Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Begemot posted:

I think that might be why Meti is commenting on her hair. It was a prerequisite for Maya's training.

that was definitely my read - maya may look like a badass now, but she hasn't been willing to go through with Meti's pointless painful demands (that are probably the first steps on the path to royalty, of course) yet

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Alternatively, she has. The comment was "Well it's been years and you're swole now training over get out of my house"

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Begemot posted:

I think that might be why Meti is commenting on her hair. It was a prerequisite for Maya's training.

I read it as she managed to shave her head long ago and start training and it's grown back now, but it's ambiguous.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Today I realized that thanks to his kung fu bullshit and his patriarchal society, Solomon David hasn't had daughters since that last batch all died. Mix that with the fact that he has to be the daddy who fixes everything and keeps all his children safe and this tournament is gonna go in a real fun "I have been intentionally repressing my traumas because a man has to be big and strong and capable" direction.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Solomon is pretty much a masculine foil to Mottom's pressure to always perform youth, beauty and indulgence, I believe. Different hyper-rigid gender roles.

Appropriately enough Mottom is acutely aware of what she's doing and justify it as a survival strategy, while Solomon seems to not be entirely conscious he's doing it and believes he's simply doing everyone else a favor by being this awesome.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I wonder if one of his dumb sons tried to rules lawyer him by showing up in the arena and just pricked their hand with a needle saying ‘I’ve spilled a drop of your blood, dad’ :smug:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I wonder if one of his dumb sons tried to rules lawyer him by showing up in the arena and just pricked their hand with a needle saying ‘I’ve spilled a drop of your blood, dad’ :smug:

I feel like this would actually win Sol's respect, which is why none of his present sons have been smart enough to do it.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
at the very least, doing it shows the balls solomon is requiring of his hypothetical heir

a real artist and Artist would shed more than blood, imo. an eye? a hand? a hide?

of course, the only way to follow up on it is to attempt to fight him anyway,

e: i hold that solomon restricts his trolling to his personal life, btw

make mockery fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 16, 2019

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
also, id say the state of mayas domain is categorically not her responsibility. if nothing else that was and always is the terms of claiming the throne, even ignoring how loving long incubus has had to do with it as he will

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Alternative: Allison shows up in the arena and punches one of his sons in the face, giving him a nose bleed.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
remember, thrones are for idiots

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

If I read correctly the Yellow City and the Blue City are basically moons that orbited Throne. As was mentioned above bad things happened to them during the war.

There were seven orbiting cities, they were some of the greatest creations of demiurge society.

There was also an actual moon.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Shocked Meti smokes filtered cigs.

I assume she just smokes whatever people give her/she finds. I don't think you live in a barrel if you're going to be picky.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

shirts and skins posted:

Incidentally Meti is so far down and to the left of this thing

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1105524036757540866?s=19

that her picture is probably below the floor of the room you're in

Not even going to the drive thru, just staying in your loving barrel and calling uber eats to bring you one black coffee sachet of salt

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019

Renaissance Robot posted:

Not even going to the drive thru, just staying in your loving barrel and calling uber eats to bring you one black coffee sachet of salt

thats a rude thing to call maya

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Demiurge4 posted:

The only reason that doesn't happen is because Solomon empties them of blood before they get the chance to do it themselves.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

make mockery posted:

thats a rude thing to call maya
Maya Ten Meti, Ride on a Lyft and Order with Grubhub.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 16, 2019

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Shocked Meti smokes filtered cigs.

All the good tobacco vendors died (and she couldn't afford their wares anyway), so she's stuck smoking lovely menthol kools imported for cheap from one of the Earths.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
theres no way that Meti doesnt smoke something like Pyramids, the cigarette so bad ive seen homeless dudes turn them down

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Demiurge4 posted:

This is assuming any of them can get close enough to pull that off, or that a needle would even work.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Their own hand, being that they have his blood in them. Assuming they even have this view of course.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Mimesweeper posted:

I read it as she managed to shave her head long ago and start training and it's grown back now, but it's ambiguous.

Yeah. It also feels as though Meti's next sentence is basically going to be about how beautiful her hair is and that she should settle down, basically giving Maya one last warning to walk away from the path of the sword.

Of course, we all know how this turns out.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Yeah. It also feels as though Meti's next sentence is basically going to be about how beautiful her hair is and that she should settle down, basically giving Maya one last warning to walk away from the path of the sword.

Of course, we all know how this turns out.

It's interesting how having this interlude in the middle of Solomon David's chapter makes it clear just how bullshit Meti's, "the way of the sword brings only suffering, settle down and have children" line is.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

paranoid randroid posted:

theres no way that Meti doesnt smoke something like Pyramids, the cigarette so bad ive seen homeless dudes turn them down

she smokes whatever someone gives her

the ultimate cigarette bum

Patrick Spens posted:

It's interesting how having this interlude in the middle of Solomon David's chapter makes it clear just how bullshit Meti's, "the way of the sword brings only suffering, settle down and have children" line is.

Is it? To Solomon David his whole family is basically a sword, but also a stupid and useless one. He doesn't have a family, only failsons.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Incubus mentioned her when he told Solomon's story, chances are more comparisons are gonna be drawn between these two. Beautiful locks vs luxurious beard.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Patrick Spens posted:

Solomon David failing at his thing doesn't really invalidate Meti's point. Getting really good at killing people is still a pretty poo poo thing to devote your life to.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Solomon David failing at his thing doesn't really invalidate Meti's point. Getting really good at killing people is still a pretty poo poo thing to devote your life to.

Given that Maya apparently grew up in a time of war and famine, I really doubt she had that option.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Given that Maya apparently grew up in a time of war and famine, I really doubt she had that option.

Meti's point is definitely somewhat idealistic, but I don't buy that Maya had no choice. She definitely seems to think she had one.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Its pretty clear that the passive stance taken by the monks was incorrect, so SOMEONE has to devote themselves to violence because otherwise your family, world, and sun are apt to be taken otherwise.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Yeah, Maya has a choice. Fight or abandon everything she knows and the world where she grew up, let it be crushed under a madman's crusade and rot away into nothingness, and meanwhile she goes and cooks noodles somewhere else and grows old and has many children.

Little did she know...

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Everyone who devotes their life to violence are idiots and should be dissuaded from doing so. Idealistic, but not incorrect. And if you're still going to insist on doing it, at least do it right. Practical, and what ended up happening.

Devoting your life to violence and also trying to pretend you are some kind of enlightened pacifist while watching your home get destroyed? That's a special kind of idiot and definitely worse.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Everyone who devotes their life to violence are idiots and should be dissuaded from doing so. Idealistic, but not incorrect. And if you're still going to insist on doing it, at least do it right. Practical, and what ended up happening.

Devoting your life to violence and also trying to pretend you are some kind of enlightened pacifist while watching your home get destroyed? That's a special kind of idiot and definitely worse.
Oh, poo poo, it's a koan! Meti doesn't just want a devoted student, she wants one who despises the art of cutting as much as she does. That's the only kind of person who can actually use it effectively and responsibly.

Hell, Maya even gave that noodle vendor a variation on "if you meet Buddha on the road, kill him" as payment.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shugojin posted:

Is it? To Solomon David his whole family is basically a sword, but also a stupid and useless one. He doesn't have a family, only failsons.

Not his current family, his previous.

I'd say Meti's real lesson is "master the sword, but don't let it master you".

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

I think the source of metis bitterness comes partially from a lack of lateral thinking. There's convenience to be had in learning how to slice up some deli meat for a sandwich from 4 miles away. Sword arts are wasted on warriors

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Seizon posted:

Sword arts are wasted on warriors
This part she would absolutely agree with.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Sadly on foolish warriors wish to learn it, making all who learn it fools better off doing something else.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
the art of cutting is the registered name of my long-distance barbering/tailoring/pizza slicing business

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
i only cut the pizzas square

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

make mockery posted:

i only cut the pizzas square

You monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
For a second I thought that they had gotten probated for the cutting pizza's square post and I thought "Oh, righteous."

Pizza's cut into squares is the type of poo poo that even Pree Aesma wouldn't do on principle.