Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol none of them would give a gently caress about the Star Wars prequels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lol none of them would give a gently caress about the Star Wars prequels

No, sorry I wasn't being clear. Go tell CineD that the Star Wars prequels suck.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Tell them Spider-Man homecoming sucks, aka the truth.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

😭

Respectfully disagree.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

a bone to pick posted:

It probably would've been worse if it didn't have Michael Keaton in it. However, it did have Michael Keaton in it, and therefore was good. The CG wasn't very good a few times, and Marissa Tomei's wardrobe consultant or whatever wasn't very good, but otherwise was a perfectly acceptable Marvel movie elevated by that fact that Michael Keaton was in it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Move the thread to CineD and argue with any CineD poster who complains.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i still cry myself to sleep every night when i think hbomberguy (who is usually very right and funny about most things) likes the prequels and made a really bad argument against the plinkett reviews. i should've known when he said no man's sky was good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Dog posted:

I think the implicit argument being made by a lot of CineD isn't that bad movies aren't bad, it's that bad movies aren't inherently worthless. For the forum about discussing movies, you get a lot more mileage out of the question "what does this movie mean?" than you do out of "is this movie bad, y/n?"

except they exclusively talk about garbage comic book and cartoon movies for children. If they wanted to talk seriously about movies they'd occasionally talk about good movies. Instead they talk endlessly about the same poo poo as everyone else but they've turned being contrarian about comic book movies into some sort of self-congratulatory game

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Christ if you guys aren't watching SF Debris look at the filming of Empire and Jedi, you should.
http://sfdebris.com/videos/special/shadowsjourney.php

The latest video talks about how shooting in the California redwood forests had the crew worried that someone might think Chewbacca was Bigfoot and might shoot him. Or how they forced all the dwarf actors playing ewoks to live in a hotel in Mexico because they thought they'd all get rowdy and start crazy parties off the set.

EDIT: And upon watching this latest video, I just realized why Chuck kept splicing scenes of prequel Anakin into each section of the retrospective. George Lucas is a self inflicted Darth Vader upon his own life.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 19, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i like how rogue one put in the lovely laughably bad lava castle from luca's version of empire strikes back. why the gently caress would you do that. why did they put it on a planet from the prequels. why isn't disney just ignoring the prequels. whyyyy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

except they exclusively talk about garbage comic book and cartoon movies for children. If they wanted to talk seriously about movies they'd occasionally talk about good movies. Instead they talk endlessly about the same poo poo as everyone else but they've turned being contrarian about comic book movies into some sort of self-congratulatory game

Yea, that's my favorite part, there's no giant threads discussing small indie or foreign films or even classics, it's all the same pop monoculture poo poo that RLM reviews.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

i like how rogue one put in the lovely laughably bad lava castle from luca's version of empire strikes back. why the gently caress would you do that. why did they put it on a planet from the prequels. why isn't disney just ignoring the prequels. whyyyy.

all of this just so Vader could deliver one of the cheesiest lines in Star Wars history.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

hbomberguy (who is usually very right and funny about most things)

Nah.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he's only been wrong about ds2 (he wasn't wrong that it was good it was just his argument defended a bunch of bad stuff and he didn't bring up a lot of good things), no man's sky (game was still poo poo even if you hadn't listened to any of the dev lies), and the prequels. he's quite humorous when he dunks on red pillers.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Guy Goodbody posted:

except they exclusively talk about garbage comic book and cartoon movies for children.

This is the correct criticism of CineD. You'll have a 3 page thread on the latest Coen Brothers movie right below a 300 page thread about Pacific Rim.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Star Wars is lame.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Dog posted:

This is the correct criticism of CineD. You'll have a 3 page thread on the latest Coen Brothers movie right below a 300 page thread about Pacific Rim.

Pacific Rim owned, dude.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Sorry, everyone. Spider-Man 6 was dull as hell.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Pacific Rim owned, dude.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Pacific Rim, the gentleman's anime

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Arcsquad12 posted:

Christ if you guys aren't watching SF Debris look at the filming of Empire and Jedi, you should.
http://sfdebris.com/videos/special/shadowsjourney.php

The latest video talks about how shooting in the California redwood forests had the crew worried that someone might think Chewbacca was Bigfoot and might shoot him. Or how they forced all the dwarf actors playing ewoks to live in a hotel in Mexico because they thought they'd all get rowdy and start crazy parties off the set.

EDIT: And upon watching this latest video, I just realized why Chuck kept splicing scenes of prequel Anakin into each section of the retrospective. George Lucas is a self inflicted Darth Vader upon his own life.

it's probably the best thing sfdebris has ever done.

he did a gently caress ton of research for this.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

General Dog posted:

Pacific Rim isn't anime because the Asian girl was far too old to be sexy to anime fans.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I couldn't enjoy pacific rim because the whole movie I'm like "Why don't they adapt some of these robot-mounted weapons onto tanks or ships or planes and just have a much more effective conventional military". Spent the entire movie with a million "why don't they just..." questions using the films own internal logic. The opening act was fun, charlie day is a treat, but like Transformers it just became a bunch of noisy metal and meat.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Dog posted:

it's not anime, it's live action.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Guy Goodbody posted:

it's not anime, it's live action.

The CG sections are basically anime, so all of the important stuff in Pacific Rim is anime.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The animation didn't look like a child's scribbles so it's not anime.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pacific Rim must be anime, because anime sucks, and Pacific Rim SUUUUUUCCCCKKKKEEEEEDDDD.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Anime is bad.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also "Hail, Ceasar!" was good but not great.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pacific Rim must be anime, because anime sucks, and Pacific Rim SUUUUUUCCCCKKKKEEEEEDDDD.

So your posts are anime? 🤔

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Baronjutter posted:

I couldn't enjoy pacific rim because the whole movie I'm like "Why don't they adapt some of these robot-mounted weapons onto tanks or ships or planes and just have a much more effective conventional military". Spent the entire movie with a million "why don't they just..." questions using the films own internal logic. The opening act was fun, charlie day is a treat, but like Transformers it just became a bunch of noisy metal and meat.

No alloys!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i could mostly see what was happening in pacific rim which has never been true of transmorphers.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I guess I just have a higher threshold of disbelief for films where there are giant robots fighting kaiju monsters.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

So your posts are anime? 🤔

lmao

I also thought PR was bad but Gdt made Pans Labyrinth so he can do whatever the gently caress he likes forever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The only reason Pacific Rim robots needed two synced up pilots or whatever was to enable the tragic backstory and romance aspects, right? Could never really figure out the reason for that (and the really inconveniently placed manual controls)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

priznat posted:

The only reason Pacific Rim robots needed two synced up pilots or whatever was to enable the tragic backstory and romance aspects, right? Could never really figure out the reason for that (and the really inconveniently placed manual controls)

The synced pilots thing was a way to have the characters bond on an intimate level and show backstories, yeah. And establish the technology so Charlie could get memories from the monster. Are you asking about the in-universe explanation? They said that linking to a Jaeger put too much strain on one person.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

priznat posted:

You need one person to control the left brain of the robot and one person to control the right brain of the robot.

How else are you gonna control a giant robot?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lmao

I also thought PR was bad but Gdt made Pans Labyrinth so he can do whatever the gently caress he likes forever.

His new movie, The Shape of Water, looks motherfucking dope.

Guillermo Del Toro is back, baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8GGWphVr3A

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That trailer has one really spoilerific shot and I actually wouldn't recommend watching it!

Looks cool though, visuals are great and my boy Michael Shannon is doing his Boardwalk Empire thing 😍

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's a hellboy prequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Pacific Rim was good but I had a couple problems with it. First, i thought it was kind of boring how all of the kaiju had the same origin. They were all just monsters created by the same aliens for the same purpose. I like it better in the Godzilla movies where you have a bunch of different monsters that all came from different places and have different goals and personalities. Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidora, and so on. Second problem was that the main protagonist was kind of boring.

• Locked thread