Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

xthetenth posted:

That much memory bandwidth means memory speed isn't going to be a bottleneck period. However you don't need all of that bandwidth most/all of the time. It looks like Fury's being held back by something else, while the NV cards are better balanced and avoid the bottleneck that's holding Fury back. Either something's wrong with the drivers or something can't keep up with the rest of Fury. Overall though HBM's major speed boost was by letting them put more power to the rest of the card, not by taking memory bandwidth from sufficient to overkill.

Yeah, something odd is happening with the Fury's memory bandwidth, look at the numbers here. Why is it only getting 387GB/s with a highly compressible solid black texture? And only 333GB/s on the incompressible one? The 980 Ti gets 364GB/s on the black texture and 234GB/s on the colored one, so the texture compression used on the Fury is pretty terrible but more importantly the Fury should be getting around 512GB/s and it's maxing out at only 387GB/s, something is going wrong here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

BurritoJustice posted:

You could overclock two of them at max power target (275w) and overclock your CPU too with power to spare.

What do you figure the MSI 980 Ti Lightning's going to draw at its own max power target given that it will have a custom PCB? Can the 780 Ti Lightning's precedent be used to answer this?

Rephrasing. What kind of power draw should I shoot for on a custom PCB 980 Ti if I have a 660W power supply (a good one, Seasonic plat) and also overclock my CPU?

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 26, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

DaNzA posted:

I guess the other question is how come nvidia can beat the HBM cards with that much more bandwidth using traditional GDDR5? and does that mean there's going to be a noticeable leap for them when they get HBM2 onto their Pascal next year.
AMD tried to make a consumer market GPU that was good at gaming and GPGPU/compute stuff while NV focused their consumer market GPU on gaming primarily and GPGPU/compute stuff as a distant second. It worked out in NV's favor that there have been some advances in the sort of math that happens to run well on Maxwell so AMD's efforts on GPGPU/compute also were mooted in the non-pro market. AMD's software tools are still no where near as good as NV's CUDA for the pro market so they've had little to no success there which is what is really hurting AMD's profits in card sales IMO.

edit: and yes something is out of whack with Fiji's performance too, I'm still hoping its drivers because if its a hardware problem it probably will never be fixed.

NV should get quite a nice bump in performance when they go to HBM2 and 14/16nm processes. A 40-50% performance improvement over the 980 in games would be my WAG. More would be quite doable if they're willing to get the GPU have a Hawaii-esque TDP. Again, its a WAG, but I don't think its unreasonable given how much transistors 14/16nm will let them cram on 1 die + the bandwidth improvements of HBM2.

AMD's Arctic Islands is supposedly following in NV's footsteps (ie. focused on gaming and not GPGPU/compute) and will also have HBM2 and 14/16nm processes to work with. So long as they don't make any silly mistakes there is no reason not to expect them to have a GPU that is at least competitive with NV's Pascal.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 26, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

What do you figure the MSI 980 Ti Lightning's going to draw at its own max power target given that it will have a custom PCB? Can the 780 Ti Lightning's precedent be used to answer this?

Rephrasing. What kind of power draw should I shoot for on a custom PCB 980 Ti if I have a 660W power supply (a good one, Seasonic plat) and also overclock my CPU?

If you are using a haswell cpu, expect ~400-500w load at the wall. So 350-450w actual psu load.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

It depends how high MSI sets the power target in the BIOS, but if past releases are anything to go off I'd imagine the 300-350w range minimum. Of course this is only if you also increase voltages and clock speeds to actually draw that much.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Oddly enough I managed to get bites on my waterblocks before the cards. Trying to decide if I want to sell my Titan X and get one of those HoF 3 pin water 980 ti cards ><

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DaNzA posted:

I guess the other question is how come nvidia can beat the HBM cards with that much more bandwidth using traditional GDDR5? and does that mean there's going to be a noticeable leap for them when they get HBM2 onto their Pascal next year.

xthetenth posted:

That much memory bandwidth means memory speed isn't going to be a bottleneck period. However you don't need all of that bandwidth most/all of the time. It looks like Fury's being held back by something else, while the NV cards are better balanced and avoid the bottleneck that's holding Fury back. Either something's wrong with the drivers or something can't keep up with the rest of Fury. Overall though HBM's major speed boost was by letting them put more power to the rest of the card, not by taking memory bandwidth from sufficient to overkill.

The 20nm fiasco probably hit AMD very hard, being area-limited. We know that Fiji has an area of 596 mm^2. We also know that only an additional 4mm^2 of silicon could have been placed on the interposer. (which brings the total up to 600mm^2, a nice round number. I think it's significant.) Which probably means that AMD's original design spec for 20nm Fiji was not planned to take up every last scrap of spare area on the interposer.

My take on this is that had the 20nm transition gone off without any hitches, Fiji would be a smaller chip in terms of physical area, but the smaller process would mean that they would have more room to have even more transistors than it presently has, filling out all the features that we find lacking in it. (ROP count, HDMI 2.0, etc.)

I think that what we see as "top of the line" Fiji XT right now is a cut-down version of a much larger and beefier chip, limited by physical die space. Sort of like Tonga before it, there's a full-fat version lurking somewhere that can't be built on 28nm and have it fit on an interposer. Hell, maybe that's where Tonga came from, AMD having to chop bits off of Fiji XT to get it down to size. (I'm joking on that last part. That's not true, I made that up.)

I think they're still grappling with the ramifications of TSMC making GBS threads the bed, is what they're doing, and that the Fury X is AMD impressively making the best of a bad situation.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 26, 2015

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
fiji likely has severe yield issues, a combination of being huge and using HBM + interposers

GPUs have been stuck at 28nm because mobile drives process tech, so the higher perf processes gpus like are not really developed as quickly. when you sell a rounding errors worth of cards compared to mobile SoCs, you aren't usually catered to

28nm is also a local minimum on cost per transistor; iirc 20nm and "16nm" are actually more expensive right now

once that changes and there's a 14/16 High Perf process out there then we'll see die shrunk GPUs

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
TDR hotfix will be published today:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5108246&postcount=251

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Malcolm XML posted:

GPUs have been stuck at 28nm because mobile drives process tech, so the higher perf processes gpus like are not really developed as quickly. when you sell a rounding errors worth of cards compared to mobile SoCs, you aren't usually catered to
I don't think this is really true, I think TSMC is working as fast as they can to get 20nm ready, it's just MUCH more difficult than any of the previous process transitions they've done. Even Intel has run into serious difficulties with manufacturing below 20nm, and they've been a process node ahead of the rest of the industry for some time.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am loving the new 980ti for 1440p sweetness. Going from 30 fps on medium to 60 fps on ultra in Witcher 3 and GTAV is a great change. I had considered waiting for pascal, but there are plenty of games I have to enjoy before then. GTAV, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and so on. Pascal could conceivably be 12-18 months away. I already shipped off my old 760 to one of my friends to use in his girlfriend's computer.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 26, 2015

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
An interesting Fury X review from JayzTwoCents.

Overclocked Fury X vs Overclocked reference 980 ti vs Overclocked 3rd party 980 ti's vs EVGA 970 SSC SLI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEwLtqbBw90

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 26, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
His conclusion is a fury is good if you are going to overclock it but would not over clock a 980ti.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

Overclocked Fury X vs Overclocked reference 980 ti vs Overclocked 3rd party 980 ti's vs EVGA 970 SSC SLI.

Wtf it's like under the 980 (non-Ti) in several cases, even OC'd. It competes in Metro but who even plays metro?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ak Gara posted:

I didn't really hear the noise he was bitching about until I turned the volume up. Apparently I'm not the only one and he's kinda mad about that :v:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

This guy did a better job recording it

https://youtu.be/XfyQzroYnrI

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Should I hold out for the non-reference cooling 980 tis to come back in stock, or are the reference cooler cards OK? I don't care about overclocking.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

d3rt posted:

Should I hold out for the non-reference cooling 980 tis to come back in stock, or are the reference cooler cards OK? I don't care about overclocking.

I have two ref titan x cards and honestly the noise doesn't bother me. The nvidia stock cooler noise is very easy on the ears. That being said it will be louder than non ref coolers.

You could also always install a evga acx cooler later.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Alereon posted:

I don't think this is really true, I think TSMC is working as fast as they can to get 20nm ready, it's just MUCH more difficult than any of the previous process transitions they've done. Even Intel has run into serious difficulties with manufacturing below 20nm, and they've been a process node ahead of the rest of the industry for some time.

i strongly suspect that tsmc skips 20nm and goes directly to 16/14nm since 20nm missed the mark

samsung is shipping millions of phones w/ a 16/14nm SoC

apple a9 will likely be 16/14nm

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

d3rt posted:

Reference 980 Ti sounds good to me. I only snagged a hybrid to get a bit more overclocking headroom.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

d3rt posted:

The EVGA ACX cards aren't that hard to get. Put an auto-notify in on the evga site, or watch newegg. They come up pretty frequently. They aren't as quite as good as the Gigabyte or MSI customs, but I would totally take one over a reference blower.

The Gigabyte and MSI cards with custom pcbs are harder to find, and get snapped up pretty fast still. The Asus version still has yet to be spotted in the wild.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Filthy Monkey posted:

The EVGA ACX cards aren't that hard to get. Put an auto-notify in on the evga site, or watch newegg. They come up pretty frequently. They aren't as quite as good as the Gigabyte or MSI customs, but I would totally take one over a reference blower.

The Gigabyte and MSI cards with custom pcbs are harder to find, and get snapped up pretty fast still. The Asus version still has yet to be spotted in the wild.

Woot, looks like I got my waterblocks sold, should make unloading the 980s easier.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Bleh Maestro posted:

Wtf it's like under the 980 (non-Ti) in several cases, even OC'd. It competes in Metro but who even plays metro?

Whoa that 980 Classified must be totally "overclocked", big boy Nvidia bully tactics making AMD cards look slow :(

d3rt posted:

I would not buy a reference 650$ card unless you really need the blower to push out hot air (SLI) or for watercooling mods.
Wait for the MSI 6G or whatever EVGA S(S)C+ ACX+2.0 there is.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 26, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I think this slipped under the radar here, since both English-speaking review sites that use thermal imaging inexplicably left the cover on:

The Fury Xes VRMs are going thermonuclear even at stock settings. Overclockers dream indeed :stonklol:

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

repiv posted:

I think this slipped under the radar here, since both English-speaking review sites that use thermal imaging inexplicably left the cover on:

The Fury Xes VRMs are going thermonuclear even at stock settings. Overclockers dream indeed :stonklol:

Dammmn. You'd think they could have / should have just put an actual block on it then to cover the GPU and VRM instead of just that little copper pipe.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
The pipe should be plenty though. I'd first assume there was something wrong with the way its fit to the VRM or the thermal paste wasn't applied properly. The latter issue in particular is something that has plagued many cards over the years.

edit: \/\/\/\/\/\/\/Yuuup. Whatever process they're going to use for GPU's will have to be very different from what they use for cellphones if they're going to try and keep improving performance over the previous generation.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 26, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Malcolm XML posted:

i strongly suspect that tsmc skips 20nm and goes directly to 16/14nm since 20nm missed the mark

samsung is shipping millions of phones w/ a 16/14nm SoC

apple a9 will likely be 16/14nm

While I don't know whether or not you're right on the 16/14nm guess, I will say that there is a difference between high-power and low-power processes on a given node. the fact that they can make a tiny cellphone SoC with 14nm doesn't mean they could also build a 250W GPU chip that takes up 600mm^2.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

While I don't know whether or not you're right on the 16/14nm guess, I will say that there is a difference between high-power and low-power processes on a given node. the fact that they can make a tiny cellphone SoC with 14nm doesn't mean they could also build a 250W GPU chip that takes up 600mm^2.

that's my point, we're mobile process driven and everyone seems to have skipped 20nm since only mobile cpus have the volume needed to justify such a quick and expensive transition

so 14nm is gonna be the next point at which high end asic makers are ok w/ the increasingly expensive bs that it takes to make tiny transistors, so the foundries will invest in more than just mobile processes

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

repiv posted:

Lol this sealed it for me. I was staying as positive as I could about the Fury X but this is the straw that breaks the back (again for me). I hate cards running that freaking hot

Not exactly apples to apples of course, but for a little reference the effect even the "least efficient" water cooling did to the 290x

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 27, 2015

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Even with a cut down chip or whatever that doesn't bode well for the Fury non-X, right? How is air going to cool it sufficiently?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
literally boiling the water, love it

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Does the water block cover the vrms? If not, then the Fury non x will be better off. If those are the temps with a water block though...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Lol this sealed it for me. I was staying as positive as I could about the Fury X but this is the straw that breaks the back (again for me). I hate cards running that freaking hot

Not exactly apples to apples of course, but for a little reference the effect even the "least efficient" water cooling did to the 290x

I'm gonna be laughing my rear end off if this goes the way of the 290x/390x, where unfucking the cooling makes a significant difference in the performance of the card.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Fauxtool posted:

literally boiling the water, love it

Nah, it's under too much pressure if they did it right.

Damnit AMD, this isn't what anyone meant by explosive gaming.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Does the water block cover the vrms?

There is a copper tube with water flowing through it that is supposed to be going over the VRM's to cool them. Should be plenty good to do the job so something is wrong there.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

There is a copper tube with water flowing through it that is supposed to be going over the VRM's to cool them. Should be plenty good to do the job so something is wrong there.

:|

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I thought it was a really cool bit of engineering, but I guess it doesn't count if it doesn't work :saddowns:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

It does mean that we may get non-reference fury Xes :ironicat:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
What if the VRM's are specced to run at high temperature in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
They certainly could, and should, be. They did that with the R9 290/X too. 100C is pretty drat hot though for any IC component. Especially one that is supposed to be water cooled.