Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
my rat man fell out of a tree so now im learning how to climb so i can bitch at these elves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

verbal enema posted:

my rat man fell out of a tree so now im learning how to climb so i can bitch at these elves

Is this too long for a thread title

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Dwarf Fortress 2017: Learning to how to climb so I can bitch at these elves

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
Is it posible to give him money to fix a known issue? Or alter a value in the balance table, when it's obviousy off by an order of magnitude?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You can put it in the bug report and if it is something simple like that he'll probably fix it faster. You can also mention it on the DF forum and the DFHack people will probably be able to throw a fix in to their next build.

Should just toss some money his way regardless.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmIDMGC41VM

Toady One posted:

First, a Zach update: he's going in for followup surgery tomorrow. The initial procedure went pretty deep so there needs to be some reconstruction and moving about of bits, but we're hopeful he's cancer-free at this point.

I'm underway on additional worldgen villain mechanics, continuing into schemes to acquire artifacts (and then keep, sell or pass them along) and then on to shenanigans involving positions beyond embezzlement, up to and including coups. Then we'll need to cover at least assassinations and hideouts, perhaps more if we feel like there's time, but that'll be enough to make dwarf mode interesting when we get there. I'll have another villain story when I finish this set.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oh no zach :(

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I am screaming.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

drat I picked a good page to start reading this thread again

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

What is this from? It kinda feels like it deserves to be displayed on a wall somewhere in a tasteful frame.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

quote:

01/16/2019 Toady One Zach's final surgery went great! Hopefully life here will be calm for a time.

I ran a medium world out 100 years, and it's getting a little hard to decide which stories to write up, which is a good sign. I was just looking at the ruler of one of the goblin sites, Nguslu, notable for being a war buddy of the demon lord (to the extent demon lords respect the buddy notion), who hammered out a villainous life (like many goblins) for 68 years before being assassinated by a dwarven mercenary Dodok Ochrevises. Dodok was hired by Erush Castlegild, a snatched dwarf that became a goblin-style bandit and was sick of Nguslu's stymieing authority over the fortress of Evilchant. Dodok failed to get the drop on Nguslu, and they were evenly matched, but after two failed assassination attempts, Nguslu's luck finally ran out.

But perhaps we should talk about the king of the dwarves, Aslot Sinentered, a goblin, ruling for the last 55 years. Back in the year 24, 21 years before his reign began, Aslot was a bandit, like Erush or any of dozens of others. Styled 'overlord', but ruling nothing. He operated near the dwarven capital of Targetroad, and his first attempt at villainy was to try to extort money from the broker Nish. He failed. The manager Adil? Failed. The bookkeeper Dakost? Nope. The chief medical dwarf, Erith? No again. (I'm chuckling to myself reading the events, as I know that Aslot becomes king, but this is new to me and not looking promising so far.)

Over the next ten years, Aslot only managed to subordinate Reg Figuresavior, the tavern keeper of the Chestnut of Spices, and Reg went on to do absolutely nothing of value for him. Finally, in 39, six years before his ascension, Aslot managed to get the outpost liaison Alath Whippedlances; Aslot was a world-class flatterer by this time and was bound to be successful (since there's not enough cost for repeated failure, yet, in terms of punishment.) Aslot set the liaison to work immediately, using the new access to attempt to turn the until-then unapproachable General Mafol. Mafol was incorruptible. Alath's ex-wife, the diplomat Dumat, however, was another story, and Alath managed to pull her into Aslot's web.

It was at this point that Aslot first thought about seizing the throne, but it seemed hopeless. A few insiders had less than a fifth of the pull necessary to orchestrate something that grand. So what happened? (I don't know yet, he he, reading...) Using Dumat's access, Aslot turned one of the many landholders in the year 43; Baroness Besmar enjoyed the cloak-and-dagger games so much she took the name "Sikel the Foggy." The coup soon followed, but it only worked because in the year 45, Besmar went from being "one of the many landholders" to being "one of the two landholders." A war with the elves had begun. General Mafol was killed by an elven grizzly bear in 45 leading the defence of the fortress Shipskunk. The dwarves won the battle, but several barons were killed. That year, the power equation having swung just barely in Aslot's favor, he pounced, using Besmar, Alath and Dumat to seize power from the Queen Ducim Windfang. The deposed queen was imprisoned in Targetroad, though the gracious King Aslot later gave her a minor barony where she lived out her days until a quiet death in 82. Besmar became a countess, then a duchess. She married Alath, but they divorced after thirty years. He remained outpost liaison under Aslot until his death in 84. Dumat remains the diplomat, where she regular competes in battle axe throwing competition with Duchess Besmar.

Over those forty years, King Aslot fiddled with his network and attempted to control his subordinates with varying success. Several coups were idly plotted against him, but nobody managed to turn more than one of his now numerous landholders. The one major villainous event Aslot pulled off during his kingship was in the year 86, when the king hatched an assassination plot on a different Alath, Alath Glovedbrass, his own guard captain, after tavern keeper Reg failed to loop him in on some low-grade scheming (the rulers don't yet have other tools in their box, like simply firing the guard captain, he he.) Aslot used new asset Id Steelarmors to send a message to famed assassin Nushrat Exitrulers to set up the job. Nushrat performed the job flawlessly, her fifth kill earning her the name "Nushrat Exitrulers the Sacrificial Gaze."

It wasn't always that easy. Nushrat was a human criminal born in the town of Focusesteem, where she learned to skulk about well enough doing petty crimes, though her most notable achievement by then was being boxed in the face by a cyclops and losing some teeth. Nushrat's first real job was in the year 55, when a bandit hired her to kill a baronness who refused to take a bribe to ignore his operation. Unsurprisingly, she failed, but somehow survived, and continued learning. In 61, she was approached by Jal Mirrotboots, the master of beasts of the Curious Realm, who wanted her to kill the Realm's justiciar. (Nushrat never knew that Jal had been sent by Dang Strokedhorrors, the only other goblin in history that managed to overthrow a civilization, becoming law-giver of the Curious Realm 24 years later after turning both the chancellor and the previous law-giver's advisor.) This time, Nushrat was successful. Next, the harrowing job of killing a goblin lord for a goblin bandit in a dark fortress, but Nushrat was getting good and pulled it off. She did her fourth job for a necromancer's apprentice. The master necromancer had it out for the Justice who had rebuffed the apprentice's attempt to bribe him. In 80, it was the captain of the guard of a dwarf fortress, marked for death by his own mayor for refusing to ignore the embezzlement of the chief medical dwarf (of which the mayor was taking a cut.) The mayor was a goofus styling himself "Azmol the Lone", but Nushrat never met him, just his messenger, a local mercenary who the mayor later appointed the broker.

In 81, five years before the job for Aslot, Nushrat put her stealth to use on a side job for the bandit Snang Beardplague. The Contemptible Straps was a famous copper short sword, made in a strange mood by dwarven weaponsmith Onul Playedcrafted sixty years before. Onul offered it to the Queen (not Queen Ducim, we are with other dwarves not far away.) It was only a few years before the greedy and villainous hammerer got his mind to working and had the corrupt bookkeeper steal it for him (when we add hideouts, he'll hide it somewhere sensible instead of carrying it around, he he.) When the hammerer died in 81, and the Contemptible Straps was found and restored to the fortress, our bandit Snang, who had been pining after the sword for years, wasted no time and hired Nushrat to swipe it for him. She did this easily. Snang still carries it.

Nushrat carried out three more assassinations after her work for Aslot in 86. Then she stole three more artifacts. And assassinated two more people. And lives happily at age 97, never married, with her seven remaining children, waiting to take a job to come to your fort and take your things or deal with your pesky sheriff. Or somebody like her.

Interestingly, none of the major historical events described were precipitated by large villainous networks, just the networks that were well-placed or lucky. Osnun Enddungeons and Atera Ivoryowl were both running ten people and I have no idea what they were up to. Ah, Atera was a druid! But I should stop now.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html#2019-01-16

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It's gonna be good folks

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

counterfeitsaint posted:

What is this from? It kinda feels like it deserves to be displayed on a wall somewhere in a tasteful frame.

I'm sure I saved it from this thread. Just one of those things that goes around.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

If it weren't for the very Dwarf Fortress naming this wouldn't look out of place in Crusader Kings.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nushrat Exitrulers the Sacrificial Gaze is a pretty great name for an assassin.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

okay, but do these things happen in fortress mode

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Jazerus posted:

If they do it'll just be all your nobles either being recruited to leave the site, or being conscripted into conspiracies to rob and murder each other. So, less nobles either way, which means it might not be a bad thing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jazerus posted:

Fortress mode is accidental to what he wants to do. Imagine what he can do next. :iit:

Twenty years down the line, mind you, but one day it'll be good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jazerus posted:

Toady in the Jan 1 Bay 12 Report posted:

We're going to continue on with villains into 2019, finishing their world generation schemes, then carrying that framework forward into play, which involves more movement but uses the same data structures. Then we'll zoom into the closest perspective, ironing out details of implementation with adventure mode scheming and investigation. This gets us ready for the trickiest part, which is getting it to all work in the tumult of the fort, which will be a target and also an actor in the world.
So, it's planned for further down the line.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
How is DF these days? I want to do epic dwarf things but I'm spoiled by Rimworld and its philosophy of being a game that is playable and fun. Is that thing where dwarves seeing death causes then to inevitably go mad still in?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

super fart shooter posted:

drat I picked a good page to start reading this thread again

Thread never fails to deliver. Just stumbled across the Gemclod LP recently and it's so good. :allears:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Average Bear posted:

How is DF these days? I want to do epic dwarf things but I'm spoiled by Rimworld and its philosophy of being a game that is playable and fun. Is that thing where dwarves seeing death causes then to inevitably go mad still in?

It hasn't changed much at all since you left it

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Average Bear posted:

Dwarves inevitably go mad?

Yes, always.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

:frogc00l: (Toady One) I've mainly been 'consolidating gains' this week (that is, finding horrible bugs and wondering how anything worked in the first place.) After cleaning up after myself, I started in on bandit forts as a preliminary to villain hideouts. The bandits were also horribly bugged, but now the largest groups can make forts out in the wilderness somewhat near to the civilizations they are associated with. Along with the new monasteries and the return of castles and the old tombs and necromancer towers, it's starting to look more interesting away from the cities, and we aren't quite done with new site placement yet. More next week.

Re: bold

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
So my latest fortress is at peace with a nearby goblin civilization and just became a county based purely on the massive number of goblin pits depending on our economy?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've been eyeballing this game for years now, but never tried it. I'm thinking of getting that starter pack and diving in. Is that 3d/isometric viewer still working for the latest versions of this game? That looks sweet. Also, are the game windows able to be resized to any monitor setup? I have an Ultrawide and would like to have the iso view, regular view, and dwarf therapist plugin all displayed nice and neat like. Is that a possible thing?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The 3d viewer has a tendancy to crash, I've never got it to work for more than a couple of minutes... The windows are fully resizeable and you can zoom in and out with, I think, the square bracket keys.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nettle Soup posted:

The 3d viewer has a tendancy to crash, I've never got it to work for more than a couple of minutes... The windows are fully resizeable and you can zoom in and out with, I think, the square bracket keys.

Sounds good then, i'll forego the viewer for now and just stick to a tile pack or something.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

chaosapiant posted:

I've been eyeballing this game for years now, but never tried it. I'm thinking of getting that starter pack and diving in. Is that 3d/isometric viewer still working for the latest versions of this game? That looks sweet. Also, are the game windows able to be resized to any monitor setup? I have an Ultrawide and would like to have the iso view, regular view, and dwarf therapist plugin all displayed nice and neat like. Is that a possible thing?

If you're going to jump in right now, you should know that the dwarf psyche is currently particularly broken. Upon seeing anything that would make them upset, they will get a little bit stressed. They will also get stressed when they remember seeing the incident. They will also get stressed when they remember remembering seeing the incident. And so on. You either have to hack the game to make dwarves immune to stress or manually remove the stress (not too difficult), or build an idyllic fort where nobody ever sees anything bad.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

feelix posted:

If you're going to jump in right now, you should know that the dwarf psyche is currently particularly broken. Upon seeing anything that would make them upset, they will get a little bit stressed. They will also get stressed when they remember seeing the incident. They will also get stressed when they remember remembering seeing the incident. And so on. You either have to hack the game to make dwarves immune to stress or manually remove the stress (not too difficult), or build an idyllic fort where nobody ever sees anything bad.

This is why I moved on to Other Games after summer. Every source of stress permanently reduces morale and max morale, up to a point where your dwarves have all the sanity and Wille zur Leben of a wild hunt skeleton.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

feelix posted:

Is there a way to start with an older build that doesn't have this issue, or do I just need to wait it out?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a way to start with an older build that doesn't have this issue, or do I just need to wait it out?

You should be able to do that. I think the stress update was like 44.12 or 44.11?

e: or maybe 44.10?

feelix fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 31, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is the 2012 “Getting Started w Dwarf Fortress” book any good and useful? Or should I just stick to YouTube?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Is the 2012 “Getting Started w Dwarf Fortress” book any good and useful? Or should I just stick to YouTube?

Youtube and this thread will be a million times better on any questions you might have. IIRC there have been some decently big changes since 2012 including minecarts your dwarfs can put stuff in and push around on tracks.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Well I’ve got me DF game setup. I’ve generated several worlds over the last few evenings and tonight I’m gonna start game in earnest. Wish me luck! I’ll report my findings.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

A dwarf just went around punching half my fort to near-death because of all the King's mandates that were left unfulfilled. This included the King himself.

Edit: Is there any danger in setting Dwarf adulthood age at like... 3 years old? I don't mind having them around too much except that 12 years is forever in this game.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 1, 2019

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Captain Cappy posted:

A dwarf just went around punching half my fort to near-death because of all the King's mandates that were left unfulfilled. This included the King himself.

Edit: Is there any danger in setting Dwarf adulthood age at like... 3 years old? I don't mind having them around too much except that 12 years is forever in this game.

Setting the age to three years should be fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Make sure to change their growth sizes so they are adult sized at 3 years old as well