Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

More info plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Hubis posted:

More info plz

Agreed. I think my life expectancy has been shortened by about 5-10 years from airport-related guitar stress. I really need to invest in a way to feel that less frequently, esp when I go on vacation.

Of course, I travel for guitar about 10x more than for vacation, so I'll still die young and stressed.

I spent $1500 on the most beastly flight case, and I'm still a hot mess at the airport every time. Which includes this very goddamn moment.

[/Rant]

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Hubis posted:

More info plz

Yamaha SLG130NW "Silent" classical nylon string, 52mm nut. There are other models in that line with different nut widths and scale lengths. This one's got a pickup in the bridge, line in aux in (maybe this has a different connotation than "line in"?), line out, effects (2 types of reverb, chorus, echo), the left side pops off to make it more portable.

Jerry Bindle fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 16, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Barnyard Protein posted:

Yamaha SLG130NW "Silent" classical nylon string, 52mm nut. There are other models in that line with different nut widths and scale lengths. This one's got a pickup in the bridge, line in, line out, effects (2 types of reverb, chorus, echo), the left side pops off to make it more portable.

...line in?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Yeah! You could plug in an electronic metronome or drum machine or something, it gets passed through to the the headphone jack (and lineout? not sure)

dug up the manual for those interested: http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=55119

Jerry Bindle fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 16, 2016

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Ok folks, put me down for one Swiss Army Lunchbox.

Drove out to Guitar Center to A/B the Yamaha THR10X and -C models. The onboard effects will do in a pinch, they certainly sound fine but don't seem to have much adjustment. They didn't skimp, though. It's not just a delay and a reverb. I love the tuner, the aux in, the USB out, the fact you can run it on batteries if you want to carry it around, and that it weighs nothing.

I played the X first and just couldn't get into it. I tried the C and was grooving right along pretty quickly. I was sincerely amazed by how loud (and full) the little guy was. Like, in the store I turned the Gain and Master all the way up on one of the amps, and when I started rolling in the final volume ("Guitar") I maybe made it to about 1/3rd before I felt uncomfortably loud for the store. And it was smokin'. I goofed around with the effects but mostly just played with the amp models and EQ, looking to see how it sounded dry. It took my pickups beautifully (the Strat-style with the Pearly Gates with the series/parallel switch and the Texas Specials) and I played everything from Dad Blues Van Halen to King's X Drop B-flat tuning and it was tight and loud and full and I wanted it.

So I had the usual GC experience after that. We don't have any in stock, do you want that one? I look it over. Yeah, ok. Guy puts the power cord in a bag and starts to ring me up. "Hold on there, dude, this comes with USB cables and a code for software and stuff. You don't have any of the accessories at all?" -blank stare- -panicked phone calls to the back- -blink blink I can't sell this one-

FFFFFFFFffffffffuck you.

Guy comes out, offers to order me one. I said, I can do that from my phone right now. He says, no we'll set it up so you don't pay sales tax or shipping. *heavy sigh* "Alright, go look in your computer."

So I left with a receipt and a promise that there's a new one in Kansas City, MO that will ship to my apartment ASAP (ECONOMY_GROUND) but I've committed. Now I want to put together a pedalboard for it. An OCD/clone, a tc electronics delay, a chorus, a Phase 90, a Flanger. I'm crazy (it's cool, I can use all that with my Peavey combos, too). And I still want a Talman.

I really did enjoy my time with it, though.

This is the one I tested out (and ordered):

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 16, 2016

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

When you plug it in USB and open the editor, you get like 4 cabinets, and all of the effects are FULLY adjustable. Via the editor there is also a rack and pedal compressor and a noise gate as well as a bunch of different types of reverb. You can store like 100 presets in the editor and just load them in the first 5 slots to assign them to the buttons on your THR.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I gotta call my friend who recommended this thing (which I now call the Swiss Army Lunchbox) and tell him this stuff. Sounds great. I wish I didn't have to wait for it.

Thanks for the info!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Having trouble getting my THR10 to do AC/DC, oddly enough. It was second hand. Maybe the guy messed with the settings.

It sounds _good_, it just won't drive. On the other hand, it does sound good.

Also, are you sure you tried a 10C, Faustus? I'm colorblind, but that sure looks like a 10 to me. The 10C is black, the 10X is, uh, grey?

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Dr. Faustus posted:

So I left with a receipt and a promise that there's a new one in Kansas City, MO that will ship to my apartment ASAP (ECONOMY_GROUND) but I've committed. Now I want to put together a pedalboard for it. An OCD/clone, a tc electronics delay, a chorus, a Phase 90, a Flanger. I'm crazy (it's cool, I can use all that with my Peavey combos, too). And I still want a Talman.

For what its worth, mine takes pedals really well.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Warcabbit posted:

Also, are you sure you tried a 10C, Faustus? I'm colorblind, but that sure looks like a 10 to me. The 10C is black, the 10X is, uh, grey?

Green. And yeah, that sure looks like the standard THR10.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Warcabbit posted:

Having trouble getting my THR10 to do AC/DC, oddly enough. It was second hand. Maybe the guy messed with the settings.

That's possible. The THR editor is free in the Yamaha download section though since it's obviously totally useless without a THR so feel free to grab that and tweak it yourself.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I will note I am VERY HAPPY with my THR10, even if it doesn't drive the way I expected from the demo video (with settings)

Edit: Annoyingly, the manual is not available in english on that website. Weird. Was going to read it at work.
E2: Looks like the manual's the same for 10C, there we go.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 17, 2016

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

One thing is while the noise gate is quite effective, it is definitely a tone suck.

Like someone else said, the thing loves pedals in front of it. Go find a nice OD or tube screaming and boost to the moon.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Warcabbit posted:

sensy v2.0 posted:

Green. And yeah, that sure looks like the standard THR10.

GOD DAMNIT. You guys are 100% correct.

So, here's the deal. I played and very much enjoyed the standard THR10. GC told me it was the -C, but it wasn't. So I looked at my order confirmation and they have shipped me a standard THR10. I do know I liked that 10 a LOT, but I haven't even loving played the -C yet, so I don't know if I'd like it better! (turns out I did play it, and I didn't like it better, see below). I guess I'll have to drive back up there and play the -C now. I can always take it in and exchange it (assuming they loving have a -C stock).

Question: If it's a standard 10 and I already know I like that one, am I missing out on anything (other than different amp models) than the -C? Any extra features? Are the -C's amps much cooler? I'm seriously confused as hell. The thought of going back there makes me physically ill.

Anyway, to add to my list of possible follies I just ordered the Indo Talman in Tri-Burst with overnight shipping. I'll be checking it closely for build issues and testing the pickups. I have a cool contact at Hoshino USA (the guy who helped me get my new JEM sorted when the fret ends were not seated properly) and he told me if I have issues with the Talman he'll take care of it for me. I still have the huge shipping box they sent my JEM back in. It's been sitting on my washing machine for just such an occasion.

Man, I guess I gotta go back and play that -C now. I might as well get in the car. gently caress.

Well, at least this is pretty:

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 17, 2016

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Don't worry about it man, all the THRs are variations on the theme and they're all very fun amps.

Also just as a note, use the volume and the gain pots to build you base tone and use the guitar volume pot on the right side as your volume. It's a little confusing for some people when they're trying to find the right sound but that's how you should approach it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Don't worry about it man, all the THRs are variations on the theme and they're all very fun amps.

Also just as a note, use the volume and the gain pots to build you base tone and use the guitar volume pot on the right side as your volume. It's a little confusing for some people when they're trying to find the right sound but that's how you should approach it.

Yeah, when I was testing them I got extra gain by diming both the gain and master knobs and then controlling the overall volume with the guitar knob on the right. It worked, but ccording to the manual it works a little differently if you use the USB output.

Thanks!

I have very good news. I just got back from GC because I had to know if I was gonna be bummed when the amp got here.
True story: I unknowingly played the THR10 and the -C yesterday (I thought it was the -X or something else), and I liked the standard amp MUCH more than the -C. It just had many more usable tones IMHO. But I didn't know that today, so I went back this afternoon and found the other -C that they had out on the floor and really gave it a workout.

Turns out my opinion is the same as it was yesterday, but now I have all the model numbers straight. I'm getting the standard THR10 and not looking back. Can't wait to finally put a small (expensive, boo) pedalboard together. It'll be useful for my tube combos and my new Yamaha.

Crisis averted, all is well, can't wait to meet my new Talman tomorrow and my new Yamaha next week after work.

Life is good and now I just have to start putting my pedal wish-list together. I hope I can make good choices and keep it simple.

As they say, "Watch this space." Please be kind, I don't buy music gear often anymore. I live vicariously through major gear owners like Sockington. *burns with envy*

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 17, 2016

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Whatup, Telemaster friend. You're gonna be a happy, happy man.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Warcabbit posted:

Whatup, Telemaster friend. You're gonna be a happy, happy man.
I'm going a little nuts. I see via UPS and FedEx tracking that my new Talman (Telemaster, I like that) and my Yamaha amp will both arrive tomorrow (great timing because I will be home to accept since I don't start work until Monday).
I was thinking about the very beginnings of my pedal collection. I do have a Dunlop Stereo Tremelo/Pan pedal, and a Korg Tube Driver.
I wanted a versatile chorus with true bypass and and a great pedigree, and I am very happy that I have made one more order:

I ordered a tc electronics Corona Chorus.

I'm sticking with stereo pedals as much as possible so I can use them with my pair of 50W tube amps if the opportunity arises to play again.

I've always worshiped tc electronics from afar. I want their delay, too. Throw in a Fulltone OCD, an MXR Phasor and a flanger and I'm close to there. Maybe a wah pedal, a Uni-vibe, O Jesus someone stop me!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

I cheated. I just got one of every pedal that exists (not shown: Dano Wah. The one that looks like a truck.)
They're cheap but functional, and now if I want to experiment with a sound I just dig one out. Sure, there are _better_ ones, but these are sufficient.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The Cool Cats are all really solidly made and cloned from well- known boutique pedals. The only thing they have in common with the plastic Danelectros is the name.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
And being really inexpensive. And just a little bit weird. I got a number of the plastic Danos when Best Buy was closing them out for like three bucks each.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 18, 2016

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
You also could have gotten a multi effect pedal. :D

Seriously though, for the price the danos are fun pedals.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The only thing to watch with them is they don't use 9v as I recall, you may need a specific power brick for them

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

peter gabriel posted:

The only thing to watch with them is they don't use 9v as I recall, you may need a specific power brick for them

Out of that series, I only have a Metal II, but I've never had a problem. Same with the ones that have come through my store. Ship with a genuine 9V Danelctro Battery and run 'em off the same chain as everything else.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

After The War posted:

Out of that series, I only have a Metal II, but I've never had a problem. Same with the ones that have come through my store. Ship with a genuine 9V Danelctro Battery and run 'em off the same chain as everything else.

What am I thinking of then...
Oh poo poo, ignore me eh :v:

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

peter gabriel posted:

What am I thinking of then...
Oh poo poo, ignore me eh :v:

You might be thinking of the original Dano Cool Cat chorus (the big one); the first run was 18v. They later released a 9v version.

BTW the original 18v version is pretty phenomenal.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

JohnnySmitch posted:

You might be thinking of the original Dano Cool Cat chorus (the big one); the first run was 18v. They later released a 9v version.

Danelectro did make things really confusing in naming their product lines. The original pedals included the Fab Tone (one of those fuzz/disortion heavily compressed things you saw in the 90s... basically a 90-minute cassette with the first Sabbath album on one side and the first Stooges on the other. Great pedal.) and the Cool Cat chorus.

Then they made a line of budget plastic pedals called the "FAB" series, then discontinued that and replaced it with the metal chassis, boutique clone "Cool Cat" series.

None of this, of course, is to be confused with the "mini effects" series, which are all the ones named after diner foods...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

JohnnySmitch posted:

Yeah that's it!

Sorry for the outdated info guys

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The Talman arrived early this morning and I am extremely pleased with it.

For one thing, it had two features I was not expecting: A maple fretboard (yay!) and locking tuners (my first!) It has a rounded neck heel and it feels perfect. It's light as a feather, sits very comfortably sitting or standing, and I have found nothing wrong with the neck/frets (I had to tighten the truss rod and adjust the saddles a little once I put my light-top/heavy-bottom DR strings on it) and I think it is frankly gorgeous. The pickups are good (especially the neck pickup) but I may look for something a little more vintage-sounding for the bridge.

So I took a few pictures (my camera can't seem to do the finish justice):

But what's a post without a clip? Here's a VERY short clip of the pickups. I recorded two amp setups from my POD HD into Reaper:
The beginning bluesy clean part goes bridge pickup > middle selection > neck pickup.
The following (too overdriven) Joe Walsh part is all bridge. I am in love.

Sorry if the EQ is terrible or the playing is terrible, I spent no time on it.

While I was preparing this post, UPS showed up with my Yamaha THR10 so I can unbox that now and play with it. I'll post a clip if anyone really wants one, but the Talman is my main focus today.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 19, 2016

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Re: Danelectro pedals - don't forget the short-lived "Wasabi" line, most of which were also pretty cool (and huge and 10 pounds heavy)

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

While I was preparing this post, UPS showed up with my Yamaha THR10 so I can unbox that now and play with it. I'll post a clip if anyone really wants one, but the Talman is my main focus today.

Congrats on the THR. I got that same model a while back and I've had tons of fun with it. I've barely even tried all the extra presets that come with the software editor.

I was visiting my uncle earlier this week and he had just purchased 3 new guitars. My aunt wasn't too happy with his growing collection, so I took an old one off his hands. Just to help keep peace in their house, of course.

It's actually one of my dads old guitars, a Gibson Les Paul Standard in a gaudy red sparkle finish. It's been sitting in a closet for a while, so it needs a bit of a setup. Also, the hardware has seen better days, with the gold plating worn off in places and the tailpiece and bridge a bit corroded. It was my dads favorite guitar, other than it being too heavy, so we'll see how it holds up when I get it in good condition.

Here's it sitting next to my Agile for comparison.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have to rebuild my callouses so I couldn't play for too long today, but I gotta say I tried three VERY different guitars through the THR10 and I had a blast with very little tweaking. This was right out of the box, without plugging it into a PC at all.
The drat little lunchbox that looks like a space-heater is just plain fun!

I hope you can get that Les Paul playing and sounding like you want it to, because there's nothing cooler than an heirloom guitar that you inherit and actually can use. Congrats and good luck.

I have so much digging to do with the THR but, drat, that Talman is just way better than I expected. I haven't discovered a flaw yet (except the bridge pickup isn't as "vintage" sounding as I think I'd like.) It's astonishingly well-made compared to my last two Indonesian-built Ibanezes.

Very interested to check out the tc electronics chorus next week.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

JohnnySmitch posted:

Re: Danelectro pedals - don't forget the short-lived "Wasabi" line, most of which were also pretty cool (and huge and 10 pounds heavy)

I have the Wasabi Chorus/Trem and whilst it does sound vintage and watery as hell (ie great with a Jag) I ended up disconnecting the trem section because the footswitches are so drat close together that I'd keep turning it on by accident when I only wanted chorus.

And it clips like a motherfucker with any even lukewarm input.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You do have to appreciate their commitment to design. And by commitment, I mean in an insane asylum.

http://mirosol.kapsi.fi/2015/03/danelectro-dw-1-dan-o-wah/

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Warcabbit posted:

You do have to appreciate their commitment to design. And by commitment, I mean in an insane asylum.

http://mirosol.kapsi.fi/2015/03/danelectro-dw-1-dan-o-wah/

A shop near me has a box for this with a price tag on it. I don't know if it's for sale or even has the wah in it, but I kind of want it.

Not even to use, just to have. loving look at that thing.

wah talk reminds me that I really need to get around to putting a less sticky switch in my vox wah at some point ever

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What does the "octave" switch do in that thing?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Octave up fuzz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ob5VD6-Wik It's... actually pretty good for that. It's a very sweet wah, then you engage the fuzz and it becomes effing brutal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Danelectro-Dan-O-Wah-paddle-/161995095793?hash=item25b7a8fef1:g:7Y4AAOSwuAVWy3OX < here's one on ebay.

I'm not calling it a great wah. I am calling it something that cost me twelve bucks, and is... well... it's what it is. I am totally down with that.

THR10 update: Well, my 'sweet southern rock' LP-alike got _devoured_ by the noise gate, so I dug my Vox SSC-33 out.
http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/vox-ssc-33/13247

Works pretty nicely with it.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 20, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

drat, that actually is pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
http://i.imgur.com/fG6XQJR.jpg

Not a purchase as such as it's free but holy poo poo through some SVT 8x10 impulses does this sound SO loving good. Easily the best VST bass amp (including Amplitube and Guitar Rig) I have ever used.