than the native client by a lot.

The Outlook watch app totally destroys the native one too. You can actually get a decent amount in the initial splash preview along with scrolling text instead of THIS CONTENT CANNOT BE DISPLAYED ON THE APPLE WATCH taking up the entire message.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So what's the deal with Game Centre now? Is it not a thing anymore? I notice the app is gone but I'm still signing into games. Probably on the cutting block.

I'm not attached to it, it was kind of a failed experiment, its just in such a weird place now under iOS10.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's no reason for a standalone app. Functionality is built into Game Center compatible apps.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Really not sure about the new music app. I used the star ratings a ton. Seems like they're still there, since the smart playlists I setup for ratings still seem to work, but now I don't have any way to rate tracks through the app unless I decide to use their stupid "like"/"don't like" system.

Also, is it just me or is there no way to add the currently-playing song to a playlist thats in a folder? Most my playlists are sorted into folders. I used to be able to add the playing song to any playlist I wanted, but now when I try to do that it doesn't show any of the playlist folders, just the few top-level playlists I have (i.e. the ones not in folders).

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
Good: all the stupid poo poo you can do in groupchat now.

Bad: my battery life

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Spectral Debt posted:

Good: all the stupid poo poo you can do in groupchat now.

Bad: my battery life

My battery was poo poo for a day or two and then settled out. Hopefully that's the case.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

How can I remove my Facebook-imported address (which is not accurate) from my profile so the maps widget doesnt tell me how long its going to take to travel to that destination?

and how do I add more places to show up in that list?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

xzzy posted:

I want the Music app to show me songs I have synced to the device via iTunes and nothing else, like it has been since 2007.

When I tap the Songs category? Only show me songs on local storage. Albums? Show me what is on local storage.

Settings -> Music -> iCloud Music Library -> Off.
Plug phone into computer. Start iTunes. Sync music as per normal.

(Coincidentally, you can follow these steps to sync music you own and then reenable iCloud Music Library to use Apple Music. Doing this prevents the iOS Music app re-downloading all the songs you already own.)

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

A lot of businesses seem to have their own sticker packs. I've never even been to a Tim Horton's.

'Still waiting on a Rick and Morty sticker pack.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

So this new bedtime feature has separate alarms and can't use the old ones because?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

General -> Accessibility -> Home Button -> Rest Finger

do that if you want the old home button functionality.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

this new locking noise is nowhere near as satisfying as the old one.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The bedtime feature didn't wake me up and my boss saw me coming in late. I'll sue Apple if this doesn't go well.

Also, why are my saucy texts suddenly readable when the phone is locked and how do I stop it?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It slowly builds in volume, the first 10 to 15 seconds of preview are low volume

Trip report: the alarm (set at about 75%) was plenty loud. It was actually prettty pleasant to wake up to.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I get the thing I saw where if I type pizza I can tap on it to have it turn into the 🍕emoji?

I have my iPhone language set to English and a secondary language set to German. I think that's how you enable to dual dictionary thing right? This is pretty neat. If I'm writing in English and type computer it doesn't do anything special to it aber auf deutsch Computer (it automatically capitalized it). This is really cool.

Now I just need my words to automatically turn into emoji.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

So, :parrot: is available in the iMessage store in many psychedelic colors.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I have an odd issue in which I have iOS10, and my friend has iOS10, and he can send ME stickers and effects and poo poo in Message, but when I try to send it to him, it says like "Hello" "Sent as invisible ink". Any effects I try to send him don't come through on his end, but when he and his wife try it, it both works for them. Anyone see this?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I get the thing I saw where if I type pizza I can tap on it to have it turn into the 🍕emoji?

I have my iPhone language set to English and a secondary language set to German. I think that's how you enable to dual dictionary thing right? This is pretty neat. If I'm writing in English and type computer it doesn't do anything special to it aber auf deutsch Computer (it automatically capitalized it). This is really cool.

Now I just need my words to automatically turn into emoji.

Interesting I have the same problem and similar situation (but with Dutch). I can get the words to turn orange when I switch to the emoji keyboard, but not in the regular English keyboard. :iiam:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LPG Giant posted:

Interesting I have the same problem and similar situation (but with Dutch). I can get the words to turn orange when I switch to the emoji keyboard, but not in the regular English keyboard. :iiam:

That's the way it's supposed to be. It only switches to orange when you switch to the emoji keyboard.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So maybe this is really obvious, but where do I press to play an album/playlist now? I used to be able to press the cover art and it would play the whole thing, now it seems to do nothing. I guess I can have to press on the first song? That seems kind of unintuitive if I want to play the whole album (at least unintuitive to me).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 14, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SgtScruffy posted:

I have an odd issue in which I have iOS10, and my friend has iOS10, and he can send ME stickers and effects and poo poo in Message, but when I try to send it to him, it says like "Hello" "Sent as invisible ink". Any effects I try to send him don't come through on his end, but when he and his wife try it, it both works for them. Anyone see this?

Restart your phone!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

LPG Giant posted:

I don't know what you're talking about about the words turning orange.

Pizza

Switching my keyboard to emoji didn't do anything special to pizza. I mean the emoji turns up in the predictive text suggestions but that's all. Which means it doesn't work for the Dutch keyboard since there is no predictive text suggestions for some reason.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Martytoof posted:

So maybe this is really obvious, but where do I press to play an album/playlist now? I used to be able to press the cover art and it would play the whole thing, now it seems to do nothing. I guess I can have to press on the first song? That seems kind of unintuitive if I want to play the whole album (at least unintuitive to me).

I actually don't use Apple Music so I don't know the answer, but fwiw tapping the first song in the list seems more intuitive to me than tapping the album art.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Dave posted:

I actually don't use Apple Music so I don't know the answer, but fwiw tapping the first song in the list seems more intuitive to me than tapping the album art.

I think I might have thought the same when the first Music redesign happened but then I got used to tapping the album art so maybe it was never actually intuitive but I got used to it. Either way, I feel like there should probably just be a play triangle somewhere in there.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Boris Galerkin posted:

Pizza

Switching my keyboard to emoji didn't do anything special to pizza. I mean the emoji turns up in the predictive text suggestions but that's all. Which means it doesn't work for the Dutch keyboard since there is no predictive text suggestions for some reason.

This only works in iMessage.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Pizza

Mind, I don't use the Dutch keyboard. I just have it set as the second language under Settings->General->Language and Region.

If I type pizza in the English keyboard, then switch to the Emoji keyboard, pizza turns orange and a tap turns it into the emoji. I expected that the switch to the emoji keyboard would not be necessary. But I guess it makes sense: switching to the emoji keyboard is a clear sign you want to add emoji, while if you don't there are other reasons for tapping text (editing etc).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xabi posted:

Also, why are my saucy texts suddenly readable when the phone is locked and how do I stop it?
Settings -> Notifications -> Messages -> Show Previews

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Endless Mike posted:

Settings -> Notifications -> Messages -> Show Previews
It's already off, as it was before I updated to iOS10. However, "Show on Lock Screen" is now turned on. I guess that's why the whole text can be view on a locked phone?

However, I'd like to get a notification on the lock screen that I've received a message but I don't want anyone to be able to read said message.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 14, 2016

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Martytoof posted:

Yep, just tap the first song, which will also queue up the rest of the current playlist/album. You can also press the "..." button and tap the play button there, but that takes longer, so I usually use the first method.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

glassyalabolas posted:

Thank God

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

My work 5s had got the update but my personal 6s hasn't - it just says I'm up to date on 9.3.5 :(

Does anyone know why this would happen? I've tried restarting but that doesn't do anything. I'm in the UK.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 14, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xabi posted:

It's already off, as it was before I updated to iOS10. However, "Show on Lock Screen" is now turned on. I guess that's why the whole text can be view on a locked phone?

However, I'd like to get a notification on the lock screen that I've received a message but I don't want anyone to be able to read said message.

Try turning it on, then back off and maybe rebooting in between? Mine definitely only shows me that I got a message and who it's from, not the full message.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

glassyalabolas posted:

Thanks. Not really a big fan of the new unlock screen

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I suffered the install glitch on my iphone - this is my first OTA major release, so I didn't realise it was a common thing with major releases, otherwise I wouldn't have stayed up till 3am for the ios 10 update to become available. Wasn't a big deal though, I just plugged the phone into itunes in the morning.

I like the new mail app, except in threads each person's response shows a bunch of nested replies which is annoying - I understand this mainly happens with emails from exchange servers? Is this something apple needs to fix, or Microsoft? I may have to go back to using outlook in the meantime. I'm half tempted to migrate all my mail to a gmail account just so I can use inbox.

What I really want to know is who the hell decided to make the clock app white text on a black background for some random reason? white on black looks hideous compared to black on white, and worst of all it doesn't occur anywhere else in the OS, so it looks really jarring and out of place.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got the three month trial for Apple Music and chose the university student set-up but it wasn't clear if I am still getting the three month free trial?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Lord Bude posted:

What I really want to know is who the hell decided to make the clock app white text on a black background for some random reason? white on black looks hideous compared to black on white, and worst of all it doesn't occur anywhere else in the OS, so it looks really jarring and out of place.

Probably just a nod to people who only use the clock app to set an alarm at or around bedtime. I didn't really think about it, but yea, the out of place color scheme just makes me pine for the rumored-but-absent Dark Mode. These white cards or bubbles or panes or whatever are bright as gently caress and kinda ugly. It's weird that not one person at Apple felt the same way and thought, maybe we could let the user determine the brightness and/or opacity of these bubbles.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
If I trade in a 6+, does it cover the cost of the 7+ on Verizon? poo poo yeah I'd upgrade for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

If I trade in a 6+, does it cover the cost of the 7+ on Verizon? poo poo yeah I'd upgrade for free.
No. It will get you $650 towards the cost of a 7+.