Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kurtofan posted:

i'm glad this shits on the mcu tone. like its like they saw a mcu movie and said "lets do the exact opposite".

achillesforever6 posted:

Goddamn it can we stop making trailers that have dumb remixes of classic rock songs to make them sound more haunting and ethereal?

Yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Holy poo poo, this was way darker than I thought it would be. This is like "The New Mutants take a field trip to Silent Hill"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

I'm confused.

It looks like a horror movie. Not a comic book adaptation with horror elements. Just a straight-up horror movie. If they didn't say the word "mutant" I wouldn't even think this had anything to do with comic books.

Not saying every adaptation has to be a fun action romp, but this trailer just didn't convey to me "A horror take on a comic book." More just "Like any other horror movie in the last decade."

Yeah, if it wasn't for the Marvel logo, I don't think anyone would associate this film with the X-Men/Marvel. Which is probably not what your marketing should be going for. I think this was a bad teaser that most people will pass off as "oh another horror movie" and not think "X-Men spinoff."

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Jamesman posted:

Agreed. I'm still kinda bummed that Edward Norton is so hard to work with because I want to see more adventures of Norton Banner.

Movie also set up so many interesting things that were never followed through on which will forever upset me.

Yeah, now we'll never get to see Liv Tyler as Harpy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, if it wasn't for the Marvel logo, I don't think anyone would associate this film with the X-Men/Marvel. Which is probably not what your marketing should be going for. I think this was a bad teaser that most people will pass off as "oh another horror movie" and not think "X-Men spinoff."

Which is supposed to be enticing to people, though? I'm not sure either one is

E: and as long as we're ranking the Hulk movies based on objectifying their lead actress, Ang Lee's Hulk had Jennifer Connelly which I'm pretty sure means it's the best one.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 13, 2017

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
I dunno, I liked it alright. It strikes its tone really hard, it’s got a cast of actors you could really do something with, it plays it’s cards close to the chest, and it looks like it might do something more interesting than another Bryan Singer X-Men sequel. I’ll take that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So, I know next to nothing about the New Mutants.

Can someone explain why this is a horror movie and if that actually fits with the comics?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They want to do something different with this one, and no not really.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

After Cypher died didn't Warlock animate his body or something. That's pretty spooky.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Magik as a character has some horror elements associated with her but other than that I have no idea

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

New Mutants did more horror-ey stuff than regular X-Men was doing but it's not a property that would have automatically made you think asylum horror movie.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
As a pretty big horror fan, that trailer looked like a trailer for a bad horror film that would get a 3/10 rating that I would still probably see in theater because nothing else is out. I would then completely forget about it until it showed up randomly on Netflix and I would quickly think "oh yeah, I kinda remember that movie."

A horror mutant x-men film could be really good. But man that trailer was just so boring.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Considering how little plot this trailer reveals, I am guessing it purposefully emphasizes the horror elements and that the movie as a whole will tell a larger story that takes them out of the asylum at some point. Making sure the audience knows this is a different tone than "Yet another movie where the x-men fight a bad guy" is the goal here, and we'll get a better idea of the film when they release the 3 and a half minute trailer that spoils the entire plot that every movie gets now. Also, it's October, soooo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I'm confused.

It looks like a horror movie. Not a comic book adaptation with horror elements. Just a straight-up horror movie. If they didn't say the word "mutant" I wouldn't even think this had anything to do with comic books.

Not saying every adaptation has to be a fun action romp, but this trailer just didn't convey to me "A horror take on a comic book." More just "Like any other horror movie in the last decade."

In that respect (well change it from horror in the last decade to just horror) its very true to some of the early arcs in the comic book. Sienkiwitz (his name is impossible to spell) is a genius.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, they could've just been playing up the horror elements because of the Friday the 13th release date

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's also friday the 13th today.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I meant trailer release date sorry

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dexie posted:

So, I know next to nothing about the New Mutants.

Can someone explain why this is a horror movie and if that actually fits with the comics?

Last one is Legion, but same artist.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah I meant trailer release date sorry

No no, it's both.

quote:

In Theaters April 13, 2018

(That's a friday)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Maybe they are on Muir island and proteus is warping reality.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I've got my fingers crossed for a Warlock jumpscare akin to Insidious 1.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Half the New Mutants lend themselves to horror quite nicely. I'm just wondering if they'll fit in Sunspot and Cannonball. Not much room for blastin' for Sam though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Half the New Mutants lend themselves to horror quite nicely. I'm just wondering if they'll fit in Sunspot and Cannonball. Not much room for blastin' for Sam though.

I assumed the person burning in the washer machine was Sunspot.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Open Marriage Night posted:

They're in it, Charlie Heaton is Sam. The kid with the broken arm.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

JordanKai posted:

I've got my fingers crossed for a Warlock jumpscare akin to Insidious 1.

oh poo poo I thought they were gonna be too lame to actually do Warlock

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm not much for horror, but it is comic books, so I will probably get around to seeing it. Magik is Colossus' sister, right? I suppose the guy from Deadpool can't appear without obliterating the tone of the movie, but it's strange that they would go with her in light of that.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Magik is Colossus' sister, right? I suppose the guy from Deadpool can't appear without obliterating the tone of the movie, but it's strange that they would go with her in light of that.

magik's one of the premiere characters that isn't (always) in the core x-men team and if anything that connection with colossus that they can use down the line is even more reason to bring her into the cinematic universe.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ekeog posted:

magik's one of the premiere characters that isn't (always) in the core x-men team and if anything that connection with colossus that they can use down the line is even more reason to bring her into the cinematic universe.

Fox's X-Men franchises are scattered all over the place in time and the X-Men's prominence and it's pretty cool. If you had to order the various X-Men properties in time it'd be: Current X-Men movies in the 90s while gaining prominence, Deadpool/Old X-Men movies in the present day with the X-Men at their height, The Gifted in the near future with the X-Men heavy hitters underground, Logan in the future with the X-Men all loving dead. And then Legion is just hanging around being impossible to place in time due to its retro futuristic style. I don't even think they're going to try for a greater X-Men cinematic universe.

I'm kind of digging just taking each thing on its own without needing to place it in a larger continuity beyond just "sometimes the X-Men are currently a big deal, sometimes they're hiding or dead, and sometimes they're myths and legends."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As not a horror fan at all that doesn't look like something I'll see until it hits Netflix or whatever, but it at least doesn't look like an X-Men movie.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I just finished a binge through the 80s X-books and the thing about New Mutants is it was always just kinda weird. It started off as this not exactly superhero teen angst adventure book, went dark and experimental in the Bill Sienkiewicz run, brought in Warlock, introduced a bunch of connections to Asgard, etc. So while the movie doesn’t look particularly like any New Mutants comic it still is sort of in its spirit to hop genres. The worst thing is how generic a horror flick it looks, but maybe we’ll see more later to differentiate it.

Then in the end they gave the book to Rob Liefeld and he immediately made it “Cable, Rob’s super cool OC that everybody loves, with his friends the New Mutants” and then turned the book into X-Force.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

apparently this is going to be the demon bear arc that Sienkiewicz started on - if they follow the comics, the trailer may actually be the more mundane parts of the movie and later poo poo'll be way crazier

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I used to think ed norton was the better banner but mark is very endearing

https://twitter.com/eggsyunwi/status/918280975271870465

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mark Ruffalo was always the best. But his goof ups just make him more endearing. Also the fact that he's not an rear end in a top hat in addition to being a great actor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I remember the very first time they did a press event for Avengers, everyone clapped when Chris Evans, RDJ, and Chris Hemsworth showed up on the stage, and then they introduced Mark Ruffalo and there was just confused silence.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was a Ruffalo doubter pre-Avengers but man, he's great.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That new mutants trailer sucks, I was hoping they'd go the body horror route but this looks completely generic.

Fsmhunk fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 13, 2017

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Fsmhunk posted:

That new mutants trailer sucks, I was hoping they'd go the body horror route but this looks completely generic.

It's a trailer dude.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

One thing I enjoyed about the trailer was it seemed as though they did the "faces coming through the walls" bit the old school way like in the original A Nightmare on Elm Street, with the actors pushing through a latex wall. The CG version in the Nightmare remake looked fake as all hell.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Retardog posted:

One thing I enjoyed about the trailer was it seemed as though they did the "faces coming through the walls" bit the old school way like in the original A Nightmare on Elm Street, with the actors pushing through a latex wall. The CG version in the Nightmare remake looked fake as all hell.

It is goddamn astonishing how much worse that scene looks in the remake compared to the original, like Jesus loving Christ. I saw an interview with the director of New Mutants and he noted that it was an homage, that it was done practically, and that the remake's doing it in CG was poo poo and he is super loving right.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/13/new-mutants-director-on-why-hes-making-an-x-men-horror-film-and-more?read posted:

Yes, that’s my homage to Mr Craven, and we did it practically. They did that stupid remake of Nightmare and they did it with CGI, and I was like how did they do it in the original. They got rubber walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That probably looks very silly when being filmed, a bunch of people pushing their faces against rubber walls.

e: This sounds good tho:

quote:

You’ve alluded to two movies, a sort of trilogy. What’s the plan?

We brought it to FOX as a trilogy of films, really all based on that long run by Sienkiewicz, and kind of incorporates some stuff from later issues in the '80s.

These are all going to be horror movies, and they're all be their own distinct kind of horror movies. This is certainly the ‘rubber-reality’ supernatural horror movie. The next one will be a completely different kind of horror movie.

Our take was just go examine the horror genre through comic book movies and make each one its own distinct sort of horror film. Drawing from the big events that we love in the comics.

I hope it's a success and they get to film everything the way they want.

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 14, 2017

• Locked thread