Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember as a kid, when we went to the cottage my mom rented up in the canadian shield, my step-father would put in his tape of "Blue Sky Mine" and we'd sing along to "King of the Mountain".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuC_k51NUqU

(Cause we were going to the mountains of Northern Quebec, you see)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Was the midnight oil dude actually good at politics

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/805073831450841088

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The labor party was a mess back in the 2000s. He struck me as competent enough but the labor party has been a clusterfuck for about 20 years now.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

FirstAidKite posted:

Was the midnight oil dude actually good at politics

he was a total party stooge, it was very strange

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What is the labor party comparable to in terms of american politics?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

FirstAidKite posted:

What is the labor party comparable to in terms of american politics?

Democrats, liberals are the republicans

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

2000 was around when labor started to drift pretty hard to the right, they used to be a much more decent centre left party but they're pretty similar to the democrats

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Puppy Time posted:

Watching it, I'm kind of puzzled that he finds a thing that he explicitly says is probably a mistake from the devs, and then goes on a long ramble about how it reveals that Sarah is a horrible untrustworthy person anyway.

And his habit of overcomplicating things is definitely still manifesting.

I was annoyed by that too but didn't mention it because I didn't want to be too negative. Like, the reason I get so worked up about how much I don't like Night Mind's bad traits is exactly because I think when he's good he's really good, and it's kind of sad to me that I every two out of three of his videos obnoxious.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Sarah is Missing is a complete mess, the timeline is supposed to be modern day but also posits that you are dumb enough to believe a JARVIS tier ai just so happens to be on a regular girl's cell phone. Jumpscare for the initial reboot, you somehow solve this in a matter of hours, for some reason the cops are not involved even though an ai that is essentially a person would do that immediately. Or the shoddy use of ripping off other horror series and a ton of plot holes in the writing department. This game needs a massive revamp in all departments, make IRIS either a complete robot with subtle hints of being smart or no smarts at all because she solves the mystery for you, and that just ruins the detective experience. Either they dumb down IRIS or turn the setting in a sci fi future to make her compatible with the setting, or hell make it so that someone is texting you and is wondering where her friend is. Just something that either justifies IRIS' existence or cut her out completely.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
well it is made in like a month by an indie malaysian company so I'm morally obligated to like it, but it's really pretty meh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Testekill posted:

Democrats, liberals are the republicans

They've been more like Roman senators in recent years. :hist101:

The last three Prime Ministers have been just-shy-of-literally backstabbed by their respective political parties to replace them with someone else.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

it's like if a roman senate was run by a bunch of mean girls

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
No discussion of Australian politics is complete without watching former PM Tony Abbott eat a raw onion with the skin on

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

New Breaking Spines episode, this one on "Planet X" by Michael Jan Friedman, the THIRD official Star Trek/X-Men crossover. They really wanted to make this combination work.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
NEW EPISODE - I reviewed a Hungarian Communist Lesbian Movie. This was complicated by the fact that all of the subtitles were out of sync and I could barely find any information about the film in English.

But at least it probably won't be taken down by some trigger-happy copyright strike!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Infamous Sphere posted:

But at least it probably won't be taken down by some trigger-happy copyright strike!

I am a Hungarian Communist lesbian and I have bad news for you....

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I stumbled across and informative series of videos about fighting games and the FGC by Core-A Gaming that I thought was pretty neat.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Lindsey Ellis and Dan Olson talk about if you should go to Film School: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxKwUi78zc

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

BigRed0427 posted:

Lindsey Ellis and Dan Olson talk about if you should go to Film School: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxKwUi78zc

Considering that I started following this thread due to discussions surrounding That Set She Didn't Name, I'm glad she was able to spend some time talking about how ramshackle dangerous, and poorly managed a film set run by the untrained and unprepared can be.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Paladin posted:

Considering that I started following this thread due to discussions surrounding That Set She Didn't Name, I'm glad she was able to spend some time talking about how ramshackle dangerous, and poorly managed a film set run by the untrained and unprepared can be.

I'm assuming she meant one of those "let's get all the critic people in a field and have them do memes" "movies", is there a specifically egregious one?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

I Before E posted:

I'm assuming she meant one of those "let's get all the critic people in a field and have them do memes" "movies", is there a specifically egregious one?

'To Boldly Flee' is the only one of those get-togethers that you could actually argue had 'Sets'. But to be honest, it could be any of them. They were all just cobbled together garbage fires and god did I love them and miss them. :(

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I watched a movie and couldn’t think of anything interesting to say about it, so I changed my mind and reviewed some audio books instead. Here’s my review of the first two books of Nathan Lowell’s Trader Tales series, the story of a kid who takes a job on a space freighter.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Kyle, is your Melancholia review on Youtube? In a Discord chat I moderate, we got to talking about internet critics* and somehow Melancholia came up and I wanted to show them the review, but couldn't find it on your channel. We eventually had to find a pirate upload of it and I felt kinda bad. I showed them your Star Wars Minus Star Wars and Caligari to Hitler videos today to make up for it.

* Campster/Chris/Errant Signal is a member and mentioned that he likes to talk about internet and youtube culture but doesn't get a chance to on his show or any of the podcasts he's on.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jim Sterling did a video about Final Fantasy XV, specifically Square-Enix's plans to update the game post-launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jmja3JqwSw

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Augus posted:

Jim Sterling did a video about Final Fantasy XV, specifically Square-Enix's plans to update the game post-launch

quote:

FFIX, aka the best final fantasy

Wow, I thought body weight was the only thing Jim and I had in common!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Someday I will play FFIX if I can ever get over how much I loving loathed FF8. That piece of poo poo put me off the entire JRPG genre for over a decade.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Infamous Sphere posted:

NEW EPISODE - I reviewed a Hungarian Communist Lesbian Movie. This was complicated by the fact that all of the subtitles were out of sync and I could barely find any information about the film in English.

I had some trouble with out of sync subtitles before, too. If you watch the film in VLC player you can correct the time lag. https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_HowTo/Adjust_subtitle_delay/

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Cubey posted:

Someday I will play FFIX if I can ever get over how much I loving loathed FF8. That piece of poo poo put me off the entire JRPG genre for over a decade.

9 holds up the best of the ps1 final fantasies, imo, it has a really strong aesthetic and surprisingly decent writing

it's definitely nothing like the shitshow that ff8 was

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Except the ebst is objectively (retranslated) FFV. :colbert:

(I was hidden as a splinter all along!)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Except the ebst is objectively (retranslated) FFV. :colbert:

(I was hidden as a splinter all along!)

I mean the best is clearly Tactics but whether that counts is debatable. I've always really liked 4 a lot of the main ones, 6 is also really good and 7 made me get a PS1 after having not given a flying poo poo about that console before then and was worth it. I've not played 5 yet but will get around to it someday, maybe I'll get a cart for my Super Famicom since I'm taking two Japanese language classes next year anyway.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I like to think that 6 was the one that had all the best ideas in it, but 9 is probably the best executed of the series.

And for a series like Final Fantasy, that counts for a lot.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

cat doter posted:

9 holds up the best of the ps1 final fantasies, imo, it has a really strong aesthetic and surprisingly decent writing

it's definitely nothing like the shitshow that ff8 was

One of the reasons why I like FFIX is because it's a throwback to all the older Final Fantasy games, and as result, it ends up being a lot more light-hearted and goofy, making it contrast with VII & VIII. I think one of the reasons why VIII (and some of the other FF games) suffered so much is because it tried to replicate VII's success.

I keep wanting to pick up FFIX on Steam (I've got the PS1 version, but I never finished it, and I don't know if all the discs work), but Square Enix seems reluctant to put it on sale.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ralph the Movie Maker tackles Suicide Squad.
Watch until the end. I will never get tired of his horrifying Zack Snyder face swap.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I can't figure out if his videos are parodies of internet criticism or not.

e: Like they're so good at running with every cliche and trope of internet criticism (the whining about plot holes and continuity, shotgun argumentation in place of any thesis, Two Minutes Hate, etc etc), but they're also half an hour long and the commenters seem to take them seriously? Is this Poe's Law in action?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 13, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You act like ralph is somehow unique in his approach to internet critic vids

I, too, have trouble understanding if the funny video about the bad movie is supposed to be a funny video about a bad movie or just a parody of funny videos about bad movies

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Baka-nin posted:

I had some trouble with out of sync subtitles before, too. If you watch the film in VLC player you can correct the time lag. https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_HowTo/Adjust_subtitle_delay/

Oh neat, thanks! I'll remember that for the future. I was watching in VLC but I didn't know how to re-sync the subs. I attempted to do it in FCP but it didn't work there so...weird viewing experience.

TBH reviewing things with subs is a bit of a pain. Watching them isn't, but reviewing them usually means that I have to manually enter the subs as they don't seem to *stick* to the movie (they're a separate file), so when I put the movie in FCPX I have to retype the subs when necessary. It's not too bad if it's a language I know reasonably well, like German or French, and if they're in sync - but it gets harder when it's a language I don't know at all, like Japanese, or if they're out of sync entirely. I didn't go into how I figured out what went where because it's a bit of a boring detail, but I would subtitle a whole scene just to get a short clip. It was easy enough if the dialogue included a section where somebody said a short phrase that I knew, like "hi" or "police" or "I don't love you" or a sentence containing a word that I knew like "train" or "soldier," but bits like the political discussion were so hard to work out (who's saying what? Am I attaching the right translation to the right bit of dialogue?) that I wasn't really able to include them.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The fetus that reviews movies

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Oh good, it's been a while since we've had a shitfight over the DC cinematic universe

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The DC universe just needs more attractive dudes/dudedettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

Lol at the part where the critic passive-aggressively rants at an image of George Lucas like it was Emmanuel Goldstein.

I mean Jesus, you think people might have gotten over Lucas already, but nope.

• Locked thread