Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm a big fan of Hbomb's videos, but he's a prequel defender and I can't for the life of me figure out why, because he seems to have mostly good opinions otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hbomberguy is a goon who is right about many things, and I think his video where he makes fun of insane anti-feminists are funny, but holy poo poo he is sometimes so off. He loved that lovely overhyped space game that restarts in the end. You know the one. It was so bad, I can't even remember the name now. But he cined'ed some deep meaning from bad game mechanics and lack of direction.

I myself don't hate prequels as much as some people do, but just lol at thinking that they are actually good films.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Hbomberguy is a goon who is right about many things, and I think his video where he makes fun of insane anti-feminists are funny, but holy poo poo he is sometimes so off. He loved that lovely overhyped space game that restarts in the end. You know the one. It was so bad, I can't even remember the name now. But he cined'ed some deep meaning from bad game mechanics and lack of direction.

No Man's Sky.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WampaLord posted:

No Man's Sky.

More like No Game's Buy.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

I must take issue with the Wikipedia entry for Weird Al

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
I tried to listen to Hbomb's defense of the prequels as entertaining(although not good) films and I just couldn't understand the points he was trying to make. Something about the Jedi being comically incompetent, it was just meandering nonsense by the end.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Paladinus posted:

I myself don't hate prequels as much as some people do, but just lol at thinking that they are actually good films.

My only issue with his NMS take is his dismissal of the idea that the dev lied his rear end off in tons of interviews as "some people felt they were lied to".

They felt that way because they were lied to.

Overall HBomberguy is a force for good in this world, so he can like as many bad movies as he wants.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ultrabindu posted:

I tried to listen to Hbomb's defense of the prequels as entertaining(although not good) films and I just couldn't understand the points he was trying to make. Something about the Jedi being comically incompetent, it was just meandering nonsense by the end.

He has a video/audio of this?

Oh god, link it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Overall HBomberguy is a force for good in this world, so he can like as many bad movies as he wants.

It's a slippery slope. People must be judged entirely on their entertainment preferences.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

WampaLord posted:

He has a video/audio of this?

Oh god, link it.

It was during one of his streams. It was around 15mins while he was playing Overwatch I think. Does youtube save the recordings because I can't find it on his channel?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I want to also see video of an idiot goon defend the prequels

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ultrabindu posted:

It was during one of his streams. It was around 15mins while he was playing Overwatch I think. Does youtube save the recordings because I can't find it on his channel?

Ah, drat. I know he's been threatening to make a video about it forever, and I'd love to see it so I could tear it apart.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

i watch plinkett reviews primarily to giggle this guy can neck himself

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Paladinus posted:

He made it his game of the year.

He claimed it delivered on being a chill exploration game, wilfully ignoring that it was billed as so much more. I suppose if you had never seen a game in this oversaturated genre before (one that includes Minecraft, so even little kids are familiar with them), didn't mind all the pointless resource grinding just to do basic tasks that was shoehorned in, didn't mind that the gameplay features were so far from even being half-baked, didn't mind that the epic space battles shown way back in the first trailer failed to make it into the game and also didn't hear the blatant lies the devs were telling right up until launch, long after they could be simply explained away as cut for time, I guess it would be a kind of ok game.

Spore was a better game than NMS.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

He's less a force for good and more a concern troll and not even a funny one.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 19, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I thought his thoughts on Dark Souls were pretty dumb

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

WampaLord posted:

I'm a big fan of Hbomb's videos, but he's a prequel defender and I can't for the life of me figure out why, because he seems to have mostly good opinions otherwise.

it's because they're a criticism of bush or some retarded poo poo lmao

he's loving awful

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Han can't win the Falcon in the Kelsle run... because if he did his junk ship would have to be faster than the Falcon. Unless it's some dumb side bet thing.

Hack frauds.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Han can't win the Falcon in the Kelsle run... because if he did his junk ship would have to be faster than the Falcon. Unless it's some dumb side bet thing.

Hack frauds.

The Falcon gets slowed down by mynocks attaching to the hull. Lando, who is piloting it, says "I've got a bad feeling about this!" as the first one attaches.

Whorelord posted:

it's because they're a criticism of bush or some retarded poo poo lmao

This is dumber than I thought his reasoning would be, lmao.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Palpatine did order 66.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
people hated the prequels long before rlm did a video, they didn't trick anyone into anything.
but of course prequel defenders often talk down and say "you did not come up with your own judgement, you couldn't have possibly come up with opinions that are not mine on your own..."
and then they can't figure out why people hate being talked to like that.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Thinking the prequels were bad goes back 18 years. Earlier if you count the Special Editions. The consensus was that everything past ROTJ was a wet fart.

But that goes without saying to the point that I'm just typing to hear myself talk.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good laughs having them roll through just about every dumb nerd Star Wars trope and stereotype that "Has to be there".

Even as a kid I thought the prequels sucked. When you walk out of a movie you are suppose to feel excited because you watched something good. My reaction was pretty much that same as Krusty's Worker and Parasite.

People keep hanging on to the Maul fight as a point of greatness but that was so bad and overly choreographed even compared to lovely Hong Kong Kung Fu movies which had the decency to look like they made contact. I know the guy who did it was some famous dude but gently caress I would be embarrassed for putting that out there.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What really bugs me about the prequels, more than literally anything else, is the lack of imagination. Sith are Bad Jedi, Yoda does lightsaber fights because Jedi are loving interchangeable, and it's loving stupid.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

vermin posted:

Thinking the prequels were bad goes back 18 years. Earlier if you count the Special Editions. The consensus was that everything past ROTJ was a wet fart.

ROTJ was the rumblings in the stomach leading to that wet fart.

'...my sister'. The entire theater groaned with that one. The movie lost me even then.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
I really, really hope that Han Solo is the original owner of the Slave 1 now. When they brought it up in the video I nearly died laughing at how loving dumb that idea is.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

thoughts and prayers posted:

'...my sister'. The entire theater groaned with that one. The movie lost me even then.

Yeah, Borat delivered that line much better.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What really bugs me about the prequels, more than literally anything else, is the lack of imagination. Sith are Bad Jedi, Yoda does lightsaber fights because Jedi are loving interchangeable, and it's loving stupid.

I don't know, do you think Lucas' choice to portray the Jedi as a callous, incompetent bureaucracy was predictable? People didn't dislike the prequels because they were too similar to the originals.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

General Dog posted:

I don't know, do you think Lucas' choice to portray the Jedi as a callous, incompetent bureaucracy was predictable? People didn't dislike the prequels because they were too similar to the originals.

the fact that the prequels were about so much bureaucracy at all was definitely something people were surprised about

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ROTJ was the rumblings in the stomach leading to that wet fart.

sfdebris has been doing a good video series on star wars v and vi preproduction stories, "the shadows journey" on how lucas became what he had said he hated in his early days, that portrays lucas in a more neutral light and helps explain some bizarre stories i've heard before in a more sympathetic light using facts while not denying them

the "my sister" thing was because lucas felt like they had to say who "there is another..." was referring to, did not have time to add a new character with what was there, and none of the other characters besides leia could conceivably be a jedi in the future. of course he doesn't deny that afterwards lucas then goes and says this incest poo poo is what he always intended.

i didn't bring it up earlier because i didn't want to START a star wars discussion but i've enjoyed it

General Dog posted:

it's not really an imaginative thing to do either.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 19, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I was a teenager when I saw Episode I in the theater, so I was satisfied with the action and music and visuals. I thought Jar Jar and the kid were stupid, but they weren't the draw, and I don't think the plot even registered for me at the time.

I walked into AotC pumped to see another Star Wars movie and walked out bewildered by how boring and nonsensical it was. I went to see RotS solely out of obligation to see it with the people I'd gone to the last two with. The prequels are a war crime and people felt that way about them when Mike Stoklasa was still making wedding videos.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 19, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

General Dog posted:

So you've got this order that has been getting weaker over centuries, and they're really failing to do much more than damage control for the goverment they are supposed to be helping. What is the payoff to this scenario? If you picked "have it culminate with the badguy doing a lightsaber battle with a few of them right after uttering the magic 'you are evil now' phrase to the soldiers", then you really wasted an okay idea.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Vaguido posted:

I really, really hope that Han Solo is the original owner of the Slave 1 now. When they brought it up in the video I nearly died laughing at how loving dumb that idea is.

It's a really dumb idea that i honestly do hope is in the movie, but you have to remember that they're also planning a Boba Fett standalone movie, and how can you make a Boba Fett movie without Slave 1?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SpacePig posted:

It's a really dumb idea that i honestly do hope is in the movie, but you have to remember that they're also planning a Boba Fett standalone movie, and how can you make a Boba Fett movie without Slave 1?

Boba Fett is Han Solo's best friend and Slave 1 copilot.

Edit: Because this galaxy is tiny.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So you've got this order that has been getting weaker over centuries, and they're really failing to do much more than damage control for the goverment they are supposed to be helping. What is the payoff to this scenario? If you picked "have it culminate with the badguy doing a lightsaber battle with a few of them right after uttering the magic 'you are evil now' phrase to the soldiers", then you really wasted an okay idea.

It ends with them fighting a war for three years that accomplishes nothing except consolidating Palpatine's power, and then getting murdered for their trouble.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

General Dog posted:

It ends with them fighting a war for three years that accomplishes nothing except consolidating Palpatine's power, and then getting murdered for their trouble.

Yeah, another lovely loving lightsaber battle and a montage of Jedi getting lasered to death. The subtext doesn't carry the trite execution. It never does.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

the "my sister" thing was because lucas felt like they had to say who "there is another..." was referring to, did not have time to add a new character with what was there, and none of the other characters besides leia could conceivably be a jedi in the future. of course he doesn't deny that afterwards lucas then goes and says this incest poo poo is what he always intended.

Knowing his track record that makes perfect sense and is far kinder than what I thought before

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Shoulda just made han a Jedi he was already the most charismatic motherfucker in the room.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's impossible to defend the prequels on filmmaking grounds so i don't knoww hy harold bomberguy attempts it. usually cd just sticks to content to defend em since even they seem to realize defending anything else is just an autoloss.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

reignofevil posted:

Shoulda just made han a Jedi he was already the most charismatic motherfucker in the room.

If New Hope started with Obi Wan getting Han to smuggle the droids off planet without Luke, and then all of Luke's roles are replaced by Han, would that make Star Wars better or worse? You could replace some of the incongruous parts with Leia which would give her an even stronger role and make it a pretty good loving love story to boot.

"Han...I am your father."
"You gotta be kidding me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Knowing his track record that makes perfect sense and is far kinder than what I thought before

yeah, the review also mentioned some new facts that made the story I had heard of Lucas desperately cutting footage of empire into something laughable because "they're ruining my movie" into something kinder, too (lucas's dream was falling apart and there had been a death in the prepoduction staff... lol I forget who, it's been weeks since I saw the review and I'm kind of a goldfish)

reignofevil posted:

the image of a trained and under control jedi was apparently too much at odds with han being a rugged scoundrel

• Locked thread