Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes. Microsoft + Rare, the people who own James Bond, and the then current owners of the Bond game license at the time (I think it was EA) had allll agreed on the rights and release for Goldeneye 007 to be ported to 360 and offered Nintendo massive royalties on the release with Nintendo not having to pay a cent.

Nintendo refused to sign on, preventing the release.

Nintendo is such a Japanese company sometime, they should have let go. Like I heard that Japanese are overprotective of their ips for some reason.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
I don't really get the hate for old FPS control schemes. The games were designed with those schemes in mind, so it's not like you're going to keep getting killed because you can't turn fast enough. The only exception to this is the original System Shock, which feels like you're piloting a mech with 8 arms.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What would be a good button scheme with a xbox360 gamepad to emulate a N64 pad? It kind of fucks with my mind the whole B,A buttons then the other yellow ones on the N64.

to

I really want to play some N64 shooters (and other games) but I always end messing around way too much with the buttons.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Guillermus posted:

What would be a good button scheme with a xbox360 gamepad to emulate a N64 pad? It kind of fucks with my mind the whole B,A buttons then the other yellow ones on the N64.

to

I really want to play some N64 shooters (and other games) but I always end messing around way too much with the buttons.

Bumpers for L/R, left stick for analog, right stick for C buttons, D-pad for D-pad, 2 face buttons for A/B, left trigger for Z, and start for start.

Edit: If you aren't able to map the right stick as buttons, you have to compromise a bit and use the D-pad for the D-pad OR the C buttons. This works in most cases since most games don't use the D-pad at all.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 20, 2014

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Guillermus posted:

to

There are pads with 6 face buttons out there, which are handy for genesis and N64. Mines an old Saitek. Sorry couldn't tell you the model number.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

EvilGenius posted:

There are pads with 6 face buttons out there, which are handy for genesis and N64. Mines an old Saitek. Sorry couldn't tell you the model number.

I have a Saitek P880 for exactly this reason. I don't think Saitek makes gamepads anymore though.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Shadow Hog posted:

I actually didn't sit down and play all the way through Goldeneye until 2008 or so. Up until then, I'd thought it a game that had aged really badly. Then I discovered there was a C-buttons-move, analog-aims control scheme that kinda-sorta worked about as well as modern control schemes (albeit southpaw, since movement is right hand and aiming is left), and just played through the whole game on Agent like that. Played that way, it's actually not too bad! I can't imagine higher difficulty levels would hold up quite as well, but on Agent, where you can almost just barge through it like it was a then-traditional FPS, it's good mindless fun.

Quake 3 on the Dreamcast had the same control scheme too. Left analog stick for aiming with the four face buttons for movement. It wasn't that bad, and sometimes I preferred it over m/kb peripheral if I was using the rumble pack at the time. Quake 3 DC had some seriously juicy force feedback back in the day.
Always thought the Dreamcast missed a beat by having only 1 analog stick at a time when dual analog on the PS1 was looking seriously essential for good control over pretty much every genre. People love to reminisce about the Dreamcast but there's no avoiding its poorly designed and seriously unergonomic controller.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
It's one of these guys:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P2500

Pretty much covers all bases for emulation. All that's missing is dual shoulder buttons, which I don't think came in until PS2 era.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

EvilGenius posted:

I don't really get the hate for old FPS control schemes. The games were designed with those schemes in mind, so it's not like you're going to keep getting killed because you can't turn fast enough. The only exception to this is the original System Shock, which feels like you're piloting a mech with 8 arms.

You shut your fool mouth, System Shock's controls were great. (Protip: shift/capslock not only makes you run, but also turn faster.)

You want bad early FPS controls, check out Wrath of Earth, which nailed that "I'm piloting a suit of power armour with a control scheme designed by a boardroom committee" feeling.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I know this has come up before, but I couldn't find the answer. What's the best quake sourceport if you're looking for the a software rendered, vanilla-ish, singleplayer experience?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

SavageMessiah posted:

I know this has come up before, but I couldn't find the answer. What's the best quake sourceport if you're looking for the a software rendered, vanilla-ish, singleplayer experience?

qbism Super8 would be good

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Sweet, that looks exactly like what I wanted, thanks.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is it me or is Cyriak's Going Down MAP04 just... actually impossible? From a pistol start I can't find a single good strategy to survive the first three or four minutes in the main room and opening up the first wings.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

It's quite simple. Clear the left side slowly, grab the rocket launcher and then go to the right. When the ambush starts, chaingun all the zombiemen, make space and go to the other end, rocket everything.

General advice is not to let the revenants and cacodemons bully you. Hold your ground and use the chaingun to keep them stunlocked.

koren fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 20, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The Going Down maps just get harder and harder from there, too. I was stuck on the one with the seemingly "Dead Simple"-inspired Map 07 for a while before I figured out how to get the Mastermind to do most of the dirty work for me toward the end of the map.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Bumpers for L/R, left stick for analog, right stick for C buttons, D-pad for D-pad, 2 face buttons for A/B, left trigger for Z, and start for start.

Edit: If you aren't able to map the right stick as buttons, you have to compromise a bit and use the D-pad for the D-pad OR the C buttons. This works in most cases since most games don't use the D-pad at all.

Sounds like a plan. Some games like International Superstar Soccer (ISS 64 etc) like to use the C buttons to normal actions like passing etc so I guess I have to mess around a bit with them. Fortunately you can make profiles depending on the game you play so there's that, or just find a cheap pad for n64 games.

Ninja edit: Yes, I can at least for fps games map the C buttons on the right stick so FPS games aren't an issue at least.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Korendian Leader posted:

It's quite simple. Clear the left side slowly, grab the rocket launcher and then go to the right. When the ambush starts, chaingun all the zombiemen, make space and go to the other end, rocket everything.

General advice is not to let the revenants and cacodemons bully you. Hold your ground and use the chaingun to keep them stunlocked.

Simple != easy. That's the plan I generally came upon after a dozen or so attempts, but I seem to gently caress up something in the execution every time. Good to know I'm on the right track, though, thanks!

koren
Sep 7, 2003

It's all just a matter of practice. The difficulty ramps up quite a bit but every map is possible and mostly fair. Good luck with the rest of the set.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, Going Down is an exercise in managing resources, time, and space. There are many, many maps where there simply is no safe place anywhere on the entire map. You can't backtrack to a room you've cleared because new monsters keep coming in even in rooms you've been to, and new pathways open up to let them all in. Many times there isn't enough ammo to even fully clear an area without simply forging ahead into uncharted territory. Just try to limit sight lines from monsters as best you can, and keep moving, and also maybe experiment with what order you clear rooms in. Also if things get super rough and you aren't going for 100%, don't forget your only goal is to get the key and get back to the elevator in most maps. Sometimes you can just make a break for it and get the hell out of Dodge.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really like the Dead Simple level in GD where the trick is to save one of the Mancubuses until you get into position to not get murdered by all the poo poo the mancubus trigger spawns.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The fact that most GD levels emphasize something besides killing everything in a room makes the WAD really enjoyable in my opinion. It's almost like a puzzle: You may have to play a map two or three times before you really figure out the best way to get through it all. Sprint through here, encourage in-fighting there, kill everything here so you have some room to maneuver, don't kill this guy because it'll just make things worse, etc.

I feel like a few of the maps overuse the whole "let's spawn a bunch of poo poo in here" strategy, though.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So, anyone want to talk about gameplay mods for Quake? Because I'm going to just throw PerQuake out there. It changes the weapons up in a pretty cool way. Everything has new models, and they're way better than you'd expect from a mod from 1998. Instead of the axe and shotgun, you start with a chainsaw and a machine gun, grabbing such additional weapons as a pump shotgun, an elephant rifle, a suit of power armor, and what comes across as a sort of BFG-like. Everything feels really slick even to this day, and unlike most mods like this, he even tweaked a few enemy behaviors (e.g. grunts have machine guns like the player).

I also played a REALLY BAD attempt at porting Doom weapons to Quake today, which made me wonder: anyone know of any good beginner's tutorials for QuakeC?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
So I got around to trying out Demonsteele.

:stwoon:

The MIDI jukebox wad, GUS emulation, Scythe 2, and Demonsteele is loving fantastic. One of the songs it gave me last session was Holy Wars (The Punishment Due) and gently caress yeah I sang along like a giant rear end in a top hat in front of my computer at 4 in the morning :megadeath:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

horse mans posted:

Is it me or is Cyriak's Going Down MAP04 just... actually impossible? From a pistol start I can't find a single good strategy to survive the first three or four minutes in the main room and opening up the first wings.

Pistol start isn't recommended at all, except for the maps where it intentionally strips you of everything. That happens start of each 'episode'.

It's possible, but it wasn't designed to be played that way. It's a much more tightly wound campaign than most full MegaWADs

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Complete nonsense, it's designed for both. Each map is perfectly very well balanced for a pistol start and this is how I played through the wad. However, it is difficult and if somebody was struggling i'd suggest they switch over to continuous play, just like i'd suggest playing on a lower difficulty level. I wouldn't want to discourage anybody from trying to play from a pistol start because it provides a much more challenging and tactically diverse experience.

Suicide exits that strip weapons from players exist in many megawads that promote pistol starts. While continuous play is almost always permissible, some maps are explicitly designed for tyson gameplay or are built around the concept of having very limited resources. Suicide exits allow wad designers to account for this and enforce a fresh start. You're right in saying that these maps are usually placed at the beginning of thematic episodes.

Edit:

quote:

mouldy said:
Pistol start is designed as an extra challenge for people who are familiar with the maps, so I'd recommend first timers to play continuous, but if you are used to stuff like AV and scythe then pistol start shouldn't give you too much trouble. Continuous is more fun if you just want to rip through the maps like rambo though.

koren fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 21, 2014

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Man, I finished Going Down and now I don't know what to do with myself

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Glagha posted:

DoomRPG+DoomRL Monsters+DoomRL Arsenal+Hellbound. I just spent an incredible amount of time running through that. The DoomRPG aspect, constantly going back to the UAC base, trying out weapons, sorting armor, putting together weapons and assemblies, dovetailed nicely with the campaign length of Hellbound.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I tried with DoomRPG but I just couldn't get it to work. I haven't had the will to go back and tinker with it again.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Glagha posted:

Going Down with Demonsteele is fun and super frantic.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Matthias Worch is streaming his Doom levels and providing commentary on their design: http://www.twitch.tv/mworch

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
So, Awesome Games Done Quick 2015 is coming up in two weeks. There's always some great Early FPS speedruns. Although this time there's no Doom, the Early FPS block is on Monday, January 5, and includes Jedi Knight, Quake 2, Duke 3D, Blood, and Descent. Most of those haven't been in a GDQ event yet, or at least not in the last few years, so it should be a really good block. Starts at about noon, central time.

There's also Half-Life and Orange Box stuff on the 8th and Halo 2 and Goldeneye/Perfect Dark on the 9th.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Quake 2 done so quick you can't enjoy the music, which is the only good part of that game.

HL1 was done last time at about 40 minutes, but there was a segmented speedrun later that got 20 minutes. It is dizzying how much momentum that one used to sequence-break, I'd love to see it done live and commented.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
They're not actually doing HL1 at AGDQ '15. They're doing Opposing Force.

You'll also see HL2 Episode 2, but not vanilla HL2.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Duke 3d is an awesome speedrun, that game is so broken that the basic level geometry can be warped and literally turned inside out.
Jedi Knight Jedi academy is sweet too. Think quake bunny hoping plus tribes skiing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wadjamaloo posted:

Duke 3d is an awesome speedrun, that game is so broken that the basic level geometry can be warped and literally turned inside out.
Jedi Knight Jedi academy is sweet too. Think quake bunny hoping plus tribes skiing.

I'm watching now through the 2014 speed runs and the FPS runs are by far the most entertaining. Way more fun when they glitch the gently caress out of the game versus something like Katanari Damacy where the guy just plays the game normally.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just noticed they started releasing 64-bit builds of ZDoom. Any reason to use (or not use) it at all?

http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/zdoom/

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There's not much of a reason to use it on Windows, unless you want to make a loving massive map. On Linux it'll make it easier to compile on modern systems though! Also I guess OSX is killing 32bit support soon or something, I don't care about OSX really.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elliotw2 posted:

There's not much of a reason to use it on Windows, unless you want to make a loving massive map. On Linux it'll make it easier to compile on modern systems though! Also I guess OSX is killing 32bit support soon or something, I don't care about OSX really.

Cool, good to know.

Now I want any of you who bought Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel on Steam to try something. Grab the HEXDD.WAD from the Steam directory and run it in ZDoom. What happens?

Because when I do it I get Strife. :wtc:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 22, 2014

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Mak0rz posted:

Now I want any of you who bought Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel on Steam to try something. Grab the HEXDD.WAD from the Steam directory and run it in ZDoom. What happens?

Because when I do it I get Strife. :wtc:
Deathkings is just a PWad for Hexen. It sounds like for some reason, your ZDoom is loading Strife as the IWad for it instead of Hexen. Was Strife the last game you played in ZDoom, and are you trying to run Deathkings by dragging it onto ZDoom? Because that would do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Deathkings is just a PWad for Hexen. It sounds like for some reason, your ZDoom is loading Strife as the IWad for it instead of Hexen. Was Strife the last game you played in ZDoom, and are you trying to run Deathkings by dragging it onto ZDoom? Because that would do it.

Yeah, I realized what I did after fiddling with more things. I was running it as an IWAD, and running it as a PWAD fixed things. I can't re-create the error after doing that.

But here's the thing: I have never once played, installed, or had the WAD for Strife on this computer. It was a fresh, never before used version of the newest ZDoom SVN, so there was no "last game played"...

Edit: I just did it again by deleting ZDoom and all of its config files, reinstalling it, and trying to run HEXDD.WAD as an IWAD. I get a fully-playable Strife! :psyduck:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 22, 2014