Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Finished Frugal Wizard yesterday and while it's not as bad as people were making it out to be, it was definitely still missing.. something. I can't quite put my finger on it. It was for the most part fun but ultimately forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Finished Frugal Wizard yesterday and while it's not as bad as people were making it out to be, it was definitely still missing.. something. I can't quite put my finger on it. It was for the most part fun but ultimately forgettable.

I got frustrated with the amnesia thing where he's a coward, but he's a cage fighter, but he's a coward, but he's a superhuman boxing deathmatch cage fighter. Then I figured out he lifted the cowardice thing from project hail mary which he thanks in the acknowledgements, and was a better book in every way

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

mewse posted:

I got frustrated with the amnesia thing where he's a coward, but he's a cage fighter, but he's a coward, but he's a superhuman boxing deathmatch cage fighter. Then I figured out he lifted the cowardice thing from project hail mary which he thanks in the acknowledgements, and was a better book in every way

Well he also lifted the cowardice thing from Alcatraz too where in that series Alcatraz constantly refers to himself as a coward. I get the sense Sanderson wanted to try and imprint a sense of defeat and have Johnny overcome it but it didn't stick well. I do like how he called out Project Hail Mary at the end, it's such a fantastic book.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm assuming Rysn becomes an important character at some point?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mordiceius posted:

I'm assuming Rysn becomes an important character at some point?
It's fun to make assumptions!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CapnAndy posted:

It's fun to make assumptions!

The reason I say that is because she had an interlude chapter in WoK and now she has another even longer one in WoR.

I kinda stalled out a little bit when the story got put on hold for nearly two and a half hours of interludes. :negative:

Honestly, I probably launched into WoR a bit quick. I often like to take a few weeks or so in between books as a palate cleanse.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

The reason I say that is because she had an interlude chapter in WoK and now she has another even longer one in WoR.

I kinda stalled out a little bit when the story got put on hold for nearly two and a half hours of interludes. :negative:

Honestly, I probably launched into WoR a bit quick. I often like to take a few weeks or so in between books as a palate cleanse.

She's the main character of Dawnshard which is the novella between Oathbreaker and RoW

e: VVVV ok? I didn't post a single plot point

mewse fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 13, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Cool untagged spoilers

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Ehh, it's a spoiler free spoiler but it was also something yet unknown until years after WoR had come out.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

mewse posted:

e: VVVV ok? I didn't post a single plot point

Thanks for tagging it. As a first time reader I just don't want unsolicited answers to things I'm wondering about. Maybe Mordiceius wanted his assumption verified, maybe he was just posting a random thought. I don't know, but I think it's better to tag it just in case.

For content I just read (Rhythm of War Chapter 25) that Navani thinks her secret pen pal is a spren in the tower. When thinking about who it could be my first thought was Malata's spren since the two of them seem pretty antagonistic towards our main crew most of the time. But I thought about what other spren I know in the tower and I realized that Syl, not but a few chapters ago, told Kaladin she learned how to read, so now I'm trying to Pepe Silvia some reason for Syl to be warning Navani against continuing with her fabrials.

Syl has started looking at lower spren as potential "children" of her own. She's been wondering if she can raise some windspren to honorspren, maybe she's looking at flamespren in spanreed rubys the same way?

She's definitely been fairly weird about the other honorspren for a while, so not wanting to trust them makes sense given that they'd probably have her and Kaladin arrested if they could. There's a part of me that doesn't want it to be Syl since there's a war to win, but the more I try and talk myself out of it the more I believe it.

The one thing I'm really curious to see is how this changes when Kaladin finally says the Fourth Ideal, though I'm definitely looking at every plot point he has and continuously going "Oh, is this
what inspires him to say the Fourth Ideal?"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just like the meme - Kaladin, get in the Shardplate

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Words of Radiance Ch 59 - Fleet

Man, Wit is just such a cool supporting character. His voice actor in the audiobook is perfect for the role too. He's probably my favorite non-main character of any Sanderson book so far.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Words of Radiance Ch 59 - Fleet

Man, Wit is just such a cool supporting character. His voice actor in the audiobook is perfect for the role too. He's probably my favorite non-main character of any Sanderson book so far.

How familiar are you with general cosmere lore?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

How familiar are you with general cosmere lore?

I have read these books

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
For the record, I really like Wit also. I enjoy any time he pops up in the books.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I have read these books

KK general Cosmere spoilers about Wit and stuff you've read that amounts to basically easter eggs at this point, you might already know all this stuff.

In Way of Kings, Wit mentions he also goes by "Hoid". That is the same Hoid Kelsier talked to in Final Empire, the same Hoid that is mentioned to be a beggar in Elantris, also the one that 'jester' that stole the painting that got Shae in prison in Emperor's Soul and the storyteller that Lightsong calls on to hear some stories in Warbreaker. Basically Hoid/Wit is the crossover character, possibly the MAIN character of the Cosmere books and you will be seeing a lot more of him.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

socialsecurity posted:

KK general Cosmere spoilers about Wit and stuff you've read that amounts to basically easter eggs at this point, you might already know all this stuff.

In Way of Kings, Wit mentions he also goes by "Hoid". That is the same Hoid Kelsier talked to in Final Empire, the same Hoid that is mentioned to be a beggar in Elantris, also the one that 'jester' that stole the painting that got Shae in prison in Emperor's Soul and the storyteller that Lightsong calls on to hear some stories in Warbreaker. Basically Hoid/Wit is the crossover character, possibly the MAIN character of the Cosmere books and you will be seeing a lot more of him.

I can't wait for Nitrousoxide's response to this.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I can't wait for Nitrousoxide's response to this.

Seems right about what they should know at this point right, sometimes it's hard to forget when you put certain things together. Lots of that is stuff that came from Sanderson directly and not quite books.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The chapter starter for 60 and 59 is obviously about Wit

Ch 59

quote:

I’ll address this letter to my “old friend,” as I have no idea what name you’re using currently.

Ch 60

quote:

Have you given up on the gemstone, now that it is dead? And do you no longer hide behind the name of your old master? I am told that in your current incarnation you’ve taken a name that references what you presume to be one of your virtues.

And I remember other starters from a similar unattributed writer that I think were probably about Wit as well now.

From the Way of Kings

Ch 12

quote:

Old friend, I hope this missive finds you well. Though, as you are now essentially immortal, I would guess that wellness on your part is something of a given.

Ch 13

quote:

I realize that you are probably still angry. That is pleasant to know. Much as your perpetual health, I have come to rely upon your dissatisfaction with me. It is one of the cosmere’s great constants, I should think.
* Also the first reference to the "Cosmere" in any book I've read so far I think.

Ch 14

quote:

Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe. I have found a good home for it. I protect its safety like I protect my own skin, you might say.

Ch 15

quote:

You do not agree with my quest. I understand that, so much as it is possible to understand someone with whom I disagree so completely.

Ch 17

quote:

Might I be quite frank? Before, you asked why I was so concerned. It is for the following reason:

Ch 18

quote:

Ati was once a kind and generous man, and you saw what became of him. Rayse, on the other hand, was among the most loathsome, crafty, and dangerous individuals I had ever met.

Ch 19

quote:

He holds the most frightening and terrible of all of the Shards. Ponder on that for a time, you old reptile, and tell me if your insistence on nonintervention holds firm. Because I assure you, Rayse will not be similarly inhibited.

Ch 21

quote:

One need only look at the aftermath of his brief visit to Sel to see proof of what I say.

Ch 22

quote:

In case you have turned a blind eye to that disaster, know that Aona and Skai are both dead, and that which they held has been Splintered. Presumably to prevent anyone from rising up to challenge Rayse.

Ch 23

quote:

You have accused me of arrogance in my quest. You have accused me of perpetuating my grudge against Rayse and Bavadin. Both accusations are true.

Ch 24

quote:

Neither point makes the things I have written to you here untrue.

Ch 26

quote:

I am being chased. Your friends of the Seventeenth Shard, I suspect. I believe they’re still lost, following a false trail I left for them. They’ll be happier that way. I doubt they have any inkling what to do with me should they actually catch me.

Ch 27

quote:

If anything I have said makes a glimmer of sense to you, I trust that you’ll call them off. Or maybe you could astound me and ask them to do something productive for once.

Ch28

quote:

For I have never been dedicated to a more important purpose, and the very pillars of the sky will shake with the results of our war here. I ask again. Support me. Do not stand aside and let disaster consume more lives. I’ve never begged you for something before, old friend. I do so now.

---

From what I can gather across all of these, if they are indeed all from a companion of Wit, he is some sort of immortal, and has adopted some sort of policy of non-interference which his companion detests. His companion dislikes "Rayse" and "Bavadin" (who I don't remember reading about outside of these quotes so I have to wonder who they are.) Rayse is perhaps another immortal, but who is not bound by the same policy of non-interence that Wit is.

Wit is affiliated with some group called the "Seventeenth Shard". I don't think this could be one of the 10 Knights Radiant orders, but perhaps it one of the groups talked about in the prologue to "The Way of Kings" with Kalak and co?

Wit's companion was protecting some "element" perhaps the same "gemstone" that he references as now being dead in ch 60 in WoR? That might perhaps imply it was a person or being of some sort.

edit:

socialsecurity posted:

Huh. Hoid did ring a bell, but I'm especially bad at names, so I didn't really follow up on that. I didn't catch on to that at all, though obviously the begger in Elantris stood out with his epilogue scene.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 15, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nitrousoxide posted:

From what I can gather across all of these, if they are indeed all from a companion of Wit, he is some sort of immortal, and has adopted some sort of policy of non-interference which his companion detests. His companion dislikes "Rayse" and "Bavadin" (who I don't remember reading about outside of these quotes so I have to wonder who they are.) Rayse is perhaps another immortal, but who is not bound by the same policy of non-interence that Wit is.

Here is your one clue, you can choose to mouseover this or not as you see fit: someone called Ati was mentioned in the same breath as Rayse. You know who Ati is.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just finished The Sunlit Man, it was good. One thing that skeeved me out though was the scadrian scientists, what a bunch of loving mengeles. Psychopathically callous and indifferent to people dying, even smirking about it, witholding important knowledge that could save so many lives. 100% bad guy material the lot of them. Is all of Scadrial like this now or do they just send their worst?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just finished The Sunlit Man, it was good. One thing that skeeved me out though was the scadrian scientists, what a bunch of loving mengeles. Psychopathically callous and indifferent to people dying, even smirking about it, witholding important knowledge that could save so many lives. 100% bad guy material the lot of them. Is all of Scadrial like this now or do they just send their worst?

Scadrial is definitely supposed to be the British Empire of the space era.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Words of Radiance Ch 76

I honestly did not expect Amaram to get unmasked by Dalinar. I thought he would get to the end of his plot for whatever it is at the center of the plains and reveal himself there and Dalinar to be blindsided. I have to imagine this has done a ton to redeem Dalinar in Kaladin's eyes. Now, if he can stop the attempt on the king's life without breaking his obligation there and further damage whatever bond is left with Syl as an honor spren...

The burgoning love triangle between Kaladin, Shallan, and Adolin after Kaladin and Shallan's trip through the chasm will bring nothing but trouble for Kaladin I'm sure.

Syl is 100% not permanently dead. Pattern even set up a possibility of reviving a spren as long as their knight still lives in his chat with Shallan.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

socialsecurity posted:

Scadrial is definitely supposed to be the British Empire of the space era.

Why do these assholes have to go around sowing discord all over the Cosmere...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's just like star trek all the rear end in a top hat scientists in the federationend up in weird outposts

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

The burgoning love triangle between Kaladin, Shallan, and Adolin after Kaladin and Shallan's trip through the chasm will bring nothing but trouble for Kaladin I'm sure.

Kaladin is married to depression

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

mewse posted:

Kaladin is married to depression

Ha, fantastic, I had the same thought as the other person and when it pretty much turns into this I LOVED it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Words of Radiance 77

I really think Jasnah is probably still alive. Sanderson is not afraid to kill off major characters. See Vin’s fathers (both adoptive and biological) as well as Lightsong. But Jasnah’s “death” gives him way too much flexibility to pull a dramatic reveal of her returning at a narratively convenient moment since Shallan only saw them stabbing someone near her room and didn’t get a clear view of her dying.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
WELL, got quite a package today.

I'm a bit disappointed with the paint quality on the 3.5" figures. They look like cheap amiibos as opposed to the original promo shots but whatever. Can't wait to gently caress up trying to paint every one of these.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Finished Words of Radiance

gently caress Sadeas. Guy got what he deserved.

Jasnah lives as I expected. Her popping out of an Elsecall(?) as Wit called it months out of date of the events of 2/3 of the book and being crestfallen that her life's work had passed her by was a little funny.

Didn't at all expect Renarin to be a Surgebinder. That came completely out of left field. I expect it was him who was scratching that countdown then and not his father? Also didn't expect the Stormfather to agree to be tied to Dalinar and turn him into a Surgebinder as well.

I think the Ghostbloods are a decent villainous group (narratively). They honestly think they are doing good for the world as they bring closer to catastrophe, and I can at least see their reasoning given the rules laid out in the world so far.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

You are flying through these books, what's your reading plan going forward?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

pik_d posted:

You are flying through these books, what's your reading plan going forward?

I plan to work through the rest of the Stormlight series, so Edgedancer next (as I understand it, it is book "2.5" in the series). Unless there's a reason at this point for me to take an interlude on something else?

After Stormlight is done I might go and finish up the Mistborn series with era 2 stuff, or maybe do White Sands..

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Nitrousoxide posted:

I plan to work through the rest of the Stormlight series, so Edgedancer next (as I understand it, it is book "2.5" in the series). Unless there's a reason at this point for me to take an interlude on something else?

After Stormlight is done I might go and finish up the Mistborn series with era 2 stuff, or maybe do White Sands..

I've been having fun bouncing back and forth between the series based on release date, but I think you'll be fine sticking with Stormlight. Of course I haven't finished Rhythm of War so I could be very wrong.

Though, while you're doing a "novella" you might want to toss Shadows for SIlence in the Forest of Hell and Sixth of the Dusk in there too. They're both very short and there were a few sneaky things from them that I think I've seen in Stormlight. White Sand is in that category too actually.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

pik_d posted:

HoA is a great book, but what exactly has been your reading order?

I’ve read Final Empire, then I read way of kings, then Well of Ascension. Planned on jumping into Words of Radiance but ended up caving and buying Hero of Ages first. So I guess stormlight archive waits another week. Read half the book in the last two days and have more questions than answers atm

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

virinvictus posted:

I’ve read Final Empire, then I read way of kings, then Well of Ascension. Planned on jumping into Words of Radiance but ended up caving and buying Hero of Ages first. So I guess stormlight archive waits another week. Read half the book in the last two days and have more questions than answers atm

You should ask those questions!! We will do our best to not answer them!

If your next SA book is Words of Radiance you should read Warbreaker first.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

pik_d posted:

You should ask those questions!! We will do our best to not answer them!

If your next SA book is Words of Radiance you should read Warbreaker first.

At the stage I’m at, im convinced the lord ruler wasn’t a bad guy. That ruin somehow manipulated him along the way, if marsh has any sign that ruin is controlling the koloss and (presumably) the inquisitors through the spikes inserted into their bodies. But then what about the kandra? Are they tainted by ruin? Is preservation the mistwraith that vin thought was evil in the well of ascension? When did marsh get too twisted? Does it get explained? Is Keslier appearing to Spook Ruin manipulating? The sword he was stabbed with- similar to a spike?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

virinvictus posted:

At the stage I’m at, im convinced the lord ruler wasn’t a bad guy. That ruin somehow manipulated him along the way, if marsh has any sign that ruin is controlling the koloss and (presumably) the inquisitors through the spikes inserted into their bodies. But then what about the kandra? Are they tainted by ruin? Is preservation the mistwraith that vin thought was evil in the well of ascension? When did marsh get too twisted? Does it get explained? Is Keslier appearing to Spook Ruin manipulating? The sword he was stabbed with- similar to a spike?

drat, these are all really good questions that I won't answer. Good, fun, insights.

This is NOT an answer to something, but I will say that I understand what you mean by not being convinced that the Lord Ruler wasn't a bad guy, but I will point out that he does kill a fuckload of people so honestly while I get that your theory is that he's not aligned with Ruin, he's still a fucker in either case.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

virinvictus posted:

You know enough that I can answer one of those things: The Lord Ruler was a complicated guy. He did really awful poo poo -- killing the original Hero of Ages, a literal millenia of tyranny, slavery, and mass murder -- but his goals were "keep Ruin contained" and "hang onto power long enough to get to the Well again and unfuck everything I hosed up the first time". Those are good goals. He went about them very badly.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

pik_d posted:

I've been having fun bouncing back and forth between the series based on release date, but I think you'll be fine sticking with Stormlight. Of course I haven't finished Rhythm of War so I could be very wrong.

Though, while you're doing a "novella" you might want to toss Shadows for SIlence in the Forest of Hell and Sixth of the Dusk in there too. They're both very short and there were a few sneaky things from them that I think I've seen in Stormlight. White Sand is in that category too actually.

When is one supposed to read Tress of the Emerald Sea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Nitrousoxide posted:

When is one supposed to read Tress of the Emerald Sea?

I'd read it after reading both Mistborn eras, Warbreaker and all of Stormlight, personally. Or, you can read it after era 2. There isn't really a right or wrong answer.