Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Falukorv posted:

And speaking of birds, no scandinavian bird is as gorgeous as the Nötskrika (Eurasian jay).

It's always odd when similar sounding words can mean something completely different. A nøddekrige is one of these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

THE BAR posted:

It's always odd when similar sounding words can mean something completely different. A nøddekrige is one of these guys.

That's a nötkråka

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

THE BAR posted:

Should've posted a dobbeltbekkasin, op.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/polisen-i-stockholm-koranbranningar-kommer-i-regel-inte-att-tillatas

Government now explicitly decides what types of protests are allowed and which ones aren't. Welcome to right-wing police state everybody.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/polisen-i-stockholm-koranbranningar-kommer-i-regel-inte-att-tillatas

Government now explicitly decides what types of protests are allowed and which ones aren't. Welcome to right-wing police state everybody.

As far as I can tell one could just skip the whole demonstration-part of the burning and go burn a book outside the Turkish embassy without asking permission first. As long as the goal is to piss off Erdo (and or a minority of your choise) you don't need a crowd, as Paludan made apparent.

EDIT: also lol at Police ignoring the law.

Ordningslagen posted:

10 § Tillstånd till en allmän sammankomst får vägras endast om det är nödvändigt med hänsyn till ordningen eller säkerheten vid sammankomsten eller, som en direkt följd av den, i dess omedelbara omgivning eller med hänsyn till trafiken eller för att motverka epidemi.

That paragraph isn't really ambigous or open to wider interpretatiosn of "security" or "national interest"

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 17, 2023

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/WRo1dk/alzheimersjuka-kathleen-ska-utvisas-till-storbritannien

Like this is downright routine, and I get it, laws, but we don’t need to be doing this. It’s callous.

However The Guardian covered it, so here’s hoping Migrationsverket feels embarrassment (not for the act, but for getting caught).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
This is like the third article like that that I've seen in the recent couple of months.

I guess old sick ladies are much easier to kick out of the country than the violent criminals. Maybe someone should tell that old lady to stab someone? Then she'll get to stay as long as she wants apparently.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

This is like the third article like that that I've seen in the recent couple of months.

I guess old sick ladies are much easier to kick out of the country than the violent criminals. Maybe someone should tell that old lady to stab someone? Then she'll get to stay as long as she wants apparently.

To be fair the bureaucracy doesn't give a poo poo who you are. They're also deporting young British (white!)people with jobs who missed the deadline to lock in residency under the DK/UK agreement.

The two governments agreed that anyone with EU-citizenship-based residency just needed to apply for a new, free-of-charge card. Also that a UK citizen who had 5-years residency in DK was still eligible to apply for *permanent* residency as long as your stay here was before Brexit.

They're showing, as far as I can see, zero tolerance to anyone - some Yank professor married to a Dane who's lived here a decade or more got deported a while back. No papers? Bye.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

They're showing, as far as I can see, zero tolerance to anyone - some Yank professor married to a Dane who's lived here a decade or more got deported a while back. No papers? Bye.
TBH watching privileged professional lib-types getting owned by the policies they've tolerated until then is loving hilarious. Old ladies, not so much.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

evil_bunnY posted:

TBH watching privileged professional lib-types getting owned by the policies they've tolerated until then is loving hilarious. Old ladies, not so much.

Yeah gently caress those foreign workers for tolerating racist European immigration policies! That's on them for sure.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Showing the term "lib" so commonly tossed about here just means "someone I don't like", like "nazi".

As a non-citizen, my ability to impact government policy is basically nil, in part due to the fact most Danes neither know nor care *at all* about government policy screwing over foreigners living here - nobody cares enough to protest. It's an entire country of lumpenproletariat.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

:respek:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
If you're worried about that no problems, Sd just got M to fire the boss at Migrationsverket so that they can appoint someone more trigger-happy about sending away kids while their parents are allowed to stay, old people with incurable deceases etc.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Barn till utrikes födda hör ofta till en av de mest ekonomiskt utsatta i samhället. Maria Malmer Stenergard tror inte att ett förändrat regelverk leder till att fler barn växer upp i fattigdom, men menar att man även ska ta hänsyn till föräldrarnas förmåga.

– Jag är fullt övertygad om att den kravlösa integrationspolitik vi har haft, som har inneburit att man får bidrag oavsett hur mycket man har ansträngt sig, den leder till utanförskap i mycket större utsträckning än om du faktiskt vågar ställa krav, säger hon.

Ah yes, thats how we like it, keep 'em poor and desperate, that'll teach 'em.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Ah yes, thats how we like it, keep 'em poor and desperate, that'll teach 'em.

I know that in the third world country of the US of A they actively sabotage education opportunities because poorly educated are the primary voting base of the right(er)-wing party, but is that also the case in other countries I wonder?
I haven't seen the statistics about the correlation between voting preferences and education level for Sweden.

Orio
May 16, 2022

evil_bunnY posted:

Wow, this is pretty disgusting tack to take based on broad generalizations of people you know nothing about. I guess it's OK to act like a piece of poo poo in service of "owning the libs." gently caress you.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I know that in the third world country of the US of A they actively sabotage education opportunities because poorly educated are the primary voting base of the right(er)-wing party, but is that also the case in other countries I wonder?
I haven't seen the statistics about the correlation between voting preferences and education level for Sweden.

Anecdotal but the Livets Hårda Skola types are incredibly similar to the School of Hard Knocks types. It’s…a bit uncanny

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah gently caress those foreign nationals for not personally materializing their vast political capital to oust the racist majority of our elected officials, they had it coming

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Støjberg and gang don't give a gently caress about white lib professionals coming here, in fact, they've shown time and again that they're willing to change legislation if it inadvertently impacted the wrong people.

Rust Martialis posted:

It's an entire country of lumpenproletariat.

Speaking of terms devoid of meaning through misuse.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I like how this was about Sweden but somehow now it’s the perfidious Dane

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

always
be
trashing
denmark

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

teen witch posted:

Whenever Denmark is not in the post, all the other posters should be asking, "Where's Denmark?"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know Denmark tends to stand out but as far as I'm concerned we are all brothers and sisters and siblings in perfidy.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I know Denmark tends to stand out but as far as I'm concerned we are all brothers and sisters and siblings in perfidy.

Trying to steal our thunder, are we?!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

teen witch posted:

We did send Paludan to .se

:sickos:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Whenever Denmark is not in the post, all the other posters should be asking, "Where's Denmark?"

European Court of Human Rights. Again.

But yeah, Poochie of nations.

(Denmark descended below the waves on the way to merge with Blighted Albion.)

Rust Martialis posted:

We did send Paludan to .se

:sickos:

He's a dual citizen.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Which nations would you least like to hand over to Cthulhu?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Rappaport posted:

Which nations would you least like to hand over to Cthulhu?

it feels as though something very terrible would happen if we tried to sacrifice iceland, so probably them

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

Showing the term "lib" so commonly tossed about here just means "someone I don't like", like "nazi".

As a non-citizen, my ability to impact government policy is basically nil, in part due to the fact most Danes neither know nor care *at all* about government policy screwing over foreigners living here - nobody cares enough to protest. It's an entire country of lumpenproletariat.
I use Lib for non-right wing people with zero class-consciousness, a description literally every professor I've met fits.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

teen witch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCB2y5tUky8

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

it feels as though something very terrible would happen if we tried to sacrifice iceland, so probably them

So much for that NATO umbrella :smith:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Rappaport posted:

So much for that NATO umbrella :smith:

the magic of that isle is too powerful. it must be kept safe, even from the elder gods

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

I use Lib for non-right wing people with zero class-consciousness, a description literally every professor I've met fits.

So you don't know a lot of academics. Mazel tov.

My old philosophy professor Dan Goldstick (PHL 216H) would be a nice counterexample.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Goldstick

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

the magic of that isle is too powerful. it must be kept safe, even from the elder gods

Aww man, you're giving me those Colder War wibes now. All I wanted was to make a silly joke! Now Nyarlathotep is pointing and laughing at me! That is not good!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Can't give up iceland, it's the only place that will retain civilization in the post apocalyptic silent world.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rappaport posted:

Aww man, you're giving me those Colder War wibes now. All I wanted was to make a silly joke! Now Nyarlathotep is pointing and laughing at me! That is not good!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

Have you met like…professors? Like of varying areas of study, backgrounds, regions? Because I have some bad news

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

So you don't know a lot of academics. Mazel tov.

My old philosophy professor Dan Goldstick (PHL 216H) would be a nice counterexample.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Goldstick
I know plenty of (nice) academics. Full profs are never pleasant.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

I know plenty of (nice) academics. Full profs are never pleasant.

Nonsense. I've known lots of quite pleasant ones across multiple disciplines including Dan Goldstick, who was the ideology chief in the Canadian Communist Party politburo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

in my field*, at least, most professors and associate professors are just smart turbonerds. they have very little engagement with broader society, because they don't have to and they're not necessarily especially good at it; they've found their niche and are comfortable in it, and so rarely feel called to say anything more political than "habitat erosion is bad" or "biodiversity is good", let alone formulate any sophisticated political perspective. many consider such things to be vaguely vulgar.

this does also apply to "regular people", but from my experience being "lib" in this regard seems to correlate fairly well with having a permanent academic post. obviously there are exceptions to this but beyond the obvious hyperbole i don't see evil_bunnY's statement as especially outrageous.

it may well be different once one leaves the natural sciences, though.

*life sciences, i'm a working scientist fwiw