Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rhymenoserous posted:

Pfft. I've never gotten any useful information from a teleconference. Throw that poo poo on mute and play angry birds, ask them to send you the documentation or for a 1 on 1 afterwards. As the number of people on a call go up the amount of time spent hearing answers to the dumbest loving questions in the world increases exponentially. At 90 callers it's basically a stupid apocalypse.

I can't even imagine trying to get useful-for-my-immediate-job information from even a 30+ caller conference. Those tend to be "The CEO is telling us sales numbers" types of calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

So the AC unit we just put in at a client's server room is broken; but in a good way. It constantly blasts at full power now and the remote to control the temperature does exactly gently caress all. So the room is basically a fridge. Excellent for the gear. Total poo poo for the tech (me) that has to sit in here today.

We're talking 10C (50F) kinda cold. Might be a little cooler. Don't have an accurate temperature sensor in here at the moment (old one was literally smashed).

At my old gig in Alaska our AC system died so we cracked the window to cool it down. Never saw a low temperature warning before that. When the servers got to 45 F they started sending out warnings.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Sounds legit.

I've had to do that once during the winter, but there was some pretty impressive building failures going on at that particular time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have a little EDI problem. We have been getting megamart orders via EDI for a couple years. Works fine. Superstore wants to send use EDI orders, so we set that all up and it's been working for like 2-3 weeks. We ended up getting an order for Superstore with 1 item on it and it also had 10 items from megamart (should have been 10 megamart orders and 1 superstore order).

Vendor 1:

On 09/28/2015 @ 08:49 another re-translate was run, via execute, and this appears to have been a reprocess of same 18 PO’s received in during the previous translation. These are the files that I exported this morning and they updated fine in your system, without any adjustments from me.
This being said, I can’t find any sign of issues on this side. The only possible thing that could be done would be to redesign the ftp job so that it saves a copy of the full file that is being exported. If anything is going wrong on this side, it would have to have been when the megamart and superstore PO’s were combined into one file to be sent over. This process is something that occurs every time you received data from both trading partners in the same receive. I’ve looked back historically and it appears that this happens on a regular basis and hasn’t caused an issue before.

The other point of failure would have been when we attempted to write the file to the dsdata directory. We attempt to append to the existing file, so if there was an existing file in place or the file was in use, this might have caused some issues.

I guess, go ahead and review this and then let me know if you require us to do anything further on this side.

Waiting to hear back from vendor 2 but it's one of the two's fault. One is our EDI VAN and the other is our internal crap computer system. I want to blame vendor 2 but I haven't worked enough with vendor 1 to know if they are full of poo poo or not. What do you do when neither one says they were the cause?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Bob Morales posted:

What do you do when neither one says they were the cause?

This has always been the case for me; I have terrible vendor support experiences. You grit your teeth, figure it out on your own so you can straight argue with evidence that one of them is clearly being useless and lazy, then come post about here it because venting about it helps you be just that much more sane after the process.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

Maybe if places offered actual sick leave these days people would do so. If a place just has a single "Paid Time Off" bucket that is both your vacation and sick leave there is every expectation that people will drag themselves in if at all physically possible unless a place offers the ability to work from home when sick.

Then again, a CFO probably has plenty of sick leave and has no excuse other than buying into the US corporate view that you belong to the company and all your time should be theirs etc.

Hell, people should realize that we now live in THE FUTURE and telecommuting is a thing. If you're not feeling well, but still feel like working, do it from home Typhoid Mary. There's literally nothing I do at work that I can't do from home. The main reason I actually go to my office is because socializing and some meetings (not most, but some) are still things that are better to do in person.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just got off the phone with a morbidly obese frequent caller. There's nothing I like more than the incessant wheeze coming through the phone while I'm trying to deal with problems.

Much like snoring, wheezing like that trips a switch inside me and I just can't stand it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
We're very short on space. A new accounting VP is starting in two days and there's one empty office available in the accounting area. Seems simple. right? Instead the sicky CFO has requested we move one person from their office to the empty office, one cubicle person to the first person's office, another cubicle dweller to the first cubicle dweller's spot and the new person in the last vacated cubicle.

I suggested putting the VP in the empty office, or at worst putting that one temp clerk in the empty office and the VP in her vacated cubicle. Moving four people to make room for one is idiocy and only appropriate for moey to handle.

EDIT: The office manager just replied that he'd be happy to do all four moves as requested so... :thumbsup:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Dick Trauma posted:

gently caress people who come to work sick.

CFO is trying to open a PDF that has a portfolio and the piece of poo poo requires Flash to work properly. I sit at his PC to work on it and he's sniffling and coughing like a motherfucker and I just want to yell "GO HOME YOU IDIOT."

There's been so much coughing and open air sneezing lately, I'm tempted just to walk around the office with my neck buff over my face to drive the point home.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Super Slash posted:

There's been so much coughing and open air sneezing lately, I'm tempted just to walk around the office with my neck buff over my face to drive the point home.

I really wouldn't mind if we adopted the Japanese thing of wearing masks when we're sick. I was at a school last week and a kid drat near threw up on his keyboard, and then kept typing away.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thing pissing me off today: people who don't listen to the warnings we provide.

Yo, dude, when we throw up a big window that explicitly tells you not to back up your Microsoft SQL Server database with multiple sources, complete with description of why (it's either bad or terrible) with a KB article link for more information...maybe you should listen. We're not saying that for our sake, we're saying it for yours, so you don't go to restore your differential backups and find out they're completely hosed.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Pfft. I've never gotten any useful information from a teleconference. Throw that poo poo on mute and play angry birds, ask them to send you the documentation or for a 1 on 1 afterwards. As the number of people on a call go up the amount of time spent hearing answers to the dumbest loving questions in the world increases exponentially. At 90 callers it's basically a stupid apocalypse.

While I agree with you, there is the exception when the CEO puts down his bottle and uses a microphone without his usual babysitters to prevent his gaffes.

You get a real insight to his mind. And a sense of fear.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Building management pisses me off, there's a couple of motorcycle parking spaces in the car park, they're big enough to fit two bikes so there's been this unspoken thing where we all make sure to leave room for another bike.

I got in this morning and there's a sign from building management saying that anyone caught doing so will have their access to the garage revoked. wtf...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

So the AC unit we just put in at a client's server room is broken; but in a good way. It constantly blasts at full power now and the remote to control the temperature does exactly gently caress all. So the room is basically a fridge. Excellent for the gear. Total poo poo for the tech (me) that has to sit in here today.

We're talking 10C (50F) kinda cold. Might be a little cooler. Don't have an accurate temperature sensor in here at the moment (old one was literally smashed).
This is not actually good for the gear, and especially not for the AC unit. If the AC is powerful enough you'll probably find it full of ice soon. Happened to me when one of our chillers got stuck on because it fried a relay.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

theperminator posted:

Building management pisses me off, there's a couple of motorcycle parking spaces in the car park, they're big enough to fit two bikes so there's been this unspoken thing where we all make sure to leave room for another bike.

I got in this morning and there's a sign from building management saying that anyone caught doing so will have their access to the garage revoked. wtf...

Maybe there's an actual reasoning, like insurance compliance or something.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Lord Dudeguy posted:

gently caress DFS.

Now all the goddamn nodes are doing it :argh:

I'm reading blogs and threads and one guy said "DFS is unreliable for large amounts of files. Use robocopy."

I'm starting to believe him when I would otherwise have thought ":aaaaa: A Microsoft enterprise-level service can't be that bad... could it?"

... then I look at all the Office 365 outage posts... and the Microsoft responses.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Are you using 2008R2 level DFS? They made some kind of improvements. It's still scary as hell.

I have DFS in a few places and I'm extremely wary of it. Users' home drives and distributed installation points mainly.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Swink posted:

Are you using 2008R2 level DFS? They made some kind of improvements. It's still scary as hell.

I have DFS in a few places and I'm extremely wary of it. Users' home drives and distributed installation points mainly.

2012 R2. Shares, Home Drives, Document Repository, Installers, it's all there on different volumes.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Yeesh. Good luck!

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Swink posted:

Yeesh. Good luck!

Gonna need it. I'm getting off-hours calls now that the rebuild process, in conjunction with the deduplication job(s), is now causing people to lose access to their shares.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Email from manager:

Dear shitheads, from now we will be tracking what you do. Normally this is my job, but gently caress you. So from now on fill out this spreadsheet with that you are doing, what ticket #, if you are doing whatever, and also, gently caress you. If you are assisting another department or user, make sure that is logged, and make sure they log it as well. If you have questions, keep them to yourselves. If you have comments, also keep them to yourselves. In fact, shut up.

-Manager

PS: gently caress you, Please consider the environment when printing this email.

This doesn't bode well for our group, as our day to day things have steadily decreased and we are running out of useful things to do when we aren't on projects. Once projects startup, we generally stay pretty active, but until then, welp. Studying for certs is difficult since the boss seems to think if we have time to study, then we have time for work. Which seems a drat stupid idea, but he also is a workaholic and puts countless hours in at home.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Well, atleast you can see the iceberg before you hit it

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Software engineers, specifically those who are super duper into Scrum.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

psydude posted:

Software engineers, specifically those who are super duper into Scrum.

Scrum can be a really handy thing as long as you don't completely drink the kool aid and are willing to change stuff to better suit your environment.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Seconding the usefulness of scrum as a "here's some poo poo I did yesterday, because we mostly work on independent stuff, and this way we don't step on each other's toes (or we find out we're blocked on the same problem, or whatever)".

It is not a "we can't be hosed with kanban/ticketing, so we're tracking your activities and making sure you're not loving off this way" measure.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

Scrum can be a really handy thing as long as you don't completely drink the kool aid and are willing to change stuff to better suit your environment.

Yes. The methodology even specifically points out that you need to make Scrum suit your environment, not the other way around.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

psydude posted:

Yes. The methodology even specifically points out that you need to make Scrum suit your environment, not the other way around.

This is presuming that the leadership implementing it isn't cargo culting the whole thing because they spent $40k on a "Scrum conference" and took only the cliffnotes version home.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've gotten use out of User Stories at my last job.

We were planning on dramatically upgrading our printer infrastructure, one of the features that the salesman wanted us to buy would let you print from a workstation and then retrieve your document at any printer in the enterprise.

The managers were sold on it.

I asked, can we come up with a single user story where this would be useful. For example, if we were a hospital it might be "A doctor needs to print a checklist for a surgery, but doesn't know what part of the hospital it will be in yet. He queues the job and then later, the doctor or a nurse prints the checklist at a nearby printer."

No one could come up with anything for our office environment. Not even a farfetched scenario.

We didn't buy the feature.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This is for a semester-long group project for a graduate class, so pedantry about minor stuff is what's annoying me. I get the usefulness of Scrum in software engineering and DevOps, although coming from the IT consulting side of things it has limited utility.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Some other thread had a story where their 15 minute daily standup when for three hours, and staff were fainting after standing for so long.

Probably complete bullshit, but nevertheless I found it loving hilarious.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Swink posted:

Some other thread had a story where their 15 minute daily standup when for three hours, and staff were fainting after standing for so long.

Probably complete bullshit, but nevertheless I found it loving hilarious.

Our "stand-ups" usually approach 30 minutes because 1) Nobody can keep their poo poo to "I worked on A & B, got A done, working on B, C today, blocked on C," because 2) Management attends and insists on details and making plans and decisions during the stand-up, and literally WILL NOT STOP TALKING when the guy who should actually be running the meeting tries to move poo poo along.

Also, most weeks every single developer we have is working on their own feature, so there is literally no point to having a stand-up (the original point being to make sure all the devs on a team are on the same page each day).

On the plus side, we've moved such meetings to two per week instead of daily. Two "manager wants a status report" meetings per week isn't bad compared to some places.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

evol262 posted:

Seconding the usefulness of scrum as a "here's some poo poo I did yesterday, because we mostly work on independent stuff, and this way we don't step on each other's toes (or we find out we're blocked on the same problem, or whatever)".

It is not a "we can't be hosed with kanban/ticketing, so we're tracking your activities and making sure you're not loving off this way" measure.

We do 0 development in my department, its all "Well, you can say your are busy, but are you really?" by upper management. We have a ticketing system, its terrible but we use it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Speaking of poo poo that pisses me off...third party software that people who make 6+ figures purchase after a really good sales pitch without consulting anyone else and they turn out to be poo poo. Had this at my first job(worked in the parts department of a place that fixed semi trucks), went from an AS400 green screen terminal system to a monstrosity developed by software engineers who had no concept of UI design that was a serious pain in the rear end to get anything done on.

My current position I just started this month is on the team that is supporting/extending/developing on top of a crappy insurance software that people with very fancy titles decided to buy because it looked fancy and it did what the company wanted to do(update from their old system that was a frakenstein of software that didn't really work well together), but after they got it it was discovered that the software is slow as poo poo, a lot of stuff is way harder than it should be, and did I mention it is slow as poo poo? Seriously, everyone in the company hates it. For the past year IT has been working on trying to get it to work the best they can, with the help of a half dozen developers from the company who made the software onsite for training and fixing poo poo, with the team I am now on gradually taking over that job, although we don't have access to their code to fix crap actually in their code base(and such problems appear on a daily basis), all we can do is fix data errors, configure stuff in their configuration console which is so painful it makes me want to pull my hair out, and build code on top of their undocumented code base(there is no API at all as far as I can tell). I've spent most of my first month just fixing data errors and doing some basic configuration stuff, and this past week I did my first work in the C# code, which was to try and refine a web service that took 5 minutes to process and return the response for a certain account, and looking at what the web service does it shouldn't take more than like 30 seconds no matter how much data is in a given account, but their lovely code takes forever. I was able to hack out something that reduced the web service call from 5 minutes to 1 minute, but I'm still not thrilled at it because there is no way it should loving take that long! My new boss is apparently extremely impressed at what I accomplished with it, but I really wish I had time, and more access to how the stuff works in their code, to refine it more.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
So I took a night shift position in an unnamed college medical enterprise.

I love how I support an entire network of software that I have zero documentation on and have zero access to emulate. Said software has a team that works 7-5 M-F.

Oh and to top it off, it only work in IE7 and MAYBE it will work with Safari. Maybe, if you're lucky.

Also, gently caress printers.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Pissing me off today: boss man from corporate HQ replying to a sorta snippy email where I asked what his qualification to make technical decisions was with "because I'm the boss". When did I send that email? Three months ago...

Other boss (I have too many bosses) also sent me an email telling me not to reply. Noticed that after I replied. Fortunately it was a benign "Thanks for clarifying".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've gotten use out of User Stories at my last job.

We were planning on dramatically upgrading our printer infrastructure, one of the features that the salesman wanted us to buy would let you print from a workstation and then retrieve your document at any printer in the enterprise.

The managers were sold on it.

I asked, can we come up with a single user story where this would be useful. For example, if we were a hospital it might be "A doctor needs to print a checklist for a surgery, but doesn't know what part of the hospital it will be in yet. He queues the job and then later, the doctor or a nurse prints the checklist at a nearby printer."

No one could come up with anything for our office environment. Not even a farfetched scenario.

We didn't buy the feature.
They sold it wrong, and you'll be sorry for not buying it.

Pull print is amazing mainly because it's a golden bullet against every "I'm printing secrets so I need my own printer" argument.

It also drastically cuts down on wasted printing because they're not printed unless people go pick them up. Before we changed to pull printing we threw away approximately half a ream worth of forgotten printouts every day.

Plus it has a few smaller benefits like a single print queue for all machines so you can automatically map it for all users, and if a printer breaks you can just tell people to go to another printer until it's fixed.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

They sold it wrong, and you'll be sorry for not buying it.

We use Follow-you printing and it's loving gold. Not only did we cut down the amount of printers substantially, we also saved 15 tons of paper the first year we had it and get to feel all green and giddy about it, and we can finally track the print-abusers and even have the system generate monthly reports and have them mailed automatically to the respective department heads. Lastly we can finally tell the politicians to print anything they want for their meetings, they don't get a home printer any more since they can just pick up the prints on their way to meetings.

TCO for follow-you printing is actually negative. :v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

Our "stand-ups" usually approach 30 minutes because 1) Nobody can keep their poo poo to "I worked on A & B, got A done, working on B, C today, blocked on C," because 2) Management attends and insists on details and making plans and decisions during the stand-up, and literally WILL NOT STOP TALKING when the guy who should actually be running the meeting tries to move poo poo along.

Also, most weeks every single developer we have is working on their own feature, so there is literally no point to having a stand-up (the original point being to make sure all the devs on a team are on the same page each day).

On the plus side, we've moved such meetings to two per week instead of daily. Two "manager wants a status report" meetings per week isn't bad compared to some places.

Reminds me of our all hands shift changover meetings. Everyone liked my 1st to 2nd shift ones because I ran the meetings and most of them consisted of "Everything that can be done has been, and it still sucks to work here, adjourned."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I hate a long shift change or stand up because it's loving disrespectful. You can paint it however else you like, but when you get down to it, it shows that you have no respect for my time and as must follow, no respect for me.

I used to have to endure this all the time in the military. We work let's say 7 to 7, and night shift strolls in at 6:59 and wants to goof off through shift change and run errands. Anything but let us go. Okay, do that. Guess how shift change is going to go when I relieve you in 12 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Pissing me off: I'm working on a large project with my company for a major bank, I'm the dedicated System Administrator/Engineer. It's a development project, but I'm assigned to the team to make sure all the infrastructure stuff is working. No problem. However, in the planning phases we requested 9 servers (it's a large platform with many levels and environments) with at least 8CPUs and 128GB of RAM and then 1TB storage for each server.

No problem. It's all good.

Six months later, I get an email saying here's the servers for you:

host1
host2
host3

Uh...that's a good start, where are the other six?

No they decided our application didn't need 9 servers, so they gave us three. Oh, the guy that decided that changed the request and then quit, so we didn't get informed. We should of said something earlier. But we didn't know until they were delivered. Well it's too late now. Ok, maybe we can make this work.

Log into them. 32GB of RAM, 900GB of storage. Uh...nope. They tell me I need to just go ahead, and then wait until it enters production and they have performance issues so we can prove that it's underpowered. I can't even simulate usage with the tools we have to do just that. I have to wait until it's LIVE and then prove it's not working.

Lead time to order more memory? 4 weeks. More storage? 8 weeks. More servers? 3 months.

So there's absolutely no chance at all this will go well. And when the UAT users open up a ton of tickets saying the system is slow, I'm forced to take a day to pull logs and logs of data, but since it's only testing, and actually production usage, they won't do anything.

Argh.

Also, it was supposed to go into production early septermber. I scheduled two weeks of vacation in october, a month after the proposed go live day. Now, though, they pushed it back to a week after I get back. Fantastic.