Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rime posted:

Doesn't work on my carrier up here in Canada, otherwise it'd have been alright. It has worse battery life and performance than the Z3C, paradoxically. :(

Well then you're stuck. Unless you get an iPhone SE or something, but if you have an investment in the Play Store that might not work.

The Android world will probably put out decent small phones again (because they want to chase the iPhone SE) but it might be a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rastor posted:

It isn't quite sub-5" (5.1" screen) but the Galaxy S7 isn't too terribly huge.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Sony-Xperia-Z5-Compact,Samsung-Galaxy-S7,Google-Nexus-5X/phones/9611,9817,9593

It's very comfortable in hand. For those with truly tiny hands, you can (if you turn on the feature) triple-press the home key to shrink things down to the bottom right.

They made their phone ADA compliant, hot drat.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So my boss gave me $700 towards a new phone, I'm weighing the Nexus 5x vs the 6P and I can't make up my damned mind. Part of me thinks that the 6P is too big but then again I don't often carry my phone around in my pants or something. The Nexus 5x seems like a good size but I hear all sorts of complaints about lag/throttling, heat and etc. A friend of mine complains the camera is slow to open too.

Has anyone used both a bit and could offer an opinion? I'm coming from a Nexus 4 so either one will likely be a big upgrade but I won't get this chance again for 3+ years so its pretty important to me.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The 5x is a lot better now that they pushed a patch for all the lag.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

The Gunslinger posted:

So my boss gave me $700 towards a new phone, I'm weighing the Nexus 5x vs the 6P and I can't make up my damned mind. Part of me thinks that the 6P is too big but then again I don't often carry my phone around in my pants or something. The Nexus 5x seems like a good size but I hear all sorts of complaints about lag/throttling, heat and etc. A friend of mine complains the camera is slow to open too.

Has anyone used both a bit and could offer an opinion? I'm coming from a Nexus 4 so either one will likely be a big upgrade but I won't get this chance again for 3+ years so its pretty important to me.

The heat\throttling complaints are actually about the Nexus 6P, but they seem to be overblown by most accounts.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

The Gunslinger posted:

Now that the 5X has been fixed they're both good phones. You might get a little longer shelf life of better performance out of the 6P in the long run but if you don't think you're going to like a big phone then don't get a big phone. The 5X is a great size and an attractive phone, so you really have to make the trade-off between a more normal phone size with good specs vs. a big phone with excellent specs.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Ok thanks guys I'll probably get a 5x then. Shame it doesn't have a 64GB option though, 16GB default configuration is a joke.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
If you want 64GB then spring for the 6P. Bigphone is love, bigphone is life.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Should maybe wait and see what people say about the HTC 10.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

Nah, not really

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

The Gunslinger posted:

Ok thanks guys I'll probably get a 5x then. Shame it doesn't have a 64GB option though, 16GB default configuration is a joke.

Don't be fooled through - there is still definitely lag with the 5x. It is dramatically improved, as have the majority of the issues with the camera, but apps still open slowly at times and there is occasional stutter and poor response to taps.

Its a fine device, but if I'm just given a whole $700 to pick any phone, I'm picking a GS7, GS7 Edge (+50 bucks) or Nexus 6p. If you want a Nexus, definitely the 6p and just suck it up re:size.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Marshmallow on the Galaxy S6 and edge for Verizon was released today

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (Snapdragon 650 SOC) to use on Rogers here in Canada and so far it's mostly flawless (no connectivity issues on both HSPA+ and LTE). Occasionally some things have Chinese characters in them, and I see that there is now Cyanogenmod for this phone. I haven't done any ROM flashing on Android phones since my old original HTC Desire back in, uhhh, 2010. Is there a good guide or glossary with all the terminology used these days? A lot of it is alien to me now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

On Terra Firma posted:

"This is like the time I paid $700 for a very nice picture frame but left the stock photo of a golden retriever in there and hung it on the wall"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to use Tasker or something to enable/disable Ambient Display in Marshmallow? It's really bad about doing stuff in my pocket compared to Moto's Active Display.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Did I miss something about the HTC 10 being crap before it's officially released or something?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's made by HTC, that's a sign to be extremely wary for years now. They haven't been well regarded in a long time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

On Terra Firma posted:

Did I miss something about the HTC 10 being crap before it's officially released or something?

No but you missed something about the last couple dozen HTC attempts at phones.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

spoof posted:

Long-press on the Return button if it's not on the bottom right by default. Whether it's the emoji button or Return seems to be app-specific.

Whoa

Yeah there's no return button in Hangouts so I guess that's why I rarely missed the emoji button. Mmm discoverable

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
With the price of handsets in Canada being stupid, I ended up having to buy an S7. Which is still huge and inferior to my Z3C, but gently caress if I'm paying only slightly less than this cost for 2-3 year old hardware that doesn't even have waterproofing. Phablets like the 6P are a joke. :negative:

At least I can flip it next month if the S7 Active has the same insane-o battery life the S6A did.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah, I've decided to hold out for the next gen Moto X. Which should be...summer, hopefully? Phones are frickin huge right now.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Yeah, I've decided to hold out for the next gen Moto X. Which should be...summer, hopefully? Phones are frickin huge right now.

Last 3 Moto X screen sizes:

2013: 4.7 inches
2014: 5.2 inches
2015: 5.7 inches

You're expecting a reversal in this pattern I take it?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Rastor posted:

Yes, because Apple made a small phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You people have really optimistic views on how fast a phone and be designed, manufactured, and shipped.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Whizbang posted:

Apple was dragged kicking and screaming to the big phone parade by Android, and relatively tepid response to a small off-cycle iPhone isn't gonna drag the market back.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

broken clock opsec posted:

Apple was dragged kicking and screaming to the big phone parade by Android, and relatively tepid response to a small off-cycle iPhone isn't gonna drag the market back.

Samsung will release some kind of Galaxy Mini to copy it, and then LG will make a bad copy of that, because that's how those companies work.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Whizbang posted:

Samsung will release some kind of Galaxy Mini to copy it, and then LG will make a bad copy of that, because that's how those companies work.

Samsung makes a number of niche-targeted phones, including smaller galaxy phones. This is something yet again Apple is following Android manufacturers on.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Whizbang posted:

You mean Apple updated their existing small phone.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Samsung makes a number of niche-targeted phones, including smaller galaxy phones. This is something yet again Apple is following Android manufacturers on.

But apple did it first, all of the apple fans will say.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Rastor posted:

There are a few companies dropping down in size from previous generations. It's happening across the board.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Rastor posted:

I figured that Moto X Pure was considered a different line due to the size, and everything I've seen written about the 2016 version marks it as a spiritual successor to the Moto X 2014. Is this expectation unwarranted? I would be fine with a 5.2 screen, but if it's larger than that then I suppose I'll buy an S7.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ages ago I put a website bookmark in a folder of SwipePad (you can add whatever you can to your home screen). However, I can't seem to figure out how I used to do that. I feel like it used to be in with the shortcuts. Does anyone have any idea how to do this nowadays?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

dissss posted:

You mean Apple updated their existing small phone.

It's as if having a diverse range of phones using common internals at different price points for the majority of consumers is a unique strategy.

You don't have to go back to the granite and chisel every time you wanna make a phone, I'd love a 2016 M7.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 2, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

None of the smaller Galaxy phones have nearly equivalent specs to the top-end flagships. They certainly won't receive the same level of support as the flagships. Only Sony has really done that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

None of the smaller Galaxy phones have nearly equivalent specs to the top-end flagships. They certainly won't receive the same level of support as the flagships. Only Sony has really done that.

Aside from not getting same-day iOS releases (which you're not going to get, because Android) you're not convincing anyone that giving a smaller phone the same specs from last year's flagship isn't something Android has been doing for years.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Small phones are bad. Embrace the fabulous phablet future.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Here's a little hint, before some loving piece of poo poo insinuates something stupid: I can't palm a basketball and I only wear my jorts to juggalo parties. Fucktards.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Aside from not getting same-day iOS releases (which you're not going to get, because Android) you're not convincing anyone that giving a smaller phone the same specs from last year's flagship isn't something Android has been doing for years.

He doesn't have to be convincing, the fact that he's correct should be enough.

Also it isn't a lack of "same day" updates, it's a lack of any at all. So aside from being completely wrong in every way you're totally right.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I bought a 6P today and I'm really glad I did because it's a very nice phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Smythe posted:

Small phones are bad. Embrace the fabulous phablet future.

It's ok to be wrong.