Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Subjunctive posted:

Could you go into that a bit more? What would be the elements of the fraud?

Coca Koala posted:

The key is that it's already been signed, but you're altering the document. Signing a document implies knowledge of the contents, which clearly somebody can't have if you've altered it.

For example, it's fraudulent to take a 100 dollar check that somebody's given you, scribble on it a little bit, and then go cash your 100,000 dollar check. It doesn't become less fraudulent just because it's a contract as opposed to a check.

Yeah, basically this.

IANAL

Photoshopping the contract, unsigned is taking an offer he was presented, modifying the offer, executing the modified offer, and presenting it to the counterparty to also execute after their review. While he preserves the formatting of the original document he is not presenting it as something anyone has agreed to when they have not done so. If the contract was presented on a company letterhead and he modified it you MIGHT have a paper thin case for fraud in that he altered a document that had marks from some company without being an officer of that company.

Photoshopping a signed contract is taking an executed offer and modifying what document received the signature, then presenting it to the offering party with their own signature and his modifications. In this case he's using the document to claim that the property manager has already agreed to $10/month instead of $150/mo, even though that is knowingly a false claim.

If they were going to modify the contract that one party had already executed, then he would have taken the signed contract to the property manager, presented it with clear marks altering the terms of the contract, and had the property manager initial the changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rick Rickshaw posted:

:siren: Bad With Money, As It Happens :siren:

Just got a message from my roommate who's on vacation in Italy. He ran out of money and needs me to send him some.

What a surprise. He hasn't paid me rent yet this month either, and he has no access to credit.

I've been letting him sweat for a couple of hours so far.

(cross-posted from GBS)

You are never going to get a dime of that money back.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Coca Koala posted:

The key is that it's already been signed, but you're altering the document. Signing a document implies knowledge of the contents, which clearly somebody can't have if you've altered it.

For example, it's fraudulent to take a 100 dollar check that somebody's given you, scribble on it a little bit, and then go cash your 100,000 dollar check. It doesn't become less fraudulent just because it's a contract as opposed to a check.

The contract isn't binding (isn't a contract!) until it's been accepted by both sides. Editing the document would invalidate the other party's signature, in the absence of other indication of acceptance (like initialing the change). The check case is different, you're misrepresenting it (I think it's different in a few ways because of laws around checks, but even so). Altering the contract post-signature doesn't misrepresent anything, it just means that the signature doesn't represent acceptance of the then-current state of the contract. If he were to alter it and then take the contract to someone like a bank to say "yeah, I have a lease here of this amount including fees", that's fraud.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The friend in Italy is good with money, he has convinced someone else to pay for his vacation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Will also post this here!

Denying the IRS: BWM.

http://whatstheharm.net/irsdenial.html

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Saw a lady today buy a carton of cigarettes with her HSA card

That will be a fun audit

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

EugeneJ posted:

Saw a lady today buy a carton of cigarettes with her HSA card

That will be a fun audit

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Update on houseboat guy for the lazy:

His apartment management company said his month-to-month arrangement wasn't going to fly, and was making tenants who wanted to stay on month-to-month payments pay $150/mo additional rent. Since the financed houseboat of his dreams could be just around the corner (this may involve putting it in the name of his IT side business LLC and calling it a business expense), OP was having none of that, and photoshopped the form to read "$10/mo" and handed it in, which the manager blindly turned in to the company and now has to honour, at least for the next two months (minimum agreed upon move-out/boot-out notice for each party). I'll give him that last bit for chutzpah, he was probably recalling a similar thing where a guy screwed over a credit card company with a similar trick.

tl;dr - he now has to move out in two months and is blacklisted from renting anything again from that company, some other possible fraud wrt the financing/insurance is on the horizon. He also casually dropped in liquidating his Roth IRA if things got hairy.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhahaha. This is great. It's actually good with money to edit the contract, that aside, you're right. In the next 5 years he can never rent with these guys again. But is this standard for month to month renters being charged more?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Lump posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhahaha. This is great. It's actually good with money to edit the contract, that aside, you're right. In the next 5 years he can never rent with these guys again. But is this standard for month to month renters being charged more?

It was common when I rented at my last 2 places. It wasn't much, maybe 20 bucks more a month. I know I lost money due to that, but I didn't want to miss out on a better place because I was stuck on a lease.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Suspicious Lump posted:

If he'd just cancelled the lease instead of messing with the contract, he'd still have two months to find a new place, but he wouldn't be blacklisted, and he wouldn't be paying $10/mo for the privilege.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm pretty sure you can claim boobs as a business expense if you're an exotic dancer.

Of course that assumes she's paying taxes and/or claiming enough of her tips to make 5k in deductions worthwhile.

I met someone who got a boob job on credit, just slipped the fact she was still making payments on her breast augmentation surgery casually somewhere into a Facebook update one time.

She was pretty much exactly the sort of person you'd think.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I met someone who got a boob job on credit, just slipped the fact she was still making payments on her breast augmentation surgery casually somewhere into a Facebook update one time.

Mom? :ohdear:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Suspicious Lump posted:

But is this standard for month to month renters being charged more?

In most large cities where the supply of renters is inexhaustible (this guy lives in Minneapolis if I remember correctly), very few landlords will even give you the option of a month to month. It's re-up in February for another May-April lease or you're out the door April 30. It sucks for the renter, but it's smart for the landlord. You don't want to be stuck trying to fill an apartment in November.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Generally, after you fulfill your current lease, some management companies may move you to month-to-month with a 60 day notification period.

That said, I've only had that happen to me once. I had to negotiate a 6 month lease after my last year long lease was up, and it cost me another 35 bucks a month.

Now I just buy my homes because that's GWM

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No Butt Stuff posted:

Is it

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

I know juuuust the thread for you.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Can you drive and race your house? :colbert:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Phone posted:

He said home, not house. He could be one of the houseboat elite.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Homeboat.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Mansionboat. http://www.sheknows.com/home-and-gardening/articles/1034093/1910-florida-mansion-moved-down-river-on-a-barge

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I get this image that purestrain BFC GWM posters live in those Japanese hotel tubes. But not the whole tube, the rest they sublet via Airbnb.

I got to witness some GMW or BMW, not sure which. I did a hospital screening that cost a flat $150, no insurance. 2 weeks later I get a bill for $800. I got it cleared up, but the hospital breaks even or makes money off the $150 flat rate they're charging. Yet getting that same work performed by the same hospital outside of this deal, costs 5 times more.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
BWM -

I have had 3 coworkers in their 30s tell me that they just can't wait for midnight tonight for our pay to post. We're paid pretty decently and there's no good reason to live paycheck to paycheck.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

slap me silly posted:

I know juuuust the thread for you.

I'm half kidding.

I've only purchased twice. Both times my company paid all closing costs. And I get VA loans so I didn't have to worry about PMI. And when I sell, the new company paid to sell.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm half kidding.

I've only purchased twice. Both times my company paid all closing costs. And I get VA loans so I didn't have to worry about PMI. And when I sell, the new company paid to sell.

It's you, you are the Housepurchase Unicorn!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah, it's why I can ignore most of the do never buy.

I mean, I still regularly curse owning a home because routine maintenance is just a pain in the dick, let alone actually modifying it, but I treat it as a hobby so meh.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Maybe she is paying a 0% offer :colbert:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Phone posted:

I sleep in a racing car. Do you?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Phone posted:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
So I just bought a truck, horse trailer and a horse for racing purposes. Paid for on credit card to be repaid at the minimum rate of course.

(Cuckmau5)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm half kidding.

I just need to quote this so I can remember to nominate it as a humblebrag in the 2016 Wonderhangers.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yes. I am bragging that I did something that just about anyone with negotiating skills and a penchant for making stupid life choices at 18 can do.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
In the Bad With Money thread. hth

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Update on houseboat guy for the lazy:

Well I guess that explains why there's been a ton of posts since I last checked.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

You know, I think I'd pay to go see that.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CitizenKain posted:

You know, I think I'd pay to go see that.
The best part about poo poo like that is that it only costs $5 at the gate and you can bring your own beer. $1 for women on ladies' night.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Dik Hz posted:

The best part about poo poo like that is that it only costs $5 at the gate and you can bring your own beer. $1 for women on ladies' night.
Redneck hobbies are GWM?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Place back home in Illinois would do figure-8 trailer races. Also figure-8 school bus races. GWM as long as you're not the driver.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Olive Branch posted:

Redneck hobbies are GWM?

I went to events like that when I was a kid. Cheap entertainment. With respect to the drivers if you set up as a business, get sponsors and business cards you could write off your "racing business". So yes.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Holy poo poo Reddit. This stupid motherfucker needs help with his taxes. He asked his employer to withhold extra money so he wouldn't owe money (???), effectively giving the government a tax free loan of 4-5k. But now he really needs the money to buy a car, and wants to know how best to go about giving H&R Block 350 bucks to do his poo poo simple return.

lol

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
China has a booming P2P loan sector, except for the company with 95% fake loans.
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/money-wealth/article/1908096/chinas-hk59-billion-online-ponzi-scheme-who-started-it-how

• Locked thread