Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
No new yorker either. Ey I'm wokin here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Rutibex posted:

you forgot "native american wearing feathers and head dress"

drat, I got all excited and read the entire castlist again. As a native american, I'll main any native I see in any game that has them, representation feels amazing even if it's clumsy at times. Basically, give me the option to play Joe Medicine Crow https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Medicine_Crow .

Wikipedia posted:

After spending the latter half of 1942 working in the naval ship yards in Bremerton, Washington, Medicine Crow joined the U.S. Army in 1943. He became a scout in the 103rd Infantry Division, and fought in World War II. Whenever he went into battle, he wore his war paint (two red stripes on his arms) beneath his uniform and a sacred yellow painted eagle feather, provided by a "sundance" medicine man, beneath his helmet.

Medicine Crow completed all four tasks required to become a war chief: touching an enemy without killing him (counting coup), taking an enemy's weapon, leading a successful war party, and stealing an enemy's horse. He touched a living enemy soldier and disarmed him after turning a corner and finding himself face to face with a young German soldier:

The collision knocked the German's weapon to the ground. Mr. Crow lowered his own weapon and the two fought hand-to-hand. In the end Mr. Crow got the best of the German, grabbing him by the neck and choking him. He was going to kill the German soldier on the spot when the man screamed out 'momma.' Mr. Crow then let him go.

He also led a successful war party and stole fifty horses owned by the Nazi SS from a German camp singing a traditional Crow honor song as he rode off.

Medicine Crow is the last member of the Crow tribe to become a war chief. He was interviewed and appeared in the 2007 Ken Burns PBS series The War, describing his World War II service. Filmmaker Ken Burns said, "The story of Joseph Medicine Crow is something I've wanted to tell for 20 years."

Olaf The Stout fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 14, 2019

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Rutibex posted:

you forgot "native american wearing feathers and head dress"

They got that
https://kotaku.com/blizzard-might-have-clarified-pharahs-controversial-bac-1795377772

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Olaf The Stout posted:

drat, I got all excited and read the entire castlist again. As a native american, I'll main any native I see in any game that has them, representation feels amazing even if it's clumsy at times. Basically, give me the option to play Joe Medicine Crow https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Medicine_Crow .

I thought the Assassin's Creed 3 guy was good even though a lot of people didn't like him.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Twelve Batmans posted:

And where's the construction worker?!

they have one of those but he's also a dwarf

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Olaf The Stout posted:

It's good to know someone mains T.Hawk

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chomp8645 posted:

Basically you get one character per identifiable stereotype of a people/place. It has absolutely nothing to do with real population makeup.

honestly i'm just glad they haven't made a hawaiian character because they'd just make him either Iz or The Rock and neither of those are even positive caricatures

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The White Dragon posted:

honestly i'm just glad they haven't made a hawaiian character because they'd just make him either Iz or The Rock and neither of those are even positive caricatures

Apex Legends kind of already beat them to the punch with Gibraltar, albeit he's a mix of a bunch of polynesian cultures. Pretty sure they'd have gotten The Rock to voice him if they could afford it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I can't think of anything more perfect than Gibraltar voiced by "The Rock"

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Finally finished Alien Isolation. Fantastic game. I personally consider it System Shock 3.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

Pretty sure they'd have gotten The Rock to voice him if they could afford it

i'm sure he would've been happy to oblige, he does nic cage tier suburban mom-charming family movies all the time and this would've been a nice change of pace for him

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

Just let people upload custom skins. like the good old days.

Hope you like fighting hitlers

The fighting hitlers, coming soon to a tournament near you

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I think all the extra Ninendo-life poo poo like Miis and amiibos and poo poo is dumb as hell but I'll be hosed raw if those people can't come up with some good filter-dodging Hitler-Mii's.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

a lot of video game character diversity just seems to be different american minorities, you don't get to play as many native asian or africans or middle easterns in a modern setting at all, it all just seems to be america doing its culture war all over video games

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Caesar Saladin posted:

a lot of video game character diversity just seems to be different american minorities, you don't get to play as many native asian or africans or middle easterns in a modern setting at all, it all just seems to be america doing its culture war all over video games

probably cause americans+japan seem to make like 99% of high profile games. the other 1% are euros that have grown up on the internet playing american games.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
DICE is Swedish and they used to be good :(

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Dr. Carwash posted:

probably cause americans+japan seem to make like 99% of high profile games. the other 1% are euros that have grown up on the internet playing american games.

Plenty of European (and Canadian!) studios around, so this doesn't explain it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Zzulu posted:

DICE is Swedish and they used to be good :( not owned by EA

Same thing really

Lambert posted:

Plenty of European (and Canadian!) studios around, so this doesn't explain it.

I think you underestimate the US's influence on culture across the world

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Dr. Carwash posted:

yeah thanks that is completely obvious, but either way its a pale version of diversity of culture and experience to just add a different shade of american

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

im glad overwatch is inclusive but amazingly that kind of attention to demographics doesn't actually make that stupid poo poo fun or good. hot blizzard garbage down your basic maw

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

basic hitler posted:

im glad overwatch is inclusive but amazingly that kind of attention to demographics doesn't actually make that stupid poo poo fun or good. hot blizzard garbage down your basic maw

You should buy as many lootboxes you can afford to show you're an ally.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Americans are basically just Europeans anyway

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
With worse healthcare

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
And more school shootings.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We've actually backslid from Captain Planet where ironically each team member was from the ethnic majority of their country of origin. Nowadays it's Burger King Kids Club or you're Hitler.

Colonel Cancer posted:

No new yorker either. Ey I'm wokin here.

Twelve Batmans posted:

And where's the construction worker?!

Team Fortress 2 is ahead of the curve!

Away all Goats posted:

It really was. Though I've met more than one person who thought Ryu was white.

Most culture warriors consider Japanese to be honorary whites.

Funny thing is, Ryu is the only specifically nonwhite human in Smash Bros, in that he has a declared nationality and isn't from a fantasy land.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is, Ryu is the only specifically nonwhite human in Smash Bros, in that he has a declared nationality and isn't from a fantasy land.

I mean, are the all that many white characters that meet the rest of that criteria? It's a game about a giant, fat crocodile man, a bird man, a lady in power armor, and an electric rodent punching the crap out of each other.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, are the all that many white characters that meet the rest of that criteria? It's a game about a giant, fat crocodile man, a bird man, a lady in power armor, and an electric rodent punching the crap out of each other.

Oddly enough, I think the other humans with strongly inferrable nationalities are all Italian-American. (Mario, Luigi, Little Mac)

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ken's a Quarter-Japanese.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Do Italians count as white? Because I'll just fuckin do an Italian accent at any moment for any reason and I'd hate to briefly think it's racist before doing it anyway

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Italians count as Italians

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Races are an artificial construct anyways, so it's judgment call.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Molto bene. Grazie.

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018

Lambert posted:

Races are an artificial construct anyways, so it's judgment call.

They say you should play Parappa the Rapper

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Remember when all these woke progressives were saying Polish people have no idea what oppression is like

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TalkingBasically posted:

They say you should play Parappa the Rapper

crack crack crack the crack into the bowl

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember when all these woke progressives were saying Polish people have no idea what oppression is like

They're white though

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

2house2fly posted:

Do Italians count as white? Because I'll just fuckin do an Italian accent at any moment for any reason and I'd hate to briefly think it's racist before doing it anyway

Sicilians are every race at once. Including the Ainu.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Whorelord posted:

Sicilians are every race at once. Including the Ainu.

you're thinking of the finns

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Twelve Batmans posted:

Ken's a Quarter-Japanese.

He's a quarter Japanese? I thought he was half. This is very unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i'm really mad at polish people for not being up to date on america's cutting edge twitter race argument politics