Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The first Halo had good gunplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

I'm aware that people say that but please refer back to my "they deliberately piss off tryhard idiots" comment because apparently millions of people didn't care and bought the second and third games anyway

the guns were fine you're not going to catch cooties for using cartoony guns

i think i know what they mean. it's not so much that the guns are cartoony or silly as it is, it takes a full clip from a pistol or an AR to kill a basic scrub enemy. about halfway through the game, even the heaviest sniper rifles take 2-3 crit shots to kill. the game gives you twenty grenades, but you need to toss half of them just to take down a couple entrenched heavies.

i'm not sure why it's designed that way, probably a lot of reasons. could be anything from the low player defense/life pool that makes huge hordes of high-power low-health enemies unfeasible, to spawn limits for hardware universalization.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shibawanko posted:

It had a great vibe as well

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sebmojo posted:

It had a great vibe as well

The plasma pistol was the best gun because you could rapid fire it, i would hold the xbox controller in a weird way and mash the right trigger in the manner if a revolver, which would take down an elite's shield at close range, then i would switch to the regular pistol and headshot them. The later games made that impossible but it felt so cool

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

i think i know what they mean. it's not so much that the guns are cartoony or silly as it is, it takes a full clip from a pistol or an AR to kill a basic scrub enemy. about halfway through the game, even the heaviest sniper rifles take 2-3 crit shots to kill. the game gives you twenty grenades, but you need to toss half of them just to take down a couple entrenched heavies.

i'm not sure why it's designed that way, probably a lot of reasons. could be anything from the low player defense/life pool that makes huge hordes of high-power low-health enemies unfeasible, to spawn limits for hardware universalization.

yeah the game just feels so bad, there's just something super annoying about the way the shooting and enemy health interplay.

Like, halo has some beefy enemies but they're beefy in the right ways

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
oh yeah halo is really well-made. like if there's a big beefy bastard enemy, he was placed there meaningfully, as much a part of the level design as the layouts and the lighting, rather than just being some semi-infinitely spawning mook that happens to have ten times as many hp as his buddies

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Finally finished Mass Effect Andromeda and I can categorically say it is a good and fun game

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fridge corn posted:

Finally finished Mass Effect Andromeda and I can categorically say it is a good and fun game

I played the demo and thought it was fine, they shot themselves in the foot with the derpy default protag and bugs

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Andromeda would have been good if it had any good things in it. It'd be nice with a good story, good characters, good dialogue, good immersive atmosphere

alas

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Zzulu posted:

Andromeda would have been good if it had any good things in it. It'd be nice with a good story, good characters, good dialogue, good immersive atmosphere

alas

Well yeah but you could say that about every mass effect game. The gameplay however, is good

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
But I did like the characters in Mass Effect 1 and 2 and 3. The story in the original trilogy was all over the place but I definitely wanted to see where it was going. I couldn't even finish Andromeda. The story felt disjointed and I feel like I spent way too much time driving around desolate landscapes doing menial tasks for some reason

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

The White Dragon posted:

lootin' tootin' shootin' games need a gameplay loop where part of it includes just destroying some enemies as your character improves. Basically level scaling is a dumb idea that was, in hindsight, clearly introduced to avoid spending time actually designing levels and enemies and their placement in the world.

WoW raids, even today, do this loop extremely well as the content specifically does not scale based on your gear and experience, so you can go back and dumpster fights that used to give you trouble at the start of an expac and it feels good, like you've actually progressed in the game

there's a point for me in borderlands, destiny, etc. where the green arrows/ticks/whatever signifying a new piece of gear totally loose meaning to me because I know that what that really translates to is that all the mobs are going to scale up to match the new stats

apparently in anthem they hosed this scaling up so bad that the baby starting gun that you get as a level one character was more efficient killing endgame mobs than the ultra-rare tier endgame weapons because everything scales to your gear anyway

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No Anthem actually did that part right.

You get clearly progressively more powerful in anthem to the point where you have to change difficulties eventually because enemies stop being able to kill you. It's one of the few things the game did well

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Zzulu posted:

But I did like the characters in Mass Effect 1 and 2 and 3. The story in the original trilogy was all over the place but I definitely wanted to see where it was going. I couldn't even finish Andromeda. The story felt disjointed and I feel like I spent way too much time driving around desolate landscapes doing menial tasks for some reason

The only good character in the entirety of mass effect was that green dude who was dying of space cancer or whatever

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

abigserve posted:

lootin' tootin' shootin' games need a gameplay loop where part of it includes just destroying some enemies as your character improves. Basically level scaling is a dumb idea that was, in hindsight, clearly introduced to avoid spending time actually designing levels and enemies and their placement in the world.

WoW raids, even today, do this loop extremely well as the content specifically does not scale based on your gear and experience, so you can go back and dumpster fights that used to give you trouble at the start of an expac and it feels good, like you've actually progressed in the game

there's a point for me in borderlands, destiny, etc. where the green arrows/ticks/whatever signifying a new piece of gear totally loose meaning to me because I know that what that really translates to is that all the mobs are going to scale up to match the new stats

apparently in anthem they hosed this scaling up so bad that the baby starting gun that you get as a level one character was more efficient killing endgame mobs than the ultra-rare tier endgame weapons because everything scales to your gear anyway

Hell, Metroid Prime 3 did that better with an enemy that's a miniboss fight at the start of the game becomes a regular heavy enemy halfway through, and towards the end you can literally kill it in one shot.

It's games adopting the worst habits of MMOs, except even some MMOs, or at least City of Heroes, had high-end enemies become midbosses and midbosses become grunts at certain levels to acknowledge how much more powerful you've become.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

fridge corn posted:

The only good character in the entirety of mass effect was that green dude who was dying of space cancer or whatever

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I don't remember who that is, all the krogan characters were the same

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Does Borderlands even have enemy scaling? I didn't notice any. As far as I got it the whole point of the game is "if at first you don't succeed, go get a bigger gun, come back and try again".

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Jerry Cotton posted:

Does Borderlands even have enemy scaling? I didn't notice any. As far as I got it the whole point of the game is "if at first you don't succeed, go get a bigger gun, come back and try again".

Second definitely does, and it completely breaks down at the highest levels because health and damage are on exponential scale, so it's only possible to play with ridiculously broken setups dealing massive damage and constantly refilling your shield/health

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Borderlands feels like playing fallout 3 on maximum difficulty, with those gently caress off white rad scorpion bullet sponges. except every enemy is one of those bullet sponges.

Fallout new Vegas was the right way to do an RPG shooter. guns are different, but if you shoot someone in the face with even a low level shotgun they will die (because it's still a loving shotgun!)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

Second definitely does, and it completely breaks down at the highest levels because health and damage are on exponential scale, so it's only possible to play with ridiculously broken setups dealing massive damage and constantly refilling your shield/health

I checked and Borderlands 2 does not have enemy scaling to level, nor the first game.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah the scaling is so broken by the end that it's "if at first you don't succeed farm a lesser boss til it drops a legendary weapon with the exact specs this new boss is weak to so it doesn't take you 45 minutes of plinking away to kill it"

Jerry Cotton posted:

I checked and Borderlands 2 does not have level scaling.

You're right, I think what it is is they all have a New Game+ that everyone played a bunch, and the enemies all get scaled up en masse for that.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

AND a good singleplayer, something no other halo has managed to do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember it's recommended not to buy the level cap increasing DLC of Borderlands 2 because the level scaling breaks the game even moreso.

Rutibex posted:

Borderlands feels like playing fallout 3 on maximum difficulty, with those gently caress off white rad scorpion bullet sponges. except every enemy is one of those bullet sponges.

Fallout new Vegas was the right way to do an RPG shooter. guns are different, but if you shoot someone in the face with even a low level shotgun they will die (because it's still a loving shotgun!)

FNV even had patches to deal with it, like the Shotgun Surgeon perk (shotguns ignore armour) and giving it to Cassidy the shotgun-wielding companion. And most of the really powerful enemies have little to no armour, armour-piercing ammo is something situationally useful and not what you need all the time. (and patches also made energy weapon ammo pierce a little bit of armour by default)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Bordlands doesn't have enemy scaling to your level, but what it does have is the same enemy you've fought a hundred times before, but this time his level is foo+1 so he takes more bullets so you need a new gun of foo+2 which acts a lot like the previous gun you had...

The MMO comparison others made is valid, it borrowed the very worst from it.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Borderlands 1 and 2 were games that I played a bunch of and kept waiting to "get to the good part" but it never really did in either case. Playing it with friends is the only thing that saved the experience, I can't imagine playing it solo.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI_BAz_NJKE

Serephina posted:

Bordlands doesn't have enemy scaling to your level, but what it does have is the same enemy you've fought a hundred times before, but this time his level is foo+1 so he takes more bullets so you need a new gun of foo+2 which acts a lot like the previous gun you had...

The MMO comparison others made is valid, it borrowed the very worst from it.

it's literally radiant AI for loot. they could have designed a bunch of quirky unique guns and made that the loot table, like any number of other games, but instead they decided to just randomize it and gate the handful of guns they did put effort into behind a terrible MMO-style loot table. it's a placeholder for content the developer never produced, spun into an "infinite guns!" pitch todd howard style, but even todd would never have been so foolish as to make all the unique legendaries in skyrim 5% drops

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 13, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's at least some creativity with Borderlands like the different weapon brands having their own gimmicks and aesthetics, but only the ridiculously rare or mission-specific uniques have anything really bothering with there.

There seems to be a real issue with big-name developers having to give up on creativity at some point to produce generic Content to fill out hours and numbers, which drains everything else like a black hole.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

borderlands games are only fun in normal mode. higher difficulties were unfun bullshit with bulletsponge enemies that can oneshot you and theres 30 of them and they have aimbots. also the skill system needs better stuff than +3% pistol damage or whatever boring poo poo you get to pick on levelup.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
A buddy of mine still plays BL2 and I asked him why. He said, "Because of the raids." I'm still laughing.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

A buddy of mine still plays BL2 and I asked him why. He said, "Because of the raids." I'm still laughing.

lol i tried one of the raids when i played it and it was just some bulletsponge that you shoot for maybe like 4 seconds and then it does some unavoidable instakill attack. i actually have no idea how you were supposed to win that fight.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pyromancer posted:

For example, there's a variant of the Unkempt Harold unique pistol called the Double-Penetrating, or DPUH. Without this pistol at high difficulties, go gently caress yourself basically. It's basically a shotgun that after damage bonuses it shouldn't have, does 10-20 times the damage of anything else possible.

(The pistols are in general the best guns in BL2 and the automatic rifles the worst because Gearbox doesn't know how to balance weapons).

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

AND a good singleplayer, something no other halo has managed to do.

If the first Halo had good singleplayer compared to the sequels then I'm even happier that I didn't bother with them than I already was.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Mass Effect 3 would have been better if rather than building the catalyst, you were building the fleet to fly to andromeda.

Accepting that the reapers were going to wipe everything out and there was nothing you could do made more sense after how they had been built up.

The series is still salvageable. Just need to do a remaster and rewrite of the 3rd game. People would forgive if they just fixed the thing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

Mass Effect 3 would have been better if rather than building the catalyst, you were building the fleet to fly to andromeda.

Accepting that the reapers were going to wipe everything out and there was nothing you could do made more sense after how they had been built up.

The series is still salvageable. Just need to do a remaster and rewrite of the 3rd game. People would forgive if they just fixed the thing.

I'm not sure "salvageable" and "re-write an entire entry in the franchise" are compatible statements.

That's like saying oh yeah that can fix Star Wars no problem. Just completely re-film The Last Jedi and tell everyone the first version doesn't count anymore.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The first game is perfect.
The second is good enough as a bridge.
The third has a lot of good stuff. Well some good stuff.

A couple good segments. But most of the writing is trash and makes no sense. However, there is enough that a good story could be salvaged. You'd need to write a bunch of new stuff, of course. But the series, as a whole, is salvageable.

As opposed to tossed in the bin, which seems to be what EA has done.

How the gently caress does EA even exist? What a horrible company. Everything they have touched for years has turned to poo poo. Too big to fail or something?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
I think my main issue with triple AAA games are the aesthetics. The" real is brown" think needs to die and although more color is being added back, it's not enough. I want some more stylized characters rather then having to fall back on random indie games to get that fix. (there are exceptions of course i'm just pointing out trends).

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Fruity20 posted:

I think my main issue with triple AAA games are the aesthetics. The" real is brown" think needs to die and although more color is being added back, it's not enough. I want some more stylized characters rather then having to fall back on random indie games to get that fix. (there are exceptions of course i'm just pointing out trends).

Yeah it's mostly the body armor shorted crop cut white guy characters that make my eyes glaze over

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I distinctly remember going through older areas and one-shotting everything, so if it had level scaling it obviously wasn't 1:1 like some people are suggesting.

e:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah the scaling is so broken by the end that it's "if at first you don't succeed farm a lesser boss til it drops a legendary weapon with the exact specs this new boss is weak to so it doesn't take you 45 minutes of plinking away to kill it"

You're right, I think what it is is they all have a New Game+ that everyone played a bunch, and the enemies all get scaled up en masse for that.

oh lol so they only added level scaling as a frustration mechanic for people who wanted to farm gear in New Game+? That's hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
My personally held unpopular opinion is that the end of Mass Effect 3 is good. It strips away all the artifice of your choices "mattering" because they determine what cutscene you see, which means that your choice can only matter because it's what you decided to do. Which is the only reason choices in video games matter anyways.