Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm amazed how often I look down for no real reason and see "666" on the trip or odometer. Guess I know where I'm going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Spent more on a headlight, taillight, chain lube, and lock than I did for the bike. :smith:

Glad the seller included a beat up parts bike. It's pretty bare (frame, derailleurs, crank, brakes, shifters, handlebars), but has cables and the full brake setup. I thought the new bike was just missing a brake pad, but it was missing the mounting bits for it too (cantilever brakes on both). The parts bike has similar enough brakes that I was able to swap the mounting bits and pad over; I'll probably swap the whole brake setup, the parts bike has Shimano brakes on it (no idea what's on the Specialized, the brakes aren't labeled).

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Finally drove out of the city for the first time and stretched its legs. its glorious on twisty desert mountain roads. Also a few burnouts and launches on totally deserted roads adjacent to the interstate. :D

also my phones wide angle lens is :discourse:

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Pulled apart my Civic's distributor to try to fix the intermittent stalling issue, and found a small fragment of magnet inside. Pulled it out and cleaned some contacts and it's running fairly smooth and hasn't died on me so far. Fingers crossed this fixes it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BRAKES

Holy loving hell do I hate pistons that you need to twist to compress. I knew I was putting this off for a reason. I also did the t-stat the other day and cleaned up my headlights

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

:yikes:

Prices for OEM shocks/struts for this car are bonkers. So I picked up a complete set of passive units for $130. Who needs fully-functioning CVRSS, anyways? :frogc00l:

Spent yesterday afternoon wrestling the rears in place. Now I get a much smoother ride, slightly less sag and significantly less shaking during hard braking. The front struts would be on today's agenda, but I've had a few people warn me against dicking around with spring compressors. Next time, I'll save myself the trouble and get quick struts.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GOD IS BED posted:

Pulled apart my Civic's distributor to try to fix the intermittent stalling issue, and found a small fragment of magnet inside. Pulled it out and cleaned some contacts and it's running fairly smooth and hasn't died on me so far. Fingers crossed this fixes it.

:stare:

Replace that distributor ASAP. Honda distributors have always had really weird failure modes...

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Honda distributors are so annoying that I've had a spare one in the trunk for the last ~8 years of driving 6th gen civics.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I haven't had too much trouble with the Integra, the OE one lasted 15-ish years. However I learned that you don't want to cheap out on a replacement. I got a mystery manufacturer eBay replacement which worked well enough for a few years. It still hesitated from time to time but I assumed there was a weird ground issue or something since the previous distributor did the same thing.

One day my wife called me. The car had died in the middle of traffic and absolutely would not restart. Some very nice passers-by helped her push it into a parking lot and I got it towed back to the house. I opened the distributor to see if anything was amiss, and I noticed it was spinning freely even though it was still connected to the engine. I feared the worst, like a snapped camshaft or something, but no - I pulled the distributor off and the two "teeth" that lock into the camshaft had sheared all the way off. Probably had been a little funky for a while.

I popped for a Duralast (twice as much as the eBay unit but still way less than OE), popped it on and the car has been running like a scalded dog ever since. No more missing or hesitation either.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Panty Saluter posted:

I popped for a Duralast (twice as much as the eBay unit but still way less than OE), popped it on and the car has been running like a scalded dog ever since. No more missing or hesitation either.

Honestly I'd feel better just eating the OEM cost for certain parts. I'd expect that Duralast part to last maybe five years before it fails, if their alternators are anything to go by.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Honestly I'd feel better just eating the OEM cost for certain parts. I'd expect that Duralast part to last maybe five years before it fails, if their alternators are anything to go by.

I will always replace distributors in B and D series engines with an OEM one. I’d rather go with a used OEM than any parts store brand. My turbo civic had a junkyard OEM distributor that lasted ~5 years (and is probably still working with the new owner of the car) at 500+ horsepower. The eBay/parts store ones always have lovely bearings and fail quickly if you rev the car out at all.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well maybe I got lucky, so far so good :shrug:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Panty Saluter posted:

I haven't had too much trouble with the Integra, the OE one lasted 15-ish years. However I learned that you don't want to cheap out on a replacement. I got a mystery manufacturer eBay replacement which worked well enough for a few years. It still hesitated from time to time but I assumed there was a weird ground issue or something since the previous distributor did the same thing.

One day my wife called me. The car had died in the middle of traffic and absolutely would not restart.

My Integra started acting odd - tach was jumpy and it was definitely missing when the tach would act up. I had a complete head with distributor, but couldn't break one of the bolts loose on the distributor, so I chucked the head into the trunk and headed to a friend's. I had also stripped the poo poo out of the screws holding the ignitor (which was the likely issue). :argh:

I made it about a mile away from his house before it wouldn't break ~10 mph. It wouldn't even idle by the time I hit his driveway. And we rounded off the bolt I couldn't break loose. Solution? Unbolt the bearing cap that the distributor bolted to, swap the distributor (with bearing cap) from the spare head. Redneck as hell fix, but it worked.

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Honestly I'd feel better just eating the OEM cost for certain parts. I'd expect that Duralast part to last maybe five years weeks before it fails, if their alternators are anything to go by.

FTFY if you're talking about Duralast starters and alternators.

But yeah, like doogle said... used OEM or new OEM for that kind of stuff. Especially on something that can easily take out your timing belt when it seizes (IIRC this was a big issue with factory distributors on early F series Hondas? The 4th gen Accord F series, not the S2k F series...).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Went tailgating for the first time in a long time, and also the last time for a long time. We used to take this truck every Sunday game for years, but I had some hiccups when I took the motor out and attempted fuel injection. This winter it'll get more pretty with some fresh bodywork. The weather was so nice though I felt like we could trust it, and it performed amibly. I had it up to 65 MPH, and in and out of traffic no problem.

And honestly you can't beat a flatbed for tailgating.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I almost forgot! I was watching some people with a small fire going when I realized their little camp stove was leaking gas and they were desperatly trying to put it out. I ran over with the fire extinguisher I keep in the cab and sprayed it down, and we got the fuel canister off when it was out. I was happy to help and also kind of hoping they'd kick me a few bucks for the extinguisher but I wasn't going to push it.

The other bright side is I know know how much extinguishing you can get from a little one pound one, and that a 6ish year old extinguisher still works fine. Honestly I was due for a new one anyway and now I can get a bigger one more apt to put out a truck fire.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Not my ride, but my Mom's 2005 Toyota Sienna:
She'd had it in for something and they said her front lower ball joints needed to be replaced.

So replaced those. In the process of replacing them heard a rather obnoxious high pitch noise from the front passenger side.
Found that the clips on the brake pads were not quite the right size and must have gotten knocked a little loose so were now singing loudly.
Then found on the other side that the brake caliper pins were seized (pins on the noisy side were fine, but I did add grease).

The pin holes in the caliper brackets cleaned up without issue and looked fine.

Installed new brake pad clips (of appropriate size), new ball joints, new caliper bracket boots and pins.
One of the bolts that came out of the old ball joint on the driver side was a little fuckered so a new M12-1.25 was in order.
Everything seems to be fine. It's 200,000 miles in and still running strong.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

StormDrain posted:

I almost forgot! I was watching some people with a small fire going when I realized their little camp stove was leaking gas and they were desperatly trying to put it out. I ran over with the fire extinguisher I keep in the cab and sprayed it down, and we got the fuel canister off when it was out. I was happy to help and also kind of hoping they'd kick me a few bucks for the extinguisher but I wasn't going to push it.

Did they at least say thanks?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Oh yeah they did and were thankful. Really anything more that I can say will make me seem sour, I was happy to help. I don't know what could have happened if the fire raged on, either an explosion or nothing I guess?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I removed a thing:

and found a hole where I didn't want one:

and then made the hole bigger, but cleaner:

Next step is to weld in patches, POR-15 certain parts, seam seal, then weld the brace back in. May have to unbolt that upper door hinge to weld properly.
Only other actual cancer in the car, besides a small bit in the other side of the cowl I've already repaired, is in the right rear by the muffler, under the (formerly leaking) antenna, and at the top of the right rear wheel arch, for some reason. Possibly related to the lower quarter rust, since the same moisture from the antenna leak could probably make it up there. The rear quarter will need an entire lower section below the rub strip line - it was 98% Bondo when I found it.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

This weekend I ruined my ride having a shitfuck of fun. Took it on the Tennessee Gambler 500 and completed all 10 waypoints in a 2wd, open diff Tracker with no power steering and $48.88 walmart street tires from Douglas.

Now it's time to fix the everything and manual swap it, as it's puking ATF and oil, and I'm sick of it having 3 speeds of slushbox. That said, this car is/was a truly fantastic experience I will never forget.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That rules

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

spouse posted:

This weekend I ruined my ride having a shitfuck of fun. Took it on the Tennessee Gambler 500 and completed all 10 waypoints in a 2wd, open diff Tracker with no power steering and $48.88 walmart street tires from Douglas.

Now it's time to fix the everything and manual swap it, as it's puking ATF and oil, and I'm sick of it having 3 speeds of slushbox. That said, this car is/was a truly fantastic experience I will never forget.

Trackers/Sidekicks loving rule at all times, forever. This is rad as hell.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Those lemon 4x4 rally races are awesome. My buddy and I thought of doing one but I've already got expensive hobbies. Plus fixing my car and dirt bike consume all of my mechanical brain/will power at the moment.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Verman posted:

Those lemon 4x4 rally races are awesome. My buddy and I thought of doing one but I've already got expensive hobbies. Plus fixing my car and dirt bike consume all of my mechanical brain/will power at the moment.

It's about as cheap as it gets for "motorsport" if you can call it that, but I hear you. And it's cheating if you bring a 4x4. Find a crown vic or civic, buy a $100 lift kit and throw on some chinese mud tires. poo poo's rad, and I've learned there are few greater joys than going down a trail faster than a built jeep on 35's in your little spraypainted shitbox.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

spouse posted:

The Gambler went on my bucket list a short while ago, and I've got a buddy on board already. Just need a job with time off...

spouse posted:

It's about as cheap as it gets for "motorsport" if you can call it that, but I hear you. And it's cheating if you bring a 4x4. Find a crown vic or civic, buy a $100 lift kit and throw on some chinese mud tires. poo poo's rad, and I've learned there are few greater joys than going down a trail faster than a built jeep on 35's in your little spraypainted shitbox.

...and that's pretty much my plan.
Definitely leaning toward Crown Vic, possibly with a ute conversion. Other options are an FC RX-7 (ute), Fiero-kart, Vette-kart, or a lifted minivan. I kind of like the minivan idea for the camping aspect. A jacked-up Caravan would be hilarious.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Today, I worked on my fun car. I got a lithium powersport battery from work for free, so it went into the race car. Had to do some manipulating to get a bracket in place, but it's in and secure, and I just shaved 25 pounds off.
Of course, as I park the car, the wiring for the horn got pulled out, so I went ahead and got prepped to relocate the horn to the dash. Of course, I have to wait for a horn button to come in, because the previous horn was a house doorbell electrical taped to the removable wheel. :rolleyes:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I did several little dumb things on my family hauler. Peeled off the Amsoil sticker, chased the license plate holes with a tap and drilled and tapped one of the holes that had a bolt broken off, removed the jesus fish residue from the rear hatch, and removed the radio to replace it with an Android Auto one. I did give up the CD library function where the PO had recorded some Christian jams, sadly.

I prepped the adapter harness last night, and was feeling pretty goddamn smug when I hadn't forgotten to add a single bit of heat shrink before soldering the wires. :smuggo: Then I realized I left the steering wheel controls module still connected to my PC since it needed flashed, and there were about 5 wires on there that needed fed in. :doh:

MMMMMM HUMBLE PIE. I got it all connected today and found a couple issues that pissed me off though. Crutchfield sent the wrong antenna adapter (can't remember the last time I listened to the radio but would be nice to have),

...and the steering wheel controls don't work for a couple of the buttons even though all the instructions were followed. Going to have to call them and see what can be done on both counts, but I really don't want to take it all apart again. Only broke a couple clips and the fit and finish of the double DIN panel is a bit poo poo but it'll do. Didn't get a finished picture, haven't even peeled the plastic sheet off the front yet.

Oh, and found out the clunk on the front end is a worn ball joint. Ordered the whole control arm for 3x the cost because :effort: of messing with a rusty ball joint. That's next weeks job.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

3x the cost, but 1/10 of the effort (unless you have to compress the spring, then it's 1/4 of the effort).

I always just go for both control arms now - I figure both are equally worn, and the bushings are probably pretty well done by the point the ball joints are worn out.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Got my fancy new intake installed. Sounds more or less stock in normal to moderate driving, but as soon as you hit the hot cam it turns into a demented metallic howl :getin:

It was pretty easy other than a couple of hard to reach bolts. Also the stock hose clamps use a 5.5mm/7/32" hex bolt, apparently. 1/4" too big, 3/16" too small, 5mm too small, 6mm too big. :wtc: Honda

Also the remaining plastic clips failed after being removed and replaced and the fender liner fell out at speed. The replacement is enroute from Rockauto :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

STR posted:

3x the cost, but 1/10 of the effort (unless you have to compress the spring, then it's 1/4 of the effort).

I always just go for both control arms now - I figure both are equally worn, and the bushings are probably pretty well done by the point the ball joints are worn out.

Other side was still tight so I left it for now. Worst case is I'm out another alignment if it goes soon. Was surprised to see this at 78k, but Michigan roads.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of control arms...

Ball joint boot was basically torn off, I think I know EXACTLY how it happened but grandma isn't exactly flush with cash so I'll eat the cost.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Replaced the entire suspension (bushings too) on our 84 Rugger and goddamn does it demand so much effort. I did this once before on an 85, but this time I was armed with better tools and more wisdom but it still soaked up 16~ hours of my time split over two days. No lift, at home, with hand tools.

Before

After

Swedish leaf springs and Indonesian bushings with Poland absorbers sold by a shop in the U.K. and sent to me, the dude in the USA that insists on daily driving a 36 year old turbo diesel soft top SUV imported from Japan :getin:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

While you were dicking with the suspension anyways, you shoulda slammed it.

Here goes round 2, i guess.

No side windows makes it feel tanky as all hell, but whatever. gonna be super fuckin inauspicious for stealth camping though.

thing is waaaaaaaaay lighter, and way less draggy than the one the crackheads dumped

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 20, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Aren't you like 6'20"? Doesn't even look like a long bed. People might notice the legs sticking out the tailgate.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Aren't you like 6'20"? Doesn't even look like a long bed. People might notice the legs sticking out the tailgate.

That's an 8 foot box, giving me nearly 15 inches of bonus space

I kind of want to order :catdrugs: flake vinyl from china, but i also want it to blend in and not hit 300,000 degrees in there, so i'll probably just paint everything boring rear end work truck white.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mounted up some Maxxis RC1s to test this weekend, the 255/40/17 I got has their new compound that is only available in this one size, so that should be cool.

Also cut a new front splitter, threw my winged trunk lid back on, changed the oil, safety wired the oil filter with a hose clamp, stuck new Hawk HT10 pads in the rear of the car, and did a bolt check. First event since May is this weekend at Chuckwalla.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Doing suspension this weekend. Already had to buy a hackzall, blades, and yellow propane. Rust can gargle my nuts.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Minto Took posted:

Doing suspension this weekend. Already had to buy a hackzall, blades, and yellow propane. Rust can gargle my nuts.

Good call. Be prepared to smoke some bushings

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You missed small shaped charges. Might need those, especially if you’re in the rust belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
A Dremel and cutoff wheels can get into really small spaces.