Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mulva posted:

Wait, poo poo.....Wraith shipped? This is entirely against everything I know about physics and theology.
It's the backers' PDF but I mean, they COULD just print this book and it would be Wraith 20th Anniversary Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Slimnoid posted:

I'd rather drop the turbofuck M80 onto something that deserves it. Like wherever the gently caress KotE came from.

Problem: The Demon Emperor Qin Shihuangdi has marshalled an endless army of the hungry dead, with the intent of conquering the Underworld and thus enslaving and/or devouring the souls of all who have ever died

Solution: Drop a spirit nuke on his capital with the intent of obliterating him and decapitating his imperial bureaucracy

Result: The Demon Emperor Qin Shihuangdi now has a spirit nuke, and is hellbent on striking back at the idiot mortal mages who deployed it

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'm not a fan of Wulgaru being presented the way it is. It's a highly specific tribal spirit with only a few analogues in other cultural groups - largely because the culture it comes from is from an extremely remote location and doesn't speak a language from the same groups as virtually any other blackfella language on the entire continent. Having it as the sole and defining entity for the Aussie deadlands seems a little peculiar. It's like plucking one minor Siberian dead spirit and declaring that representative of all Eurasia. It also isn't a spirit with a particularly strong level of recognition here, because again - it's basically from one tiny tribe with its own language in the middle of loving nowhere.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just woke up to the Wraith PDF in my email! It is like Christmas only I get to try (unsuccessfully) to get my friends to play the saddest game ever.

Hype as gently caress for Ghost times all the same

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

gtrmp posted:

Problem: The Demon Emperor Qin Shihuangdi has marshalled an endless army of the hungry dead, with the intent of conquering the Underworld and thus enslaving and/or devouring the souls of all who have ever died

Solution: Drop a spirit nuke on his capital with the intent of obliterating him and decapitating his imperial bureaucracy

Result: The Demon Emperor Qin Shihuangdi now has a spirit nuke, and is hellbent on striking back at the idiot mortal mages who deployed it

Whatever, I'll just drop another spirit nuke on him. He's only got what, two hands? Can't hold more than one spirit nuke I reckon. It'll be fiiiiiine.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

My initial impressions of Wraith 20. Mostly great so far, super glad that the timeline is moved back to not include the ending of the game line.

Buy why one earth would you give each and every archetype and skill its of entry on the table on contents? Things in alphabetical lists that are mostly on one of three pages probably. Don't need to dedicate that much space. Still, not a dumb as the Exalted index doing that for every charm alphabetically under the CHARMS index heading

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I didn't back it, but what has happened to Orpheus? Given that's where nuWW apparently delayed stuff.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
According to Bruce Baugh, apparently nothing much was changed.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

ZearothK posted:

I didn't back it, but what has happened to Orpheus? Given that's where nuWW apparently delayed stuff.

Does Swedracula hate Orpheus?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Does Swedracula hate Orpheus?

They took it back to make alterations and delayed everything for a month to make sure Orpheus was in line with their vision for... something they want to do with it. But apparently they didn't actually change much, so it's mostly just weird and unprofessional insofar as they decided to make text changes way after the appropriate time to do that.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's largely fine, a few minor quibbles regarding timeline etcetera but nothing leapt out as me a whole 'drat you dracula!' thing. It's almost disappointingly minimalist in its take on Stygia-Orpheus relations though.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Loomer posted:

It's largely fine, a few minor quibbles regarding timeline etcetera but nothing leapt out as me a whole 'drat you dracula!' thing. It's almost disappointingly minimalist in its take on Stygia-Orpheus relations though.

I think they've caught on to people grabbing the books just to look for that stuff and have decided to dodge fallout by not dealing with it.

A bunch of them are doing an AMA on reddit, right now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnyxPathRPG/comments/7wmm86/onyx_path_publishing_with_another_ama/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

Dumb question - is that Orpheus as in Orphic Circle or Orpheus as in semi-beloved WW take on Ghostbusters?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Dumb question - is that Orpheus as in Orphic Circle or Orpheus as in semi-beloved WW take on Ghostbusters?

There's something weird in the neighborhood.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Dawgstar posted:

Ghostbusters. The interesting thing about the Orpheus chapter is that it presents the development of Orpheus parallel to the goings-on in the Dark Kingdoms, rather than waiting to play around in the gameline's wreckage. It's some pretty fertile ground to explore.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Well, now I know what I'm doing for the rest of the day!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I Am Just a Box posted:

Ghostbusters. The interesting thing about the Orpheus chapter is that it presents the development of Orpheus parallel to the goings-on in the Dark Kingdoms, rather than waiting to play around in the gameline's wreckage. It's some pretty fertile ground to explore.
Yeah, it's set up - if memory serves me - so that Orpheus and the Hierarchy aren't really aware of each other, in part due to Orpheus's policy of not deeply engaging with the natives and in part just because the Underworld is vast and the Hierarchy has a lot of poo poo to do.

The pigment/hue wraiths do come up although they seem to be recent enough that it isn't yet anything more than an oddity to the Underworld.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

So on top of a (reportedly cool) 60-page artbook comic thingy filling up the book before you even get the table of contents, I hear the table of contents goes deep enough into subheadings that it's 8 pages long itself?

:wtc:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

So on top of a (reportedly cool) 60-page artbook comic thingy filling up the book before you even get the table of contents, I hear the table of contents goes deep enough into subheadings that it's 8 pages long itself?

:wtc:

The kickstarter update did say the Table of Contents and Index were still a work in progress. There's still hope.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Huh, there doesn't seem to be any Merits and Flaws in the book. This is different from all other 20 releases.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but since this the OPP thread in general, what are Pugmire and Monarchies of Mau like? I just discovered they are things that exist.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
D&D 5e with a fun and well made new setting. So it depends on how much you like D&D 5e.

The lore and writing is fantastic though

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Twibbit posted:

D&D 5e with a fun and well made new setting. So it depends on how much you like D&D 5e.

The lore and writing is fantastic though

Can confirm.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
So after a long break because I kept having poo poo come up in my life, we finally got to play another session of Promethean today. Today's session ended with the party sneaking into the basement of an Alchemist hideout and waiting for them to all go to sleep so that they can murder the Alchemists in their sleep. So I think we're learning about the human trait of ruthlessness!

Also I gave them 3 beats for doing nothing because they managed to contact me during our usual game time when I was unable to run a game each week and I feel it's important to always reward people for attendance. I've been burned by people not showing up too many times.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Xinder posted:

Also I gave them 3 beats for doing nothing because they managed to contact me during our usual game time when I was unable to run a game each week and I feel it's important to always reward people for attendance. I've been burned by people not showing up too many times.

Wow. This may be the best advice I have seen in regards to roleplaying.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
It's actually one reason I'm loathe to start using group beats, even though it'd probably make things easier to keep track of. I like to wield *lack* of beats as a punishment if people don't show up to a session one week. If I get plenty of warning, I'll give them one anyway but if someone just doesn't show I don't like rewarding that.

I guess I sort of treat my players like dogs I'm trying to train.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pugmire sounds like a less grim and dirty Canardo.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, so, Wraith20 seems to have made it a point to make Stygia less grimdark-style pants-on-head awful (instead they're just really very bad), with the clarification that the Hierarchy doesn't actually hunt all Heretics and that just searching for Transcendence or the Far Shores on your own isn't a crime.

There's also a lot of discussion about wraith economics, and about what you do if you're just not down with the whole currency-made-from-weeping-lobotomized-souls thing (barter, and get along surprisingly okay because you have lots of people who share your opinion to barter with).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Xinder posted:

I like to wield *lack* of beats as a punishment if people don't show up to a session one week.
I really, really hate this. I understand why so many people like the concept but it's typically spawned from a false premise that we should have moved past in these 40-odd years of TTRPGs as a hobby and a culture. You should never punish people for not showing up, not only because by doing so you're making the game inevitably like a job and that inherently is a bad idea, but also because it's a needlessly stressful, needlessly passive-aggressive method of attempted behavior correction. Instead of saying "you weren't here so no beats for you!", instead ask "hey why haven't you been showing up lately? Should I keep planning for you to show up, and if so, what can we do to get you here on time regularly?" Maybe your player is just going through some poo poo with their work/home/brain. Maybe they don't like how the game is progressing. Maybe they do like the game, but they're now an xp behind everyone because of a handful of events that took priority over pretending to be a frankenstein, and that's further deprioritized your game.

tl;dr: if your game is good enough then "I don't get to play because I have to do something else" will be punishment enough.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Xinder posted:

If I get plenty of warning, I'll give them one anyway

It's not hard to tell me "I can't make it this week". Hell, my "plenty of warning" extends to like an hour before the game. If you can't afford me the decency to say something that far in advance, I think you can afford to not have a beat this week. I'm not killing their cat or something.

e: It is really weird how angry you are about this since you seemingly don't understand me at all. I always ask like the day before a game to all my players "Hey can you make it tomorrow? Cool." And if someone says no and we have too few players I offer to postpone the game a week if we gotta. I have a problem with people saying they're coming and then not doing so. Not sure why that's something that makes me a villain.

Xinder fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 11, 2018

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I don't like using the game's mechanics in a punitive way, and I generally dislike asynchronous XP, but I really don't have a lot of sympathy for people who can't be an adult and just tell me they can't make a given schedule. I've been fortunate enough to never have a catpissman problem in my gaming life, but holy poo poo I've put up with enough flakiness from gamers to last a thousand lifetimes.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I totally get disliking asynchronous XP, but I've never had someone complain about not getting one when they didn't show up. If we sat around an hour waiting for you to show up only to text me back 90 minutes after we were supposed to start, I'm gonna be pretty pissed about it. And so are the other players who have been sitting with me waiting. Hell, I've only gotten two responses: Nothing because they don't care and I end up eventually kicking them from my game after the 5th time they do this to me, or an apology and we talk and figure out what happened. And I've not got too much sympathy because 90% of the time it's "I took a nap" or "I forgot"

Everyone else gets a free beat for showing up and they all enjoy it and feel more motivated to show up each week. If I didn't give attendance beats, there would just be a lower power curve.

Honestly, since I started doing this it hasn't happened much at all because people are now much more motivated to actually be like "Hey, I won't make it" if they can't make it. Now they get rewarded for warning me.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
^^^Wait 10-15m tops and then start without them and I guarantee you'll be a lot less salty over NCNS.

Xinder posted:

It's not hard to tell me "I can't make it this week". Hell, my "plenty of warning" extends to like an hour before the game. If you can't afford me the decency to say something that far in advance, I think you can afford to not have a beat this week. I'm not killing their cat or something.

e: It is really weird how angry you are about this since you seemingly don't understand me at all. I always ask like the day before a game to all my players "Hey can you make it tomorrow? Cool." And if someone says no and we have too few players I offer to postpone the game a week if we gotta. I have a problem with people saying they're coming and then not doing so. Not sure why that's something that makes me a villain.
I'm not angry at you, so maybe paint yourself with that brush. You didn't make any mention of any of this in your first post, so how was I supposed to know? Your "plenty of time" could be an hour, it could also just as easily be a day or two days or a week. Regardless of that, it's still a poo poo idea to try to punish your players. At all. This falls under the general header of "don't punish people IC for OOC problems" and is pretty high up on the Dick Things To Do list. If you feel the need to do this, instead have an adult conversation about the actual problem and how to fix it. I'd start by coming from a position of mutual respect instead of thinking of them as dogs that need to be trained, but that's just me.

Edit: and that conversation can in fact be as short as "dude are you gonna show up or not? If not, just say so and I'll fill your seat, no bad blood. Because I can't make a good game with a rotating cast." I haven't had to deal with that kind of thing since I stopped trying to fix people.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 12, 2018

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Yawgmoth posted:

^^^Wait 10-15m tops and then start without them and I guarantee you'll be a lot less salty over NCNS.
I'm not angry at you, so maybe paint yourself with that brush. You didn't make any mention of any of this in your first post, so how was I supposed to know? Your "plenty of time" could be an hour, it could also just as easily be a day or two days or a week. Regardless of that, it's still a poo poo idea to try to punish your players. At all. This falls under the general header of "don't punish people IC for OOC problems" and is pretty high up on the Dick Things To Do list. If you feel the need to do this, instead have an adult conversation about the actual problem and how to fix it. I'd start by coming from a position of mutual respect instead of thinking of them as dogs that need to be trained, but that's just me.

Edit: and that conversation can in fact be as short as "dude are you gonna show up or not? If not, just say so and I'll fill your seat, no bad blood. Because I can't make a good game with a rotating cast." I haven't had to deal with that kind of thing since I stopped trying to fix people.

Well I'm sorry but your first post seemed incredibly aggressive to me. Which I'd wager is probably painted by your personal experiences as much as mine. But my experiences have been exactly the opposite: I have an open communication policy with my players and they all know it. I start late, end early, skip weeks, sometimes even change the day we play on if someone gets a new job. All they have to do is talk to me. If someone can't do that, I try to reach out to them. Despite this, I've still gotten burned so many times by players who flake out. I spend 5~10 hours per week planning sessions built around the PCs I have. I try to make the game a communal thing as much as possible so that everybody is having fun. If someone can't show up, I'll do my best (even if it has to be last minute) to rewrite the session so that we don't need them this week. If they don't tell me anything, I can't do that. I also tend to run smaller parties, so if 2 or 3 people no-show on me, I simply can't run that week. If I can't run that week, I'd like to know that so that I can warn the other players and also not bother to get excited.

The "train them like dogs" thing was more of a joke. I love my players, they're all my friends after all. I rarely play with people who I'm not already friends with, and usually if I do we become friends fast by the nature of the game.

My system doesn't do anything for making people actually show up, I know that. If something is going on in their life, I can't fix that. What it does is teach them to loving say something to me because I don't like getting blind-sided. And it worked extremely well at that. It almost never happens anymore. This is the system I had to start implementing because of a problem which it has since solved, not a dick thing I just decided to do one day for kicks.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Let me defend the merits of my preferred solution to the same problem, which is to say nothing at the time but make fun of them for being flaky for the rest of their lives. First,

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, so, Wraith20 seems to have made it a point to make Stygia less grimdark-style pants-on-head awful (instead they're just really very bad), with the clarification that the Hierarchy doesn't actually hunt all Heretics and that just searching for Transcendence or the Far Shores on your own isn't a crime.

There's also a lot of discussion about wraith economics, and about what you do if you're just not down with the whole currency-made-from-weeping-lobotomized-souls thing (barter, and get along surprisingly okay because you have lots of people who share your opinion to barter with).
They also introduced relicsteel, which frankly patches a pretty big gap in the situation if you think about it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Man Wraith is real real good. There are are some wonky bits [I'd basically ignore the little sidebar on how Disciplines work for Risen for instance, as it makes the Risen pay more for less power and it needs some editing. At least, I assume someone has told them "Endurance" should be "Stamina" at this point.], but it's mostly just beautiful and well written and just a nice update of basically everything that's ever been in Wraith, ever. Granted it's like 510 pages even without Face of Death, so I'mma probably have to read this like 3 times to make sure it sinks in.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
A friend of mine, who wanted to play in my Hunter game but was too busy, ran his first RPG session of one of the Star Wars games with his buddies and invited me over. We had fun but when we done, he asked if I would run a horror game for them.

While I would love to run Vampire or Mage, I figure I should just start them off with a mortals game to get their bearings. So I ask this: what is the best Dark Era? I think putting a lens on a certain time and place for the game would help them with character ideas and motivations.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

crime fighting hog posted:

A friend of mine, who wanted to play in my Hunter game but was too busy, ran his first RPG session of one of the Star Wars games with his buddies and invited me over. We had fun but when we done, he asked if I would run a horror game for them.

While I would love to run Vampire or Mage, I figure I should just start them off with a mortals game to get their bearings. So I ask this: what is the best Dark Era? I think putting a lens on a certain time and place for the game would help them with character ideas and motivations.

I don't know if there is really a best Dark Era. Your best bet is honestly to skim through them all and see what appeals to you most. Most of them are really good, providing you want to pick up what they're putting down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Xinder posted:

I don't know if there is really a best Dark Era. Your best bet is honestly to skim through them all and see what appeals to you most. Most of them are really good, providing you want to pick up what they're putting down.

The best Dark Era is the one you or your players give a poo poo about. I'd give them a list of all of them you're interested in running, with the supernatural context stripped out, and see which one they bite down on. Unless you want to make it your mission to make History Come Alive, there are few things as boring as a historical setting you don't give a poo poo about.