Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

drat, nice poem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Who wrote this character? Is she supposed to come off like she's on the verge of a mental breakdown?

That's the second barely-coherent line from this woman.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
to be fair that would be a good way for her to come off

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
https://s1.webmshare.com/M061r.webm

idgi is she for or against poetry?

CJ fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 17, 2017

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

the poetry...drat I guess this game is good.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
ah yes, the famous line: "we came here to make history, not repeat it"

like, she's obviously referencing santayana, but how clunky could you get? if she quoted the actual line, it might actually work

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 17, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Have greenmangaming or amazon sent out codes for pre-load yet?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This game looks pretty bad and all of this bad press would cause me to not buy it... Except that multiplayer exists and I'll totally buy it JUST for that if it's as fun as ME3's multiplayer. It feels weird saying that about an ME game when I'm someone who thinks ME2 is the best game of its console generation.

I played a lot of ME3 multiplayer and when I heard the single player was bad I never touched it and still felt like I got my money's worth.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Okay so about 740 pages ago or whatever someone said that the pseudo-famous Indian dude voicing the Salarian director (Kumal something-or-other) "knocked it out of the park" and that's a completely laughable statement. I can hear him reading off the paper. It's like listening to classmates in high school English being forced to read the text.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Multiplayer slaps especially with the APEX mission modifiers provided by the strike team missions

I wish they kept multiplayer off the 10 hour limit for people who bought the game

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Legs Benedict posted:

if i played a game for fifty loving hours i certainly wouldn't be calling it bad, or even average.

I, on the other hand, remember Oblivion.

Did anyone use any new tech or combat powers? Some discussion itt about biotic powers, nine about the rest.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 17, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Republicans posted:

I played a lot of ME3 multiplayer and when I heard the single player was bad I never touched it and still felt like I got my money's worth.

I only heard the ending was bad, but it didn't have a bunch of characters from ME2 so I didn't care enough to play after you escaped Earth alive.
Multiplayer was pretty good with a goon crew though.

At some point, I really want to do a human supremacist Renegade run, just to see what happens.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah. I was able to put in 3 hours(30 minutes to create my FemRyder) or so tonight(bout to go to Eos). I had fun playing and found the story hooks interesting enough.

Animations aren't good, but I am able to for the most part ignore them. Or at least laugh off the really bad ones.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Republicans posted:

Yeah I'm kinda in the same boat even though I finished ME3. I didn't care the ending was bad, but the entire internet talking about how bad the ending was kind of killed my enjoyment of the rest of the game. And then I played the MP for like 40 hours.

Watching the Giant Bomb stream... I'm ok with the ME + DA:I they're going for. I'm a huge DA:I fan though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Dexo posted:

Yeah. I was able to put in 3 hours(30 minutes to create my FemRyder) or so tonight(bout to go to Eos). I had fun playing and found the story hooks interesting enough.

Animations aren't good, but I am able to for the most part ignore them. Or at least laugh off the really bad ones.

fake news! the game is very bad

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The pathfinder came
And he was a toiler
Bacteria game
Post the loving spoiler

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

doingitwrong posted:

I've made it to the end of the trial and my verdict is: this is a game for genre fans (the genre being Bioware Game) not a world changing ground breaking piece of art. To put this in context, I liked DA2 as an entry in the series despite its obvious flaws because it also did some interesting new things and I enjoyed hanging around with those characters. To me, ME:A feels like it's setting up to be similar quality on a different axis. Where DA2 fell down on environments ME:A seems like it's going to fall down on polish.

As many posters have confirmed, there are a lot of animation problems. Some strange lip things, some weird face stuff, some strange walks. This definitely feels like a story being acted out by dolls. If that bothers you this is not the game for you. (The infamous PeeBee backwards gun made it into the trial.) I will say that the faces generally do a better job than Horizon: Clenched Teeth.

The combat is fun. Zipping around with the jump and boost is exciting and the soft cover worked well for me. Your squad mates don't have shield stripping abilities in the demo which is annoying if you were gonna be a biotic. I am looking forward to unlocking more abilities and playing mix and match across classes.

The Nexus is like the Citadel and brings back the worst of the sidequests there: "Walk from this place to that place often through a loading screen, making no decisions, to advance." The trial doesn't offer any truly interesting multiple outcome quests. I hope the main game has more.

The upgrade system is going to be a pain. There are so many resources and currencies involved and the interface is pretty hard to go through. It probably won't be as bad as ME 1 but it's not as streamlined as ME 2. The plus side is there are A LOT of guns and upgrades which should be fun to play around with. On Hardcore the guns you start with end up feeling pretty wimpy and a bunch of guys end up being kind of bullet spongey.

The writing is mixed. Tonally, it's more of an adventure story than ME1-3. It feels more personal than ME so far (part of what reminds me of DA2). We've gotten hints that untangling your dad's legacy and caring for your sibling will be big parts of this, and the dynamics of the Nexus and the colonists feel like family squabbles. A lot of people know your family and have opinions about your dad and you not living up to him. You don't command respect here except for from the desperate. There are Whedonesque jokes that don't always land. There are problems where lines trigger on top of other lines (scanning-the thing you want to do while listening to recordings is a big cause of this when a scan triggers a line that cuts off other lines). I don't know yet how well realized these characters are. We've only just met them.

Overall, I had a good time and I am looking forward to the full release. There are plenty of stories that I am curious about how they end up, and I really liked zipping around and blasting dudes, grabbing them and tossing them around. I hope that the game stays at the more personal level (I am sick of saving worlds and galaxies). There is a lot wrong with the game, and I'm confirming here a lot of what other people have said. This is a flawed game that seems like it's going to do some interesting things.

Well I came here to write an effort post about my thoughts after ten hours but yeah this is pretty much where my head is at.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

JBP posted:

The pathfinder came
And he was a toiler
Bacteria game
Post the loving spoiler

That's how bad it is.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I wish they just used Ryder rather than Pathfinder, but in story. A pathfinder showing up with their ark does kinda make for a big loving deal.

I get the characters latching on to the "Pathfinder" as a symbol of hope after they had managed to have a mutiny and a whole race leave the Nexus within like a year.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Does anyone get the embarrassing "stick a digitized version of some D-list nerd celebrity's tits and dead eyes in the game" treatment that Jessica Chobot had last go around?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
some indian guy no one knows of

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bloodysabbath posted:

Does anyone get the embarrassing "stick a digitized version of some D-list nerd celebrity's tits and dead eyes in the game" treatment that Jessica Chobot had last go around?

I don't think so.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

I've made it to the end of the trial and my verdict is: this is a game for genre fans (the genre being Bioware Game) not a world changing ground breaking piece of art. To put this in context, I liked DA2 as an entry in the series despite its obvious flaws because it also did some interesting new things and I enjoyed hanging around with those characters. To me, ME:A feels like it's setting up to be similar quality on a different axis. Where DA2 fell down on environments ME:A seems like it's going to fall down on polish.

As many posters have confirmed, there are a lot of animation problems. Some strange lip things, some weird face stuff, some strange walks. This definitely feels like a story being acted out by dolls. If that bothers you this is not the game for you. (The infamous PeeBee backwards gun made it into the trial.) I will say that the faces generally do a better job than Horizon: Clenched Teeth.

The combat is fun. Zipping around with the jump and boost is exciting and the soft cover worked well for me. Your squad mates don't have shield stripping abilities in the demo which is annoying if you were gonna be a biotic. I am looking forward to unlocking more abilities and playing mix and match across classes.

The Nexus is like the Citadel and brings back the worst of the sidequests there: "Walk from this place to that place often through a loading screen, making no decisions, to advance." The trial doesn't offer any truly interesting multiple outcome quests. I hope the main game has more.

The upgrade system is going to be a pain. There are so many resources and currencies involved and the interface is pretty hard to go through. It probably won't be as bad as ME 1 but it's not as streamlined as ME 2. The plus side is there are A LOT of guns and upgrades which should be fun to play around with. On Hardcore the guns you start with end up feeling pretty wimpy and a bunch of guys end up being kind of bullet spongey.

The writing is mixed. Tonally, it's more of an adventure story than ME1-3. It feels more personal than ME so far (part of what reminds me of DA2). We've gotten hints that untangling your dad's legacy and caring for your sibling will be big parts of this, and the dynamics of the Nexus and the colonists feel like family squabbles. A lot of people know your family and have opinions about your dad and you not living up to him. You don't command respect here except for from the desperate. There are Whedonesque jokes that don't always land. There are problems where lines trigger on top of other lines (scanning-the thing you want to do while listening to recordings is a big cause of this when a scan triggers a line that cuts off other lines). I don't know yet how well realized these characters are. We've only just met them.

Overall, I had a good time and I am looking forward to the full release. There are plenty of stories that I am curious about how they end up, and I really liked zipping around and blasting dudes, grabbing them and tossing them around. I hope that the game stays at the more personal level (I am sick of saving worlds and galaxies). There is a lot wrong with the game, and I'm confirming here a lot of what other people have said. This is a flawed game that seems like it's going to do some interesting things.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Well I came here to write an effort post about my thoughts after ten hours but yeah this is pretty much where my head is at.

Thirded.

Slim Killington posted:

Okay so about 740 pages ago or whatever someone said that the pseudo-famous Indian dude voicing the Salarian director (Kumal something-or-other) "knocked it out of the park" and that's a completely laughable statement. I can hear him reading off the paper. It's like listening to classmates in high school English being forced to read the text.

Yeah, he's really weird. Some lines he's so wooden it stops being funny and other lines he's actually doing a good job, so I'm going to chalk it up to inexperience and poor direction. I'm sad I can't be the Gilfoyle to his Dinesh, though.

I also found Cora to be a bit bland, but I really liked Liam. Only just met Vetra before I ran out of time but she's fine so far?.

EDIT: Also, he's Pakistani.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na4GYyJwYjQ

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Whats vetra like

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Tried multiplayer - rubberband city and slo-mo lag in every game, probably something up with my Fios connection? The UI is especially atrocious in multiplayer, managing mods and weapons aren't intuitive. There's also an armor tab that I don't know what it's for, they don't say poo poo about it.

Also is VOIP with voice detection on by default or something? Whenever someone joined they would drown out all other sounds with whatever they were listening to in the background and muting didn't seem to work. I guess I was muting them, I don't know, because the UI is poo poo.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Whats vetra like

Super limited experience with her, but she seems to be the smooth-talker rogue-ish type.

chami posted:

Tried multiplayer - rubberband city and slo-mo lag in every game, probably something up with my Fios connection? The UI is especially atrocious in multiplayer, managing mods and weapons aren't intuitive. There's also an armor tab that I don't know what it's for, they don't say poo poo about it.

Also is VOIP with voice detection on by default or something? Whenever someone joined they would drown out all other sounds with whatever they were listening to in the background and muting didn't seem to work. I guess I was muting them, I don't know, because the UI is poo poo.

Rubberbanding is terrible if you have lag, but I'll mostly be playing this with my friends who all live on the same island so it won't be a big deal. The VOIP issue is terrible though, but at least you can mute people this time around (you couldn't in ME3, iirc). Setting it to disable does nothing, so my band-aid fix was to set it to Push-to-talk and then never press the button.

To mute people while already in a match, you press Esc, click on their name, which will bring up the Origin overlay, press Esc to close the overlay and then press X to mute. It is horribly annoying.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 17, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
well i just learned you can jetjumpmelee punch dudes to death

risky on this difficulty setting but well worth it anyway

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Whats vetra like

what are ya buyin'

what are ya sellin'

come back anytime hehe...

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Did anyone use any new tech or combat powers? Some discussion itt about biotic powers, nine about the rest.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

"I wish I'd saved Ashley..." :911:

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Barrier is pretty decent to help close off an area (creates temporary cover that increases shield/health regen).

Flak Cannon is fun, its basically a cluster grenade. Does a ton of damage if you use it in an enclosed space.

Cryo Beam is like Flamethrower, but ice.

Trip Mine has improved significantly this time around, the detection range has increased and the damage too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CJ posted:

https://s1.webmshare.com/M061r.webm

idgi is she for or against poetry?

We don't have enough food or essential supplies but by golly are we well stocked with makeup for our voyage into another galaxy.

Probably a whole cargo bay dedicated to earrings and different kinds of stockings.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Here are predictions about the plot based on four hours of play and reading staggeringly unsubtle writing:

- Papa Ryder is not actually dead, he joined forces with the Kett because he's a mad scientist who'll do anything if it's novel enough / if it gives him the chance to do something impressive.
- The Kett race is dying because of the Scourge and they're locking down ruins because they're frantically trying to figure out how to stop it. Enter Papa Ryder offering his services.

What the hell, let's say also that this is actually a spiritual successor to Jade Empire, and that Papa Ryder gave you SAM symbiosis so you could test it and increase its power before he takes it from you at the dramatic climaxs

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is this game still bad

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
IMO:
Mass Effect (the first) was a Good Game. I honestly didn't mind the inventory management.. it could even be modded to 500-1000+ item limits, and all the weapon mods were cool. Explosive ammo shotguns were the best. Ragdolls all over the place.
Mass Effect 2 was a Great game, and the best of the series.
Mass Effect 3 was also a Good Game, and the Citadel DLC was on par with the best of ME2. Only the ending was a bit meh.

Andromeda, on the other hand, looks like utter crapola. I think I'll give it a few hours and then get a refund unless it knocks my socks off somehow.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Here are predictions about the plot based on four hours of play and reading staggeringly unsubtle writing:

- Papa Ryder is not actually dead, he joined forces with the Kett because he's a mad scientist who'll do anything if it's novel enough / if it gives him the chance to do something impressive.
- The Kett race is dying because of the Scourge and they're locking down ruins because they're frantically trying to figure out how to stop it. Enter Papa Ryder offering his services.

What the hell, let's say also that this is actually a spiritual successor to Jade Empire, and that Papa Ryder gave you SAM symbiosis so you could test it and increase its power before he takes it from you at the dramatic climaxs

You wildly misread what was going on at the end of Habitat 7

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kirios posted:

Is this game still bad

By all indications, it doesn't seem like how a good game should seem

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Kirios posted:

Is this game still bad

hive concencus is in flux at the moment, please stand by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kirios posted:

Is this game still bad

It's as good as your EA infotainment reviewer paycheck is.