Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

VisAbsoluta posted:

Is poison effective in PvE too, though? Or is it only useful in PvP?

If anything, poison is too effective in PVE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm seriously in love with this game, third day with 6+ hours clocked

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Finished the guttergulch! On the one hand that was a pretty fun area full of nasty tricks and ways to die that made me laugh. I really liked the Gutter in particular because there's just something so satisfying about lighting all the torches.

But on the other hand it was way too short. Disappointing that there are only two areas and the only boss is the great soul holder. Probably shouldn't have saved this one for last.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

killstealing posted:

It's good as heck

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Anyone else unable to summon? I see the summon signs but it always times out.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Multiplayer might be hosed up atm. I'm watching noobest stream and he can't invade in any area.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It's Tuesday and it's Steam.

Steam and Tuesday evening don't go together.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Holy moly, durante's latest version of GeDoSaTo for dark souls 2 adds HDR bloom and tone mapping, that combined with bokeh DoF and volumetric SSAO makes the game look amazing.

Dude's a graphics wizard.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Captain Oblivious posted:

Dickwraith sparring works the same way, as it turns out.

You can not be loving serious. :what:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Oh good, I'm not the only one.

I found my perfect outfit and am content...

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 21, 2014

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

killstealing posted:

It's bad for my College. :( I am the same way.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Stringbean posted:

Oh good, I'm not the only one.

I found my perfect outfit and am content...

Steam went down, you probably just didn't notice the message saying so when it kicked you out of the server. It's back up now though so if you quit and rejoin it'll probably put you back online.

Steam is bad at Tuesdays.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Glad to hear other people are having issues with online too, I found out when storing some items in my bag at the Iron Keep bonfire the game decided to poo poo itself and be completely unresponsive. I thought my save had corrupted itself or something from not quitting properly.

Well actually, I thought my save got corrupted because when I wasn't getting summoned for some reason I checked my sign and saw this

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

cat doter posted:

Holy moly, durante's latest version of GeDoSaTo for dark souls 2 adds HDR bloom and tone mapping, that combined with bokeh DoF and volumetric SSAO makes the game look amazing.

Dude's a graphics wizard.

It looks nice, the default settings need to be tinkered with to find something optimal. There's a little too much BLOM in some areas.

unrelated: sometimes you wear the wrong thing to your coronation, and you don't realize...until it's right in your face :cry:

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Steam went down, you probably just didn't notice the message saying so when it kicked you out of the server. It's back up now though so if you quit and rejoin it'll probably put you back online.

Steam is bad at Tuesdays.

I'm still unable to invade or summon. It might take the servers some time to unfuck themselves, it took several hours the last time there were server issues like this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

turtlecrunch posted:

It looks nice, the default settings need to be tinkered with to find something optimal. There's a little too much BLOM in some areas.

unrelated: sometimes you wear the wrong thing to your coronation, and you don't realize...until it's right in your face :cry:

You shouldn't have skipped leg day.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

Well, she's definitely not Sharon Stone that's for sure.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Cowcaster posted:

I think he must be looking at the weapon stats in the inventory and not equipped since you don't get the "+ so-and-so" damage bonus from scaling on that screen.

edit: Just to show what I mean,

equipment screen:

inventory screen:

double edit: Actually after taking a look at the values on the wiki for each weapon I have no idea how he could come up with those numbers, at all.

What armor is this? It's so awesome

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
That's the armor you get for reaching Rank 2 in the Dragon Remnants. You get a Dragon Stone which, when used, causes you to grow a suit of Dragon Armor out of your flesh that can't be removed until you die.

The defenses on it aren't bad at all for how light weight it is.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Bob NewSCART posted:

What armor is this? It's so awesome

Dragon Torso and Head Stones.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

turtlecrunch posted:

What armor is that?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Man, I really wish DK2 had cloud saves on Steam. Now I have to reconnect my old hard drive because I assumed I wouldn't need to copy the save file.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Wanting to put together a reasonably low SM character for pvping with some flexibility and I like the powerstance estoc moveset/range. Tired of big heavy slow STR/FAI builds.

http://gamehubbs.com/darksouls2/builds/2306

Both estocs would be dark infused, as would the staff. Might go for Stone ring instead of abyss seal depending on the fight. I really wish the dragon body stone only changed your body instead of your body+head, or I'd rock with the black dragon bodyarmor and a utility headpiece/hood.

Swathe to force rolls into GRS, g.combi to punish parryspam and people getting up from guard break/crit.

Thoughts/viability/suggestions?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

After dying to Vendrick three times in a row due to him hopping to the walls and firing that curse bolt at me, I finally murdered him and sat the throne (after murdering his wife who is the reincarnation of a primordial gorilla-dude. Don't worry, V, I don't kink-shame).

Fig. 1: Vendrick Lamar and Aldia's tour after killing the Giants.

GOTY 2014, y'all. I'm considering playing through King's Field 3 and 4 sometime this year just to tide me over until Beast's Souls or what have you comes out. Until then, I gotta protect some bells on my DEX dude.

Dirty Job posted:

What armor is that?

Looking Glass Knight's armor.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Could I do an entire playthrough with stabby weapons like estoc, rapier, Espada Ropera, Ricard's rapier? Would it be a pain in the rear end?

Also, I tried parrying and riposting and I'm getting wrecked badly. poo poo.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

VisAbsoluta posted:

Is DEX really as gimped as people say? Any pointers of weapons/builds I should aim for? I think this will be my next character.

I like powerstanced curved swords and daggers. Fun 2-hit L1 combos, fairly speedy, and really good for stunlocking and critical hits against enemies that're vulnerable to them. Dex builds are fine, they just aren't as ~optimal~ as magic builds so people are down on them.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Thanks for the DEX answers, guys!

Glad I'm not the only one who calls him King Kendrick.

molluskmoth
Nov 25, 2013

It's a cult.
Mainly used by speedrunners, but probably an annoyance for pvp soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAe442j4eB8

Binoboosting.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

For the record, nothing is nearly as powerful as magic builds, so don't think DEX-heavy builds are alone in that. Strength builds are probably a little more forgiving because they let you wear heavier armor and stuff but yeah.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

molluskmoth posted:

Mainly used by speedrunners, but probably an annoyance for pvp soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAe442j4eB8

Binoboosting.

That sure is a thing we already heard all about.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I cut off her tail but I got no tail :(

A least it looks like we're having some bitching snake steaks tonight.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I've really not been loving my time in NG+. for me it's pretty much highlighting all the flaws I had with the game (particularly bosses) and I find PvP to be much less interesting since I keep coming across what feels like the same three builds. I'd almost rather just roll a new character and do low soul memory PvP.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cardboard Box posted:

I find PvP to be much less interesting since I keep coming across what feels like the same three builds. I'd almost rather just roll a new character and do low soul memory PvP.

This really is the only way to play Dark Souls. The way they changed things up with NG+ does sound interesting, so it's a shame I'll never find out because high level PvP is such irredeemable garbage.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

it'd be less bad if there was a level cap. I think letting people eventually become masters of everything with 40+ in all stats is bad news for the longevity of this game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Azran posted:

Dragon Torso and Head Stones.

Just to clarify in case anyone was wondering, the torso stone will actually gussy up both your head and your torso, not just your torso alone.

No neat dragon body with the fancy hat of your choosing.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

This really is the only way to play Dark Souls. The way they changed things up with NG+ does sound interesting, so it's a shame I'll never find out because high level PvP is such irredeemable garbage.

This is exactly how I feel, making low soul memory guys is a tons more fun than fighting giant weapon magic wielding shitbag and binocular speed exploit assface.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Cowcaster posted:

Just to clarify in case anyone was wondering, the torso stone will actually gussy up both your head and your torso, not just your torso alone.

No neat dragon body with the fancy hat of your choosing.

And there's no dragon legs, because the entire covenant is about skipping leg day.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Daerc posted:

And there's no dragon legs, because the entire covenant is about skipping leg day.

Missed a primo opportunity for a Lost Izalith joke there buddy

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

DSauer posted:

I cut off her tail but I got no tail :(

A least it looks like we're having some bitching snake steaks tonight.

You can get stuff for it, just take it back to the Wyverian Artisan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

And that's not even remotely true. High level PVP has always been and will be the best because you have a bunch of stuff, other people can have a bunch of stuff, and most of the people you invade aren't complete dogshit. The SM mechanics increasing the number of people who level absurdly high is unfortunate, but outside of certain areas (namely Heide's) you don't really encounter them.

Low level PVP will always be the most boring because the majority of people you invade are so terrible that there's no real effort involved.