Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mr-Spain posted:

Probably filled with water or somesuch for the "test".

It's also being pulled towards the wall and not running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I wonder if they continue to pull it towards the wall after impact.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If it's anything like the setup I've seen the Mythbusters use, the cable is designed to break away at impact. Otherwise, the force of the impact will also be felt by the device pulling the vehicle.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Don't they have it timed or calculated so that the car is basically coasting the last 50 ft or so? ie. the cable stops pulling once it's up to speed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You can hear the pulling machinery spinning down right after the impact. I think there is something I'm the track which disconnects the cable a few feet before impact.

Hyundai and Kia seem to fill the cheap but reasonably "reliable" category. Inflation adjusted their base models are the equivalent of $9k in 1996.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Neif posted:

At 5:20 there is a really clear view of the fuel tank rupturing and fuel going everywhere. I'm surprised there wasn't a fireball, I guess cars these days are made up of more inert materials then in the past to prevent an ignition source for the fuel.

Mr-Spain posted:

Probably filled with water or somesuch for the "test".

veedubfreak posted:

It's also being pulled towards the wall and not running.

Gasoline is also lovely at igniting. You can flick matches and cigarettes into gasoline with disappointing results.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think the cable connections are tension based. As long as it's being accelerated, it stays hooked up. When it reaches speed and the equipment stops pulling, the tension lets off the cable and it disconnects.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Gasoline is also lovely at igniting. You can flick matches and cigarettes into gasoline with disappointing results.

Only until it approaches an air-fuel ratio of 14.7. :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm no wideband O2 sensor, but it looked like the gaping hole in the gas tank was running a little rich.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Neif posted:

At 5:20 there is a really clear view of the fuel tank rupturing and fuel going everywhere. I'm surprised there wasn't a fireball, I guess cars these days are made up of more inert materials then in the past to prevent an ignition source for the fuel.

That's loving classic Pinto heritage right there. :haw:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Crotch Fruit posted:

That's loving classic Pinto heritage right there. :haw:

That picture never gets old.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Safety Dance posted:

You are wrong and you should feel bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w09IY73oVjE

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Should have used diesel instead.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I had a series 1 tdi v70, i think idle in 5th was about 25mph.

Another car i should never have got rid of.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cakefool posted:

Another car i should never have got rid of.

This is how I feel about every car, because I always get rid of them right when I get used to their type of problems, and trade them for a new set.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hey, that's how my grandfather lost all of his hair and most of the skin on his face and forearms :toot:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Safety Dance posted:

Not really. It is pretty drat good at igniting - I've done about 50 gallons worth of experimental test studies on the fact, in 1-2 cup increments :v:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 220 days!)

kastein posted:

Not really. It is pretty drat good at igniting - I've done about 50 gallons worth of experimental test studies on the fact, in 1-2 cup increments :v:

It takes Arnold to make diesel spontaneously combust, though..

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

West SAAB Story posted:

It takes Arnold to make diesel spontaneously combust, though..
I wonder if it would work in a fire piston?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 220 days!)

That is not a Kindle Fire, good sir.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

InitialDave posted:

I wonder if it would work in a fire piston?

if it has a compression ratio similar to that of a diesel engine I don't see why it wouldn't.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

When I was a kid, a guy in my neighborhood did some work and got grease all over his ATV. So he wiped it down with gasoline. With the garage door closed. With a natural gas furnace in it.

Blew the door off, almost died.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Some paper I read claimed that the absolute majority of post-crash fires in cars are caused by ignition of the wiper fluid.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Some paper I read claimed that the absolute majority of post-crash fires in cars are caused by ignition of the wiper fluid.

Jokes on them, I run straight water in mine. :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Not in north america. -45*c washer fluid is at worst 50/50 water/methanol which isn't flamable.

I got some washer fluid at a gas station in eastern Europe that came in a metal bag and was 85% methanol. You could smell it every time you hit the washer fluid. that would almost definitely ignite in a crash.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I honestly thought you were having a laugh when I first read this.

Powershift posted:

Not in north america. -45*c washer fluid is at worst 50/50 water/methanol which isn't flamable.

I got some washer fluid at a gas station in eastern Europe that came in a metal bag and was 85% methanol. You could smell it every time you hit the washer fluid. that would almost definitely ignite in a crash.

Then I read this, and realised that it wasn't me that was wrong, it was all of you people that live in a place where your loving washer fluid freezes. That is not a place people should live.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

As an Australian in the northern part of the country flammable wiper fluid is a completely foreign notion to me.

blakeg
Feb 14, 2012
Sticky tires, anti lag, good surface

cracked the center, then stipped all the spider gears, surprisingly it jammed up so i pulled the shafts and the rear drive shaft and the torsen center diff actually worked sufficiently for me to limp it to my work 2 minutes away in FWD mode. .
poor diff you have suffered so many launches and 3 times stock power for so long. St185 Gt4 (alltrack i think you us guys call it )

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

tobu posted:

As an Australian in the northern part of the country flammable wiper fluid is a completely foreign notion to me.

I live in Melbourne and I've spent a few years in southern Tasmania and I've never heard of anyone worrying about their wiper fluid freezing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Memento posted:

Then I read this, and realised that it wasn't me that was wrong, it was all of you people that live in a place where your loving washer fluid freezes. That is not a place people should live.

Think about how skinny your washer lines are - driving around at highway speeds at ~28-30 degrees can be all it takes. You don't need to freeze the reservoir solid to make them useless.

Here, photo content!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

blakeg posted:

Sticky tires, anti lag, good surface

cracked the center, then stipped all the spider gears, surprisingly it jammed up so i pulled the shafts and the rear drive shaft and the torsen center diff actually worked sufficiently for me to limp it to my work 2 minutes away in FWD mode. .
poor diff you have suffered so many launches and 3 times stock power for so long. St185 Gt4 (alltrack i think you us guys call it )

Ooh yeah, got two of those. Hadn't yet seen one inside out. (Soon, I'm sure.)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Think about how skinny your washer lines are - driving around at highway speeds at ~28-30 degrees can be all it takes.

But who would want to live in a place where it gets that cold regularly, anyway?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

RandomPauI posted:

I remember taking flack for my owning a 2004 Saturn Ion but honestly the only issues I've had with it were either related to the recall or were related to my getting into auto accidents which destroyed the plastic bumpers/mirrors/etc. Are there any cheap, reliable auto brands anymore?

I have an 06 Ion, it's been trouble free except for the serpentine belt breaking right at 100k, and the plastic trim behind the windows (on the outside of the doors) breaking off. One has been replaced, the other gets ordered as soon as I get paid (which should be in an hour or two).

The newer Focus and Fiesta are at the top of my own list, if you're looking for something fairly new. There's still clean Ions out there (mine is in excellent shape aside from tire shops loving up the alloy wheels, and has low miles for an 06), and they're pretty drat cheap (I still owe far more than mine is worth though :sigh: ). Boss has an 04 Ion 1 sedan that's never left him stranded, and like mine, still has the original battery (but it has structural rust, since he's from Michigan, and just moved here last year). There's also the Pontiac Vibe, which is essentially a stretched Toyota Corolla with a Pontiac body/interior (mechanically it's a Corolla, and built in the same plant). The Pontiac badge knocks a bit of value off.

The newest Hyundais and Kias are a really good value, and surprisingly good, though at least on Kias, the 100k warranty reverts to 36k once it leaves the original owner's hands.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Memento posted:

Don't worry, even when the .45*C stuff does freeze, it doesn't freeze solid, so usually doesn't damage the lines or anything. it turns slushy and can still move in the line.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Southern hemisphere problems: certain kinds of washer additive promote the growth of an algae or bacteria (not sure which) in the bottle which blocks up the sprayer pump intake mesh.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I call this one "Sagebrush and the Magical Disappearing Cush Drive"

:psyduck:

Fortunately there doesn't seem to be any damage to the metal, and with new rubbers it's running fine. I started noticing some snatchiness in the drivetrain about 200 miles ago and welp

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:catstare: I have never even heard of that happening.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Memento posted:

Extreme cold does funny things to cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIsG_8TVokw

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

DELETED posted:

Extreme cold does funny things to cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIsG_8TVokw

Was the transmission fluid frozen? :psyduck:
Those are some horrible noises coming out of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Was the transmission fluid frozen? :psyduck:
Those are some horrible noises coming out of that.

Not quite frozen, but about the viscosity of tar. Enough that the drag on the transmission layshaft is enough to stall the engine in neutral the first time he lets the clutch out.