Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lonjon posted:

I'm only sorta ok at robots, but I want to play a bit of community robots when events come up or the GIRLs want to have a night on the town. Are Hellbringers the go to robot for this sort of thing? Now that the Night Girl is a cbill robot, does it have a place in a decent clan drop deck? Any other recommendations?

Timber Wolfs, Night Gyrs, Hellbringers, and Ebon Jaguars are all good clan heavies, in more or less descending order of overall desirability. If you want to do proper Community Warfare, you'll need some other mechs - Hunchback IICs, Arctic Cheetahs, and Shadow Cats are good for rounding out a deck - but I don't know if GIRL does CW at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
ahahahaha the Night Gyr 2gauss/1ERPPC poptart is hilariously powerful

GIRL has done CW on occasion recently and it's p. easy.

good clan CW mechs

Night Gyr
Timber Wolf
That one PPC summoner
Hellbringer
Ebon Jaguar
Stormcrow
Hunchback-IIC
Shadow Cat
Arctic Cheetah

you can skimp on weight a bit to fit a Kodiak in there for hilarity

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, the Summoner with the PPC nipples is legit good with a targeting computer and the right modules. I think that's the Mech I'm going to miss the most when the skill revamp hits. Without the quirks and modules it just won't be the same.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
I am going to buy a Night GyrL

The hero is the only one with a ballistic torso hmmm.

Post some good builds so I can look at them in the morning.

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 4, 2017

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

TeeMerk posted:

I am going to buy a Night GyrL

Don't tell the missus.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

armchairyoda posted:

Don't tell the missus.

This thing looks like the old CTF-3D on steroids with better hitboxes?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

So I assume, this means Gyr drivers will be voting for Caustic, Terra and Tourmaline while the rest of the pubbies will be voting for snow maps, per usual...

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

its been like three years since ive played but do mwo goons still use mumble or have things moved over to discord

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Ostentatious posted:

its been like three years since ive played but do mwo goons still use mumble or have things moved over to discord

We use mumble in game and a few of us who are smart and good looking and really cool use a discord.

Also, have you considered that being a Mechwarrior might not be the greatest path when instead you could be like a weapon loader, or say an Interstellar plumber.

I hear that they all pay good cbills and with none of the risk!

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

so i have a jenner JR7-IIC clan mech and i want to gently caress fools up and look cute af while i do it

what's a good weapon build for this mech

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Ostentatious posted:

so i have a jenner JR7-IIC clan mech and i want to gently caress fools up and look cute af while i do it

Which Jenner IIC?

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Artificer posted:

Which Jenner IIC?

The clan one, the IIC(C)

it has boatloads of missiles

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Ostentatious posted:

I prefer two srm6, two srm4, two srm2 for the tightest spread and no ghost heat.

Feel free to chime in about how the cycle times are all different, so I can tell you to have better fire discipline.

The 6 srm6 build is too slow and hot. 6 srm4 is too hot.

The jenner IIc isnt that great anymore. Rescale kicked it in the balls

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lonjon posted:

I'm only sorta ok at robots, but I want to play a bit of community robots when events come up or the GIRLs want to have a night on the town. Are Hellbringers the go to robot for this sort of thing? Now that the Night Girl is a cbill robot, does it have a place in a decent clan drop deck? Any other recommendations?

The Night Gyr has a place anywhere. Just load up on your preferred combo of autocannons (and perhaps some large energy if thats your thing?) and enjoy. It torso twists like a champ too.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
It excels most at jump sniping with the gauss/ERPPC. If you're using any other build treat it like a lizard- If you're on a hot map be much more aggressive with it since you run significantly cooler than everyone else, but on cold maps you are at a huge disadvantage if you're not running the guass/PPC.

Also, I've been playing some MW:LL and I've been trying to like it, but I really don't like the mechs or the weapons in it. The vehicles are fun, the jump jets on the mechs are cool and actual tools for mobility. Weapons are kind of janky and the netcode really doesn't handle lag well at all. Mechs handle really poorly, especially when they have arms, and overall vehicles seem a lot better.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 4, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Other problems with LL, the controls aren't great. Torso twist just feels wrong. Also, trees will gently caress up your day. It's ridiculous.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

I admire the work that they put into it and that they made a game out of a system that really shouldn't have been able to make such a game, but it just isn't very good.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Commoners posted:

I admire the work that they put into it and that they made a game out of a system that really shouldn't have been able to make such a game, but it just isn't very good.

But enough about MWO..

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

actually i take it back my favorite mech is the Urbanmech for sure

any way to make it not poo poo though?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ostentatious posted:

actually i take it back my favorite mech is the Urbanmech for sure

any way to make it not poo poo though?

AC/5, XL180 and medium lasers.

Shoot people from a distance and laugh at their confusion when they finally realise a tin can did it not a heavy.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

AC/5, XL180 and medium lasers.

Shoot people from a distance and laugh at their confusion when they finally realise a tin can did it not a heavy.

This build is bad and wrong. Don't listen to DancingShade.

If you want to build a 1337 Urbie, play with goons. Max XL engine, a PPC or LPL, jumpjets, and as any MGs as it can fit.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

R60 with xl180, max armor, max jump jets, 1LPL/1ML/4MG. I think I run 1 1/2 tons ammo for the machine guns. You poke people with your super good poking profile and if they commit to fight you you either machine gun them while running away or take the offensive if you can finish them off.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skoll posted:

This build is bad and wrong. Don't listen to DancingShade.

If you want to build a 1337 Urbie, play with goons. Max XL engine, a PPC or LPL, jumpjets, and as any MGs as it can fit.

It's one LPL, 2 SPL and 3 MGs :eng101:

Bind the LPL to one button and the rest to the other. The non-LPL firegroup is heat neutral and you can never stop firing once you're in range. Even on Terra Therma.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The urbanmech hiding under a bear dad is surprisingly scary

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

It's one LPL, 2 SPL and 3 MGs :eng101:

Bind the LPL to one button and the rest to the other. The non-LPL firegroup is heat neutral and you can never stop firing once you're in range. Even on Terra Therma.

I mean, whatever works in Australian solo que.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Tried LL and it plays worse than MWO

Has potential though

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

2x LPL is the one true urbanmech.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Great Beer posted:

:same:

Run around and shoot directly behind you. All a matter of course for the urbie.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Anyone who knows what they are doing will shoot your buttplate and murder you if you're running backwards. Be careful doing that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

As someone who shoots at but doesn't drive urbies this is why you cram a huge engine in and go fast. Buttplates ate hard to hit when going by at 100+ kph.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Great Beer posted:

It's very likely the best build in my experience. Add a module and elite skills to the R63 and you have a 32.5% cooldown reduction, so you're basically firing those two LPLs like they were three.

There are other good ones, though. The 2x ERLL R60 with deadside is like a RVN-4X but much, much tougher despite being five tons lighter.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
NTG-PRIME

That's what I'm using as a Night Gyr poptart build. It is unbelievably brutal. I died exactly once last night, and only because it was an early-game headshot to another Night Gyr with the same build

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oh joy the return of the pop tart meta.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Woooo

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Cyrano4747 posted:

The :shepspends: have spoken. :smugdon:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cyrano4747 posted:

People already said that when the Gyr was released and it didn't happen, it's not gonna happen now.

I played (and quit) at the height of the Victor / Highlander meta though so I understand why the mere idea that it might return is so scary.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

People already said that when the Gyr was released and it didn't happen, it's not gonna happen now.

I played (and quit) at the height of the Victor / Highlander meta though so I understand why the mere idea that it might return is so scary.

It required real money when it was released.

And even then the game has become markedly worse through the combined presence of it and the PPFLD Kodiak.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

PPFLD Kodiak.

The what?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

pinpoint front-loaded damage

so stuff that does all its damage to one location (not srms) in one burst (not lasers), i.e. gauss and PPCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I tried out faction warfare last night for the first time because someone told me it was a great way to make cbills. They forgot to add "If you are playing clans".

What a horrendously depressing experience. Queuing for 20 minutes to get into a games where the IS just in fought with each other in chat and gave up after the first engagement everytime. Then the clans just spawn camping to farm cash and ignoring the objectives.

I will shelve the idea of playing it for now, but I would like to work towards obtaining and outfitting a decent dropdeck of mechs. I was thinking for IS: Warhammer, Griffin, Grasshopper and an Enforcer. Too light?

• Locked thread