Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Exoria was pretty good. I almost completed it; the final quest is a combat challenge, and I lost patience with it and dropped the pack. Otherwise, it was a very well-done pack, showcasing a lot of oddball mods I'd never used before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Exoria was pretty good. I almost completed it; the final quest is a combat challenge, and I lost patience with it and dropped the pack. Otherwise, it was a very well-done pack, showcasing a lot of oddball mods I'd never used before.

Yeah, all the primalcraft stuff was pretty fun.

Oh, another tip I just remembered for the new page - a block of charcoal produces more heat in the burner furnace than a single charcoal and seems to last 9x as long, so there's no downside and it makes melting iron tolerable.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, all the primalcraft stuff was pretty fun.

Oh, another tip I just remembered for the new page - a block of charcoal produces more heat in the burner furnace than a single charcoal and seems to last 9x as long, so there's no downside and it makes melting iron tolerable.

I put a compacting drawer next to my furnace area, so I could just take what would work best for what I was doing. Blocks for Iron/Sand, pieces for other metals.

I'm loving Exoria for lots of stuff, other than Embers. I was moving at a good pace right up til I started hitting it's quests. It's just annoying. Of course, this will all be for naught, as I'm now also starting up the bees...

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I put a compacting drawer next to my furnace area, so I could just take what would work best for what I was doing. Blocks for Iron/Sand, pieces for other metals.

I'm loving Exoria for lots of stuff, other than Embers. I was moving at a good pace right up til I started hitting it's quests. It's just annoying. Of course, this will all be for naught, as I'm now also starting up the bees...

Here's a tip: get the bees that you're forced to get and then stop. The only truly long term useful bee product in Exoria is beeswax, for torches. Fertility is the most important stat and it's stuck at 2, so by the time you reach any of the valuable material species you've probably already got access to the materials they give.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Ultimate Alchemy sure has a lot of item deletion bugs in it. You can lose items simply by putting them into an Actually Additions machine that already has items, and if you break an Engineer's Workbench all items inside it are deleted.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 1, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How well does Mekanism steam generator hold up in the area of power generation? I'm wondering particular what it's like with solid fuel heating elements from a tree farm. I don't know anything about how to balance it yet, so I wanted to ask ahead.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

In Sevtec, what options are there for removing Dreadlands biomes if someone happened to gently caress up and spread it near a base.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

In Sevtec, what options are there for removing Dreadlands biomes if someone happened to gently caress up and spread it near a base.

None. Light up the area and nothing should spawn.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How well does Mekanism steam generator hold up in the area of power generation? I'm wondering particular what it's like with solid fuel heating elements from a tree farm. I don't know anything about how to balance it yet, so I wanted to ask ahead.

Steam generator or steam turbine?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ak Gara posted:

Steam generator or steam turbine?

Steam boiler, to be exact, but I figured it out after watching bits of video and re-re-reading the Mekanism documentation about it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I tried out the IE Improved Blast Furnace today.

It's... the same speed? It just has easier input/output access. You can put the extra things on it to speed it up with RF, but cmon why is the base multiblock not any faster?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Why would you build the 2 extensions if it was? Just make rows of the improved one.

Lol. yeah its not that great.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

It's... the same speed? It just has easier input/output access. You can put the extra things on it to speed it up with RF, but cmon why is the base multiblock not any faster?

Being able to automate it is nice. Also, the improved blast bricks are used in making the arc furnace; you'll typically cannibalize your improved blast furnace to make your arc furnace. The arc furnace is super fast.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

McFrugal posted:

I'm thinking the creator originally intended you to only use it with the heaters attached and powered, but since converting your blast bricks to improved ones is a one way process they added in the ability to run it in a 'legacy' mode if you forgot or didn't plan ahead before upgrading so you wouldn't have to build a second blast furnace to have a supply of steel while working toward powering your improved blast furnace.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Nevets posted:

I'm thinking the creator originally intended you to only use it with the heaters attached and powered, but since converting your blast bricks to improved ones is a one way process they added in the ability to run it in a 'legacy' mode if you forgot or didn't plan ahead before upgrading so you wouldn't have to build a second blast furnace to have a supply of steel while working toward powering your improved blast furnace.

The upgrade has value even without the preheaters -- it allows the block to be automated.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m realizing now that I don’t think my mini pack has any mods that interact with XP in any way. It would be interesting to have XP tie into Thaumcraft or TiCon, as an alternative to enchantment...right now, I’m not actually doing anything with it. Maybe gate an alternative XP usage and storage system behind Thaumcraft?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So I've made my own pack on the twitch launcher to play around with, and I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't make certain tool parts in Tinkers. I certainly haven't disabled stone picks or anything myself and I can't find any configs that would have done it either.

this sick filth
Jun 6, 2008

3. Weird Child

taiyoko posted:

So I've made my own pack on the twitch launcher to play around with, and I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't make certain tool parts in Tinkers. I certainly haven't disabled stone picks or anything myself and I can't find any configs that would have done it either.

Did you add Iguanas Tinker Tweaks? It's default behaviour in that I think.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

this sick filth posted:

Did you add Iguanas Tinker Tweaks? It's default behaviour in that I think.

Nope. Here, I'll pastebin my modlist since that will probably help.
https://pastebin.com/qStwCUyW

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

taiyoko posted:

Are the tool parts in JEI? If yes, which parts can you see but not make?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

God loving dammit, Thaumcraft doesn't actually provide a way to charge items with FE. There's the Vis generator, but it doesn't have a charging slot or anything. I actually genuinely have to get into Immersive Engineering to use Scannable.

EDIT: I'm beginning to wonder if it's really worth using Scannable in the context of the pack. The main problem to be solved here is "I need gold/diamonds/X rare ore", and I don't really want the answer to be "make a TiCon hammer and mine out a 512x512 block". Unfortunately I don't see an alternative in the context of Thaumcraft alone. Immersive Engineering works - but I'm still not fully convinced that Thaumcraft and Immersive Engineering dovetail.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 6, 2018

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Devor posted:

Are the tool parts in JEI? If yes, which parts can you see but not make?

Upon loading up the pack to check...it turns out the whole issue must have been a fluke glitch, as I can make stone picks and shovels for my minecolonies dudes just fine now.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Mekanism steam power is pretty crazy, isn't it? I'm blasting out 440RF/tick with just one heater burning charcoal.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

taiyoko posted:

Upon loading up the pack to check...it turns out the whole issue must have been a fluke glitch, as I can make stone picks and shovels for my minecolonies dudes just fine now.

Maybe you tried putting a single stone in to make the head? Pickaxe heads require 2 ingots/whatever now.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Mekanism steam power is pretty crazy, isn't it? I'm blasting out 440RF/tick with just one heater burning charcoal.

I love the Mek turbine.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Been watching Hypnotized play Project Ozone 3. I hope that pack remains awesome. It’s the only packs I spent more hours than I care to admit playing. So far in his play through it looks pretty decent. No bees required means I’m a happy guy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am leaning closer and closer to actually reworking and connecting up the mods in my pack instead of just lumping them all together. I want to use Aux Mod X with Main Mod Y, but X depends on some sort of connector block to FE which Y does not provide, so I bring in Energy/Tech Mod Z, but I’m only using a few bits of Z and it conflicts thematically with Y which implements its own energy system and in order to reconcile this I need to translate Y energy to FE and now I’m writing recipes and config and designing systems and determining balance and at this point I might as well just make my own loving game from scratch which I have already attempted and loving beaned :suicide:

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

God loving dammit, Thaumcraft doesn't actually provide a way to charge items with FE. There's the Vis generator, but it doesn't have a charging slot or anything. I actually genuinely have to get into Immersive Engineering to use Scannable.

if you open up the Scannable config file (scannable.cfg) and set " B:useEnergy=false" it will no longer need to use RF.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BadMedic posted:

if you open up the Scannable config file (scannable.cfg) and set " B:useEnergy=false" it will no longer need to use RF.

But then it’s completely free use, which isn’t very balanced, and it’s completely free-standing without ties to the core mods, which isn’t what I want. The solution in that case is to reskin Scannable with Thaumcraft theming and make it a mid-tier item dependent on TC’s crafting and energy field systems, but that requires changing its recipe to use appropriately tiered materials and determining its method of consuming Vis and producing Flux and by then I’ve overcommitted.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Mekanism power is pretty crazy. My go-to base power in most packs is to get two garden cloches making melons, break them in a factorizer, put them through a crusher, then feed the biofuel into a PRC to run six gas burning generators for roughly 25-50k/t depending on the modpack

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I'm currently doing the melon cloches -> gas burner thing, it's very nice and easy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Project Ozone 3 is still in the works? I just searched it and the first result was a Youtube video from almost exactly a year ago called "Project Ozone 3 sneak peek".

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Yeah just entered closed beta.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Which sucks because I'm still slowly working through Age 3 of Sevtech :mad:
PO2's kappa mode is still the only pack I've ever completed the book on and looking forward to PO3.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

taiyoko posted:

I'm actually mildly surprised that gold is the sticking point for you - not the many, many mods that require plenty of diamonds and worse, ender pearls. I usually end up getting all the gold i could ever use while unsuccessfully looking for diamonds.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Wolpertinger posted:

I'm actually mildly surprised that gold is the sticking point for you - not the many, many mods that require plenty of diamonds and worse, ender pearls. I usually end up getting all the gold i could ever use while unsuccessfully looking for diamonds.

Ugh, or ender pearls; so many mods need it, so few produce ways of getting them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mods don't usually provide easy ways to get ender pearls because The End exists, where the only mob that can spawn on non-End-City areas is an enderman.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

Ugh, or ender pearls; so many mods need it, so few produce ways of getting them.
Ender Ore adds an ender dust ore in the world, and the dust can be made into orbs in a crafting table.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Pearls have that real rough resource scarcity, where it’s a weak trickle until you get enough to get to the End, then you have more than you can use. Lots of folks assume the latter is the default and ignore the former. End Ore is real nice to get a few pearls for things like the Astral Sorcery wand early on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I'm so spoiled my MFR I can't imagine wanting for Ender Pearls. Just grab an enderman in a net to reprocess in eternal rebirth/slaughter in an evil machine fueled by cows.