Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Qubee posted:

a werechild attacked, I had a squad of 3 dwarves, and they were equipped with training spears. my guys did a good job wounding him, but the little fucker was so strong. he ended up tearing them limb from limb, literally. in the end, a random fisherdwarf who had just migrated died, and the 3 fresh recruits. I'm glad I sent the troops out though, they scared the werechild off, and he booped into a normal child before wandering off the map. I wish I managed to kill the fucker. I think if my guys had regular spears equipped, they would have done it.

everyone died in that confrontation i hope, you probably dont need more were things running around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hihohe posted:

everyone died in that confrontation i hope, you probably dont need more were things running around.

yeah they did, I also kept tabs on them so if they survived, I could kill / trap anyone that got bitten. also turns out training weapons aren't needed, so next time I'll equip my guys with proper stuff. if I do live training, I'll swap their kit out to training gear.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

you probably dont need training gear at all.it just makes it so a dwarf might get "attached" to a training sword so hell never use anything else.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm actually so annoyed I didn't do research on that beforehand. If my guys weren't equipped with silly poo poo, we'd have torn that werechild apart. We managed to almost kill it just with training stuff.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

yeah they did, I also kept tabs on them so if they survived, I could kill / trap anyone that got bitten. also turns out training weapons aren't needed, so next time I'll equip my guys with proper stuff. if I do live training, I'll swap their kit out to training gear.

I've actually built quarantine cells with burrows designated so that if someone gets bitten or even injured fighting a werebeast I lock them up until the next full moon passes. The first iteration of this i foolishly locked all of them in the same cell. This led to me getting dwarfs killed who didn't need to be killed (i.e. the only one infected killed the other two and some guards). And then I wasn't sure what to do when he turned back into a Dwarf but apparently the kill order was still valid so a hammerdwarf ran into the cell and beat him to death.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The nice thing about safely identifying weredorfs is that you can then usefully isolate them and give them something to do instead of having to kill them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Werecreatures are bullshit and you should just disable them in the .ini. (Or use dfhack exterminate on any werecreature that shows up in year 1, at least)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

my dad posted:

The nice thing about safely identifying weredorfs is that you can then usefully isolate them and give them something to do instead of having to kill them.

I heard they go mad after a while, and I don't know what madness entails. I vaguely remember having someone go mad a few years back (IRL years) cause he couldn't complete his strange mood, and IIRC, he just sorta milled about not doing anything.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Werecreatures are bullshit and you should just disable them in the .ini. (Or use dfhack exterminate on any werecreature that shows up in year 1, at least)

I very nearly did this with DFHack cause I thought it was a tad bullshit as well, but I figured gently caress it, let's see what happens. And then my military Dwarves were kicking major rear end, and hadn't taken a single scratch, so I thought I was safe. Then all of a sudden, my guys got worn out and tired, whereas the werechild had energy pouring out of his hairy rear end and managed to land some pretty severe blows on them. I know for a fact I'd have won that engagement if I'd equipped them properly.

It was so funny building tombs for the deceased soldiers, and seeing Dwarves carrying a left foot here, a hand there, a mutilated corpse. They got royally hosed up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

my dad posted:

The problem is that you can't give them nice quarters like you can with a vampire, because in animal form they trash their furniture.

I've thought about using a remote opening cell outside the walls, then during a siege you could release them to fight at the full moon. But I don't know what would happen if any of the infected enemy escaped back home. They might infect their friends and then your next siege might be goblin werebadgers or something. A whole civilization of goblin werebadgers.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
In countless forts I have only ever had one go bad because of a werecreature, all other times they ambled in and got axemurdered by the militia.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Telsa Cola posted:

In countless forts I have only ever had one go bad because of a werecreature, all other times they ambled in and got axemurdered by the militia.

It really depends a lot on the were-animal and the time it shows up. I have been spectacularly unlucky with were-creatures over time, and a year-one were-elephant will wreck a fort no questions asked unless the very first thing you did was bunker up, which makes for relatively boring forts unless you're doing microfort shenanigans. Even weak were-creatures sometimes somehow get a bite in through full armor, presumably from some Dumbass McUrist who only managed to find one boot or something. I've never had them not be at least a nuisance.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, I shamelessly dfhack exterminate the automatic year 1 werebeast, for all the reasons mentioned.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah the first year werebeast just causes me to stress out and keep my dwarves indoors. I just exterminate it. In fact, I exterminate nearly all werebeasts since they usually end up biting some civilian looking for herbs or whatever and then I have to look for him and make sure he's isolated which is tedious. Werebeasts suck.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

my game has a really annoying problem: every time I open the stocks menu up, my screen is black when I exit out of it, I have to open and close the esc menu to refresh the screen. and another irritating thing it does is instantly push my mouse to the far edge of the screen, usually when I enter k (look) or q (building order) menus, which results in a poo poo tonne of slowly moving the cursor back to the original position. it's frustrating for building furniture too, I'll have the cursor over where I want something, then press the furniture specific button and the cursor catapults to the side of the screen.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah the first year werebeast just causes me to stress out and keep my dwarves indoors. I just exterminate it. In fact, I exterminate nearly all werebeasts since they usually end up biting some civilian looking for herbs or whatever and then I have to look for him and make sure he's isolated which is tedious. Werebeasts suck.

You might try setting the number of werebeast types to 0 in worldgen, if you don't want to go through the hassle every time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I always do that, werebeasts IMO just present a huge amount of hassle.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is that a person that turns into a child when the moon is full?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is that a person that turns into a child when the moon is full?

it was a weregiraffe child, my bad

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats way less interesting

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Wait, does it turn into one of those gangly baby giraffes? Please?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I browse this thread pretty randomly, but I'm getting back into this nitemare simulator now. I remember at some point someone mentioned they pick their military candidwarves based on size. Is that really useful? I keep imagining that I'd just be picking out the fat, pudgy, goony dwarves for military service, which would of course not be good for the survival of my fort.

Also, now that danger rooms aren't realistic, does military training work in any sort of acceptable way now? Can I just give some dwarves a weapon and shield and some armor and tell them to train in a barracks and in a few months they'll know which end of the weapon to hold and be reasonably competent?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

I browse this thread pretty randomly, but I'm getting back into this nitemare simulator now. I remember at some point someone mentioned they pick their military candidwarves based on size. Is that really useful? I keep imagining that I'd just be picking out the fat, pudgy, goony dwarves for military service, which would of course not be good for the survival of my fort.

Size is a significant factor in how dangerous units in DF are in combat (although not quite as much as it used to be) and while dwarves can gain or lose weight, it's bounded within limits determined by where they started. So yeah, picking the fattest dwarves is actually a pretty good idea.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

counterfeitsaint posted:

Also, now that danger rooms aren't realistic, does military training work in any sort of acceptable way now? Can I just give some dwarves a weapon and shield and some armor and tell them to train in a barracks and in a few months they'll know which end of the weapon to hold and be reasonably competent?

Training works, once you've worked out how to actually assign the job. I've never agreed with the folks that think the military interface is difficult to understand, but it only has the most detailed and powerful level available, which can be intimidating.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The teacher and student skills also make a big difference with combat training, as its seemingly the only profession where one dwarf can actively teach another.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Just set the military squad to active/training and make sure they have a barracks with the squad assigned to train there.

Never take off the active/training off ever and youll have skilled fighters in a years time.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 17, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Been an entire season and my guys are all at Dabbling, so I'm not feeling optimistic. I've got a second batch of recruits getting to legendary on pumps, and then I'm hoping I'll be able to seed the fresh squad with some of the more experienced men from the first squad and have them learn faster. still frustrated with the amount of individual combat drills happening. haven't seen my men spar once. it's all just individual combat drills or dodging demonstrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I bet they gain skills faster when they actually hit stuff.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Zesty posted:

I bet they gain skills faster when they actually hit stuff.

yeah it'd be real nice if there was a way for me to prioritize what they do during training: 1) always spar when possible 2) otherwise lead demonstrations 3) otherwise individual combat drills. I'm just waiting on my first siege so I can capture a bunch of gobbos and have some good live training exercises.

also, what's up with caravans being so small most of the time? does it change from site to site? my previous site had big wagons, this one just has a few guys turn up with some mules and they sell maybe two pages of stuff. if I keep giving the traders huge profit margins, will they return with bigger wagons? does world age also impact trader size? my previous world was 500 years old and the caravans were huge.

also, this new thoughts and needs system is really loving me up. dwarves are under severe stress, I just had a fisherdwarf slip into depression. I've given them a tavern and a temple, what more do they want? I look at the needs tab in Therapist and a lot of poo poo making them unhappy is stuff I can't really control, like "hasn't crafted in a while"?? you're a fisherdwarf, why the gently caress are you sad about not crafting. even my soldiers have it. am I meant to let them make poo poo every once in a while?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 17, 2018

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Check your depot access. If there isn't a green line all the way to the edge of the map, the wagon cant reach your site, so the traders will just send a few mules to you.

Yes, dwarves get sad if they cant work with their hands. You need to set them up with some time off occasionally, where they can raise a crafting skill.

The emotion system has recently been changed, much cooler but you have seen the downsides. The emotional trauma system is really over tuned, and memories of seeing a corpse can send them deeper into depression each time they think of it again.

Toady doesn't really care about fort mode though. So these kinds of problems can interfere with a fort in the long run.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Demonstrations are actually pretty good... once you get teacher/student skills up.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

captain innocuous posted:

Check your depot access. If there isn't a green line all the way to the edge of the map, the wagon cant reach your site, so the traders will just send a few mules to you.

Yes, dwarves get sad if they cant work with their hands. You need to set them up with some time off occasionally, where they can raise a crafting skill.

The emotion system has recently been changed, much cooler but you have seen the downsides. The emotional trauma system is really over tuned, and memories of seeing a corpse can send them deeper into depression each time they think of it again.

Toady doesn't really care about fort mode though. So these kinds of problems can interfere with a fort in the long run.

I'm pretty sure one of my dwarves has a short story's worth of "x has become horrified at the memory of y's corpse" in their thoughts and feelings section. While I suppose PTSD is being modeled here it's kinda crazy.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Does teaching work realistically? Like If a dabbling spear dwarf tries to teach a skilled one, will the skilled dwarf learn nothing?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Does teaching work realistically? Like If a dabbling spear dwarf tries to teach a skilled one, will the skilled dwarf learn nothing?

They don't try to teach in that situation in the first place. You need a more skilled dwarf to teach a less skilled one (which also means that squads that are closer to each other in skill spend more time sparring and doing individual exercises.)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Did a bunch of googling all to fail to even find that much. It feels like a relatively under-researched topic, and even the wiki has almost no information at all.

One small point I am seeing consistently is that Teacher and Student skills are both more important/potent than Organizer and Leader skills; apparently Organizer is only invoked during mass drills and Leader only applies to lectures, and either Teacher and Student still apply to those situations or are just invoked successfully a lot more often in general. It also seems that personality traits are probably highly involved in receptiveness to Teaching and being a Student. That level of granularity would probably matter more if DF itself cared about making that information more transparent, but well, it's DF.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Qubee posted:

also, what's up with caravans being so small most of the time? does it change from site to site? my previous site had big wagons, this one just has a few guys turn up with some mules and they sell maybe two pages of stuff. if I keep giving the traders huge profit margins, will they return with bigger wagons? does world age also impact trader size? my previous world was 500 years old and the caravans were huge.

It varies depending on their profits and probably the wealth of the local civ you're trading with (so perhaps age matters, yeah). Just give them huge profit margins, they should start bringing more stuff.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So how do you get these clowns to train armor and shield up? If I remember correctly, wearing full armor makes them super slow without enough training, but the more armor you wear the faster it is to train up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

So how do you get these clowns to train armor and shield up? If I remember correctly, wearing full armor makes them super slow without enough training, but the more armor you wear the faster it is to train up.

Start them on leather and replace it with metal once they start hitting legendary in other skills.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Qubee posted:

well poo poo, I might just delete my world and start over with a small one, because I made a large one IIRC with 500 years of history. left it on all night generating lol

I really wish he'd hire a small team to just do grunt work on this. Stayed on top of them and only gave them access to what they need, or something. I get that this is his life's work / magnum opus, but drat, DF is such an amazing game. I wish there was a small team working on it to churn through all the menial tasks and optimize the poo poo out of it.

This has been requested so many times that Toady has it in his will that DF be open sourced when he dies. He also has it in his will that it won't be if foul play is expected. I'm serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I’d rather Toady live forever and just take the time he needs to do things his way. No one else who copies DF can hold a candle to his madness and I don’t trust anyone else to continue it.