Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
There's no special technique there, right? Just a small brush and time? It looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Small brush and a guy named Kujo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTiwtwn9HM8

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The replacement brush Blick sent me got snapped in half in the mail. So they're sending me *another* one. Let's see if it fares better.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cool, just fix that poo poo up you got a free brush

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Send it to me, I really like short-handled brushes.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Used black lava for the first time and it owns.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

That's what's at the bottom of that camo girl I painted.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

After weeks of dithering and troubleshooting, I finally got down to actual paint with my airbrush, basecoating a Khador BE. I'm in love :stare: :love:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It really does. Excellent product.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Not posted here for a while.

Soooo here we go.

Guild Ball Ratcatchers team

Confrontation, Ophidian Slaves and Ayane

Confrontation, Mid-nor Dwarf, The Puppet Master

Confrontation, Wolfen

Kingdom Death Gold Smoke Knight

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Can thinned enamel paints be stored in plastic?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

dexefiend posted:

A sketch of red urban camo.

Trying to prepare for my Batman Miniatures Scarecrow/Militia guys that will show up this week.

Edit: did a little more work

That camo is incredibly dope. What's the model from?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

mango sentinel posted:

That camo is incredibly dope. What's the model from?

It's the exclusive mini from the USAriadna army box for Infinity.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Dang

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
The GUO is an absolute loving unit. So much fun to paint. Sadly I chickened out of a creative color scheme and went with standard Nurgley green.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

dr_ether posted:

Soooo here we go.

Confrontation, Wolfen

Well I guess the five posters above me are blind and typing via voice recognition software because these are amazing! You should do commissions for official product paintjobs for companies, I’m sick of seeing everything be done by Angel Giraldez.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

dr_ether posted:

Soooo here we go.

Confrontation, Wolfen

Fantastic paint jobs, and a great variety of models.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

This barrel is from Secret Weapon. This is spray primed white and then two coats unthinned Vallejo model color. What is going on.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cat Face Joe posted:

This barrel is from Secret Weapon. This is spray primed white and then two coats unthinned Vallejo model color. What is going on.

It's resin and you didn't wash the mold release off it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SRM posted:

:drat:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Use some Windex to get the paint off. Sand it a little to smooth the 3D printing lines. Wash it, reprime it. Paint.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

SRM posted:

Extremely rude of you to assume I didn't scrub the poo poo out of it.

Philthy posted:

Use some Windex to get the paint off. Sand it a little to smooth the 3D printing lines. Wash it, reprime it. Paint.

I was thinking I should have sanded them a bit but they're such throw away terrain I decided against it.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

Extremely rude of you to assume I didn't scrub the poo poo out of it.

I was thinking I should have sanded them a bit but they're such throw away terrain I decided against it.

Maybe just slather on like vallejo primer with a brush, let it fill in the details and smooth it out some?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Dumb question of the day:

Do you thin your paints for drybrushing?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Deviant posted:

Dumb question of the day:

Do you thin your paints for drybrushing?

Generally no.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah you don't have to at all and I find it easier not to.

On the extreme end, the citadel "dry" paints are a thicker consistency than peanut butter, but the few times I've used them I didn't find the experience to be any different.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Yeah thinning your paint is just going to introduce more moisture into your brush when you load it up which you've then got to try and get off again on the tissue to avoid streakiness. Seems counter-productive.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

thanks

Painted this guy up today, the lines are pretty shaky, but it 's an improvement over my previous work.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

dr_ether posted:

Soooo here we go.

All great paint jobs but I especially like these guys. They look like people who would initially fight the ninja turtles but then it would turn out they're just misunderstood so by the end of the episode they're eating gross pizzas together.

Private_Snafu
Nov 26, 2007
If I’m planning on using ghost tints to candy coat over chrome is using the high gloss primer a must? I already have a bottle of stynylrez black ready to go.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

dr_ether posted:

Soooo here we go.

Confrontation, Wolfen

Fantastic minis aside, what's your lightbox setup? I'm new to them, and would love to see how you got such a clean, colored backdrop.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I just got my Imperial Fist transfers in from Forge World.

I don't know if I can do em :ohdear:

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Duct Tape posted:

Fantastic minis aside, what's your lightbox setup? I'm new to them, and would love to see how you got such a clean, colored backdrop.

I just use these backgrounds printed off. http://corvusminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/cloud-backdrops-for-your-miniature.html

And the light box I use is this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photo-Zect...ywords=lightbox

Plus I use a few other lamps nearby.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Deviant posted:

thanks

Painted this guy up today, the lines are pretty shaky, but it 's an improvement over my previous work.

You give me flashbacks. I painted imperial assault using sorastro's guide and he started with storm troopers. Those little shits were the hardest god drat thing when I was starting and might be the most frustrating thing I ever painted. I think I had to strip the paint off nine of them before I could paint anything passable. White on black is a very cruel color scheme to inflict on new people.

On the plus side they taught me a lot about patience and layering but my sympathy goes out to every new painter getting into legion.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

You give me flashbacks. I painted imperial assault using sorastro's guide and he started with storm troopers. Those little shits were the hardest god drat thing when I was starting and might be the most frustrating thing I ever painted. I think I had to strip the paint off nine of them before I could paint anything passable. White on black is a very cruel color scheme to inflict on new people.

On the plus side they taught me a lot about patience and layering but my sympathy goes out to every new painter getting into legion.

I'm just gonna do them, improve as I go, and play 'em, lousy job be damned. They're def not super crisp or anything.

https://geekandsundry.com/tutorial-how-to-speedpaint-stormtroopers-from-star-wars-legion/ is what i used as a basic guide. The ELF brush she suggests is real good for drybrushing.

It also got me digging through my old toolbox, and I still have a good pot of Devlan Mud. Bidding begins at $1,000! :v:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Deviant posted:

It also got me digging through my old toolbox, and I still have a good pot of Devlan Mud. Bidding begins at $1,000! :v:

why pay a thousand bucks when they still sell it for a couple?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Quick now find a proper replacement for Charadon Granite!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Well, okay then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Huh, I should probably pick up some army painter eh?