Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Loomer posted:

The basic premise is pretty gameable, right? Furious lycanthrope guerrila warfare against Captain Planet villains, hella rad evil spirits, and the cosmic forces of entropy itself! Cue the metal riff!

Yeah, but the basic premise of Vampire is "trying to navigate a horrifyingly decadent and evil undead court while fighting against Bad Guy Vampires" and it didn't exactly end up being that, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, but the basic premise of Vampire is "trying to navigate a horrifyingly decadent and evil undead court while fighting against Bad Guy Vampires" and it didn't exactly end up being that, either.

Was that last part ever really part of the pitch?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JesterOfAmerica posted:

Dark Eras IIRC

Thanks. I'd been hesitating to buy Dark Eras (since I'm not sure I'd want the extra research and higher threshold for player buy-in compared to running a modern game) but I'm glad I did, the lore side of it is incredibly evocative and the little snippets of variant mechanics are cool too.

e: it's even more inconsistent about the mechanics of Angels detecting Demons than the core book is though :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 8, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't want to be a debbie downer, but Cyanide Studio's résumé doesn't inspire much confidence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanide_(company)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

I don't want to be a debbie downer, but Cyanide Studio's résumé doesn't inspire much confidence

I think "2018" is a bit optimistic for the release of the werewolf game here.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Werewolf: the Pro-Cycling

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Styx is a perfectly decent 7/10 game, made more special for being in a genre with very few releases.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

ZearothK posted:

Styx is a perfectly decent 7/10 game, made more special for being in a genre with very few releases.

Styx is aggressively fine, and made more so by how it had a decent story (truthfully, one of my favorites just for what it is). It's sequel, on the other hand, makes me think that was a fluke. I wouldn't hold out hope that Cyanide is going to somehow manage to make a second good-ish game, given its track record.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Blood Bowl games are alright, the things that are annoying about them are Blood Bowl's fault and not Cyanide's.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

While we're on the topic of aggressively okay games, Deathwing is alright. It was a quick flash in the pan, notable mostly for what it isn't than what it is. Also it was optimized about as well as a toddler building an engine block.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

Tribes will follow the same dynamic release plan pioneered by Blood Bowl II. :suicide:

That's not confirmed by the way because they've shown nothing in the way of game play or basic concepts outside of "Werewolves, aroo!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
They haven't even really told us what kind of game this is going to be, right? Other than it's almost assuredly going to have RPG elements?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You’re going to rage in it. The question is when

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Basic Chunnel posted:

our current game is all cousins of the Simmons family: Sofie, Sasha, Skye, and Sonny (plus his daugher Savannah).

A guy named Keith is there too

Tattooed teenage alien fighters from beverly hills ?

(Thats a real show btw.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

So some observations:

- In the Sundered World setting in Dark Eras, it mentions that a Pangaean called the Great Mountain "enslaves a human tribe so that they might build vast and pointless earthworks that pour Essence to hungry earth elementals in the Shadow."

- Later, Mountain is called out alongside Rat and Spider as Pangaeans that were killed by Father Wolf for violating the boundary between the spirit world and the material world. But it's interesting that Mountain is mentioned here in the same breath as Rat and Spider whose deaths, as we know from Werewolf, didn't really take -- they just shattered into Rat and Spider hosts.

- A sidebar mentions that upon Father Wolf's death, some Pangaeans slowly transformed into spirits, while others became "of the Flesh," purely material monsters that were generally wiped out by humans over the course of prehistory.

- Although the Sundered World is mainly a Werewolf / Mage setting, every other splat gets some recognition -- Geist, Changeling, even Mummy gets a callout despite the fact that actual mummies as such haven't been created yet and it's just a sidelong reference to the animal-headed gods -- but there's one notable exception. Demon and the God-Machine are completely absent from this section.

- Conversely, we know from the Beneath the Skin era that by the establishment of Teotihuacan (around 100 BC) the God-Machine was already well-established and demons as we know and recognize them were around (because in Dark Eras Teotihuacan's founding was influenced by Demons trying to create some kind of weapon against or imitation of the God-Machine.) So the emergence of the God-Machine (at least in a form we would recognize) falls somewhere between 5000 BC and 100 BC, after the Sundering and long after the Fall of Atlantis.

- The Sundered World includes "Shards of Time," massive, crystallized remnants of the pre-Fall world that let you see into the past and into alternate timelines. These remnants are slowly but steadily worn away over millennia by Dissonance from Sleepers, being destroyed -- or at least made less common and less obvious, because these are presumably the same pockets of alternate time that crop up regularly in Demon (and which the God-Machine is particularly adept at using.)

- Flowers of Hell suggests that Idigam terrify Demons because they look like nothing so much as infant God-Machines. The God-Machine Chronicle references the moon as the tomb for a powerful Angel, while of course the moon is obviously relevant to Werewolf as Luna and as the prison of the Idigam. This suggests there's some connection between the great Spirit powers and the God-Machine, but it should be noted that the Flowers of Hell sidebar is very much as "demons think this, werewolves think this" in a context where we already know that Werewolves are wrong about their origins (and Dark Eras even spells this out -- Father Wolf is not and was never a spirit, and Luna as his "mate" is almost certainly a simplified / romanticized version of how werewolves were actually created.) So it's quite possible that demons are wrong or only have a fraction of the whole picture.

- We also know from Night Horrors: Wolfsbane that Idigam have been known to desperately try to imitate Pangaeans (in that book, Father Wolf himself) with mixed results.

- Lore of the Forsaken notes that the various alternate forms of werewolves are constantly in existence, they're just not all physically present in the material world at once -- viewing a werewolf in the Shadow and the material world at the same time will show you a superimposed mass of shapes from man to wolf.

- The God-Machine in general is a really weird entity; it's a purely physical being, made up of the emergent properties of actual, tangible Infrastructure, but its servants are ephemeral beings. Moreover, those servants can undergo a (nearly?) unique transformation that allows them to become physical and exist as "humans" but also simultaneously as biomechanical monsters, as well as holding other human (or, potentially, animal) forms in quantum superposition, to be switched between more or less at will.

Taken together, this suggests an origin story for the God-Machine -- it's a shattered Pangaean, akin to the Hosts, but one that fell on the physical side of the physical / spirit divide after the Sundering. Pangaeans use Supernal magic but spirits use Influence, so we know this ability can sort of "devolve" into Fallen forms; for spirits this presumably means Influences, but for a physical being it would mean something pretty much unprecedented -- like, say, occult physics. The God-Machine has a remarkable mastery of time, matter, and energy that is executed entirely by a series of physical "cheats;" it uses immense knowledge of how the world works but has relatively little power to directly effect change. Great Mountain enslaved human beings to power "earth elementals" to act as its servants, bridging the material and ephemeral through the construction of massive physical structures, just like the God-Machine. Through a strange metaphysical accident, its servants (or possibly even its components, in a sense) can break from the Machine and become physical shapeshifters whose other forms exist in quantum superposition -- very much like the relationship between Father Wolf and werewolves.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 8, 2018

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

You’re going to rage in it. The question is when

when you need that last bit of strength on the climb to pass Armstrong

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Hey look what finally dropped: http://theonyxpath.com/one-foot-in-the-grave-geist-2e/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Is the Bound being subject to old age something that the original Geist ruled on one way or the other? If so, is it a change?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is the Bound being subject to old age something that the original Geist ruled on one way or the other? If so, is it a change?

It was never made explicit in 1e as far as I recall.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

GimpInBlack posted:

It was never made explicit in 1e as far as I recall.

It was.

Gist: the Sin-Eaters, p. 173 posted:

Geists can reach beyond the pale to reel the departing soul of a Sin-Eater back to his body, returning him to life and ensuring the continuation of the bond. Only the souls of Sin-Eaters that die of old age travel beyond the reach of a geist

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So some observations:

Interesting stuff. It does seem like there’s some overlap between Woof and Demon, and the stuff re: quantum superpositions is intriguing. The idea of the GM as a weird distant cousin of Host spirits - or a Host spirit that succeeded spectacularly in its long-term goal and re-formed - sounds like a good explanation. Also, Father Wolf wasn’t a spirit? What’s the story there.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Interesting decision to have the Bound count as dead for mystical purposes; presumably this will only really matter to Mages trying to do goofy poo poo, but. Do geister eat ghosts a lot?

I appreciate the choice to make Sin-Eater a word for the actual character, even if Geist isn't. I also really like the mass death thing.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Interesting decision to have the Bound count as dead for mystical purposes; presumably this will only really matter to Mages trying to do goofy poo poo, but. Do geister eat ghosts a lot?

I appreciate the choice to make Sin-Eater a word for the actual character, even if Geist isn't. I also really like the mass death thing.

The more interesting effect of the Bound being metaphysically dead is that ghosts regain Essence by being remembered by the living. Sin-Eaters have to find other ways to keep the dead from starving.

Some geists definitely eat ghosts. Others have different plans for them.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Basic Chunnel posted:

Also, Father Wolf wasn’t a spirit? What’s the story there.

Pangaean. Sort of spirit in flesh.

They got into it here.
http://theonyxpath.com/the-end-is-the-beginning-is-the-end-mage-the-awakening-dark-eras-werewolf-the-forsaken/

Though the rules are in the Neolithic section of Dark Eras (The Sundered World).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Interesting stuff. It does seem like there’s some overlap between Woof and Demon, and the stuff re: quantum superpositions is intriguing. The idea of the GM as a weird distant cousin of Host spirits - or a Host spirit that succeeded spectacularly in its long-term goal and re-formed - sounds like a good explanation. Also, Father Wolf wasn’t a spirit? What’s the story there.

Pangaeans per Dark Eras are beings that live in the Border Marches (or Pangaea, same thing), which is basically a liminal zone between the Shadow and the material world, sort of an early precursor to the Gauntlet. They're powered by Essence, and use the rules for ephemeral beings, but they have Arcana dots and they only bleed essence in the Astral, not in the spirit or living worlds. The Firstborn are the offspring of Father Wolf and a powerful wolf spirit or spirits, and Pangaeans in general are capable of interacting with spirits in various ways, but they aren't spirits.

Another thing to note is that as a creature that could interact directly and personally with the physical world and ultimately be killed by ordinary werewolves, Father Wolf probably wasn't anywhere near Luna's equal, and while it's ambiguous enough that you can't be completely certain, it's likely that Luna's involvement in the creation of werewolves was a lot closer to the Pure version than the Forsaken version -- basically Father Wolf's divine essence was bled off during fights with other Pangaeans and other powerful entities, and Luna was the one who made sure it found its way into human bodies. (Maybe, and for whatever inscrutable reason -- it's unlikely that anyone, Pure, Forsaken, or anyone else, can accurately infer why Luna does anything. :v:)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 9, 2018

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
Pangeans were the native inhabitants of Pangea, the world between the Flesh and Shadow that got turned into the Gauntlet by the Sundering.

Re: The Geist spoiler. Among other things, this means that ghosts don't get Essence from Sin-Eaters remembering them. Because it's the attention of the living that feeds them. Begone, loophole in the game's metaphysics!

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Another thing to note is that as a creature that could interact directly and personally with the physical world and ultimately be killed by ordinary werewolves,

Well, they were his bane, and according to various histories the Firstborn participated as well. And there's apparently a lot more Firstborn than we knew about.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Pangeans were the native inhabitants of Pangea, the world between the Flesh and Shadow that got turned into the Gauntlet by the Sundering.

And from there on: mystery.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So some observations:

This was a great read and really interesting.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So some observations:

I really like this.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It is also funny to me that one of the themes of 1e Geist was 'and celebrate life, because you have gotten a second chance at it' while the universe is sitting over here going 'no, you're dead, you just don't look like it.'

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So some observations:

This checks out, nice work.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
I'm just getting around to reading Beckett's Jyhad Diary and the section on the 4th Sabbat Civil War has this passage:

quote:

Large chunks of the Tremere antitribu are wiped out by an Assamite — specifically, the Methuselah Ur-Shulgi, who sacrifices the entire bloodline in preparation for breaking the blood curse on his Clan.

Granted it's been a while, but I thought this was a result of Tremere /Goratrix /Saulout wrasslin' match?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr. Poz posted:

I'm just getting around to reading Beckett's Jyhad Diary and the section on the 4th Sabbat Civil War has this passage:

Granted it's been a while, but I thought this was a result of Tremere /Goratrix /Saulout wrasslin' match?

As far as I can recall, yeah - Saulot kicks out Tremere of his (?) body who then kicks out Goratrix of his bodies and the antitribu got wiped out in the process. Goratrix, I think, was shoved into a mirror or something.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

As far as I can recall, yeah - Saulot kicks out Tremere of his (?) body who then kicks out Goratrix of his bodies and the antitribu got wiped out in the process. Goratrix, I think, was shoved into a mirror or something.

Yeah, it's mostly this.

Originally it was heavily implied or outright said to be Tremere in Goratrix's body. He was playing musical chairs bodies with Saulot and ended up in Goratrix's body as some part of the convoluted plot. He then did the logical thing once in that position.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, Tremere and Saulot were in a war for control, Saulot got the upper hand and drove Tremere out, Tremere goes into Goratrix, and says 'wait a tick, I hate this guy' and shoved Goratrix in a mirror because he was a vain bitch

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Once Tremere was back in control of a body they then did ritual to wipe out the Tremere antitribu, right? So what's all this about Ur-Shulgi doing it? I know he threw off the blood curse, but the bit from the diary suggests Ur-Shulgi had a direct hand in destroying the Tremere antitribu.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It does seem inconsistent even with the rest of the book, given that the chapter that's about the Assamites is all about Ur-Shulgi breaking the curse using the blood of all the Assamites that won't worship Haqim, and nothing about Tremere antitribu, who mostly aren't in the same place as Ur-Shulgi anyway.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Poz posted:

Once Tremere was back in control of a body they then did ritual to wipe out the Tremere antitribu, right? So what's all this about Ur-Shulgi doing it? I know he threw off the blood curse, but the bit from the diary suggests Ur-Shulgi had a direct hand in destroying the Tremere antitribu.

Apparently V20 Lore of the Clans retconned a lot of the Tremere stuff. It has the switch happening in the Dark Ages with Saulot/Tzimisce playing tug of war with Tremere's original body.
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Goratrix#Version_Differences
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Tremere_(Antediluvian)#Version_Differences

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 9, 2018

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Maybe it's a retcon.

That Geist previous makes me really optimistic, as does the fact that NuWW undoubtedly gives zero shits about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Even the narrator is tired of this poo poo.