Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Neptr posted:

Looks great! I'm getting the same thing done this Friday w/o the intake. This makes me really excited. Is this for a 09+ WRX?

It's a 2006 Outback XT 5EAT. If you have a manual, you should see even better results. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is there something weird going on with KYB right now? No matter where I look it seems really hard to find a place with WRX wagon struts and rear strut tophats in stock. There's either one or the other in stock, and I don't really want to make the same order twice.

Tried Amazon and RockAuto and TireRack so far, getting to the point where I'll make a phone call tomorrow morning and see if the local NAPA has anything written down for them.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you don't find any, I'll let you know the next time I head to Lethbridge. One of my distributors had them last I checked but they only do wholesale.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Cracked ringlands anyone?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4392502403.html

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Lol love these guys, hey its got a blown motor, ill knock $300 off book value!

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I just emailed him offering to buy his prodrives, he wants $400 + my stock legacy GT wheels in trade. I guess if you're dumb enough to pay his asking price on the car he throws them in for only $250!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That's ridiculous but what the gently caress, people would want 14kish for something like that here in OK condition

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
My 2013 STI has a stereo that sounds just awful. I have the base head unit.

My question to anybody who has replaced their stereo: Is it the head unit, the speakers, or both that make it sound so awful?

It isn't really a problem with speaker rattle, it just lacks good "tone" I guess. Everything sounds in incredibly flat. I've done the secret loudness adjustments and such, with little improvement.

I want to say that I read about a better head unit from another model Subaru (2013 forester or some such) that was a good drop in replacement. I'd like to continue to use my wheel buttons if I swap the thing out.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I thought EJ20s didn't have that problem?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

How much are we talking for a junkyard motor swap?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Thats a great ad. "I don't even go over the speed limit" *huge mod list*

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Linux Nazi posted:

My 2013 STI has a stereo that sounds just awful. I have the base head unit.

My question to anybody who has replaced their stereo: Is it the head unit, the speakers, or both that make it sound so awful?

It isn't really a problem with speaker rattle, it just lacks good "tone" I guess. Everything sounds in incredibly flat. I've done the secret loudness adjustments and such, with little improvement.

I want to say that I read about a better head unit from another model Subaru (2013 forester or some such) that was a good drop in replacement. I'd like to continue to use my wheel buttons if I swap the thing out.

You can use the steering wheel controls with just about any aftermarket headunit these days; look into steering wheel control interfaces, also drop by the car audio thread and https://www.subaruaudio.net.

The factory non-nav unit isn't anything special at all, it severely lacks the ability to dial in a decent EQ; as far as the speakers go, they have a really harsh mid to low range transition, and generally fall flat on their face. That being said, if you're willing to drop the coin, replacing both will make a world of difference in terms of bringing in a properly dialed soundstage, but everyone has different goals, budgets, etc, so these are all dependant on how deep into the rabbit hole you want to venture.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really don't have the ear for speaker stuff like some people do, but I added the little sub that goes under the drivers seat in my 2014 WRX and I don't really have any complaints.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
There's a special place in hell reserved for the guy who designed the factory stereo and climate control into the same unit in the '05-'06 Legacy/Outbacks (and probably more models). It wouldn't have been as bad if they had included an AUX in port at least. You can now separate the two with a $300 kit that makes the climate control its own unit and leaves a double DIN for an aftermarket system, but before that there were some seriously crafty hacks that had to be done to use an mp3 player without one of those worthless FM transmitters.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Beware that conversion kit is for RHD cars, so it doesn't fit right or look right. It mostly works, but there are a lot of kind of not quite rights with it.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Yeah I noticed that all the controls are swapped. I think it still works/fits fine, you just have to get used to everything being on the opposite side. I've never put one in a car though, so it may be a much bigger hassle that in appears.

si
Apr 26, 2004
There are a few other catches to it, worse than it seems. The bezel is not actually symmetrical, there's a curve that you don't really notice unless you put the wrong one in the wrong car. The RHD panel will not line up with the trim panels and you end up with a strange gap.

The emergency lights switch is also wrong, and does not fit properly with the bezel. You have to put one from an RHD car in which for some reason turns it sideways. :iiam: as to why

Then the basic thing is that the RHD ones are simply a different color, so you have to try to paint-match it yourself, and of course interior prepainted bits don't have paint codes or such to work with.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I'm considering selling my 11 Tacoma and picking up a cheaper, slightly older car in the interest of paying down some debt and getting rid of my small car payment.

I was looking for something really reliable with decent gas mileage and good interior space, and started looking toward Outback/Forester from like 07-10.

How reliable are these cars overall? I think I can get about 17k from my truck, and those cars tend to sell for less than 9k here in SC with around 100k miles. I just want something with a reasonably low cost of maintenance overall that will last well over 200k with good maintenance. I just don't know much about Subaru reliability. Googling gets me lots of restricted consumerreports articles, and I figured you guys could probably give me a good idea of what to expect or look out for.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

McSpatula posted:

You can use the steering wheel controls with just about any aftermarket headunit these days; look into steering wheel control interfaces, also drop by the car audio thread and https://www.subaruaudio.net.

The factory non-nav unit isn't anything special at all, it severely lacks the ability to dial in a decent EQ; as far as the speakers go, they have a really harsh mid to low range transition, and generally fall flat on their face. That being said, if you're willing to drop the coin, replacing both will make a world of difference in terms of bringing in a properly dialed soundstage, but everyone has different goals, budgets, etc, so these are all dependant on how deep into the rabbit hole you want to venture.

Sweet thanks. I just assumed the wheel buttons were proprietary. Knowing this makes a world of difference.

I'd like to keep the head unit under 500, a lot of what I see in terms of recommendations on NAOSIC and such are integrated NAV systems and closer to a grand. Honestly I just need Bluetooth and decent tone.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

I thought EJ20s didn't have that problem?

I think - and correct me if I'm wrong, because this is predicated entirely on engineering principles I don't understand - that detonation will eat through the ring area of the Subaru pistons before it eats through the top of the pistons.

It's likely a bad tune, or (in the case of a local STI) some massive vacuum leak made it start running crazy lean under boost.

In the vacuum leak case, though, it burned an exhaust valve which might be all this is. I imagine it's hard to tell if it's ringlands or valves without taking the engine apart.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
When it detonates its going to get hot as gently caress in the chamber, so I guess what we need to know is what are the pistons and rings made of?

E- you have hot air from the detonated mixture getting compressed, heating it more.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The 2.0s are a lot less likely to break ringlands. I would guess that wrx has a cylinder head problem like a cracked valve.

Basically it has to do with the manufacturing of the piston. The 2.5 turbo pistons use a slightly different alloy and manufacturing technique to reduce thermal expansion. I'm not a metallugical expert but I believe it is due to a higher silicon content. The downside to this is that it makes the piston harder and more brittle, so while you can have a tighter piston-wall clearance, which means less noise, less ring and skirt wear, and less blowby, sometimes this happens:

For the 2.5s, it doesn't take a whole lot of knock to crack a ringland, so it's really important to have a good tune and keep things from getting too hot.

A 2.0 wrx on the otherhand, will melt right through a piston before it cracks a ringland:

I believe that particular car had a leak of some sort. It was either a tear in the turbo inlet or a broken vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator, but either way it resulted in a very lean condition.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

So you're saying my early morning start accompanied by some nice piston slap is a reliability feature?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Yakattak posted:

So you're saying my early morning start accompanied by some nice piston slap is a reliability feature?

My EJ22 used to slap like a 12 year old watching Skinemax at startup and it's probably knocking on the door of 400,000 km if it's still going today, so I'd agree with that.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My EJ22 used to slap like a 12 year old watching Skinemax at startup and it's probably knocking on the door of 400,000 km if it's still going today, so I'd agree with that.

My god the sound of an old EJ22 is terrifying when you're trying to buy one. I passed once on an Outback because, among other things, the owner had hosed around with the mileage on the speedo. That EJ22 had seen a lot of miles. It sounded like a bag of dominos in a paint shaker but somehow still produced decent power.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4396010432.html

Talk me out of it, my Subagoons.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm not gonna lie to you: if that were here I would already own it.

Make sure the head gaskets were done when it got that new shortblock. Tell the owner you hang out with tons of Subaru people and that it will be well loved.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
New crate engine in 2007? If nothing else, I'd buy it for a parts car today.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Is there a recommended chain-store-sourceable oil filter for an 07 STi? Mine is due for a change and I unexpectedly have time to do it tomorrow.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

saint gerald posted:

Is there a recommended chain-store-sourceable oil filter for an 07 STi? Mine is due for a change and I unexpectedly have time to do it tomorrow.

NAPA Gold 7712/ProSelect 27712 have the high bypass tension that Subarus like.

If you go by the specs the WIX 57712 also has a 23psi bypass valve.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 28, 2014

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

One of us.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I picked up a tire-ending nail courtesy of the DC streets today; local tire guys can't fix it. I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s with 80% tread on the tires up front and 90% on the back. Car is a 2012 STi. Can I put the brand new tire on there, or should I have Tire Rack shave one down for me so I don't strain the diffs?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

You are allowed 2/32nds of difference in the tires.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-driving-fun/replacing-one-tire-on-an-awd-car-

Tire rack can shave a tire for you, but you have to call them with the measurement. I have had it done before and it isnt a big deal. 25 bucks or so.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

You are allowed 2/32nds of difference in the tires.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-driving-fun/replacing-one-tire-on-an-awd-car-

Tire rack can shave a tire for you, but you have to call them with the measurement. I have had it done before and it isnt a big deal. 25 bucks or so.

Thanks; looking at that page and doing some math I'm just within the limits to put a new one on there. Car was going to spend the next couple of weeks parked anyway, now I get to pump it back up before I leave the airport.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
$500 for a set of OZ Prodrives? gently caress yes.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

NAPA Gold 7712/ProSelect 27712 have the high bypass tension that Subarus like.

If you go by the specs the WIX 57712 also has a 23psi bypass valve.

Much obliged. That worked out very well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Paging MrZig: Theres a rebuilt Td04 on the vancouver nasioc classifieds under heading "liquidation" by forums user "drakar". He wants $50 for it.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

VelociBacon posted:

Paging MrZig: Theres a rebuilt Td04 on the vancouver nasioc classifieds under heading "liquidation" by forums user "drakar". He wants $50 for it.

Sent him a PM. Clarifying on if it needs a rebuild or not, thanks!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Is there anything special I need to do to bleed the brakes on my '99 Forester, or is it standard order (farthest from master cylinder, then next closest, etc)? Kinda need to know ASAP, and all the google results I've found are the most useless loving things in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Terrible Robot posted:

Is there anything special I need to do to bleed the brakes on my '99 Forester, or is it standard order (farthest from master cylinder, then next closest, etc)? Kinda need to know ASAP, and all the google results I've found are the most useless loving things in the world.

Subarus are special. Right front, left rear, left front, right rear.