Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WhiteHowler posted:

It works well because "GPC" is already a spaceflight-related acronym for "general purpose computer".

She runs the higher functions of the Satellite of Love, so this can be a nice retconned origin of her name.

That's a fortunate as hell coincidence. Clever too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Larryb posted:

Makes sense, kind of surprised it took this long for them to change it though

I’m not sure what it’s like elsewhere, but I feel like the fact that the old name is a slur has really only started to become well known in the US in the last few years. I’d honestly guess that the majority still have no idea there’s anything wrong with that word.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

I’m not sure what it’s like elsewhere, but I feel like the fact that the old name is a slur has really only started to become well known in the US in the last few years. I’d honestly guess that the majority still have no idea there’s anything wrong with that word.

Point, I remember it being used pretty commonly in a lot of 90’s shows at least.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Point, I remember it being used pretty commonly in a lot of 90’s shows at least.

Not just then either. It really has kicked in since, like, the last five years.

Pacific Rim's main robot is Gipsy Danger, for example. If they were worried about it being a slur by that point they'd more than a single letter, for the one example.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The live show I went to did the robot role call and they specifically said it differently while also mentioning that it was a new name for her.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Diabolik900 posted:

It is/was an uncommon but occasionally seen woman's name. When I was growing up in the 80's/90's, I knew two different people who had that first name on their birth certificates (neither were of Romani descent, of course).

It's one of those terms that is problematic because of its history, but I doubt has been used in earnest as an actual slur in decades. Good on Joel and company for changing it anyway.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I’m wondering if the redesigned GPC is just the standard model now. I haven’t seen any of the original puppet in any of the Kickstarter updates. I know they remodeled her for the tours because the original puppet is a beast to maneuver but I kinda hope it sticks around for Joel and Jonah’s episodes.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Data Graham posted:

What's Trace's deal anyway? Is it my imagination or does he seem really down on the whole concept lately? I saw that live stage show that got everybody together and it seemed like he kept making 90s-style trans jokes

Longer version: the KTMA origin of the show involved a lot of the original cast. Jim Mallon and Joel became co-producers/owners of the show when it went to series. J. Elvis was just a kid, almost certainly taken advantage of during the conversion process, left after 1 season, has been successful since then, and has basically written off what went down. Kevin was initially only involved behind the scenes and seems to be pretty chill with his Rifftrax gig; I get the impression he just plain likes to perform. Trace was the other on-air talent, but got cut out of the ownership line of things and was basically a salaried employee despite being one of the original cast.

Trace has also talked about how he and Frank filmed the Mads bits late in the day; everyone else would go home except for whoever was directing (and the crew, of course). He and Frank spent a lot of time together on those shoots. Trace, of course, was also Crow, so he worked with everyone else, where Frank was in the writer's room but otherwise kind of cut off. It sounds like Trace isn't incredibly outgoing and clicked better with Frank than with the others; couple that with his feeling that he was a central part of the show (which he was) and ought to have more input into its direction, at the very least, and you can see how he'd end up friends with Frank and fed up with everyone else. I have no doubt he's also upset that he has to keep hustling to make a living because he didn't get a percentage of MST3K like Jim and Joel did, despite being a critical part of its success.

In short, he felt like he was a founder of the show but treated like a hired hand, worked his rear end off, got increasingly fed up after Joel left, and thus had no interest in returning for the Sci-Fi era. Why keep working for what I imagine wasn't a very large amount of money to put most of the show profits into Jim Mallon's pockets?

Mads are Back with Trace and Frank have been doing 1/month online shows, and from the ones I've seen I don't recall anything in the same neighborhood as the riffs in a few Sci-Fi era episodes.

WhiteHowler posted:

It is/was an uncommon but occasionally seen woman's name. When I was growing up in the 80's/90's, I knew two different people who had that first name on their birth certificates (neither were of Romani descent, of course).

It's one of those terms that is problematic because of its history, but I doubt has been used in earnest as an actual slur in decades. Good on Joel and company for changing it anyway.

I'm pretty sure the term and others like it are still being deployed as slurs. Even a brief Internet search will provide you evidence that there's still a lot of discrimination and hatred directed against the Roma in Europe, and that's the place where the majority of the historical racism was directed at them as a people, in part because their history goes back so much further than American history. I did find one survey of American Romani in 2011 indicating that slightly under 40% of them considered the term a racial slur; I suspect that number would be higher today.

The Romani are still being blamed for things like the spread of COVID: https://news.un.org/en/story/2021/04/1089232

The name change is great and long overdue, as is the switch to women voicing the character.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I think Trace is the best performer that's ever been on the show.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Narsham posted:

:words: about Trace

Thanks for this! It's very interesting.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Narsham posted:

I'm pretty sure the term and others like it are still being deployed as slurs. Even a brief Internet search will provide you evidence that there's still a lot of discrimination and hatred directed against the Roma in Europe, and that's the place where the majority of the historical racism was directed at them as a people, in part because their history goes back so much further than American history. I did find one survey of American Romani in 2011 indicating that slightly under 40% of them considered the term a racial slur; I suspect that number would be higher today.

The Romani are still being blamed for things like the spread of COVID: https://news.un.org/en/story/2021/04/1089232

The name change is great and long overdue, as is the switch to women voicing the character.

They're just not all that common in the US, so we're not as familiar with them as a group compared to Europe.

I mean, at one point Pittsburgh had the biggest concentration of Roma in the US. They came from Slovakia and a century later, they're just "yeah my ancestors were Slovak." I'm one of them. The Roma aspect faded away and everyone is just vaguely Eastern European.

Also: in my family, we did use gypsy to describe them. I assume that it was because of a lack of familiarity with Roma or Romani as terms.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The US has a larger total number of Romani than any other individual nation, though obviously with a nation this large it's a really small percentage overall. Turns out minority groups assimilate better if people are too ignorant of their existence to discriminate.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

I think Trace is the best performer that's ever been on the show.

When the show started really coming into its own around season 3, I honestly feel that Trace's double act of playing both Forrester and Crow was absolutely a huge part of that. He'd figured out how to make them distinct characters without having to keep using different-sounding voices for them, he started to do the voice impersonations that he would become well-known for (Charles Nelson Reilly, Gregory Peck, Frank Gorshin, etc.) more frequently, and he and Frank had honed their pairing up into what I think is truly one of the finest comedy duos, right up there with Abbott and Costello.

Trace was without question a major part of the reason why MST3K became the pop culture touchstone it is today, so I honestly feel that if he's bit aggrieved about not being given his just due for his part in its success, then he has every right to feel that way. Thankfully he and Frank are still doing their thing as The Mads (and I honestly like their "working blue/adult language" approach, even though as a rule I don't think swearing is necessary to be funny).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was at the grocery store and completely randomly looked at the candy section at checkout and, well...

...now I'm having a soda pop and a Caramello.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

TL posted:

I’m wondering if the redesigned GPC is just the standard model now. I haven’t seen any of the original puppet in any of the Kickstarter updates. I know they remodeled her for the tours because the original puppet is a beast to maneuver but I kinda hope it sticks around for Joel and Jonah’s episodes.

I *think* tour GPC design is for Emily’s episodes while Jonah will still have the “classic” look (or at least, the hang from the ceiling Netflix version).

No idea what model we’ll see with Joel or who will voice it (Mary Jo maybe?)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bill said while it was fun to do Crow alongside Joel and J Elvis as Tom for those charity shorts, he's not coming back to voice Crow for Joel's upcoming eps.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mantis42 posted:

The US has a larger total number of Romani than any other individual nation, though obviously with a nation this large it's a really small percentage overall. Turns out minority groups assimilate better if people are too ignorant of their existence to discriminate.

Yeah, like less than a third of a percent. But less than a third of a percent is still a million Americans. My understanding is that my ancestors very quickly became "Slovak" once they settled in urban areas. In less than a generation, they had married non-Roma Slovaks and were....just Slovaks then. After that, they just had the standard early 20th century discrimination that Slavic Catholics received, which was fairly mild all things considered.

I don't know as much about Roma from other places, just the Slovak ones.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Last bit on the Romani thing because it just occurred to me

American pop culture also just, flat out, did not view them the way the EU did. Even with poo poo like 'The Gypsy Curse' idea that had gotten played for a while, the actual Romani involved is never the *bad guy*. The person they cursed is the one who wronged them and have to atone.

Which that gets into some lovely things but that's neither here nor there.

In fact as far as I can tell, American cinema was pretty overwhelmingly sympathetic of Romani from very early on. The Wolf Man is the example that came to mind first, where the Romani are wholly empathetic and sympathetic to what's going on, and while partially responsible, also had no control over that. So for Americans, we always had this kind of benign if not even benevolent association with the term, and the term represented more of a free spirit kind of thing.

Like what if hippies, but more.

That's not the case and it's still steeped in positive discrimination, but yeah.

It's a dynamic that always stuck out to me as kind of refreshing compared to how it normally went

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

As an American who spent a couple years in Britain, I knew that Romani were a discriminated minority but didn't realize that 'gypsy' itself was a slur. I knew there are slurs derived from the name. Heck, some of the old shorts on Disney+ use 'gypped', even spelled out in the subtitles. Wondering if/when The Mouse is going to do something about that.

Posting again that most people argue Joel or Mike but for some reason, for me, the mads are what gives the show its feel. Trace + Frank era > every other era.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ballz posted:

I *think* tour GPC design is for Emily’s episodes while Jonah will still have the “classic” look (or at least, the hang from the ceiling Netflix version).

No idea what model we’ll see with Joel or who will voice it (Mary Jo maybe?)

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that the tour/Yvonne version of GPC was labeled "GPC-2." The tour version is also more of a hand puppet which leads to goofy moments of Mega Synthia halfway behind a curtain and GPC on the other side.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Watching old episodes of Columbo and other 70s shows I've realized that Richard Anderson was really the poor man's John Saxon. Which somehow makes Mitchell the poor man's Columbo except more violent and unlikable.

Mitchell really does feel like someone trying to write darker and edgier Columbo fanfiction with swears and boobies.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 1, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I know everyone has different tastes, but Columbo doesn't hold a candle to The Rockford Files in terms of detective shows from that era.

I just watched a backdoor pilot on the Rockford Files("Just Another Polish Wedding") featuring a high class Louis Gosset Jr. and ex-con Issac Hayes beating the poo poo out of a bar full of Nazis. Columbo doesn't have poo poo like that sorry.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Another Bill posted:

I know everyone has different tastes, but Columbo doesn't hold a candle to The Rockford Files in terms of detective shows from that era.

I just watched a backdoor pilot on the Rockford Files("Just Another Polish Wedding") featuring a high class Louis Gosset Jr. and ex-con Issac Hayes beating the poo poo out of a bar full of Nazis. Columbo doesn't have poo poo like that sorry.

True, but I can't ever remember Columbo insulting someone by insinuating that they were gay, which Rockford did.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Hey, turn down that Rockford music, I’m Mitchell!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Davros1 posted:

True, but I can't ever remember Columbo insulting someone by insinuating that they were gay, which Rockford did.

Ok, that's fair. It happened once iirc in the season 1 finale.

I mean, if we're calling things out I've heard way worse on MST3K.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Another Bill posted:

I mean, if we're calling things out I've heard way worse on MST3K.

That's certainly true. Any Japanese film has some awful stereotype humor.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mr. B Natural goes to some very unfortunate places.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Funky Valentine posted:

Mr. B Natural goes to some very unfortunate places.

So does the riffing on occasion.

:rimshot:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is it time to talk about humor aging poorly again

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've realized that Richard Anderson

Anderson, that's me!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Morter posted:

Anderson, that's me!

And I didn't steal no bike, neither! :cry:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So whats the live show merch like?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Junkie Disease posted:

So whats the live show merch like?

Pretty standard stuff, t-shirt, hoodie, poster, socks and some pins/lanyards.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

muscles like this! posted:

Pretty standard stuff, t-shirt, hoodie, poster, socks and some pins/lanyards.

Got a fridge magnet for myself and patches (1 purchase gives a set of 3) for my friends.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And I didn't steal no bike, neither! :cry:

I love it when you act like Der Fuhrer, honey! Let's commit the marriage act!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dawgstar posted:

I love it when you act like Der Fuhrer, honey! Let's commit the marriage act!

We're going to have "the sex"!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Burkion posted:

Pacific Rim's main robot is Gipsy Danger, for example. If they were worried about it being a slur by that point they'd more than a single letter, for the one example.

Yes but surely that isn't literally "gypsy" and instead it's just like some phonetic alphabet's version of G-D or someth...

quote:

In the original screenplay for Pacific Rim, Gipsy Danger's key signifier and namesake was the image of a pinup decal featuring a "buxom Gipsy riding a bomb". Respectively, its pilots, Raleigh Antrobus and Mako Mori, were referred to as "Roma 1" or "Roma 2"[8], "Roma" being the colloquial term for the Romani people of Europe, the Americas and Asia.[9]

However, prior and shortly after the film's release July 12, 2013, information slowly began to circulate among fans that the etymology behind the term "Gipsy" was in fact pejorative.[10] "Gipsy" is the British spelling of the word "Gypsy"[11]. The term, and the casual reference to a theft, "Gypped"[12], is an ethnic slur used to refer to the Romani people.[13]

:catstare:

Well alright then. Cool. Cool cool cool.

e:

been ages since I saw Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders.

"It's time for a strongly-worded review of my cat, Miffy"

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 1, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bet this 2017 TV show is going "nnnghey" and loosening its collar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy_(TV_series)

(or would be if it hadn't been quickly cancelled)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"It's time for a strongly-worded review of my cat, Miffy"

Merlin was a thieving crackhead who fenced VCRs to feed his habit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Grandpa Borgnine NO