Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm loving the visuals of Black Panther. I don't like that Michael B Jordan's character has a panther suit of his own.though. Aside from being gold and having a jaguar head maybe, it looks way too similar. Hopefully he builds up to something more unique in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Can we just skip Infinity War and have two more Black Panther movies after this one?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jamesman posted:

I'm loving the visuals of Black Panther. I don't like that Michael B Jordan's character has a panther suit of his own.though. Aside from being gold and having a jaguar head maybe, it looks way too similar. Hopefully he builds up to something more unique in the movie.

I just kinda assumed that since he's hanging out with klaw they steal a suit at some point

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

site posted:

I just kinda assumed that since he's hanging out with klaw they steal a suit at some point

Yeah. I just hope that it's not a big part of the movie. I don't want a bunch of scenes where Black Panther is fighting Black Panther's Player 2 color scheme, and he gets something more visually distinct during the movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vibranium Man vs Vibranium Monger

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Is that Seoul that he’s jumping around on cars in?

At minimum this will be great to look at (the including the fact that this sure is an attractive bunch of actors). Hope the screenplay is up to snuff.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm not well versed in BP lore. Is it significant that Kill Monger has an American accent as opposed to sounding like T'Challa? Did he grow up outside of Wakanda?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm not well versed in BP lore. Is it significant that Kill Monger has an American accent as opposed to sounding like T'Challa? Did he grow up outside of Wakanda?

In the comics yes. In the movie who knows

I forget if he was born there or just spent time there but his dad was exiled and they ended up in Harlem.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Needless to say "Erik Killmonger" isn't a traditional Wakandian name. Basically when Klaw comes in he forces Killmonger's dad to help him, the dad gets killed when poo poo goes down, and the entire family is forced out. Killmonger trains himself, changes his name, studies at MIT [Who in the Marvel universe probably don't blink twice at a student named "Killmonger"], and goes back to Wakanda with the intent of returning it to it's roots. As you do.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mulva posted:

Needless to say "Erik Killmonger" isn't a traditional Wakandian name. Basically when Klaw comes in he forces Killmonger's dad to help him, the dad gets killed when poo poo goes down, and the entire family is forced out. Killmonger trains himself, changes his name, studies at MIT [Who in the Marvel universe probably don't blink twice at a student named "Killmonger"], and goes back to Wakanda with the intent of returning it to it's roots. As you do.

Tony Stark accidentally funds a Wakandian coup by funding all the projects of MIT students in Civil War. Still can't do anything right.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cool that Marvel's going full on with a Dark Mirror villain, that's pretty untouched ground for them.

(it looks amazing though and I can't wait)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

AngryBooch posted:

Tony Stark accidentally funds a Wakandian coup by funding all the projects of MIT students in Civil War. Still can't do anything right.

Ahahahahahaha yes make this happen please

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

AngryBooch posted:

This would be fantastic.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AngryBooch posted:

I mean who really is gonna question why the buff scientist student is trying to synthesize a weird heart shaped herb from his home nation.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

AngryBooch posted:

I'm gonna be so upset if this doesn't happen now

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Is that Seoul that he’s jumping around on cars in?

At minimum this will be great to look at (the including the fact that this sure is an attractive bunch of actors). Hope the screenplay is up to snuff.

Busan, the 2nd biggest SK city

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Retro Futurist posted:

Cool that Marvel's going full on with a Dark Mirror villain, that's pretty untouched ground for them.
(it looks amazing though and I can't wait)
I mean yes, but Klaue has a gun arm

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
When will Marvel stop the savage murder of cars

(God I'm hyped for this film)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

AngryBooch posted:

I didn't know I needed this to happen and now I'm mad it probably won't, so thanks jerk.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

BrianWilly posted:

When will Marvel stop the savage murder of cars

(God I'm hyped for this film)

A car is a bomb on wheels so I'm not sure why everyone has to point one out whenever one gets exploded in a comic book movie. Hell if I was a villain you'd be drat sure I'd take my time and nuke as many cars as possible as opposed to just clipping them with incidental fire.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

purple death ray posted:

I too think that comic book movies thus far have been too fun and goofy and not grim and violent enough
I think what I described could be fun and goofy in the same way that Snowpiercer is fun and goofy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kai Tave posted:

I didn't know I needed this to happen and now I'm mad it probably won't, so thanks jerk.

He already funded all those projects. It's easy for us to pretend that was the catalyst

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MBJ's hair is turning me gay.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rough Lobster posted:

A car is a bomb on wheels so I'm not sure why everyone has to point one out whenever one gets exploded in a comic book movie. Hell if I was a villain you'd be drat sure I'd take my time and nuke as many cars as possible as opposed to just clipping them with incidental fire.

Cars are combustion chambers on wheels, not bombs. Even shooting directly at the gas tank doesn't usually blow them up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm really glad that they made Wakanda look like a futuristic African city without going to extreme one way or another. I am really hoping that the movie does a lot with the "African" aspect of the character instead of just making him a more traditional international hero. As someone from that great big continent known as the country of Africa (joking here about how international media treats Africa like one generic place) I am really interested in a blockbuster movie actually featuring Africans in Africa rocking out.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Madkal posted:

I'm really glad that they made Wakanda look like a futuristic African city without going to extreme one way or another. I am really hoping that the movie does a lot with the "African" aspect of the character instead of just making him a more traditional international hero. As someone from that great big continent known as the country of Africa (joking here about how international media treats Africa like one generic place) I am really interested in a blockbuster movie actually featuring Africans in Africa rocking out.

I'm a white dude so I really probably need better education on these things but I understand it's pretty easy to loop back around to racist if you try to idolize and fetishize other cultures too hard because you DON'T want to come off as racist. Any thoughts on that? I guess most of what I understand about this comes from "Get Out"

Apologies if this is a strange or weird question, truly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

MBJ's hair is turning me gay.

Everyone in the movie is god damned gorgeous. The whole cast is :swoon:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

omg chael crash posted:

I'm a white dude so I really probably need better education on these things but I understand it's pretty easy to loop back around to racist if you try to idolize and fetishize other cultures too hard because you DON'T want to come off as racist. Any thoughts on that? I guess most of what I understand about this comes from "Get Out"

It's totally reasonable (coming from another white dude), that's just why you get people like Coogler and Coates to make this stuff, both because they're better versed in how to avoid those traps and also because having a black creator inherently lessens that factor.

e: and even without that, defying the popular conception of African nations as poor third-world countries so thoroughly is worth doing on its own.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Arist posted:

It's totally reasonable (coming from another white dude), that's just why you get people like Coogler and Coates to make this stuff, both because they're better versed in how to avoid those traps and also because having a black creator inherently lessens that factor.

e: and even without that, defying the popular conception of African nations as poor third-world countries so thoroughly is worth doing on its own.

I remember the backlash Eddie Murphy got for Coming to America. It doesn't lessen THAT much if I can remember it 30 years later. Of course his vision of Zmunda (sp?) was over the top, but that's what Eddie Murphy is. Or was.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eddie Murphy only did the story for Coming to America, though. It was directed by John Landis.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Arist posted:

Eddie Murphy only did the story for Coming to America, though. It was directed by John Landis.

He's the creator though. This was Eddie at his peak popularity and he still got a ton of flack for it. Even if Landis directed it, it was clearly Eddie's movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe I'm too young, what was the coming to America backlash? I only know it as universally loved.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I only remember that it was basically a McDonald's commercial and some lady grabbed Eddie Murphy's bongos at a basketball game.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I only remember that it was basically a McDonald's commercial and some lady grabbed Eddie Murphy's bongos at a basketball game.

It's not a McDonald's! It's a McDowell's! They have the Golden Arches, he has the Golden Arcs. They have a Bic Mac, he has a Big Mick.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Maybe I'm too young, what was the coming to America backlash? I only know it as universally loved.

People didn't like how it depicted Africa and Africans.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like Eddie Murphy gets a pass

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I'm African American and my parents are hella African (Somali) and we loving loved that movie.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

AngryBooch posted:

This is canon in my heart now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

omg chael crash posted:

Actually I am a white guy as well so I really really really can't talk about the experience of all "Africans", just like a muslim Nigerian probably couldn't talk about the Sferdic Jew in Algeria's experience who couldn't talk about the Ndebele Zimbabwean's experience. I was born and raised in South Africa and lived there for 18 years before moving to Canada.
Yes it is easy to fetishize any culture though to the point that it becomes something completely divorced from reality. My favourite example of this is people who become obsessed with anime and then all things Japanese to the point that they hold the culture in high esteem without understanding any of it.
When it comes to Africa what a lot of people fail to understand is that it isn't one homogeneous land mass, but a giant continent filled with lots and lots of different countries, and each country is filled with several tribes (thanks colonialism for your bullshit borders and whatnot) who bring in their own culture and practices. There isn't one unified religion, style, language or anything really to unite the continent from top to bottom so when places in Africa are portrayed in western media it is done in the most generic way possible (I guess for a close analogy of this think of Native Americans and how, even though there are different tribes and whatnot, they are portrayed in film, especially older movies). Usually the generic way is extremely stereotypical and it kind of annoys me when that happens. Beyond the different cultures and such there are many cities throughout Africa that are built up like first world cities, that look like they could be anywhere in the world, that are modern and as metropolitan as anything in America, but when it comes to Africa, you are only starting to see that now.

As far as Coming to America goes, I can't say I have really seen it outside of some parts on TV I guess. If you want, you can go into thinking Murphy is making fun of people's perceptions of Africa, or that it shows a positive portrayal by showing Africans as being smart and funny and charming, or that it is satirizing western ideals. I can't really say though because I haven't seen the whole movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 41 minutes!

omg chael crash posted:

No, I get it. I was illustrating a children's book a few years ago and had to draw (in a stylized exaggerated way), kids of many different races and it was often hard for me, as a white guy, to do it in ways that didn't seem racist or exploitative.

• Locked thread